WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

GT Performance Engines

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Everyone knows Larry did Gary's stuff forever.

Here's the thing about Carson...he turns every nut and bolt on every engine he builds...he doesn't have a guy that does the long block, another guy that does heads. He does it all so there is no doubt that it was done the way it is supposed to be done. He build very conservatively so his engines last. He has spent better party of 50 years perfecting his craft and his reputation speaks for itself. I am sure Gary will be very happy with him going forward.

Carson may have an equal out there (I personally doubt it) but there is without a doubt no one better.

I put the smiley because it was all in fun.

I know that both have their loyal followers. Wasn't looking to get into a Carson vs Larry debate. Both do great work and they each have their place in the Predator legacy. They've been building motors longer than I've been alive. It just so happens I have Peto power.

I'm a Brummett fan too. Carson's backlog of customers is a true testament to his talent. He's one of the few unique builders and has built an impressive customer base.

My apologies for implying otherwise...

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I put the smiley because it was all in fun.

I know that both have their loyal followers. Wasn't looking to get into a Carson vs Larry debate. Both do great work and they each have their place in the Predator legacy. They've been building motors longer than I've been alive. It just so happens I have Peto power.

I'm a Brummett fan too. Carson's backlog of customers is a true testament to his talent. He's one of the few unique builders and has built an impressive customer base.

My apologies for implying otherwise...

None taken at all. Your statement above is spot on!

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
If for some reason Teague / Boostpower doesn't tickle your fancy Dave would probably be my next call. There's lots of smaller guys that are talented building as well (Obnoxious)

RD

Thanks for the mention Dave.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Truth is you will always hear from the squeaky wheel. People that get good work don't generally talk a whole lot about it. I have heard something bad about every engine builder mentioned in this thread except for Carson. I've meet everyone mentioned, except Carson.

Just curious what you have heard bad about me, PM if you like.

I've known Carson Brummett for around or just over 50 years I think, my dad helped his dad with the race boat, and my love of boats and particularly engine building grew from time spent at that shop.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I've known Carson Brummett for around or just over 50 years I think, my dad helped his dad with the race boat, and my love of boats and particularly engine building grew from time spent at that shop.

the only thing I have heard is that you don't charge enough for your work....not sure if that's a bad thing though :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Small shop in a garage / not a legit operation. No recourse or ability to make things go right "If" they happen to go sideways. Granted you do the job right shit doesn't go sideways, but everyone spends there time in the barrel sooner or later. You also don't have the resources to tune EFI's etc.. that some of the larger shops do in house.

That's basically the only downside if we are speaking honestly. Everybody has their pro's and con's. Your pro's are you take your time, do it right, and there's only one set of hands on the motor and it's the guy you talk too.. Not employees etc. I also believe your HP #'s to be far more accurate than some claimed by others.

RD

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Small shop in a garage / not a legit operation. No recourse or ability to make things go right "If" they happen to go sideways.

RD

I don't know about that one. If I was doing work out of my home, where my family slept at night, I wouldn't do anything that would attract any type of BS to the place I also call home. Talk about always have to look over your back.

My mechanic at the river, runs a shop from his house and I've never heard a bad story about him.

Another great engine builder, Mike Miller, runs a shop from his house. I think Bostick runs his shop from his home too.

I know two guys personally, who have beat the hell out of engines that Barry built, that still run. :thumbsup

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I don't know about that one. If I was doing work out of my home, where my family slept at night, I wouldn't do anything that would attract any type of BS to the place I also call home. Talk about always have to look over your back.

My mechanic at the river, runs a shop from his house and I've never heard a bad story about him.

Another great engine builder, Mike Miller, runs a shop from his house. I think Bostick runs his shop from his home too.

I know two guys personally, who have beat the hell out of engines that Barry built, that still run. :thumbsup

Exactly. Not everyone is a shady asshole.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Not to bang on ol' RD, but to those who would look down on a "garage guy".......

SBP also started inside a garage at home with two straight up CNC machines that were used and I had plenty of jing to make good on anything I screwed up.

I only moved from my house because the first, and later, second, new machine I bought were way too big for my garage. Otherwise, I would be happier to have stayed in my garage.

Cheaper with much less overhead to pass along.

Brian

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
GT did my EFI turbo motor. 2 years running with no problems.
In your posission I'd go for the whipple upgrade by Teague. spend 20k and get an 825...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Uhh Doesn't RD run a machine shop and a t-shirt / website business from his garage/house?

uh I have machines in my house for personal use.. I occasionally help out some friends. the rest is web based.

I wasn't knocking Barry I was pointing out that there are certain limitations with having that type of a business in that setting.

I'd have zero problems having Barry build me an engine.

wishiknew

Reaction score
uh I have machines in my house for personal use.. I occasionally help out some friends. the rest is web based.

