WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Guy Who Hit and Killed Five Cyclist in Vegas Charged with DUI.

bripar77

Reaction score
[

Oh for sure. I won't ever ride it again. I will drive to the dirt lot at the top of Nelson and ride down and back up. No need to be on a big hwy.

And to everyone who hates cyclist. I GET IT. But also remember there are guys like me and my wife out there that care and will do what we can to stay as far right as possible on not so great roads. They are people and have sons, daughters, wives and familes they want to get home to. It's not hard to give a little room and pass with caution and especially to those who are blatantly showing they want to share the road like I do.

The negative post never hurt my feelings because I know I am doing the right thing when out on the road. And when I drive and see cyclist, I slow down and give a full lane or wait until I can. I seriously can't remember a time that giving a full lane wasn't possible. I have never had to wait very long.

Just be careful out there everyone.
Thanks for standing up for us Cyclist. In Cal. if there is no bike line marked then we are legal to ride in the slow lane. I pay more taxes than most people that are supposed
to go to road maintenance and improvements. Riding a road bike is great fun and especially when riding in a group. Riding in a group make us more visible but it also means we need more run to be safe. The reason some cyclist have atitudes is because we constantly have to deal with idiot drivers who don't give us the
legal space they are supposed to give which in Cal. is 3' no matter what lane or shoulder we are in. Most of these idiot drivers are fat out of shapes pissed off fruitcakes.
I am as safe as i can be and i do everything in my power to stay away from cars, but in order to get real miles in it is impossible. I Have a big bright light and ride on the sidewalk in certain situations. I been riding for 50 years and been lucky so far. Give cyclist space. Some riders are dicks but very few.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'm biased . . . been driving PCH for 45+ years in So Cal. The 'Lycra Army' comes out in full force in the summer. Might as well toss that '3-Foot Law' in the trash, whoever wrote it must have never driven PCH . . . it's all 2 lanes in each direction w/ curbside parallel parking over much of it. So if you're driving in the right lane and there are cars parked along the curb, there is often not even 5 feet from your door to the parked cars. Put a bike in between them and cars going an average of say 40 mph, and you have a recipe for disaster. It's just stupid.
I've seen bikers 'flipped' when someone opens their door w/o looking back . . . I've seen collisions where bikers collided w/ surfers carrying their boards across PCH etc. You name it, I've seen it.
Funny story . . Years ago I had a killer single speed Cook Bros Racing Cruiser, super tricked-out boardwalk ripper . . . had a road biker pass me once just to be dick . . . so I spooled-up and passed him back, I did a little 'scratch' burn-out after I peddled passed him . . . I heard him shift gears and knew I was TOAST . . . he rips passed me and stands up on the peddles and tries to return the favor with a little 'scratch' burn-out of his own . . . he hits a patch of sand and just WADS IT UP, total yard sale !!! I laughed my ass off cause we never said a word or touched each other! I don't know how fast we were going but I can tell you it wasn't slow.
I get the whole exercise thing, .... and I'm sure they're mostly cool people . . .but I can think of a hundred ways of getting your heart rate up that doesn't involve huffing car fumes and putting yourself in danger of being ran-over. Not to mention how awful a driver would feel if he or she accidently hurt or killed a cyclist, it's just selfish IMO. There's a bunch of trail loops along side the Santa Ana and San Gabriel Rivers . . . I wish they'd just use them more.

bripar77

Reaction score
I am one of you guys who owns multiple boats and enjoy water skiing and boating and the whole performance boating industry. But I am a cyclist
as well so give me room when you drive up next to me or go to pass me.

Sherpa

Reaction score
back to the good ole' bikes in the slow lane for guys riding 4 across instead of a pace line.........

well, when all is said and done, if shit goes good, then there's no problems on either side.

when shit don't go so good, 1 side goes to the hospital, (or the morgue). the other possibly the body shop.

I've already rode enough on Schwinn Sting Rays, delivered news papers, etc as a kid, even back then: if you rode in

the street, you're an idiot. I still feel the same about it now.

--Sherpa

Justfishing

Reaction score
The pro bicycle guys are probably thesame guys that complain about slow drivers in the left lane or the snowbirds driving slow.

