WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 19’SS repower

blkmtrfan

Reaction score
Your boat build looks fantastic and I really like your interior. Just my .02 what about trading your Bob's jack for one with more setback and ditching the Gil bracket. It would sure clean up your transom and still give you vertical adjustment

Bajastu

Reaction score
Your boat build looks fantastic and I really like your interior. Just my .02 what about trading your Bob's jack for one with more setback and ditching the Gil bracket. It would sure clean up your transom and still give you vertical adjustment

I had called Bob’s last week and they are making me a 14” setback jack plate. I’ll be sending back the six inch. You must have been reading my mind. HA

Bajastu

Reaction score
So I finally got to water test the boat and there were not any problems. The only thing that I don't like is that when under way the boat wants to porpoise. To eliminate this I need to bury the trim down. I'm thinking of adding some trim tabs. What brand should I go with, Eddie Marine , Bennett or Harden Marine?

I also plan on raising the engine two more bolt holes. This is temporary until I mount the Bob's Machine shop jack plate.

Last edited:

Checkmate21

Reaction score
Go with Bennetts or Lencos. Both work great on a small boat. Your Evinrude already has about 5" more setback than your Yamaha did. It is built into the motor. If I was setting this boat up for family use, I would have just used a 6" jackplate. The porpoise is from the weight of the motor being so far back. You effectively have about 19" of setback. (14+5 built into the motor bracket) You can trow a bag of about 20lbs of shot up under the bow and that might stop it. The tabs will stop it for sure!

I have had numerous 17 to 19ft low profile outboard boats and I think they are the most fun of any boat that you can own! Your boat looks great and should give you many years of enjoyment.

Bajastu

Reaction score
Go with Bennetts or Lencos. Both work great on a small boat. Your Evinrude already has about 5" more setback than your Yamaha did. It is built into the motor. If I was setting this boat up for family use, I would have just used a 6" jackplate. The porpoise is from the weight of the motor being so far back. You effectively have about 19" of setback. (14+5 built into the motor bracket) You can trow a bag of about 20lbs of shot up under the bow and that might stop it. The tabs will stop it for sure!

I have had numerous 17 to 19ft low profile outboard boats and I think they are the most fun of any boat that you can own! Your boat looks great and should give you many years of enjoyment.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll definitely go with a set of tabs.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
How low is the motor? Too low can cause porpoising type issues.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Level the hull front to back with the tongue jack. We are concerned with the last 4-5ft of the bottom
Level the motor using trim (cav plate is parallel with prop shaft, so easy spot to stick a level)

A good starting spot would be the center of the propshaft 1.5" below the bottom of the boat. Watch water psi, as you go up. 14" back, i imagine you will end up even with the bottom, maybe higher.

Bajastu

Reaction score
Level the hull front to back with the tongue jack. We are concerned with the last 4-5ft of the bottom
Level the motor using trim (cav plate is parallel with prop shaft, so easy spot to stick a level)

A good starting spot would be the center of the propshaft 1.5" below the bottom of the boat. Watch water psi, as you go up. 14" back, i imagine you will end up even with the bottom, maybe higher.

Thank you very much. As you can tell this is my first outboard. I’ve always owned vdrives and I/O’s.

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
So I finally got to water test the boat and there were not any problems. The only thing that I don't like is that when under way the boat wants to porpoise. To eliminate this I need to bury the trim down. I'm thinking of adding some trim tabs. What brand should I go with, Eddie Marine , Bennett or Harden Marine?

I also plan on raising the engine two more bolt holes. This is temporary until I mount the Bob's Machine shop jack plate.

Balance! Get the boat balanced properly and most likely you won’t need trim tabs.

swannee225

Reaction score
I just recently ended up with a similar setup after a trade. 85 Hallett SS. Merc 225 optimax I wish my interior was that clean. This one sat out in the sun for a year or two. I did what I could to restore it for cheap.. an upholstery shop down here in so cal quoted us 6500 to redo the seats and boxes and carpet.
IMG_20200505_125059.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200510090806596_COVER.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bajastu

Reaction score
I just recently ended up with a similar setup after a trade. 85 Hallett SS. Merc 225 optimax I wish my interior was that clean. This one sat out in the sun for a year or two. I did what I could to restore it for cheap.. an upholstery shop down here in so cal quoted us 6500 to redo the seats and boxes and carpet. View attachment 881497 View attachment 881498

Super cool !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bajastu

Reaction score
How does yours run with the merc? The one I picked up had a rude 225bthay needs alot of tlc so I'm rigging a merc 200.

