WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Guitar Man

Dettom

Reaction score
Being a huge fan of blues guitarist, Joe Bonamassa, I bought his new documentary on Amazon Prime last night. Very well done. He had a lot of ups and downs and disappointments, before finally making it big, yet he remains grounded and humble. Highly recommend. For those who don’t know, I tell people, “He’s the best guitarist in the world that you’ve never heard of”.

DaveTic

Reaction score
Joe has rep as being an asshole, treating people like shit, and being full of himself. I think his attitude has limited his exposure.

Dettom

Reaction score
Joe has rep as being an asshole, treating people like shit, and being full of himself. I think his attitude has limited his exposure.
I have no idea. . But most extremely driven people have reputations like that, to one degree or another.

spectras only

Reaction score
Being a huge fan of blues guitarist, Joe Bonamassa, I bought his new documentary on Amazon Prime last night. Very well done. He had a lot of ups and downs and disappointments, before finally making it big, yet he remains grounded and humble. Highly recommend. For those who don’t know, I tell people, “He’s the best guitarist in the world that you’ve never heard of”.
I like Bonamassa too. Doyle Dykes is another greatest guitarist you never heard of. 👍

Love the tone of the Fender stratocasters

After listening Dykes playing Classical Gas, I'm throwing my guitar in the fireplace,haha

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
I have great respect for Joe Bonnamassa's technical ability. Very few that are better than him. I have seen several shows. Favorite was the three kings tour where he played music from Albert, Freddie, and BB. He rock's! But for me there is something missing. He plays a lot of notes well, but there are those that play fewer notes more soulfully and have a more genuine blues sound. Just my opinion.

500bbc

Reaction score
Seen Bonamassa a couple times. He puts on a great show.
Yes, he certainly does.
Joe3.jpeg
Joe.jpeg

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
Spot on, he‘s a completely full of himself. Theres a video of him playing with Billy Gibbons and Derek Trucks, and Joe just had to try and upstage both of them and play some lightning fast solo. A flurry of notes but no soul whatsoever. No class and no respect. Billy and Derek have more soul than that tool could ever have.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
i saw the thread title and though this was going to be about Jerry Reed

Ha, me too. You must be old too! 😁

I prefer Derek Trucks. He plays with way more soul and feeling. I've heard people say he plays like a soul singer sings. Plus, he has the whole Duane heritage thing going for him and his wife is an amazing singer and not bad player herself. Just listen to this endorsement by BB King.😁

cofooter

Reaction score
Ha, me too. You must be old too! 😁

I prefer Derek Trucks. He plays with way more soul and feeling. I've heard people say he plays like a soul singer sings. Plus, he has the whole Duane heritage thing going for him and his wife is an amazing singer and not bad player herself. Just listen to this endorsement by BB King.😁

That is what I'm talking about. Saw Bonnamasa and the Tedeschi /Trucks band at Red Rocks in CO. (If you've never been put it on your bucket list). Derek blew him away with style...............

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Greatest guitar player alive right now. That much talent in one body is going to be difficult to be around. Perfectionists aren’t ever pleased with where they are, and are only comfortable when they’re around others of like mind. I have everything he’s ever recorded on my playlist, and constantly get asked “ who’s that? “, followed by a “ what?” When I tell them. He’s committed his whole life to 1 thing, which is why he isn’t married.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
He is dang good, but yeah the vibe he gives off kinda sucks, LOL.
I love finding new artists. Especially guitar.
If you like straight up jazz guitar give a listen to Norman Brown, "that is the way love is"....he is incredible.
Another guy who has been around forever that is in his own world is Junior Brown. (Unrelated).
Junior plays rockabilly, country, surf guitar, I won't give any more away, LOL. IF you go listen look at the lady playing rhythm; she is his wife, watch her arm as she strums, she is like a dang Metronome...

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
He is dang good, but yeah the vibe he gives off kinda sucks, LOL.
I love finding new artists. Especially guitar.
If you like straight up jazz guitar give a listen to Norman Brown, "that is the way love is"....he is incredible.
Another guy who has been around forever that is in his own world is Junior Brown. (Unrelated).
Junior plays rockabilly, country, surf guitar, I won't give any more away, LOL. IF you go listen look at the lady playing rhythm; she is his wife, watch her arm as she strums, she is like a dang Metronome...

Big Junior Brown fan here. Dale Watson is another favorite.

DaveTic

Reaction score
Eric Henderson this guy is incredible. He actually tunes his fingernails with a file before he plays. 1st time my buddy recorded him he was like WTF are you doing. Then he played and it was off the charts good. Studied and I think he lived with Audrey Segovia form the age of 10. He has had is demons think he getting it figured out now.

Dettom

Reaction score
Seen Bonamassa a couple times. He puts on a great show.
Me too. I’d like to see him again next time if he comes out this way. If... they ever allow public concerts again.