WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

H1, Yes or No???

probablecause

Reaction score
Not H1N1 but the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. Wife of 20+ years always wanted one and I am now in a fiscal position to buy one. Would love to see her smile and DD in it but don't want buyer's remorse. Not like you can test drive one for one month. Any input on them. I have had the 6.5 TD and know their pros and cons but don't know shit about the chassis other than the eBay sellers' bravado of them.

DWC

Reaction score
Wish i had some experience. Always loved them. Checked them out at a dealer in HB back in the day. Badass ride.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have worked on a couple of them. They are stout as hell, but can develop leaks around the axle/stub shafts. Other than that, 3/4 ton Chevy pickup stuff. They are not good freeway runners, and about the worst mileage you can get from a 6.5...Look up Banks setup for them, pretty cool.

Reactions: DWC

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I’ve ridden in a couple former military ones and they were horrible .

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Maintenance is frequent.

Here’s the maintenance guide...from what I understand, lots of other things “just happen” that aren’t listed as maintenance items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I have worked on a couple of them. They are stout as hell, but can develop leaks around the axle/stub shafts. Other than that, 3/4 ton Chevy pickup stuff. They are not good freeway runners, and about the worst mileage you can get from a 6.5...Look up Banks setup for them, pretty cool.

There is nothing GM 3/4 ton about a real HMMWV or h1 minus the 6.5 diesel and 3l80 or 4l80e trans.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Had a civilian one with a 6.2. It was a good launch ramp vehicle and that is about all. They are awful to drive, the drive train noise in the center tunnel is loud. We did dynamat, custom plush carpet etc. and still could not talk to your passengers above 35 or 40 M.P.H. Top speed realistically is 50 to 55 M.P.H. drove from Parker to Blythe and Havasu several times and was constantly pulling over to let traffic pass. Fun to cruise in the desert and the central tire inflation is awesome, ( would not own one without it ) air down and it would drive through soft sand without any issues. Most Jeep trails around Parker are too narrow for a H1, and get used to making lots of three point turns.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There is nothing GM 3/4 ton about a real HMMWV or h1 minus the 6.5 diesel and 3l80 or 4l80e trans.
Power plant was what I was referring to. Most civilian used models will only have issues with motor and trans. Aside from the radiator placement, and a few bits, they're pretty normal. The absolute best 6.5 you can get is the one for the HMMWV. GM did all sorts of stuff to the block, cooling passages and even better rods on the later ones. I had heard it was due to cooling or reliability issues in Iraq, but don't know for sure.

2Driver

Reaction score
We had a H1 for a while. It was back when they were rare to see on the road. My wife worked at Honeywell and would drive it to work. She was an instant celebrity, even offered a covered parking spot. Kids at the bus stop would wave, that part was unexpected and pretty fun.

So, for the 4x4 driving part which is why I got it. It’s exceptional off road as you would image. Width was never a real issue. I can’t say it goes too many places a decent outfitted Rubicon won’t go. If you go beyond the fording depth of 20-24” and the ac fan comes on it will grenade hitting the water. As you know the gearboxes are outbound on the hubs. If you get off camber and one of those big 37's start spinning in the air, when it comes down it can break the short axle. I warned the guy I sold it to and he broke the axle the first week. It doesn’t take much, just be careful.

On road it sucks. Highway driving is horrible, it shakes, it’s loud, it’s manners are pretty poor, it’s a military machine despite the fact the interior was civilize. AC's have a reputation of being inadequate and unreliable. We had the 4 door suv ( small box in back) model and it cooled it but not great. We bagged taking it on any long trips due to its road worthiness and sources for general repair and parts.

So here is the deal. Like I said it’s a military machine. Like a jet or a tank they take maintenance frequently and it’s somewhat costly. The outbound hubs need a regular maintenance , it eats brakes and they are costly. If you use run flats, you just don’t pull into discount tire for a tire. The H1 is heavy-duty but it’s not durable, sums up how I felt and mine was under full warranty. I found that it’s achilles heel is that it needs a baby sitter and parts aren’t at NAPA or a jeep dealer. LOL These things were designed to be maintained by a government with a tax base.

That. said we had a blast and I sold it for $5k more than I bought it for. The nice ones out there are bucks now. I’d be afraid to pay a ton and take it wheeeling like we did ours. We’ve entertained another one but they are just too much of a hassle and reliability is an issue. But if you have access to a good shop and parts that’s half the battle.

1997-11-4.jpg

Last edited:

probablecause

Reaction score
We had a H1 for a while. It was back when they were rare to see on the road. My wife worked at Honeywell and would drive it to work. She was an instant celebrity, even offered a covered parking spot. Kids at the bus stop would wave, that part was unexpected and pretty fun.

So, for the 4x4 driving part which is why I got it. It’s exceptional off road as you would image. Width was never a real issue. I can’t say it goes too many places a decent outfitted Rubicon won’t go. If you go beyond the fording depth of 20-24” and the ac fan comes on it will grenade hitting the water. As you know the gearboxes are outbound on the hubs. If you get off camber and one of those big 37's start spinning in the air, when it comes down it can break the short axle. I warned the guy I sold it to and he broke the axle the first week. It doesn’t take much, just be careful.

On road it sucks. Highway driving is horrible, it shakes, it’s loud, it’s manners are pretty poor, it’s a military machine despite the fact the interior was civilize. AC's have a reputation of being inadequate and unreliable. We had the 4 door suv ( small box in back) model and it cooled it but not great. We bagged taking it on any long trips due to its road worthiness and sources for general repair and parts.