I wasn't knocking Barry I was pointing out that there are certain limitations with having that type of a business in that setting.

Does GT advertise here ?

bripar77

Reaction score
GT has done a lot of work on my boats over the last 15 years. Lots of projects lots of engines and for the most part
has done a great job. Gary is very Accessible ie: I can reach him by phone just about anytime. Have been without my 36 Skater
with 1100 GT Quad Whipple Motors ( which where in the boat for at least 5 years without issues) for the last 3 years after
selling it but when I get another Go fast Boat I am sure I will have GT do the work. Great Crew over there as well.

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
I kinda like advanced racing engines outta Downey ca. Heath Hiebert deff doesn't have Carson, gt, teaugeness, or alexi status, but he builds a solid motor and does all his own machine work, build and dyno all in house. Builds every motor himself. One thing I can guaranty is that I've ran my junk that has come outta his shop a lot harder then 90% of the people on this forum and never had any issues with his motors that I didn't create. Here's a short vid of a junk flat tappet iron headed motor on a budget he did for me. 7,600 - 7,800 rpm for 25 miles

Last edited by a moderator:

bilge rat

Reaction score
I kinda like advanced racing engines outta Downey ca. Heath Hiebert deff doesn't have Carson, gt, teaugeness, or alexi status, but he builds a solid motor and does all his own machine work, build and dyno all in house. Builds every motor himself. One thing I can guaranty is that I've ran my junk that has come outta his shop a lot harder then 90% of the people on this forum and never had any issues with his motors that I didn't create. Here's a short vid of a junk flat tappet iron headed motor on a budget he did for me. 7,600 - 7,800 rpm for 25 miles

Badass video!!!:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Combined with the fact that Carson is one of the only guys with a dyno big enough to park and hold true big horsepower for minutes and minutes on end, not seconds, means he can really work on longevity, both mechanically, and in tuning.

I have seen him park a motor at 5,000+ making close to 1,500hp and just leave it sitting while he casually sips some iced tea, and then have a chit chat while the thing is is absolutely screaming on the other side of the glass. :p

"Don't you get nervous doing that?"
"Nah, I'd rather break it here than in the boat, easier to clean up the mess" :D

Not many Dynos around that can do what his does.

That just gave me a boner [emoji3][emoji1591]

robby dmax

Reaction score
Here are the options...

Add a whipple for $20k (Out of pocket $20k)
Sell 525 and build a motor (or buy a 600/700sci) for $35k (out of pocket $15k)

I have a Whipple on my 525 efi done by TCM and i have to say they did and absolutely an awesome job. So I would just do the Whipple on your 525 pull the heads off do a good valve job better rocker arms lifters and good springs and you then can raise the Rev limiter and make more power.
Then have Teague do there drive upgrade to there Platinum Drive.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
What I got from this post,

Dave stuck his foot in his mouth at least 3 times,

Gary Teague is not related to Bob Teague,

Predator, one of the fastest skaters in the nation now has Brummett power and not pipe bomb power,:D:D

Racey gave BB500 a boner.:D:D

And finally, Brummettt is the best motor builder but he sucks because his motors blow up on the dyno and he takes forever. :D:D:

Noted....

They all make mistakes, but the one motor builder that does the least is in Pasadena Ca IMO. When I was into this type of boating Carson did numerous engines and re builds for me with O issues and I beat the hell out of them. My Transmissions and 6 drives would ware out before the motor. I cant take credit for this saying, a great drive guy in Havasu said this, you want a Rolex or a timex when he talked about Brummett power.

If Carson's not for you, Teague-Teague would be the next in line. I have friends that have both of there power and are very happy.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

Not to mention that Barry has a launch ramp and test facility out front of his garage. :thumbsup

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
What is the overall consensus on GT Performance in Upland?

I spoke to Gary and got a quote on a 700hp engine (N/A Fuel Injected - 588ci). He seemed like a nice guy and knew what he was talking about...

I have 2 young kids so reliability is a MAJOR issue for me.

Leave it alone:)

Magics aren't really known for loving huge power and running 100mph.

There a bad ass deck boat with a ton of room and amenities.You already have more engine with a 525 than 80% of them built.

Seems like a ton of dough to drop to take the boat from 74 mph to 85 mph. You don't keep boats long enough and you are going to eat 70% of the upgrade on resale.

Better yet sell the magic for 80K and keep your eye out on a howard for 100K with a 600 and you will be $$$ ahead.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

There a bad ass deck boat with a ton of room and amenities.You already have more engine with a 525 than 80% of them built.

Seems like a ton of dough to drop to take the boat from 74 mph to 85 mph. You don't keep boats long enough and you are going to eat 70% of the upgrade on resale.

Better yet sell the magic for 80K and keep your eye out on a howard for 100K with a 600 and you will be $$$ ahead.