In many areas basically closing a lane results in a traffic jam. Which in turn leads to idiot drivers endangering other drivers and bicyclist.

A guy driving a car down the highway wouldnt be tolerated. Why should bicyclists.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
when I ride, I stay to the right,... I don't/ won't ride on roads where the speed limit is above 35 mph, I always travel single file.. when I drive if possible I go into the oncoming lane, or the far left lane,... if not i slow down and try to do the 3' rule, same with cars pulled of to the road side... I get a over lane, the road out to mead is tough because you try to get a little speed to get up the hill, most places though , there's plenty of room to pass safely if they stay to the right,... the group that rides out there on the weekend will not yeild and ride 2 or 3 across... and all say the same thing when ask them to move over..."we don't have to move"..... so this kinda shit happens,... like kids playing with guns..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
1608688626288.png
1608688626288.png

NRS 484.509 Operating bicycle on roadway.
1. Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall, except: (a) When traveling at a lawful rate of speed commensurate with the speed of any nearby traffic;

ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.
2. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
View attachment 954294 View attachment 954294

NRS 484.509 Operating bicycle on roadway.
1. Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall, except: (a) When traveling at a lawful rate of speed commensurate with the speed of any nearby traffic;

ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.
2. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

Per the DOT. " On multi-lane highways, cars must give cyclists a full lane of space. Additionally, motorists may only pass cyclists if they can provide them with a full lane or, on single-lane roads, three feet of berth. Bicycles are NOT required to ride on the shoulder of roadways. "

Just saying. Not saying it's safe or that I would do it. Just saying. ;)

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
commensurate
adjective
formal

UK

/kəˈmen.sjər.ət/ US

/kəˈmen.sjɚ.ət/

in a correct and suitable amount compared to something else:
so what it says is you have to be able to ride 75 mph to be out on a 75 mph hiway, or keep to the right...
ridding 5 abreast was breaking the law... and second.... being out in a 75 mph lane doing 5 mph was another law broke,.... this laws where put into place because they wanted to make sure no one got hurt riding a bike...

this is what the park ranger told me, but not only is it law in a fed. park, it's also a state hi way law...

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
commensurate
adjective
formal

UK

/kəˈmen.sjər.ət/ US

/kəˈmen.sjɚ.ət/

in a correct and suitable amount compared to something else:
so what it says is you have to be able to ride 75 mph to be out on a 75 mph hiway, or keep to the right...
ridding 5 abreast was breaking the law... and second.... being out in a 75 mph lane doing 5 mph was another law broke,.... this laws where put into place because they wanted to make sure no one got hurt riding a bike...

this is what the park ranger told me, but not only is it law in a fed. park, it's also a state hi way law...

Steve, DOT and Nevada state law says differently. All I know is most people are pretty good about giving room. When they see me over as far as I can get (when and if I am riding to Calville or something) they tend to move over too. It's all about sharing the road and respect.

Might be buying a new boat this year, so we will definitely hang out on Mead! If we don't, you can take us out! :D

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
NRS 484.324 Vehicles and bicycles.
1. The driver of a motor vehicle shall not:

(a) Intentionally interfere with the movement of a person lawfully riding a bicycle; or (b) Overtake and pass a person riding a bicycle unless he can do so safely without endangering the person riding the bicycle.
2. The driver of a motor vehicle shall yield the right of way to any person riding a bicycle on the pathway or lane. The driver of a motor vehicle shall not enter, stop, stand, park or drive within a pathway or lane provided for bicycles except: (a) When entering or exiting an alley or driveway; (b) When operating or parking a disabled vehicle; (c) To avoid conflict with other traffic; (d) In the performance of official duties; (e) In compliance with the directions of a police officer; or

3. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, the driver of a motor vehicle shall not enter or proceed through an intersection while driving within a pathway or lane provided for bicycles.
4. The driver of a motor vehicle shall: (a) Exercise due care to avoid a collision with a person riding a bicycle; and (b) Give an audible warning with the horn of the vehicle if appropriate and when necessary to avoid such a collision.
5. The operator of a bicycle shall not: (a) Intentionally interfere with the movement of a motor vehicle; or (b) Overtake and pass a motor vehicle unless he can do so safely without endangering himself or the occupants of the motor vehicle.

