WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 210 refresh

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Boat & trailer look great! What's the story on your engine build? How does it handle now with the new tabs & steering? Need more pics.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Boat & trailer look great! What's the story on your engine build? How does it handle now with the new tabs & steering? Need more pics.

The tabs and steering made the boat alot more responsive and stable, small tab movements make a big difference and the steering is very solid/tight at speed. Could not be happier with the engine upgrade the power curve will put a grin on any ones face. Still sorting out the setup and searching for the right prop and drive height combo. Out of the box using the same 23 Mirage and lower unit as the old engine I have seen 16+mph gain and significant increase in acceleration, engine just continues to pull through the whole RPM range does not start to go flat or get lazy at the top like a lot of marine engines.

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The tabs and steering made the boat alot more responsive and stable, small tab movements make a big difference and the steering is very solid/tight at speed. Could not be happier with the engine upgrade the power curve will put a grin on any ones face. Still sorting out the setup and searching for the right prop and drive height combo. Out of the box using the same 23 Mirage and lower unit as the old engine I have seen 16+mph gain and significant increase in acceleration, engine just continues to pull through the whole RPM range does not start to go flat or get lazy at the top like a lot of marine engines.

Boat looked great out on the water last week.....was hoping to get a run in with you leaving the no wake buoys on friday but you seemed to be breaking her in and taking it easy.:cool::)

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Boat looked great out on the water last week.....was hoping to get a run in with you leaving the no wake buoys on friday but you seemed to be breaking her in and taking it easy.:cool::)
Ya, I was kind a bummed, I would have loved to run it but I had just discovered that the drive fluid was leaking pretty good after snagging some fishing line. Next time;)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Ya, I was kind a bummed, I would have loved to run it but I had just discovered that the drive fluid was leaking pretty good after snagging some fishing line. Next time;)

Bummer hopefully it’s no biggie.

Ran into a buzzer when starting on Thursday...turned out the little drive fill resi was low.

Leaving foxes Thursday the boat wouldn’t start until we pulled the air cleaner... boat just doesn’t like the cold water starts with the 1050 carb.

Boat shit[emoji12][emoji41]

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Bummer hopefully it’s no biggie.

Ran into a buzzer when starting on Thursday...turned out the little drive fill resi was low.

Leaving foxes Thursday the boat wouldn’t start until we pulled the air cleaner... boat just doesn’t like the cold water starts with the 1050 carb.

Boat shit[emoji12][emoji41]

Brian's got a solution for that cold start problem:D

View attachment 605234

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Brian's got a solution for that cold start problem:D

View attachment 605234

Tried to do it as well as a cam swap and head work 2 years ago to put the boat in the 90's but he was too busy.....Now I'm good with it and the extra 10K in my pocket:D

Boat has been rock solid and only given me issues twice and both were over thanksgiving when the water is cold....The imco shorty drive program pumps so much water through the boat the temp gauge never budges. In the summer it comes up a hair.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
what kind of speed have you gotten out of her so far?

seems like you should be pulling a 26 or labbed 28

UltraLucky

Reaction score
what kind of speed have you gotten out of her so far?

seems like you should be pulling a 26 or labbed 28

Tried a 26 Bravo 1 but chine walk was a bit much. Only other prop I have tried so far is my old 23 & I am right around 80 on the rev limiter with the 23. We will see were it ends up, have one prop being tweaked right now and another on order. I'm still running the standard length Bravo and will be going to -2 at some point.

Are you running a 3 or 4 blade? Any chine walk?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Tried a 26 Bravo 1 but chine walk was a bit much. Only other prop I have tried so far is my old 23 & I am right around 80 on the rev limiter with the 23. We will see were it ends up, have one prop being tweaked right now and another on order. I'm still running the standard length Bravo and will be going to -2 at some point.

Motor must be pulling a high rpm with the 23?

Boat is solid with the tabs set at 3 on the gauge but still moves around a hair. Anything less than 3 on the gauge and things could get dicey pretty fast and i would never rik it without a lifeline and zero family in the boat.It might have a little more top in in her running ragged loose but the boat is very solid loaded and still runs 80+ in the summer.

