WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gun/Bird Dog

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Picking up my new hunting partner next weekend. My boy (6) and I are headed to from LAX to Wisconsin and back. It’s also his 7th birthday, so it should be a memorable trip for him!

The breed is a Picardy Spaniel. Puppy draft is this Sunday and we’ll get one of the boys. Can’t express how excellent and communicative the breeders have been to work with.

I plan to do all the training myself and have been reading a ton of books. Joan Bailey’s “How to help gun dogs train themselves” was a good read. Now reading “Tips and Tales” by George DeCosta Jr.

I’ll try to document the journey, for those interested.

0807990F-D07B-4717-8BDD-F830C8A73CBB.jpeg
95EA8571-081E-455E-8FA2-2CB630F83BE0.jpeg
81975A91-C647-4FAB-8718-63476EE8B812.jpeg

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I'll be watching. My lab is due anytime now and we'll be taking the puppy home around the end of April.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Good looking pups! They draw a number and you pick as drawn after a initial deposit?

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Good looking pups! They draw a number and you pick as drawn after a initial deposit?

Draw is order of deposit. The breeders call several times throughout the process to find out what we’re looking for…. Boy, girl, zen pup, rambunctious pup, independent, family dog, hunting dog, etc.

Then they select 2-3 dogs that they believe meets our criteria and we draft the pup.

Riverryder

Reaction score
pics of parents?

sounds like a great bday trip for your son!

Riverryder

Reaction score
thos are some good looking dogs! i had to look them up.

have you had a bird dog before? always fascinated with people that have the ability to train these dogs to do stuff. mine only sit, go outside and stop barking when i tell them.

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
thos are some good looking dogs! i had to look them up.

have you had a bird dog before? always fascinated with people that have the ability to train these dogs to do stuff. mine only sit, go outside and stop barking when i tell them.

This will be my first true gun dog. I’ve had a lab and golden, but they weren’t trained.

Everything I’ve read about the pups, and have heard from the breeders, these dogs are natural hunters. A slow, consistent approach, with short lessons incorporated into a normal day works best. Over do it and push them to quickly will ruin the dog.

I have a nature trail right by my house that is perfect for training. Hopefully he’ll be in the field with me this October at 9 months of age. Don’t expect much this year given his youth, but 2023 should be a different story.

This should be an experience!

Riverryder

Reaction score
from the pictures of his parents looks like he will be doing exactly what the were meant to do!

Riverryder

Reaction score
How was night one?
How was the trip with your son?
I got my son and daughter dogs a couple months ago because they wouldn’t stop asking. They cry every time they have to pick up the dog poop now. Hahah

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
How was night one?

Crate training sucks, but it's a necessary evil. Night one and two were terrible, but it should get better by the weekend. Poor guy is missing his family and howls from about 1:30 am - 3:30 am.

How was the trip with your son?
I got my son and daughter dogs a couple months ago because they wouldn’t stop asking. They cry every time they have to pick up the dog poop now. Hahah

The trip was great and it'll be a memory both of us will never forget! Many frame-worthy photos that I'll cherish.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Nice looking pup and an awesome way to experience it with your son picking it up. Doing a new pup myself, on week 4, it can be a little crazy but getting better by the day.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Nice looking pup...my hunting buddy got an Field Bred Springer Spaniel about 3 years ago...went the same route you did, got her from a notable hunting breeder with long lines of hunting dogs...he had every intent on training her himself through books and videos...but quickly found out that it was too much and he wasn't equipped to do so, so he sent her off to hunt training camp for about 3 months...hes about $11k into this dog now and after our first hunt with her found out that shes a bit gun shy....she is ok with a hunter next to her shooting, but gets a little freaked out when she hears a gun shot away from her...so shes heading back to the trainer to break her of that....its alot of work, and according to the breeder and trainer, not every dog will make it as a hunter, no matter the linage or training...

Since he has the flusher, I was looking at getting a pointer of some type....but I don't have $10k or more for a pet if it ended up not being a hunter...I am now leaning towards skipping the puppy stage and buying a proven adult hunter.

Riverryder

Reaction score
what does a adult hunter cost? wouldnt it be cheaper to just rent dog? i would think having a hunting dog would have to doit alot for the thing to keep its skills or going 3-4 times a year enough for them?
@Badchoices03

Badchoices03

Reaction score
what does a adult hunter cost? wouldnt it be cheaper to just rent dog? i would think having a hunting dog would have to doit alot for the thing to keep its skills or going 3-4 times a year enough for them?
@Badchoices03
A lot of hunting guides, who hunt dogs a lot, don't usually look at their dogs as pets, so they hunt them until they are about 4-5 years old, then shuffle in the younger dogs and sell the older dogs...you can get an older GSP, ready to hunt for around $3500 - $5500....these are dogs that you can pick up from the ranch, learn their commands, and go straight to the field.

