WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 240

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
So in 2016 my wife and I sold our Hallett 210 closed bow in hopes to find a 240. The 210 ended up going to a member out of the Phoenix area. We settled on a super clean 240 that needed a few updates.

First things first was the stereo, as I could live with the other stuff but not having tunes was a no go for me. The stereo was stuck in the 90s to say the least, a head unit that was driving 4 paper cone 6x9’s, definitely not Marine friendly. So I took it to Carlos at Art of Sound in Upland Ca. Let me start off by saying this guys installs a sano, it all solder connections, shrink wrapped with and zip tied the way it should be.

He went with 6 6.5 PM2652 speakers 2 RM110D2 subwoofers 2 amps a 1200-1D and a 400-4D. He also installed a remote control off the back.

Before

IMG_4439.jpg

This is all I have as it pretty much went from the dealer to art of sound.

IMG_4404.jpg
IMG_2473.jpg
IMG_4095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Next up was the dash! The previous owner primarily boated on mead and Powell so it had a bunch of stuff I would never need nor did I like. GPS, rf radio, external speaker, compass and dated Bennett indicators. Our 210 had livorsi gauges and I really liked them so I wanted to do the same for this boat.

First step was removing the old stuff and taking the boat to pats fiberglass to fill all the holes left from all the clutter.

During this time I purchased all the gauges at the 2018 Los Angeles boat show from Mike at Cp Performance. Luckily my wife was with me and helped me pick out everything and also said that the gauges would not look all that great unless we. Updated the helm, post, steering wheel and controls. So I went home a real happy man that day!

When pats finished the work it went to John, who I can’t thank or recommend enough, at Concept Marine to install the new ones. John is as anal as I am so if it’s something I’m not up to the task of I know it will get done right! Probably be done two or three times before he’s happy with the out come.

The wheel and helm are still in the garage waiting for the hydraulic steering lol.

Before

IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg
image111.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg

After

IMG_2023.jpg
IMG_4401.jpg
IMG_4403.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Once all that was done it was time to replace the teak flooring as it was past the point of saving. I’ll start by saying I now know why shops charge so much for this! It’s a ton of labor and you never know what you’ll find when pulling apart an old boat. Lucky for me my floor was in dam good shape and didn’t need to be replaced.

I purchased the teak and holly from Strata Forrest Products is Santa Ana. FYI a 240 takes 3 sheets.
I don’t have specific floor photos of before but you can see it was pretty ragged in these. I also took the time to add some red mood lighting when putting everything back together.

Before

IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4454.jpg

After

IMG_2131.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg
IMG_2740.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg

Spot

Reaction score
Very nice. I will be following this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
The lights look awesome. Good job

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Next up was the trailer. It’s the same one that the boat rolled out with brand new. Surprisingly it’s still in really good shape and I believe it’s been repainted a time or two. With that said, it’s definitely not up to date with all the new stuff. So lights, and wheels where on the list. Later this season I’ll do the bunks as it’s time.

Before

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg

After

IMG_4431.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg
IMG_2654.jpg

Last edited:

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Ever since I’ve owned this 240 something that it’s always lacked is performance. It did have a 502 mag mpi but it has always felt like the hull wanted more or should I say could handle more. The wife and I contemplated selling and buying something else but really could think or find something that checked all the boxes except for what we already had... a 240. Everything else was either out of our budget or needed more then I wanted to put in. I did find a few affordable 300T’s but then reality struck and the thought of having two of everything to care and clean just made my OCD go nutts, not to mention where we boat is north of the hwy 95 bridge so on low water days we’d drive down to needles... kinda sucks.

So I thought it through, kinda, and once we returned from our summer trip to Idaho I listed the 502 for sale. I sat on the 502 for a little and then I received a call from a guy, who is a member here, in Louisiana who had a buddy looking for a clean 502. So I sent some photos/service records and in return he asked for a live Video for peace of mind. I thought it was the least I could do if he was going to buy sight unseen, so I agreed and drove out to the river to give him what he asked for. Shortly after I sent the videos he called and said it was sold and he would wire me a deposit.

