WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gun deaths Vrs Auto deaths

DLC

Reaction score
I was surprised that gun deaths outnumbered auto deaths, also surprising that suicides out number homicides.

I would have thought that auto deaths would have been a lot higher…. That’s why I looked it up. Everyone hears about gun deaths and not so much talk about auto deaths. Also No talk about mental health issues - why does suicide out number homicides ….

Take the data for what’s it’s worth.
Also things are measured differently there is talk about population, miles driven, age, number of license drivers, No stats on how many guns have been sold Or out in the population. I think stats can be sketchy and altered if things don’t have a standard….

I heard on KFI ( La area ) today that some guy got arrested and inside his apartment he had 7 firearms and 1,000 rds of ammo… I’m was thinking that’s not even worth reporting! 1,000 rounds is like being out of ammo.

These stats are for 2020

auto - 38,824 deaths

00A144DA-2767-48CF-9B54-1C763BEDECFA.jpeg

Gun - 45,222 deaths
suicide was 54% of all deaths
homicides were at 43 % of all deaths

age plays a ton on suicide vrs homicides

news flash -
young males kill each other from 15- 34 years old
&
older males kill themselves from age 45 up to 85

CDA81353-8A84-43FC-8FE9-E270BC5383C7.jpeg

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I do believe that they take and put suicide into the gun death numbers. It takes and bolsters their numbers on gun violence.
Only suicide by firearms. A gun death is a gun death. I don't see a problem with that, provided you also have the data on how many of the gun deaths are suicide. The sticking point is when people try to argue the number of deaths caused by gun violence using the gun deaths number. Suicide is not the same as gun violence.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Those do not look like the numbers I sourced from the CDC a while back for a beat down in the dungeon....

Whose data is this?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Just ignore the fact that everyone was locked down for a large part of 2020 due to the Fauci Flu.
True I forgot about that although it was nice when I was still working, nobody on the roads. I would imagine a lot of people that were depressed and crazy pulled the trigger after being locked up and prevented from living.

I really find it almost impossible to believe any statistics on anything, unless I personally compiled it myself because everybody has an agenda.

DLC

Reaction score
I do believe that they take and put suicide into the gun death numbers. It takes and bolsters their numbers on gun violence.
Absolutely

and
don’t have anything in their budgets for mental health issues…

that’s a HUGE number that makes guns laws more important

DLC

Reaction score
The automobile crash numbers seem low to me, I thought it used to be between 55 and 60,000 a year. Whose statistics are these?🤔
I used 3 web sites thru Google and they were fair close ### wise

please correct me - search yourself.

2020 didn’t have a lot of driving due to stay at home, lockdowns …. Gas /fuel went down due to lack of drivers.

DLC

Reaction score
Only suicide by firearms. A gun death is a gun death. I don't see a problem with that, provided you also have the data on how many of the gun deaths are suicide. The sticking point is when people try to argue the number of deaths caused by gun violence using the gun deaths number. Suicide is not the same as gun violence.
I Google gun deaths and found the breakdown …

you can get anything state by state but went nation wide

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
The automobile crash numbers seem low to me, I thought it used to be between 55 and 60,000 a year. Who’s statistics are these?🤔
New cars are so much safer than previously and getting better every year.

DLC

Reaction score
I was surprised myself…

with all these icy road pileups you’d think autos would be way higher….

this is a big issue for the anti gun group….

but
NO MENTAL HEALTH $$$ can’t blame it all on the gun….

Reactions: FCT

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I used 3 web sites thru Google and they were fair close ### wise

please correct me - search yourself.

2020 didn’t have a lot of driving due to stay at home, lockdowns …. Gas /fuel went down due to lack of drivers.
I wasn’t doubting your research I just wonder about the statistics and how they are compiled.

Reactions: DLC

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
New cars are so much safer than previously and getting better every year.
I believe that’s true, but I also believe it gives people a false sense of security, and they assume their car is going to save them, I was just making an observation, and I have not noticed a lack of accidents or bodies in 32 years on the road. Maybe things are getting better but I always figured with the increase in traffic fatality rates wouldn’t necessarily get better just because cars are safer. Now I’m rambling. 🤪

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I believe that’s true, but I also believe it gives people a false sense of security, and they assume their car is going to save them, I was just making an observation, and I have not noticed a lack of accidents or bodies in 32 years on the road. Maybe things are getting better but I always figured with the increase in traffic fatality rates wouldn’t necessarily get better just because cars are safer. Now I’m rambling. 🤪

I recall a study that stated automobile deaths actually increased after seatbelts were installed in all cars. The reason is blamed on people feeling more secure and safe, so they began driving faster.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I recall a study that stated automobile deaths actually increased after seatbelts were installed in all cars.
You'd have to include the rate of car ownership growth as well to make these statistics usable. I would guess car ownership rates grew pretty dramatically in the 60s and 70s.

clarence

Reaction score
I heard on KFI ( La area ) today that some guy got arrested and inside his apartment he had 7 firearms and 1,000 rds of ammo… I’m was thinking that’s not even worth reporting! 1,000 rounds is like being out of ammo.

2,000 is 1,000 and 1,000 is none.

dribble

Reaction score
Suicide, accidents (including hunting accidents) , justifiable homicide and police shootings are all used to pump those numbers up.

DLC

Reaction score
I wasn’t doubting your research I just wonder about the statistics and how they are compiled.
That I believe is cherry picked stats…

I looked at auto deaths because my thinking was there are so many other items that cause deaths and don’t get any attention….

If the mental health issues get addressed gun deaths should go way down….

Although, I’m concerned on how they go about fixing and reporting mental health issues

sirbob

Reaction score

Haha - I love your comment that 1000 rounds is like being out of ammo !

While many folks would think you are kidding or are an ammo freak, I totally get your point.

For a long time I was on a cycle where ordered 1000 rounds a month… until I felt I had enough handy. Just in case I needed them 😬

sirbob

Reaction score
1,000 rounds is like being out of ammo.

These stats are for 2020

auto - 38,824 deaths

View attachment 1195357

Gun - 45,222 deaths
suicide was 54% of all deaths
homicides were at 43 % of all deaths

age plays a ton on suicide vrs homicides

news flash -
young males kill each other from 15- 34 years old
&
older males kill themselves from age 45 up to 85

View attachment 1195358

Haha - I love your comment that 1000 rounds is like being out of ammo !

While many folks would think you are kidding or are an ammo freak, I totally get your point.

For a long time I was on a cycle where ordered 1000 rounds a month… until I felt I had enough handy. Just in case I needed them

😬

Markus

Reaction score
I guess the conclusion is that America is paying a very high price for its love of guns.