Of course you have to keep their skills fresh throughout the year, but the older they are and the more they have been hunted, the less you have to keep them fresh...for me, they would probably be hunted about 10 times during the season...and I would probably learn how to keep up the training with easy exercises the rest of the year

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Nice looking pup...my hunting buddy got an Field Bred Springer Spaniel about 3 years ago...went the same route you did, got her from a notable hunting breeder with long lines of hunting dogs...he had every intent on training her himself through books and videos...but quickly found out that it was too much and he wasn't equipped to do so, so he sent her off to hunt training camp for about 3 months...hes about $11k into this dog now and after our first hunt with her found out that shes a bit gun shy....she is ok with a hunter next to her shooting, but gets a little freaked out when she hears a gun shot away from her...so shes heading back to the trainer to break her of that....its alot of work, and according to the breeder and trainer, not every dog will make it as a hunter, no matter the linage or training...

Since he has the flusher, I was looking at getting a pointer of some type....but I don't have $10k or more for a pet if it ended up not being a hunter...I am now leaning towards skipping the puppy stage and buying a proven adult hunter.

So much to consider when making the decision. I forgot how much work pups are but it’s a great way to build and develop our relationship. The Picardy is a pointer, and his natural ability shines even at such a young age (9 weeks). I’ve been super impressed with him so far.

Been conditioning him on commands this last week… Come, Sit, Kennel.

Introduced him to Quail scents and he went bananas! Picked up the scent trail immediately and got a few points from him.

Also working on noise conditioning…. With 3 kids in the house this is the easiest 😂. Last thing I want is a gun shy dog.

Started on leash training as well. Chewed the check cord for a couple of minutes and then forgot all about it.

It was a good first week home and Clash is adjusting well.

Riverryder

Reaction score
@Badchoices03 i know how people are with working dogs. My brothers the same way. I got one of his studs and he lives life like a king compared to his siblings. I love my dogs.

Family dogs are a lot of work. Couldn’t imagine how much work a purpose trained dog is.

3500 for a dog isn’t bad if you are going to use them for what they are. But I know hunting dogs have issues being close to the gun. Also they can’t truly be family dogs as they have the drive to work.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
So much to consider when making the decision. I forgot how much work pups are but it’s a great way to build and develop our relationship. The Picardy is a pointer, and his natural ability shines even at such a young age (9 weeks). I’ve been super impressed with him so far.

Been conditioning him on commands this last week… Come, Sit, Kennel.

Introduced him to Quail scents and he went bananas! Picked up the scent trail immediately and got a few points from him.

Also working on noise conditioning…. With 3 kids in the house this is the easiest 😂. Last thing I want is a gun shy dog.

Started on leash training as well. Chewed the check cord for a couple of minutes and then forgot all about it.

It was a good first week home and Clash is adjusting well.

That's awesome, so exciting when they have that natural instinct, makes training a whole lot easier and more fun.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
@Badchoices03 i know how people are with working dogs. My brothers the same way. I got one of his studs and he lives life like a king compared to his siblings. I love my dogs.

Family dogs are a lot of work. Couldn’t imagine how much work a purpose trained dog is.

3500 for a dog isn’t bad if you are going to use them for what they are. But I know hunting dogs have issues being close to the gun. Also they can’t truly be family dogs as they have the drive to work.

I have 2 family dogs already, IF (and thats a big IF) I do decide to go this hunting dog route, its going to be a hunter first, family dog second.

My wife has a small lap dog, shes old and going blind, we feel that shes not going to be around much longer, so we agreed that another dog of any type will not happen to after that..

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Been a while but Clash has doubled in size since I’ve got him. Weighs in at 27 pounds now. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, can’t believe his natural ability! These dogs are so smart and quick learners.

Been working on commands, noise conditioning, socializing, water introduction, retrieving, bird introduction, etc.

He’ll be a great bird dog!

5662C0D8-5389-45C5-B11E-B8A8A5F269F4.jpeg

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
Picking up my new hunting partner next weekend. My boy (6) and I are headed to from LAX to Wisconsin and back. It’s also his 7th birthday, so it should be a memorable trip for him!

The breed is a Picardy Spaniel. Puppy draft is this Sunday and we’ll get one of the boys. Can’t express how excellent and communicative the breeders have been to work with.

I plan to do all the training myself and have been reading a ton of books. Joan Bailey’s “How to help gun dogs train themselves” was a good read. Now reading “Tips and Tales” by George DeCosta Jr.

I’ll try to document the journey, for those interested.

View attachment 1095242 View attachment 1095243 View attachment 1095244
My uncle had one of these as his hunting dog. The pup was awesome

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
D9C57FC4-9904-457A-AAFD-6A2E2826E9F2.jpeg

Been a while since I’ve posted. Clash is getting better all the time. He’s still pointing on his own. Loves to chase birds that are flying away. His field search is improving and getting bigger and more fluid when he runs. He is definitely not gun shy.

I haven’t hunted him this season. Still needs more work, but hoping to get him out February - March at my club.