Now this guy is a welding inspector for a pipeline company so he travels for work and had made it clear he isn’t the easiest to reach. let’s say a week goes by and I still haven’t received a deposit. Then one afternoon my phone rings and this local guy is hot to buy the 502 that day as his just blew up and he could pick it up after work. I tell him I have an interested buyer who was supposed to leave a deposit that I haven’t heard from. Told him I’ll call him to find out his deal. So I call the Louisiana guy and tell him I’ve got another guy interested and in return he wires the money after our phone conversation. I call the local guy back and tell him sorry I just took a deposit and it’s not for sale. He then hits me with I’ll give you $1500 over what you’re asking. Hmmm this is worth exploring... so I call the guy back in Louisiana and tell him I might take a local offer and would refund him his deposit along with $500 bucks for his time. With no hesitation he unloads on me! For the first time in my life I got called a “dam California yankee” and told that this is why no one likes People from California.. lol. After a few minutes I get him calmed down and we both agree to keep our end of the deal as it was already a deal. 2 days later he shows up with his buddy from RDP to pick up the engine. Yes he drove all the way out to California lol.

Let me tell you he was a stand up fucking dude! That selling experience taught me some life experiences that an extra 1k could have never taught me. Your integrity has no price, and a good deal is one that both parties walk out happy as money is irrelevant.

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
So now that the motor was gone and I had a couple extra bucks in my pocket and I started evaluating my options. I quickly found out that building a motor from scratch was going to be extremely expensive. It wasn’t necessarily the hard parts but the accessories, all the pulleys, pumps,coolers and brackets, that’s where the money is at.

That being said I realized my option was to buy something complete with either fresh/ low hours or something tired that had great bones and needed a refresh. So the hunt was on. I searched the classifieds and Facebook daily but was in no hurry to jump into a headache.

That left me with some time to get back to the boat and make the bilge worth Putting something shiny in.

IMG_3645.JPG
IMG_3643.JPG

As you can tell from these photos the bilge was in dire need of some cleaning. So with a day of elbow grease, some soap and water I got it as clean as I could! Keep in mind I pull everything out of the bilge to do this.

IMG_3648.JPG

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
So once the bilge was as clean as I could get it I started to map out where everything was going to go. I knew I wanted some bling so I went back to the good old internet aka CP Performance which lead me to Some products manufactured by GetReal Performance. CP no longer stocks their product but I was dead set on having it as the price was fair and it actually looked like good quality stuff! A couple minutes on the web and I was able to track down the owners number (crazy how much shit is available on the web). Much to my surprise he answered my call and turns out he’s a member on here. Roy was extremely nice and hooked me up with some inventory he had left.

I was so excited when the package showed up I took it to work to wire it up at my desk! (Helps when your boss is into boats more then you lol)

IMG_3973.JPG
IMG_3944.JPG
IMG_3943.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG
IMG_3939.JPG

The following weekend was go time, I finally got to start putting some hardware back in the shell! After being that crackhead in the drive way until midnight Countless zip ties I started to get the effect I wanted. Every screw that went back into a piece of wood was put in with a dab of silicone to do the best to protect the wood.

I had Eddie marine polish and clear coat the motor mounts and bilge pump bracket to match the rest of the shiny stuff. West marine is where I bought the bilge pump and new blowers and all the hoses.

IMG_4421.JPG
IMG_4422.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG

I included this photo but it did happen during the engine install. One thing I wanted was to hide the mercury shift linkage. So it’s through bolted using the bolts off the ski tow. It’s nicely hidden as they always seem out of place when mounted anywhere else but the motor.

IMG_3960.JPG

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Man I was just scrolling through this thread and getting all excited to see the new engine at the end.... what a tease! Lol

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Man I was just scrolling through this thread and getting all excited to see the new engine at the end.... what a tease! Lol

Thought about posting some pics of it since he’s a tease but figured he’s averaging an update a week on this thread....reminds me of that June thread “how to keep an idiot in suspense” LOL. Hurry up Hector!

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Thought about posting some pics of it since he’s a tease but figured he’s averaging an update a week on this thread....reminds me of that June thread “how to keep an idiot in suspense” LOL. Hurry up Hector!

Hahah dick! I’m getting there.

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
So being that the 502 was gone the quest for some new power was on. I knew I wanted to buy something in long block form or complete drop in. I was really dead set on a N/A big cubic inch deal and want to stay far away from any blower deals.

