WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 270 question

brendellajet

Reaction score
Thinking about mounting my oil cooler to the side of this step/floor in my 270. Obviously the lower stringer is made from a 2x6, any guesses as to how the step is made?

I'm trying to mount between step and stringer. Just want to make sure it's sturdy enough.
20200524_134630.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
go out side and measure from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the u bolt .... then go in side and measure from the u bolt to the floor… subtract that number from the first and that tell the thickness of the floor....

brendellajet

Reaction score
go out side and measure from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the u bolt .... then go in side and measure from the u bolt to the floor… subtract that number from the first and that tell the thickness of the floor....
Trying to mount to the side of the step, not the top, which I know is 3/4".

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Trying to mount to the side of the step, not the top, which I know is 3/4".

as you are, I would also be care full... bt, you can do the same for the side... put a straight edge on the side of the eye bolt,.. amd measure outside,... then get in the boat and measure the same …that'll tel you the thickness...people who don't do it that way find out they mounted the boat to the bunks on the traile.r..

brendellajet

Reaction score
as you are, I would also be care full... bt, you can do the same for the side... put a straight edge on the side of the eye bolt,.. amd measure outside,... then get in the boat and measure the same …that'll tel you the thickness...people who don't do it that way find out they mounted the boat to the bunks on the traile.r..
Lol, I know that I have from 5" on the outside, approx 10" at the step from the nearest bunk.

rrrr

Reaction score
If the top is ¾" plywood, it's almost a sure thing the side is. I can't imagine it being anything else.

Drill a small hole into it and you'll find out. You can epoxy the hole and no harm done.

Hope it works out for you.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
If the top is ¾" plywood, it's almost a sure thing the side is. I can't imagine it being anything else.

Drill a small hole into it and you'll find out. You can epoxy the hole and no harm done.

Hope it works out for you.

So that is why on your Resume, the Boat Rigging Position time period was so short.

:)

rrrr

Reaction score
A ⅛" hole isn't going to hurt the boat.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
That’s how my oil cooler is mounted in my Advantage. I was surprised it’s not even thru bolted, just screwed in, but it hasn’t been a problem in 19 years so must be good enough lol.
64703612-45BE-41CF-914A-5BB8292848F0.jpeg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
There appears to be a void there between where you want to mount it and the bottom or side of the boat. There isn't going to be any tension or stress other than it's own weight hanging there so I would worry too much about it. Maybe try and get the top screws into the top 3/4 of the edge so it hits both angels.

brendellajet

Reaction score
Thanks all for your thoughts. I was hoping Racey was right but the step is just 3/4" ply. I ended up drilling some small holes in the top as well so I could through-bolt it. I'll machine up a couple small covers for the holes and be done with it.
20200524_201143.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Thanks all for your thoughts. I was hoping Racey was right but the step is just 3/4" ply. I ended up drilling some small holes in the top as well so I could through-bolt it. I'll machine up a couple small covers for the holes and be done with it. View attachment 880534

Yeah i deleted my post almost immediately because you can see in the first picture you posted where the stringer ends in front of the bulkhead. I knew one of those stringers ended in the engine bay, and the other runs full length, i couldn't remember which one. Anyway that 3/4" would be fine, and i would have recommended thru bolting anyway. (I've seen plenty that were just lagged, but i never use lags)