in section 4.b it's law to sound your horn,

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
NRS 484.324 Vehicles and bicycles.
1. The driver of a motor vehicle shall not:

(a) Intentionally interfere with the movement of a person lawfully riding a bicycle; or (b) Overtake and pass a person riding a bicycle unless he can do so safely without endangering the person riding the bicycle.
2. The driver of a motor vehicle shall yield the right of way to any person riding a bicycle on the pathway or lane. The driver of a motor vehicle shall not enter, stop, stand, park or drive within a pathway or lane provided for bicycles except: (a) When entering or exiting an alley or driveway; (b) When operating or parking a disabled vehicle; (c) To avoid conflict with other traffic; (d) In the performance of official duties; (e) In compliance with the directions of a police officer; or

3. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, the driver of a motor vehicle shall not enter or proceed through an intersection while driving within a pathway or lane provided for bicycles.
4. The driver of a motor vehicle shall: (a) Exercise due care to avoid a collision with a person riding a bicycle; and (b) Give an audible warning with the horn of the vehicle if appropriate and when necessary to avoid such a collision.
5. The operator of a bicycle shall not: (a) Intentionally interfere with the movement of a motor vehicle; or (b) Overtake and pass a motor vehicle unless he can do so safely without endangering himself or the occupants of the motor vehicle.

in section 4.b it's law to sound your horn,

This says bicycles basically have the right away no matter what. hahaha! If I was in the middle of a road and a motorist honked at me I would appreciate it; better than getting hit! Really wouldn't apply to me as I ride so far over it's dangerous for me as I am always dealing with debris and flats. :(

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
4. Must bicyclists ride on the far right side of the road?
Yes. Cyclists in Nevada should travel as far right on the road as possible unless:
  • it would not be safe;
  • the cyclist is turning left; or
  • the cyclist is traveling at a legal speed limit that is also equal to the speed of nearby traffic
The safest bet is for cyclists to ride on the shoulder or designated bike lane rather than a regular travel lane. Also, no more than two cyclists should ride next to each other at a time.4
5. Are bikers allowed to ride on the sidewalk?
Although Nevada state law does not prohibit biking on sidewalks, many local ordinances do:
For instance, biking on sidewalks is illegal in Las Vegas on Fremont Street between Main Street and Seventh Street.5 And Las Vegas police may cite people for sidewalk-riding on the Strip (though there seems to be no Clark County ordinance prohibiting it).6
Always check local laws before taking a bike on the sidewalk. And cyclists should dismount before going over a pedestrian crosswalk.
6. Must cyclists ride in the same direction as vehicles?
Yes. Cyclists are prohibited from riding against traffic-flow in Nevada. It is far safer to ride with traffic than against the flow.7
sharrow

“Sharrow” marking

7. What about shared lanes?
Both bikes and vehicles are allowed to ride on a shared lane, often called a “sharrow.” Sharrows are indicated by a bicycle symbol beneath two chevron markings.
8. Are there special rules for cycling at night?
Yes. Bikers who ride at night must have their bike equipped with all of the following:
  • a lamp on the front which emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front; and
  • a red reflector on the rear which must be visible from 50 feet to 300 feet to the rear when directly in front of a vehicle’s lower beams; and
  • reflective material visible from both sides of the bicycle for 600 feet when directly in front of a vehicle’s lower beams OR a lighted lamp visible from both sides from a distance of at least 500 feet
Note that a red rear reflector is mandatory even if the bike also has a taillight. Also note that the above requirements apply to biking in daylight with poor visibility.8
9. When must bikes allow vehicles to pass?
Bikers are required to move off the roadway (if safe to do so) when there are at least five (5) vehicles behind them.9
10. Are hand signals required?
Yes. Bikers are required to use hand signals before turning unless either:
  • the bike is in a designated turn lane; or
  • it would be unsafe to take a hand off the handlebar10
Bicycle action in Nevada Required hand signal
Left turnHand and arm extended horizontally
Right turnHand and arm extended upward
Stop or decrease speedHand and arm extended downward
Reentering a traffic lane from a parked positionHand and arm extended horizontally.11
sign that says bikes must exit

Many highways prohibit biking.