I stumbled on this 555ci that a member on here had for sale. A few days later I went and looked at it and was very pleased with what I had seen. We agreed on a price and I left him a deposit for half the asking price, in return he let me take the engine and have it checked out. Turns out the engine shop I took it to did not like what they were seeing. I won’t get into details but it just gave me cold feet on the whole deal and he was very stand up and gave me my money back. Not sure where this motor went but I hope it’s making someone happy because it was really nice!

IMG_2874.jpg

A month or so went by with no luck. One Saturday I happened to call Pfaff / Baca marine and a gentleman answered the phone and talked to me for a bit. In our discussions he said he had a low hour Teague motor that they had pulled for bigger power. It had been sitting on the self for a few years but was all there ready to go. It was 1 of 2 motors out of a fountain that happened to belong to the late Peter Kompaniez. The twin was already sold and the one the had was minus a power steering pump. After receiving some pictures I made the decision to go check it out in hopes of coming home with it.
I struck a deal and had a starting point..... but is was a blower deal.... and that’s where the snow ball began.

The day I picked it up. It was soaked in WD-40 I assume as a anti corrosion method.
IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpg
    IMG_3601.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 135

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Did I miss something? I thought you put a blower motor in it last year?
Should of picked up that 509 I sold and been done with it.

Last edited:

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Once I picked it up it was off to John Cogan at Concept Marine for a once over. He wasted no time and got it on the run stand, much to his and my surprise even though it had been sitting it just took some fuel in the carburetors and this thing lit right off. After some run time John had his guys do a leak down / compression test and it came back with a clean bill of health. Once the was finished it was stripped to a long block to be clean and painted since obviously the red was not going to fly!

As far as what it is....
It started life as a Merc 502 then when Teague built it the first time it was taken to 509ci, Merlin cast iron 310cc heads, Carrillo rods, added a 250blower , etc. it was freshened up by them again later on. Then I’m assuming the boat it was originally in was sold in which it was freshened up a third time buy the new hence how it ended up somewhere else besides Teague. On the third time the crank was changed from a 4” to a 4.25” and light hone . Making it 540ci. The heads are definitely on the small side along with the baby blower but with a 3” top pulley it makes good numbers. Oddly enough I was able to acquire the paper trail for the motor.

So back to the topic at hand,

I asked John to paint the long block black. Just so happens I show up to his shop one day after work and my motor is now silver. One thing I love about John is he’s not afraid to make a decision on what he knows will look better, He’s usually right too.

All the aluminum was sent to the polisher for a good spit shine!
IMG_3732.jpg

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Being that I have pulled several motors in several different Halletts myself I knew I wanted to copy a Mercruiser / Mercury package. Their layout is functional and everything stays with the motor when it’s pulled. I can’t stand when fuel filter heads are hear, oil coolers are here, remote oil filters are here..... next thing you know you’ve got a rats nest in the bilge.

That ment the accessory rigging had to change.

Trip to CP Performance for some new hardware
IMG_3616.jpg

Imco Low mount power steering and alternator bracket. Fuel water separator and head mount. Had to move the water pump because the filter wouldn’t clear.

IMG_3783.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

The motor came with gil exhaust but were lacking luster. So when a buddy of mine offered me his imco power flow pluses after he made the switch to big tube headers, I jumped on the opportunity
IMG_3777.jpg

Oil cooler mounts to the exhaust and is designed so you can still change spark plugs. New remote oil filter mount.

IMG_3851.jpg

Final run on the stand before going in! you can hardly see it in the photo but look under the fuel water separator and you’ll notice even the holly electric fuel pump is mounted on the motor
IMG_3984.jpg

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Nice work. Doing some of the same types of things myself. What is a Bravo 1 FS drive?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Have the rev as well and was hoping I can spin the 26...would love to test one before spending the $$$$
496HO even with people and 1/2 or above fuel I can get 5000rpm. 2 pitch increase with FS should net the same. 3 pitch increase should drop 150-200rpm. Cruise and top end should improve.

Eros562

Reaction score
Great thread. I just picked up our first boat yesterday and it needs a stereo i am going to look up art of sound. Do you boat havasu? That is where i will be soending most of our time.

Attachments

• FC3B0F2E-9D7F-4007-8DDA-79C8E1DFC429.jpeg
    FC3B0F2E-9D7F-4007-8DDA-79C8E1DFC429.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 111