I run a labbed bravo 28 and have seen a little over 87 gps (light load and gas)

My boat won't pull the 28 like I would like and I only see like 5200 rpms (pretty sure its over cammed) but it actually runs a better # at a lower rpm compared to a 26. The boat would blow out a 26 at will and I didn't like how it turned with the smaller prop.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Run with a little tab. Every 210 will dance when you get too loose.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Motor must be pulling a high rpm with the 23?

Boat is solid with the tabs set at 3 on the gauge but still moves around a hair. Anything less than 3 on the gauge and things could get dicey pretty fast and i would never rik it without a lifeline and zero family in the boat.It might have a little more top in in her running ragged loose but the boat is very solid loaded and still runs 80+ in the summer.

I run a labbed bravo 28 and have seen a little over 87 gps (light load and gas)

My boat won't pull the 28 like I would like and I only see like 5200 rpms (pretty sure its over cammed) but it actually runs a better # at a lower rpm compared to a 26. The boat would blow out a 26 at will and I didn't like how it turned with the smaller prop.

Sounds like yours is setup well to pull the 4 blade 28 with that low of a slip. RPM is limited at 5800 so that helps with the 23 pitched prop. Same prop with the previous 454 mag would only pull around 4500 to 4600 rpm on a really good day.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
UL & CT, have enjoyed following both of your builds, bad ass 210's for sure.

Had the engine in my 210 pulled last month. The 454 is going to become a stroked 496 with approx 500hp. I won't be able to keep up with either of you but should be respectable:D

rsap

Reaction score
Where did you get the gelcoat work done? Looking for a place in SoCal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Where did you get the gelcoat work done? Looking for a place in SoCal

Most of the Gel on the exterior is original to the boat I had the blue stripes redone with the silver/pearl and cleared. Orange County Boat repair did all the exterior gel work repairs, color sand and clear.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Most of the Gel on the exterior is original to the boat I had the blue stripes redone with the silver/pearl and cleared. Orange County Boat repair did all the exterior gel work repairs, color sand and clear.

If you care to share the cost of such work would be greatly appreciated, if not no big deal.
I need to have some gel work done on my 210 within a budget...LOL

UltraLucky

Reaction score
If you care to share the cost of such work would be greatly appreciated, if not no big deal.
I need to have some gel work done on my 210 within a budget...LOL
"With in a budget" LOL, that is how I started. The original cost estimate to repair all the Gel Coat scratches, gouges and damage on the exterior and color sand and buff was around $ 2,800. The color change on the Blue stripping to silver pearl, clear coat the boat and re due the bottom (fix scratches and re gel) added another 3k. Every Boat is going to be different even if they are the same make and model. All depends on the condition and what type of damage needs to be repaired. If there is fades the cost could be more. Mine had some pretty good gouges on every corner and the bottom keel was pretty worn.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
I'm always following Ultra Luckys build. LOL, my gel coat budget, for my 210, went from what I thought was going to be $1,500 - $2,000 to......$7,200. Prior owner put in some nice scratches that went through several colors, bottom had been beached hard. Smooth as Glass out of Riverbank did the work, not cheap but quality is top notch.

Hammer

Reaction score
Can you snap a photo of the front of your engine showing the pulleys and front of the motor? Putting my motor together and would like a picture to reference

tkrrox

Reaction score
Have you guys tried 5-blades. I like my cutting edge 5-blade a lot better than the bravo one I’ve tried. (Note. I have a 240)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Have you guys tried 5-blades. I like my cutting edge 5-blade a lot better than the bravo one I’ve tried. (Note. I have a 240)

I settled on a Rev 4. Your 240 is heavy. An overall lifting prop like the Rev 4 works well. A B1 is a stern lifter.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
View attachment 617782
Can you snap a photo of the front of your engine showing the pulleys and front of the motor? Putting my motor together and would like a picture to reference

The alternator and power steering clearance is pretty tight with the power flow manifolds I am using.