11. Are there special rules for highways and restricted areas?
Some Nevada highways are open to bikers, and others are not. Highways that are off-limit to cyclists will have signs warning bikers to exit.
In rural Nevada, biking is typically allowed on highways since there are no other available roadways.
Nevada highwayRestricted areas where cycling is prohibited
Interstate 580/US 395 – Reno/Carson City Area
  • Between Exit 78 (Red Rock Rd) and Exit 44 (Eastlake Blvd).
Interstate 80
  • In Reno/Sparks Area between Exit 2 (West Verdi) and Exit 21 (Vista Blvd)
  • Between Exit 43 (North Carson St) and Exit 38 (Fairview Dr)
Interstate 15 – Las Vegas Area
  • Between Exit 12 (Jean) and Exit 50 (Lamb Blvd).
  • In Wadsworth/Fernley Area between Exit 43 (Wadsworth/Pyramid Lake) and Exit 48 (US ALT 95)
  • At Carlin Tunnels between Exit 282 (East Carlin) and East Tunnel Portals
Interstate 95 – Las Vegas Area
  • Between Exit 56A (Wagonwheel Dr & Nevada St Dr) and Exit 95(Kyle Canyon Rd)
Interstate 215/515 – Las Vegas Areas
  • Entire route is prohibited
12. How common are biking accidents?
Few types of traffic accidents have the potential for traumatic injury and loss of life as a collision between a bicyclist and a motor vehicle. And unfortunately for cyclists, the cyclist usually suffers the most serious injuries in a collision between a bike and a car.
Though bicycles account for a small portion of total traffic in the United States, collisions between cars and bikes are all too common. Many drivers are distracted or unaware of the presence of cyclists on roadways, creating hazardous riding conditions for cyclists.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 48,000 cyclists in the United States were injured in collisions with motor vehicles in 2011. Tragically, 677 cyclists were killed in accidents involving motor vehicles during the same period. In Nevada alone, there were 246 traffic fatalities in 2011. Of those 246 deaths, four were cyclists.
Cars are required to share the road with bicycles. But the reality for cyclists is that many drivers are either unaware of — or hostile to — the presence of bicycles.12
13. Are there special rules for mopeds in Nevada?
Yes. There are four special regulations for mopeds in Nevada:
  1. Moped drivers must register their moped with the Nevada DMV as they would a car (though they do not need liability insurance);
  2. Moped drivers must have a driver’s license before taking the moped on the road. It can be a regular class C license, not a special motorcycle license;
  3. Moped drivers must wear a helmet; and
  4. Moped drivers can be arrested for DUI (see the next section for more information).13
Otherwise, drivers must operate mopeds as they would bikes (such as driving on the extreme right). Learn more at the Nevada DMV Moped information page. Also see our article on Nevada motorized bicycle laws.
14. Is cycling under the influence a crime in Nevada?
Technically, biking drunk or high is not a DUI offense. Driving an automobile, a motorcycle, or even a moped while impaired violates Nevada DUI laws, but biking while impaired is an entirely separate crime.
People who bike while intoxicated on alcohol or drugs face charges for the Nevada crime of reckless endangerment (NRS 202.595). This is typically prosecuted as a gross misdemeanor in Nevada, carrying a penalty of:
  • up to $2,000 in fines, and/or
  • up to 364 days in jail
But if the CUI results in a victim sustaining substantial bodily harm in Nevada (NRS 0.060), reckless endangerment becomes a category C felony in Nevada. The sentence is:
  • one to five (1 – 5) years in Nevada State Prison, and
  • possibly a fine of up to $10,000 (at the judge’s discretion)
Because CUI is not treated as a DUI, cyclists convicted of cycling while impaired will not have their driver’s licenses suspended. Learn more about Nevada cycling under the influence laws.14
Receptionists waiting for your call.

Call our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys for a free consultation. Our law firm is based in Las Vegas, NV but represents clients throughout the state.