X2
Sell the magic and buy another boat with the power you want. That magic is a top dollar resale boat with a 525

prosthogod

Reaction score

Ya, buy my 30ft magic with twin Peto 588ci efi motors (670hp):D

skav

Reaction score
My friend didn't have the best experience wth them, but it's not my story to tell.

GT engines aren't reliable IMO, always needs to be worked on or rebuilt.

I know of a similar experience. Built at GT, tuned by GT and died on the lake. Took it to Teague, received incredible service and has been flawless since then.

Englewood

Reaction score

Why do you always have to be the voice of reason? Now I'm starting to think I'm just being greedy. Did my wife get ahold of you? :)

boatnam2

Reaction score
Why do you always have to be the voice of reason? Now I'm starting to think I'm just being greedy. Did my wife get ahold of you? :)

Getting ready to say the same thing, No one wants to haul ass in a deck boat besides the driver.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Take the 40k and buy a smaller fast boat with good resale to play with. I will tell you right now a 21' boat that runs 70 is a shit ton more fun to drive than a 28' deck that runs 85.

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
Take the 40k and buy a smaller fast boat with good resale to play with. I will tell you right now a 21' boat that runs 70 is a shit ton more fun to drive than a 28' deck that runs 85.

A21 foot boat that only ran 70 or 80 would be extremly boring .

AFUEL7067

Reaction score
Compared to a 28' deck boat at the same speed?

On a busy Havasu or Parker weekend with bad water you are hard pressed to hit 70 let alone 80+ in a 21' boat.

Ok cool that if thats the case why bother upgrading from a 65 mph merc package to something that on a good day may hit 80 but rides like shit on the river on weekends and is useless on Havasu ?

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious what a Boostpower or Teague 800 goes for these days?

49,999 complete 100% dyno tested and ready to go, premium parts. Some folks option em up but ours start at an 825 hp Supercharged. Our NA Efi IS 42,350
We do offer partial engines that use your motor mounts, bell housings, exhaust, couplers etc that are less. They start at 15k so it really depends on EXACTLY what you need. The cool part is you can pick and choose those items and get quoted. We also sell rotating kits that have all of the rings and bearing clearances prepped so you can assemble if you a hobbyist[emoji469]and of course we always have used power and perform full rigging service since 1986 IMG_0028.jpg [emoji1303] 877-Bpower-4U or 805/498-8888 is our service center [email protected]
IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0884.JPG

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
Race only engines are exempt from CARB and EPA regs. As for rebuilds, I need to go back and read the final draft that was approved. I recall that the rebuild issue was controversial at the time when we were doing the initial drafts. CARB was taking the position that an older engine (block) could be rebuilt, but it had to use the same specs (cam profile, piston style, compression, heads, etc.) as per the original engine manufacturer -- no modifications to enhance performance or possibly alter the emission characteristics/output. As for Boostpower, I would be interested to know if Alexi did complete the CARB and EPA approval process -- not seeing that mentioned on his website.

We are completing 3 certs this month. We do offer several certified engines for repower Auto now and certified aftermarket parts. Our chosen marine engines will be done soon and actually certified NOT the bs exemption temporary Cert others have [emoji469][emoji1303]

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
49,999 complete 100% dyno tested and ready to go, premium parts. Some folks option em up but ours start at an 825 hp Supercharged. Our NA Efi IS 42,350
We do offer partial engines that use your motor mounts, bell housings, exhaust, couplers etc that are less. They start at 15k so it really depends on EXACTLY what you need. The cool part is you can pick and choose those items and get quoted. We also sell rotating kits that have all of the rings and bearing clearances prepped so you can assemble if you a hobbyist[emoji469]and of course we always have used power and perform full rigging service since 1986 View attachment 514932 [emoji1303] 877-Bpower-4U or 805/498-8888 is our service center [email protected]
View attachment 514930 View attachment 514931

Kits and parts for your Powertrain IMG_9894.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Regardless of manufacturer or builder, it's difficult for me to wrap my head around the price of some of these new engines. The blown alky burner in my boat cost me 15K and the aluminum headed 468 in my chevelle $2500. Yes I bought both used, but I don't ever think I would spend 50g's+ on any engine. Carry on.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Regardless of manufacturer or builder, it's difficult for me to wrap my head around the price of some of these new engines. The blown alky burner in my boat cost me 15K and the aluminum headed 468 in my chevelle $2500. Yes I bought both used, but I don't ever think I would spend 50g's+ on any engine. Carry on.

Therein lies the rub. Someone took a fat loss to sell you both of those engines.

Not even close to an apples to apples comparison.

Build both of them from new parts and you will easily be double, or even eclipse, 15k for the boat motor and $2500 wont even accomplish a legit rebuild for the chevelle motor if you already had everything.

Boat motor

Block
Crank
Blower
Head components

Well over 15K in parts before you pay a machineshop to put a tool to them