WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett… (Nordic builds vs the old Barron) your thoughts

SS-C

Reaction score
Just curious, your opinion on whether or not Nordic is following the Barron legacy worthy of the legendary Hallett name.

If still alive, would Nick Barron approve?

hallett21

Reaction score
I would say they are doing better. Nordic uses newer materials and incorporates CNC cutting for their bulk heads.

Also I think Nordic is more open to building you a truly custom boat and not just “what they build”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveH

Reaction score
i have to agree and applaud Nordic for the continuous use of technology and methodology to build a better product.

when was the last time you saw a Nordic delaminate?

as for styling...sure they have made some changes, as did Hallett in their latter years.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, Hallett was kinda "regressing" in their later years.. I know it is hard to top the original 210 / 240 / 270 / 300 / 340 / 400.. But they went with kind of a euro trash look their for awhile and completely missed the mark. I believe that's why the OG hulls are usually worth more than the later style ones.

The rigging between an OG Hallett and a New one isn't even comparable.. Thane & John have that down to a science. 1st class rigging (not break the bank rigging like DCB, but 1st class) and they are able to do it on a timeline to keep production at a good rate.

The 275 Hallett is the first new "Hallett" in years that I actually like. I am hoping they continue the legend, and take a look at the boats that built that brand, and try to modernize them without cannibalizing them.

The only thing I don't care for on the "Hallett" brand is they are putting "Nordic" interiors in them.. so it kinda blends the two. For the old man Classy Hallett's I prefer something a little less "modern"

RD

Hammer

Reaction score
I agree with Dave. The brand was descending and “out of loop” IMO. I’d like to see more interiors that are more Hallett than Nordic. Id also like to see a gel design similar to the Halletts of the 2000’s.

Thane will build you Anything you want. I’m not sure if the most recent 255 and 275’s were customer choice gel scheme or not.

I do know that the bottoms of the last few halletts were not great. Thane improved them dramatically and the last Hallett out of Irwindale had to be reworked to perform better. Completely redesigned the bottom.

I think Nick would approve. [emoji106]

I just want to know where the damn 300 mold is!!!! [emoji2959]

Last edited:

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, Hallett was kinda "regressing" in their later years.. I know it is hard to top the original 210 / 240 / 270 / 300 / 340 / 400.. But they went with kind of a euro trash look their for awhile and completely missed the mark. I believe that's why the OG hulls are usually worth more than the later style ones.

The rigging between an OG Hallett and a New one isn't even comparable.. Thane & John have that down to a science. 1st class rigging (not break the bank rigging like DCB, but 1st class) and they are able to do it on a timeline to keep production at a good rate.

The 275 Hallett is the first new "Hallett" in years that I actually like. I am hoping they continue the legend, and take a look at the boats that built that brand, and try to modernize them without cannibalizing them.

The only thing I don't care for on the "Hallett" brand is they are putting "Nordic" interiors in them.. so it kinda blends the two. For the old man Classy Hallett's I prefer something a little less "modern"

RD

You hit the nail on the head with everything you said except the 275. While it’s a beautiful boat it does not belong in the Hallett line up. Truthfully they could have just put a Hallett decal on a 28 heat and added fake teak snap. because we all know that’s what it is.

I will also add that the OG Hallett was built very very well for its time. Very few had stress cracks and the the rigging was very tidy.... things/ methods have just changed in the boating industry.

All that being said if a early 2000s Nordic goes for sale and a mid 90s Hallett at the same time I’d have no problem paying the same or a little more for the Hallett.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
In many ways it's not a fair comparison. Comparing 20+ year old Halletts with brand new custom boats. I believe Nordic is doing a great job keeping the legend alive while incorporating new techniques and technology. I also agree with RD. I would prefer less "Nordic like" interior design. If a buyer wants a Nordic interior, they could always buy a Nordic.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

RD

Well, they blended the 275.... Its mostly a Nordic boat. So blending the interior is second nature after that.

Whats is the "new" techniques and technology Nordic is implementing? Is composite only the "new" techniques and technology ?

What would be interesting is the ride quality vs the old/new. What rides better, lighter vs heavier layups.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head with everything you said except the 275. While it’s a beautiful boat it does not belong in the Hallett line up. Truthfully they could have just put a Hallett decal on a 28 heat and added fake teak snap. because we all know that’s what it is.

I will also add that the OG Hallett was built very very well for its time. Very few had stress cracks and the the rigging was very tidy.... things/ methods have just changed in the boating industry.

All that being said if a early 2000s Nordic goes for sale and a mid 90s Hallett at the same time I’d have no problem paying the same or a little more for the Hallett.

The 275 was a 270 deck that was grafted onto a 28 Heat bottom.. The deck is very Hallett (the windshields are even mid 2000's hallett'ish / but similar to Nordics).

I like the 275.. Never been in one so can't speak to how it runs.. I have been in 28 Heats, they are considerably faster than 270's, but I don't believe ride as smooth.

RD

oldschool

Reaction score
My dad still has one of the very first flatbottoms that Nick built.
I was at Nordic a couple weeks ago and saw 2 275’s they were finishing up and they were absolutely amazing. The new styling is on point and the gel work was awesome. They were nicer than anything I’ve seen from the Barron Hallett days. But, like someone else said, the technology, materials and techniques have changed as well. I like the Nordic touch of the billet ski tow as well.

farmo83

Reaction score
I agree you can't really compare apples to apples on a boat built long ago.