With the Gill 14” stand off bracket and the engine all the way up it hopped like a low rider. I installed some trim tabs and this solved the problem. But with the built in setback on the Evinrude, I’ll be removing the Gill bracket and installing a Bobs 6” jack plate. It’s just a matter of filling holes and drilling holes. Plus the Gill bracket won’t allow the engine to be placed high enough to eliminate excess drag.

On a good note, the 200 hp Evinrude rips out of the hole and runs great. Bummer they dropped the line. But with my 5 year warranty I really don’t care until it starts consuming parts.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
How does yours run with the merc? The one I picked up had a rude 225bthay needs alot of tlc so I'm rigging a merc 200.
Runs great, it’s such a great ski boat. Comes on plane nicely, pulls well, but probably tops out at 60 in perfect conditions with the current prop. I’ve not played around with the prop to try to get more top end—it’s perfect as is for what I need out of it right now.

That being said, today’s probably the last day for heavy use. The shit show that’s a Parker weekend is here, and my boat gets tossed around when it gets busy.

Last edited:

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
With the Gill 14” stand off bracket and the engine all the way up it hopped like a low rider. I installed some trim tabs and this solved the problem. But with the built in setback on the Evinrude, I’ll be removing the Gill bracket and installing a Bobs 6” jack plate. It’s just a matter of filling holes and drilling holes. Plus the Gill bracket won’t allow the engine to be placed high enough to eliminate excess drag.

On a good note, the 200 hp Evinrude rips out of the hole and runs great. Bummer they dropped the line. But with my 5 year warranty I really don’t care until it starts consuming parts.

Was you boat at Porter/ Heavy equipment rental in corona?

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I work there. I had picked it up from Martinez Interiors down the street.

I work there sometimes when Devin calls me.
I generally work with Dave.

Transom angle, amount of set back, engine height (prop shaft in relation to bottom of hull) amount of positive and negative trim. With all the set back you have i suspect transom angle was not considered?

Bajastu

Reaction score
I work there sometimes when Devin calls me.
I generally work with Dave.

Transom angle, amount of set back, engine height (prop shaft in relation to bottom of hull) amount of positive and negative trim. With all the set back you have i suspect transom angle was not considered?

What company do you work for?

Transom angle is what it is unless I use shims. When I mount the new jack plate I’ll measure it. Hallett / Barron rigged the boat with the Gill standoff and I’m sure that the standoff mount incorporates the transom angle. The hole shot on this boat is fantastic and there’s no need for more negative trim. I’d assume that the transom is around 12* -14*

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score

Transom angle is what it is unless I use shims. When I mount the new jack plate I’ll measure it. Hallett / Barron rigged the boat with the Gill standoff and I’m sure that the standoff mount incorporates the transom angle. The hole shot on this boat is fantastic and there’s no need for more negative trim. I’d assume that the transom is around 12* -14*

I’m an independent consultant.

I figured you would have a good hole shot and negative trim is not necessary. You mentioned the trim tabs helped the porpoising why do you think that is ?

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score

Engine height and setback.
Plus the Gill bracket won’t allow the engine to be placed high enough to eliminate excess drag.

You are correct. Transom angle.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I’m an independent consultant.

I figured you would have a good hole shot and negative trim is not necessary. You mentioned the trim tabs helped the porpoising why do you think that is ?

Corrected the weight transfer by lowering the nose. It’s a false fix until I install a 6” Bob’s jack plate.

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
Corrected the weight transfer by lowering the nose. It’s a false fix until I install a 6” Bob’s jack plate.

I test my boat at Lake Elsinore and drive right by your facility.

I mentioned it a while back, balance. I suspect you have too much setback. I do testing at Elsinore I drive right by Porter. Do you work out in the field or do you work in the shop or both?

Bajastu

Reaction score
I test my boat at Lake Elsinore and drive right by your facility.

I mentioned it a while back, balance. I suspect you have too much setback. I do testing at Elsinore I drive right by Porter. Do you work out in the field or do you work in the shop or both?

In the office.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Have you ever ran it with a light load like you and 1 other and nothing else in the boat) and good water conditions? I just ask cause I cut my 15" bracket down to 10" and it made the boat run MUCH better with a load but it seems it could use a couple more inches when it's a really light load. I also have trim tabs to help in certain situations as well

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Bajastu

Reaction score
I just ordered a 6” Bob’s jack plate. I’ll be ditching the Gill 14” standoff and getting that motor closer to the transom. That Evinrude has some serious built in setback compared to a Merc.