Injured in a Nevada bike accident? Our Las Vegas biking injury attorneys want to help you recover the maximum settlement.
Arrested for cycling under the influence in Nevada? Contact our Las Vegas criminal defense attorneys for a free consultation on how we may be able to get your charge reduced or dismissed.
Also see our article on Nevada motorcycle safety laws.
In California? See our article on California bicycle laws (Vehicle Code 21200).
Legal References
  1. Nevada Revised Statute 484A.025  “Bicycle” defined.  “Bicycle” means a device propelled by human power upon which a person may ride, having two tandem wheels either of which is over 14 inches in diameter, or every such device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels except a moped.NRS 484A.320  “Vehicle” defined.  “Vehicle” means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except:1.  Devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails; and2.  Electric personal assistive mobility devices as defined in NRS 482.029.
  2. NRS 484B.763  Application of traffic laws to person riding bicycle or electric bicycle.  Every person riding a bicycle or an electric bicycle upon a roadway has all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle except as otherwise provided in NRS 484B.767 to 484B.783, inclusive, and except as to those provisions of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS which by their nature can have no application.
  3. NRS 484B.780.
  4. NRS 484B.777.
  5. Las Vegas Municipal Code 11.40.180 – Sidewalk riding.
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any person to ride a bicycle upon the sidewalks on Fremont Street between Main Street and Seventh Street. This area shall be posted with signs indicating that the riding of bicycles on the sidewalk is prohibited.
  6. Art Marroquin, “Don’t ride your bike on the sidewalk, even on Las Vegas Strip“, Las Vegas Review-Journal (March 19, 2018)(“‘Some of the police officers I’ve come across say it’s illegal, but some of the bicycle cops told me that it’s completely legal,’ said Dan, who gets around on a bicycle after his truck was totaled by a red-light runner.”).
  7. NRS 484B.200.
  8. NRS 484B.783.
  9. NRS 484B.630.
  10. NRS 484B.768.
  11. NRS 484B.769.
  12. Traffic Safety Facts, 2011 Data, Bicyclists and Other Cyclists, NHTSA.
  13. NRS 482.069; NRS 482.206; Nevada Senate Bill 408 (2019).
  14. NRS 202.595

Get Quick Legal Help...
We usually respond in 5 minutes.
Name *
Phone *
Email *
City where case is located *
Tell us what happened *

Featured on
NBC
Fox News Channel
ABC
CBS
CNN
Dr. Phil
Court TV
Avvo - Top Attorney
Avvo - Clients Choice
National Trial Lawyers: Top 100
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys: 10 best 2015
National Academy of Jurisprudence
NAFDD: DUI Attorney 2015
Super Lawyers
Best of Las Vegas
Lead Counsel Rated
Three Best Rated
Best DUI Lawyers Las Vegas

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
This says bicycles basically have the right away no matter what. hahaha! If I was in the middle of a road and a motorist honked at me I would appreciate it; better than getting hit! Really wouldn't apply to me as I ride so far over it's dangerous for me as I am always dealing with debris and flats. :(
LOL.... that said "BIKE LANE OR PATH"

here's the real deal, car drivers and bike riders neither know the law... or most any way,...both just need to show respect to each other....
like you said, bikes have a legal right to use the road, and should just stay to the right,, thats the law...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
the road has a lot of double yellow blind corners so passing is not an option so you end up slowing to 1 or 2 miles per hour, you lay on the horn, and they stay in the middle of the road all the way up they hill,,

I drive a lot in the Napa / St. Helena area on a small, windy, hilly 2-lane highway. It is so dangerous for cyclist to be out there...yet there they are. It pisses me off. It's a 55 mph speed limit with lots of hills and blind corners, with no shoulder. The pavement ends about an inch past the fog line.

You are driving 55, come around a corner and they are 3 wide in the lane going uphill. There is no way for them to get out of they lane, and no way to pass them without putting your own life at risk (not to mention a big ticket for crossing a double yellow). So you follow them, going 1 mph for 10 minutes until you can pass them.

Them you drive a few miles, rinse and repeat, and do it all over again.

It pisses me off because they hold you up, and what it would do to your life if you hit and killed a cyclist. Cyclist shouldn't be on that type of highway.

Sent From Tapatalk

floatn turd

Reaction score
I don't know how to fix the problem.
But
The laws are old, outdated and no longer suited for today's high speed and congested roadway travel.

I don't think bikes should be able to share a road that is not expressly marked with a bike lane.
Times have changed

That's just my opinion on the matter.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
LOL.... that said "BIKE LANE OR PATH"

here's the real deal, car drivers and bike riders neither know the law... or most any way,...both just need to show respect to each other....
like you said, bikes have a legal right to use the road, and should just stay to the right,, thats the law...