Last edited:

UltraLucky

Reaction score

What differences did you see using the 5 blade vs the Bravo 1? I have been working with Cutting edge on my 3 blades.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
I settled on a Rev 4. Your 240 is heavy. An overall lifting prop like the Rev 4 works well. A B1 is a stern lifter.
I have heard the Rev 4 works well with the 210. What size are your using on your 210?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What differences did you see using the 5 blade vs the Bravo 1? I have been working with Cutting edge on my 3 blades.

If I remember I think thrrox has more than stock power for that 5 blade.......

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have heard the Rev 4 works well with the 210. What size are your using on your 210?

23. A 23 Rev4 is like a 24 B1. Blades have more cup. They have a 25 and 27. I bet the 25 would work perfect for your power.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
23. A 23 Rev4 is like a 24 B1. Blades have more cup. They have a 25 and 27. I bet the 25 would work perfect for your power.
Thanks,

will give one a try once I get the new lower on.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

I have a rev 23p on my 240.....kind of want to try the rev 25p and have been looking for used but no dice.....

Runs2rch

Reaction score
502 415hp. I'm thinking not enough hp, but maybe doable in cool weather.

What rpm do you see with the 23 now? I run a 23 in my 210 with a 496HO. I am dead on 5100 in the summer. Remember all about propping for when you boat.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What rpm do you see with the 23 now? I run a 23 in my 210 with a 496HO. I am dead on 5100 in the summer. Remember all about propping for when you boat.

I've never ran it to the rev limiter. Always been nervous to do so, motor starts to scream around 4-4200.... I don't want to have a rebuild on my hands ha ha ha

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
View attachment 600454

How's your dog doing? Bailey is getting pretty old over here. Walks with a limp. Wonder if we brought them together if they would even know they are related......

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I've never ran it to the rev limiter. Always been nervous to do so, motor starts to scream around 4-4200.... I don't want to have a rebuild on my hands ha ha ha

You're not going to hurt it. The Rev limiter is 5100 on the 415hp 502 Mpi. You need to stretch her legs!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You're not going to hurt it. The Rev limiter is 5100 on the 415hp 502 Mpi. You need to stretch her legs!

Will be out first weekend in March. Might just have to do it.

You think it’s possible to spin the rev 25? 23 works well all around just looking for little more speed with less rpm. When running from the spring to pirates.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Will be out first weekend in March. Might just have to do it.

You think it’s possible to spin the rev 25? 23 works well all around just looking for little more speed with less rpm. When running from the spring to pirates.

I think the 25 will be too much prop for your combo in the warm weather. Summer with people, full load of fuel and gear it will probably struggle. Try it though.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I think the 25 will be too much prop for your combo in the warm weather. Summer with people, full load of fuel and gear it will probably struggle. Try it though.

Would agree. Was looking for the cooler months and just the wife and no kids and extra crap. Small cooler and 2 chairs. If I find one used I might pick it up to try. Thx.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
View attachment 600454

How's your dog doing? Bailey is getting pretty old over here. Walks with a limp. Wonder if we brought them together if they would even know they are related......
He is doing well, still abit of an asshole at times. Likes to take anything that you show any intrest in and he can grab with his mouth. He does have skin allergies so we have him on a grain free diet.

Last edited:

UltraLucky

Reaction score
What brand guages did you go with? I want to do mine as well and it looks so tight on space for bezels

I used Auto meter Gauges mainly because I did not want to re due all the wiring ends to conform with the Livorsi gauges. I had to trim the Bezels down to fit the gauges in the exiting holes. You can get thinner gauge bezels than what I used from Dana/Marine Industries and may not have to trim at all.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
great thread buddy,... you did very well on this refresh...hope to see it on the water soon...

tkrrox

Reaction score

Sorry I didn’t see this before. The 3-blade blew out like crazy, the 4 blade had less blow out and had a couple mph better on top but the 5 blade has a lot nicer mid(cruise speed) almost no blow out and is great for towing the kids around on skis and tubes