However I would think Nick would be very happy. The brand is still held in high regard people are still lining up for them. They are still a high quality custom boat that is now up with the times.

As for the interior I'm surprised, I figured Nordic would build whatever someone was willing to pay for.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The 275 was a 270 deck that was grafted onto a 28 Heat bottom.. The deck is very Hallett (the windshields are even mid 2000's hallett'ish / but similar to Nordics).

I like the 275.. Never been in one so can't speak to how it runs.. I have been in 28 Heats, they are considerably faster than 270's, but I don't believe ride as smooth.

RD
They used the 25 walk through Rage deck. Stretched it and added the deck lines. Its not a 270 deck.

NoOtherWay

Reaction score
IMO The 275 does not look anything like a 270, the 275 looks exactly like the Rage. I prefer the squared windshield look over the new rounded look. I think Jerry should have Kept the squared look on the 255.

Also wish the 275 had the billet vents on the corners of the decks transom.

Does the OG 270 straight bottom mold still exist? Last thing, Love the simple timeless gelcoat on most OG Hallett's. Not to many with flames.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Its not close....

Hallet was building 80's/90's rigged and equipped boats up until the very end. Thats not to say they weren't building a nice solid boat but they weren't adapting with the times and improving the boats in any way.

Look how far Howard had come by say 2015 or Eliminator. They were understanding that people wanted more and were learning from the higher end riggers and improving.

Hallet was still throwing on Bennett Tabs and Faria gauges until Nordic took them over.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Its not close....

Hallet was building 80's/90's rigged and equipped boats up until the very end. Thats not to say they weren't building a nice solid boat but they weren't adapting with the times and improving the boats in any way.

Look how far Howard had come by say 2015 or Eliminator. They were understanding that people wanted more and were learning from the higher end riggers and improving.

Hallet was still throwing on Bennett Tabs and Faria gauges until Nordic took them over.

LOL on the tabs and the gauges... Always blew me away that the "classy" old school boat would run those thin sheet metal tabs.

RD

Fenderbender

Reaction score
Im sure Nordic is killing it with quality and everything that they offer, but I would like to see even more of a shift back to the squared windshields and geometric/vintage almost gel schemes from the 90's. Same with interiors as well, I think that this would differentiate the two brands. I have seen a few 255's recently that had tribal, flames and some other swoosh graphics that were more nordic for sure. Just my opinion though and I doubt I will ever be able to build a boat from scratch with the prices of them these days.

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
LOL on the tabs and the gauges... Always blew me away that the "classy" old school boat would run those thin sheet metal tabs.

RD
Looks like new Hallett is still using Bennett tabs.

Had to edit, using Lenco same as Old Hallett was using.

Attachments

• zAoW6ui2TIiifHKqDSj7Pw.jpg
    zAoW6ui2TIiifHKqDSj7Pw.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Great quality but I’d love to see the black plexi windshields, simple gel and more Hallett like interiors.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Nordic’s build, materials, and quality control is better than Halletts. Sorry. Look behind the dash and bilge of an old Hallett. Not saying if they were still in business they wouldn’t have stepped up to todays standards. Todays Nodic/Hallett is a better boat. You can do whatever gel scheme and interior colors you want to keep that old school look.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’d say overall Nick would approve.
If there was an area he might get pissy it would be in the fact they don’t “build it” like a Hallett.
They build it like most others do, screwing two halves together and fitting bulkheads into it, floors, etc after its out of the mold.
That’s not how Hallett did it.
Personally I think the way the Barron era we’re built, they were more stout.

The Nordic way.
BF1D6AFF-EB45-4B33-9BBD-D2C8DA1C6A22.jpeg

How many holes is that?😟

The Barron way
5684993D-AFF3-4D10-8BCD-84B614D20302.jpeg
A73D1230-9CFE-4EAA-8F5C-EBC1914D14FC.jpeg
574B3C54-CE0D-4E21-945C-64F97B56E1A8.jpeg

That boat was removed from the mold with bulkheads, tanks, floors, etc already done and stout as a brick shithouse.
No flexing the individual parts as they are pulled and flipped rightside up and manipulated and screwed together.

Perhaps one day RD should do a back to back ride in one of each similarly powered to do a write up on?
Might be interesting.👍

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
I have one of the last 255's that was being built
It was actually in the mold when Nick passed. It is true that Hallett was a little behind the times with some of their practices when it can to build materials, wood versus composite but that is what happens when you have laminates that have worked for you for years and are set in their ways. I can say that I do believe that they were trying to modernize in terms of interior and accessories. I have state of art electronics and lighting which is the same that is being used by new Hallett I including gauges and controls. The rigging on my boat was decently done and clean but wish that the engine compartment was not splatter coated. Wiring was done clean and would be easy to work on in both the engine compartment and the dash.

Nordic has done a great job of setting up their operation to be more streamline and job specific that makes pumping out a product faster and done in a uniform way with awesome quality control., which also.helps to control your costs. They build a great boat with top quality.

The 275 in my opinion is not really a Hallett yet a Nordic with some Hallett accents. It is a great looking boat but it is very much a Heat including the windshield. The back 5 feet of the deck looks like a Hallett. Not saying that this is bad, different strokes for different folks. It follows the later tradition that Hallett was doing with the more Euro look, love it or hate it.

When all is said, both build or built a great product. I look forward to seeing what Nordic does with the brand and where it goes.