They can use the whole lane, but it is stated they should stay to the right and I agree.

When can a bicyclist take a whole lane?
Guidance for placement. Option: 01 The Bicycles May Use Full Lane (R4-11) sign may be used on roadways where no bicycle lanes or adjacent shoulders usable by bicyclists are present and where travel lanes are too narrow for bicyclists and motor vehicles to operate side by side.

Bicyclists are required to stay on the right side of the road, unless turning, avoiding an object, or safety requires they ride in the center or left part of the lane. The fact that bicyclists may travel slower than the posted speed limit does not limit their right to use the roadway.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Dude was torched from a bender and may have passed out...

I watched all the body cam footage and I couldn't believe they let this guy go. Just watching him take the sobriety test, I knew he was on something. Guy almost fell over numerous times trying to walk the line. Those cops should be suspended for letting this clown back out on the road.

He was crying, but I know it wasn't because he killed five people, it was because he knows he is screwed.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I drive a lot in the Napa / St. Helena area on a small, windy, hilly 2-lane highway. It is so dangerous for cyclist to be out there...yet there they are. It pisses me off. It's a 55 mph speed limit with lots of hills and blind corners, with no shoulder. The pavement ends about an inch past the fog line.

You are driving 55, come around a corner and they are 3 wide in the lane going uphill. There is no way for them to get out of they lane, and no way to pass them without putting your own life at risk (not to mention a big ticket for crossing a double yellow). So you follow them, going 1 mph for 10 minutes until you can pass them.

Them you drive a few miles, rinse and repeat, and do it all over again.

It pisses me off because they hold you up, and what it would do to your life if you hit and killed a cyclist. Cyclist shouldn't be on that type of highway.

Sent From Tapatalk

And that is what entitled Napa cyclist do; ride three wide and cause people to be upset with ALL cyclist. That is the problem! Cyclist like me that do whatever we can to be over super far right, ride single file and obey the law still get assholes flying by me a foot away because the think all cyclist are the same and they want to prove something.

I see it all the time myself and just don't get why they feel people in cars are paying attention. I sure as heck don't want to get hit.

I do have a question and not harping on you or anything, but why would you drive 55 in an area that you know is full of cyclist and blind corners? Plus it seems odd the speed limit would be so high in an area like that. My wife and I have spent tons of time in Napa and surrounding areas and most of the speed limits on the twisty roads are 35 to 45 but people are definitely going faster than that.

Why anyone would feel safe riding around Napa with all the idiots that have been going from winery to winery to winery is beyond me? Not only are they probably buzzed, they are just not paying attention as they probably have friends in the car, lost and looking for the next stop and just plain dumb.

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score
Every idiot rides a bike on hwy or county road deserves wut they get

buck35

Reaction score
I understand you get it, but, being dead right is still being dead or mangled.

rrrr

Reaction score
Some riders are dicks but very few.

That hasn't been my experience. Around Plano they intentionally ride on the white lines between the right and left lanes. If cars don't hug the left divider they get flipped off, and at red lights they stop spread out across two lanes.

It's a very obvious "Fuck you, we're cyclists" attitude.

toto

Reaction score
That hasn't been my experience. Around Plano they intentionally ride on the white lines between the right and left lanes. If cars don't hug the left divider they get flipped off, and at red lights they stop spread out across two lanes.

It's a very obvious "Fuck you, we're cyclists" attitude.
I would have to agree with you - We just moved to McKinney area and I thought Cyclists were bad in Cali. Out here in Texas these guy's are crazy and don't give a fuck. Back country roads and their guys take up the whole road.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you - We just moved to McKinney area and I thought Cyclists were bad in Cali. Out here in Texas these guy's are crazy and don't give a fuck. Back country roads and their guys take up the whole road.

My best friend lives in McKinney. Rides bikes every day and MTB as well. He is a really conservative church going dude with three cute little girls. He does whatever he can to stay right. Just give him the same courtesy. Merry Christmas.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I watched all the body cam footage and I couldn't believe they let this guy go. Just watching him take the sobriety test, I knew he was on something. Guy almost fell over numerous times trying to walk the line. Those cops should be suspended for letting this clown back out on the road.