The Phantom

Banned
Reaction score
I just ordered a 6” Bob’s jack plate. I’ll be ditching the Gill 14” standoff and getting that motor closer to the transom. That Evinrude has some serious built in setback compared to a Merc.

Balance, gear case height.

Bajastu

Reaction score
47A1CE52-5DD0-4958-817B-20C36AFF5ABF.jpeg
4B8A769D-0804-40E9-80E9-DAB22127CB46.jpeg
2A673725-526D-48C0-9E65-B9C6408D444F.jpeg

Installed some Lenco tabs and they made all the difference. Rides perfect now at any speed w/o porpoising. Next install is the Bobs Jack plate. I need to test out some different prop sizes as well. Current prop is a 22 four blade, next will be a 24 three blade, then maybe a 26.

Who had a good idea on where to mount a gps antenna without distracting from the boat lines?

Bajastu

Reaction score
Oh, and I have a new Bob’s 14” offset jack plate to sell. It’s too big for my application. I removed the electric cylinder from it and installed it in the 6”. Someone make me an offer. You can make it a manual or add an electric cylinder to make it complete.

Attachments

• 452360B8-4C25-4990-BEE2-D5C153A7470B.jpeg
    452360B8-4C25-4990-BEE2-D5C153A7470B.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 236
  • A71A9B03-F5E8-42DB-B392-174F6E1644F5.jpeg
    A71A9B03-F5E8-42DB-B392-174F6E1644F5.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 247

Rayson1971

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting my 300 promax on my 19 ss Hallett. 1.62 sportmaster. Anyone have an idea where to start with a prop? Sorry for the thread jack.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting my 300 promax on my 19 ss Hallett. 1.62 sportmaster. Anyone have an idea where to start with a prop? Sorry for the thread jack.
I was speaking with Ron @ Hill Marine and with my 200 I was going to try a 25 and a 26.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
If anyone has there old interior I will take it off your hands. I could use the wood as a template. Wanna put it back to OG.

Bajastu

Reaction score
If anyone has there old interior I will take it off your hands. I could use the wood as a template. Wanna put it back to OG.
Mine went in the trash. It was in less than desirable condition.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
View attachment 911671 View attachment 911672 View attachment 911673

Installed some Lenco tabs and they made all the difference. Rides perfect now at any speed w/o porpoising. Next install is the Bobs Jack plate. I need to test out some different prop sizes as well. Current prop is a 22 four blade, next will be a 24 three blade, then maybe a 26.

Who had a good idea on where to mount a gps antenna without distracting from the boat lines?
So, you ever run it yet with the 6" bracket?

Bajastu

Reaction score
So, you ever run it yet with the 6" bracket?
I haven’t had the chance to mount it yet. The trim tabs that I installed fixed the porpoising issue for now. It still would be nice to raise the outdrive a few more inches and tuck the engine closer to the boat.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
GLWS it’s a great boat, well fixed up. My plan is to buy a mobile home in Branson’s, give the SS to my son, and pick up a 210/240.

Bajastu

Reaction score
The transom stringers decided to have some separation anxiety and so it was time to head off to Barron Boats for some reinforcements, cut out the stringers, triple the thickness on the transom to stringer attachment point, and add a full aluminum plate that bolts to the stringer and the transom. I’ll also have them ditch the Gill standoff bracket and mount a Bob’s Machine shop 6” jack plate. This will solve the problems of running a heavier motor and not getting the engine up in the sweet spot to reduce drag and add a few mph.
E93FF626-718C-4860-B97E-67812A449F56.jpeg
9211EADF-9069-478B-A74C-6E91C3A6985A.jpeg
3F50FFBA-E8A5-4036-AEFC-1DB9EB95F620.jpeg
96974E72-C3CC-41C7-BA0E-0BE25742BEEB.jpeg
F9F4CCFB-D80E-49DC-9BB5-94348EA7A7AC.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
Damn that could have been catastrophic! It's a good thing you caught it when you did!! Love the garage/shop/mancave you've got too! 😉

Water Romper

Reaction score
My 87. Like someone else said- your interior is NICE. I didn't see- Are you going to put a stereo in the boat? just curious, if you do, where are you going to put it ? space is limited. On the base of the back seat is good but high water zone. Between the front seat and the rear, along the gas tank is good but very shallow. Two under the bow, along where the cup holders would be good but thats only two speakers. Again, VERY nice Hallett

Attachments

• Hallett.jpg
    Hallett.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Hallett Bow.jpg
    Hallett Bow.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 80