So here is the deal. Like I said it’s a military machine. Like a jet or a tank they take maintenance frequently and it’s somewhat costly. The outbound hubs need a regular maintenance , it eats brakes and they are costly. If you use run flats, you just don’t pull into discount tire for a tire. The H1 is heavy-duty but it’s not durable, sums up how I felt and mine was under full warranty. I found that it’s achilles heel is that it needs a baby sitter and parts aren’t at NAPA or a jeep dealer. LOL These things were designed to be maintained by a government with a tax base.

That. said we had a blast and I sold it for $5k more than I bought it for. The nice ones out there are bucks now. I’d be afraid to pay a ton and take it wheeeling like we did ours. We’ve entertained another one but they are just too much of a hassle and reliability is an issue. But if you have access to a good shop and parts that’s half the battle.
Thank you.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Power plant was what I was referring to. Most civilian used models will only have issues with motor and trans. Aside from the radiator placement, and a few bits, they're pretty normal. The absolute best 6.5 you can get is the one for the HMMWV. GM did all sorts of stuff to the block, cooling passages and even better rods on the later ones. I had heard it was due to cooling or reliability issues in Iraq, but don't know for sure.

That is the late model General Products engine which is the AM general production line for 6.5s of the tooling they bought from GM. GM has nothing to do with it at all anymore.

P400 is also a great choice for an engine swap

Www.govplanet.com to purchase mil surplus Hmmwvs

I work for GovPlanet as the az manager

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So, for the 4x4 driving part which is why I got it. It’s exceptional off road as you would image. Width was never a real issue. I can’t say it goes too many places a decent outfitted Rubicon won’t go.

Believe it or not...a Raptor is wider overall (96.8 inches vs 86.5) and wider in track width (73.9 inches vs 71.6) compared to an H1.

I didn't believe this at first, because my memories of the H1 is that its an extremely wide vehicle.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
HMMWV is probably wider inside then the raptor. Remember those are fenders they are measuring

Also I doubt the raptor has better incline or break over specs and ground clearance.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@probablecause , didn't think to ask, but what will be the wife's intended purpose for H1? I know a couple people that use ex-military ones for desert fun, and a couple that take them for setting up base camp for hunting and shooting. As pointed out above, really more suited for dirt than highway. I'd really hate to see someone spend the money, and be disappointed. It will never ride like a Cadillac on the road, but will surely command more respect in traffic.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
They suck at just about everything in a civilian environment...

traquer

Reaction score
Friend had one, or her parents did. It was their Mammoth vehicle they kept up there at the pad. Perfect for that I think. Especially if you need to mount a snow plow on it.

SoCalHallett

Reaction score
Always wanted one myself and almost pulled the trigger a few times over the years! Being in SoCal we are fortunate to have many local companies to source parts and for labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
What do you expect for a 1983 engineered vehicle?
Not a lot...just pointing out the obvious to the OP. I’ve driven one, ridden in several, and watched a few break axles (and consequently lose brakes) on the same trails I’d run in my stock ‘86 Toyota pickup. That was on the trail. On the road, they’re too wide, too slow, and noisy...kinda like a Jeep CJ but wider With less interior space and orders of magnitude worse in every respect.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
As a daily driver, no. But a military version with some new( softer) springs, good seats and a full cage would be a blast off-road. Been in them many many times off road. Not perfect but capable.

probablecause

Reaction score
@probablecause , didn't think to ask, but what will be the wife's intended purpose for H1? I know a couple people that use ex-military ones for desert fun, and a couple that take them for setting up base camp for hunting and shooting. As pointed out above, really more suited for dirt than highway. I'd really hate to see someone spend the money, and be disappointed. It will never ride like a Cadillac on the road, but will surely command more respect in traffic.
Maybe a market run or just to take on a 200 mile trip on the road in Idaho from town to town

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Maybe a market run or just to take on a 200 mile trip on the road in Idaho from town to town
May beat you up on 200 miles of highway, but that is also different for different folks. Honestly, I'd love to have one for cruising the hills up here, and for winter fun at the river. There were a couple "basket cases" for sale last year in Phoenix CL. Price was a bit of a deal killer for me, all needed motors. Not being familiar enough with the chassis design, I didn't know what other motor would fit. For my purpose, an LS or even a BBC would be fine....Not zombie apocalypse approved, but would sound good 😂

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Couldn’t imagine it as a DD, but it’s a bucket list car for me. Check out hummer network forums

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So damn you and thank you for that link. I will now lose tons of time and money but I'll have some cool random shit at my desert place.
Lots of cool equipment, loaders, gensets...neat stuff!

5ton trucks make really good offroad recovery rigs...or a bitchin expedition motorhome platform. 9ton planetary axles are super fun to play with. My budget is the old 5ton axles, but haven't broken any yet!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I’ve ridden in an H1 Alpha with LBZ on a test drive. They’re extremely cool but the Alphas are over $150K now since they stopped making them in 2006. I remember seeing one launching a boat next to us at Katherines landing in about 2004. Coolest truck at the ramp.

You can always swap a Cummins or Duramax into a surplus hummer. Predator inc is who I would have do it.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I have wanted to get one as a launch vehicle to leave at our home in havasu. I was looking at the military auction vehicles a few years ago. Seemed like a crap shoot if it would even run.

SoCalHallett

Reaction score
I love your baby too....where do you park said baby?... [emoji6]

That’s got to be a rare combo, don’t see many of those.

It’s parked in the garage every night at my house. Picture was taken on a recent Costco trip in Corona.

And ya it’s a very very rare combo in 1996, why I like it so much [emoji1305]

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Remember the surplus ones are reasonable, but are 24 Volt.