He was crying, but I know it wasn't because he killed five people, it was because he knows he is screwed.

Without a Doubt?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Without a Doubt?

I apologize, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

I am without a doubt the dude was on something when I saw him trying to walk the line in the videos. However, it's not up to me as I am not in the position to make those decisions.

I am a huge supporter of the police, huge! But this guy just killed five people, couldn't walk a straight line during his DUI test yet he was let go. I just don't feel that should have been done. How would these cops feel if this guy ended up killing someone else after he was let go? Maybe suspension isn't the right word or avenue, but there should be an investigation as to why they felt he should be freed.

As for him crying because he is screwed; yeah I am without a doubt that's why he was crying. This guy has been a criminal since the 90s and a drug addict probably before that. He is selfish and doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself. So yes, he was crying because he will hopefully be going away for a long time.

And to go the other way, if there was any DOUBT in these officer's minds that this guy might not be 100% sober, they shouldn't have let them go. That puts not only the police officers in jeopardy, it puts others in jeopardy.

There is no defense for this clown.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I apologize, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

I am without a doubt the dude was on something when I saw him trying to walk the line in the videos. However, it's not up to me as I am not in the position to make those decisions.

I am a huge supporter of the police, huge! But this guy just killed five people, couldn't walk a straight line during his DUI test yet he was let go. I just don't feel that should have been done. How would these cops feel if this guy ended up killing someone else after he was let go? Maybe suspension isn't the right word or avenue, but there should be an investigation as to why they felt he should be freed.

As for him crying because he is screwed; yeah I am without a doubt that's why he was crying. This guy has been a criminal since the 90s and a drug addict probably before that. He is selfish and doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself. So yes, he was crying because he will hopefully be going away for a long time.

And to go the other way, if there was any DOUBT in these officer's minds that this guy might not be 100% sober, they shouldn't have let them go. That puts not only the police officers in jeopardy, it puts others in jeopardy.

There is no defense for this clown.

I was questioning your Statement you were sure his crying was NOT that he Killed Five People, but that he was in trouble?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I was questioning your Statement you were sure his crying was NOT that he Killed Five People, but that he was in trouble?

Well, he is driving on excessive amounts of meth; you do that, you don't give a shit about other people's well being. Pretty blatant if you ask me.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If he was high on excessive amounts of meth. I don't think he would of fallen asleep. Looks like a lifelong tweaker that would always have high amounts in his system. Could of been 2 days since he slammed dope. Cops would have to wait for a blood test result to see it in his system. They probably checked him for alcohol and released him pending toxicology report. Either way its a sad deal. I hate meth. Lost a few good friends to that shit over the years.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
If he was high on excessive amounts of meth. I don't think he would of fallen asleep. Looks like a lifelong tweaker that would always have high amounts in his system. Could of been 2 days since he slammed dope. Cops would have to wait for a blood test result to see it in his system. They probably checked him for alcohol and released him pending toxicology report. Either way its a sad deal. I hate meth. Lost a few good friends to that shit over the years.

He stated he just did meth the day before and was coming down. The reports say he blacked out/passed out not fell asleep as they are completely different. My friend who was on the ride told me the cops mentioned that guy had so much in his system they don't even know how he was functioning. This guy is a drain on society.

I believe you are correct on the checking for alcohol and waiting on the toxicology report. However, it is in the cop's right to retain someone if they believe they are on something even if at the time no test show a positive result.

So this guy had 9 times the legal amount (didn't know there was a legal amount) of meth in his system. I definitely would have some classes for cops that can't tell when someone has 9 times the legal amount of meth in their body. Like I said, I saw right away there was something going with this guy when they gave him the sobriety test. How could they not know? Plus, he just killed five people. Sorry, but they should have hauled this guy right away.

Edit, in the local papers today (Boulder City) cop states they didn't do a good job with the sobriety test and shouldn't have let the guy go. They stated they just thought he was upset. Well if they questioned his sobriety whatsoever, he shouldn't have been let go. My good friend who is a cop in East LA told me the same thing. He watched the videos and said no way would he have let that guy go.

Sorry, it's just super upsetting. These were people I knew. Not saying they were doing the right thing riding in the lane, but there is a good chance or better than good chance if this guy wasn't high, they would all still be alive.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
What I do find odd about the replies about this is when someone is driving a boat at 125 crashes into someone else or just crashes on their own and dies in Havasu everyone on here feels bad. You rarely see the "why were they going that fast?" or "anyone who drives that fast in a boat is an idiot". I don't hear the outcries of "why anyone would ever be stupid enough to take a boat on Havasu (or any busy lake)". It's the same thing.

If your family was on that road cruising minding their own business and a meth addict plowed into them wouldn't you blame the meth addict and not the people that got hit?

I'm done. I have said what I need to say. Again, I don't really agree with where they were riding but I do know if this guy was sober there is a good chance everyone would still be with their families at Christmas.

Last edited:

bripar77

Reaction score
Can you say Death Penalty. The problem with our society these days is they will go easy on him, because some attorney will defend the guy stating he had
a bad childhood or some other Crap. Hardly ever are guys like this made examples of. He made his choice to drive DUI and so he should pay the consequences.
Bikes have the right to ride on roads. The reason they ride in lanes is because they have no room to safely ride on the shoulder and they have been buzzed
some many times in the past that taking up a lane is sometimes safer. If you don't ride road bikes then you can't relate to what is like to have a car
drive by within 2 feet of you. I am a nice guy but after so many of these I have an attitude towards drivers now. If drivers slowed down and passed cyclist when it is safe
maybe we wouldn't have so much of these kind of accidents and or attitudes against Cyclist.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Can you say Death Penalty. The problem with our society these days is they will go easy on him, because some attorney will defend the guy stating he had
a bad childhood or some other Crap. Hardly ever are guys like this made examples of. He made his choice to drive DUI and so he should pay the consequences.

We need to get rid of liberal judges that will say this f#$ktard who killed five humans can be rehabilitated and let back in to society with minimal prosecution. Throw out the bill of indictment and hang him from the most viewed section of an interstate 15 overpass with a big sign that says "DUI Driver". Let everyone know, if you drive intoxicated you will face severe consequences. If you start hanging people for driving drunk or under the influences of drugs all over the state, I guarantee it will become a thing of the past.
Sure; you'll hear things like, "That is barbaric", or "Where do we live, the old west 1879?". I don't care. If this was your son, daughter, husband, wife or just a loved one who was killed, I am sure you would agree with me.

jones performance

Reaction score
Sorry, but they should have hauled this guy right away.

Edit, in the local papers today (Boulder City) cop states they didn't do a good job with the sobriety test and shouldn't have let the guy go. They stated they just thought he was upset. Well if they questioned his sobriety whatsoever, he shouldn't have been let go. My good friend who is a cop in East LA told me the same thing. He watched the videos and said no way would he have let that guy go.

i am thinking with the covid bs, things are not happening as we think they should.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I could not find one reflector or light on any of the bikes in that vid and swear I hear tiny violins in the background.
I ride 10 miles a day with my Doggo. He loves it and lives for it.
If I miss a day he whines. He loves me and must know I need my exercise as much as him. At the same time I would never take him for a ride with traffic that is more than 35 MPH. I care for his life and mine. Things happen very fast at those speeds. I can't imagine trucks speeding by at 70+.

mothershipper

Reaction score
One of my good friends is the one who covered the deceased. He's responded to literally hundreds of fatalities on the stretch of highway from Boulder City to the California border. He told me last weekend that this was one of the worst ones. I really fear for anyone that rides a bike along that stretch of highway. Also the folks who ride any section of road by Lake Mead also really are rolling the dice. They've every right to, but there are so many blind corners and very little shoulder to ride on. It sure makes me crap my pants when i go around a corner and there's a bicyclist in my lane hoping i can go around them without anyone coming my way in the other lane. You would never see me on a bike on any of these roads if i still rode.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
A judge with some sense

Judge keeps Arizona trucker jailed in bicyclists' death case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A judge with some sense

Judge keeps Arizona trucker jailed in bicyclists' death case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a stand up fellow... 🤔

This is the way no cash bond should be...
I understand "innocent until proven guilty", but he admitted to being on drugs, tox screen came back proving it...walks like a duck...

Hang him, call it good, save the taxpayers...