WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 400

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m in no position to restore this beauty. But is this just an interior and hatch rework to get rid of the staggered motor set up?

Or are we talking new bulkheads etc.

Love the OG 400. Sad to see it gutted like this.

F259AAA9-F851-4005-87A2-996E727EEF25-36188-00000ABB9861A6EB.jpg

92730300-5E79-4B0C-8029-161E3F872C7D-36188-00000ABB93F045D8.jpg

77A5C319-9963-465A-859B-2B8BC7DE7F7B-36188-00000ABB901F8635.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Reaction score
Are you asking what it'd take to convert that from staggered to standard set up? Not worth it. Lot of work involved.

You have to fill in the transom to start with.
Change the stringers out to accommodate standard configuration
Then most likely if you wanted to push the rear bench back to make the cockpit more user-friendly (which is the point of getting rid of the staggers) you'd need to pull the engine bulk head and push it back.

Better plan would be to keep the stagger (better set up anyway) and drop in a 6 pack cockpit set up or put regular drop down bolsters in the front with standing bolsters in the back. Drop some blown 900's and #6's in it and youd have one bad mamma jamma poker runner. I dig that thing. That's what I'd do with it.

Like this -

6 pack 2.jpg
6 pack.jpg

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Are you asking what it'd take to convert that from staggered to standard set up? Not worth it. Lot of work involved.

Then most likely if you wanted to push the rear bench back to make the cockpit more user-friendly (which is the point of getting rid of the staggers) you'd need to pull the engine bulk head and push it back.

Better plan would be to keep the stagger (better set up anyway) and drop in a 6 pack cockpit set up or put regular drop down bolsters in the front with standing bolsters in the back. Drop some blown 900's and #6's in it and youd have one bad mamma jamma poker runner. I dig that thing. That's what I'd do with it.

Forgot about the transom....

For some reason In my head I thought maybe just slide a motor back and change the hatch. Forgot the drives will get wider lol.

Do the stringers change or is the second motor just further up than normal?

Also doesn’t look like this has a Hallett door... 10k last I heard?

Tank

Reaction score

For some reason In my head I thought maybe just slide a motor back and change the hatch. Forgot the drives will get wider lol.

Stringers have to be moved. Plus a new engine hatch. 😬

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This boat will be in the Barstow desert soon.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

Like this -

It wouldn’t be cheap, but it would be waaaaay the fk less then building new
My thought would be remove bulkhead, push it back. Cut stringers in engine compartment only ( or trim to set below new motor heights, and re locate new stringers from new bulkhead back. Fill transom. Now ready for new motors, drives, full interior. And saved yourself well over 200k

If I didn’t buy house and toon in the last month AJ would have a new 5 year project, lmao

Backlash

Reaction score
Or just leave the setup the way it is, and throw some motors and drives back in it. Run that sucker, enjoy it then sell it as a complete boat. Then build what you want with the funds from the sale. You'll never come out ahead, but trying to buy that, cut it up, rebuild it correctly, and STILL have to buy motors and drives and install those, is going to set you back a truckload of money.

I like the 400, but personally, I think the 300 would be a damn near perfect boat.

Dalton

Reaction score
Is there any chance one motor was unnecessarily far forward to improve weight distribution? There’s no staggered 400’s with normal seating?

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Is there any chance one motor was unnecessarily far forward to improve weight distribution? There’s no staggered 400’s with normal seating?

The engines are staggered to get the drives close together for better performance.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Or just leave the setup the way it is, and throw some motors and drives back in it. Run that sucker, enjoy it then sell it as a complete boat. Then build what you want with the funds from the sale. You'll never come out ahead, but trying to buy that, cut it up, rebuild it correctly, and STILL have to buy motors and drives and install those, is going to set you back a truckload of money.

I like the 400, but personally, I think the 300 would be a damn near perfect boat.
The 30 is pretty much the perfect boat. These flat deck 40's are just so bad ass.

Tank

Reaction score

Exactly. Like I said, rig it with SSMVI's and big power, slap a 6 pack seating set up and run that bitch hard!

It is really a beautiful boat. The red is stunning. It would be a great runner with that set up and around 900 HP.

It was mentioned in one add that it could be transitioned to an outboard boat. FUUUUUUUCK all that. Plus, you'd still have to do some heavy transom work and the extended engine bay would still need to be addressed.

Best answer here is rig it like it is and run it.

There's no transom sexier than a staggered #6 transom!

image (1).jpg
image (2).jpg

This is how I'd do the interior on it (sans the center steering wheel

51_1.jpg

and this is how I'd do the motors on it 😁
IMG_2238.jpg

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I do believe that Joe Malich still has all the parts from this boat.

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
Someone needs to buy it at put 3 450's on the back. 80MPH with plenty of room for Lounge seating.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

The transom is easy to repair compared to the bilge stringers and engine bulkhead being moved.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Exactly. Like I said, rig it with SSMVI's and big power, slap a 6 pack seating set up and run that bitch hard!

It is really a beautiful boat. The red is stunning. It would be a great runner with that set up and around 900 HP.

It was mentioned in one add that it could be transitioned to an outboard boat. FUUUUUUUCK all that. Plus, you'd still have to do some heavy transom work and the extended engine bay would still need to be addressed.

Best answer here is rig it like it is and run it.

There's no transom sexier than a staggered #6 transom!

View attachment 1009908 View attachment 1009909

This is how I'd do the interior on it (sans the center steering wheel

View attachment 1009910

and this is how I'd do the motors on it 😁 View attachment 1009911
Someone needs to break the news to this guy that he needs bigger trim tabs.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I say give Tankster the checkbook and get outta his way....... Herbst boys ran this baby around Newport .... I'd always enjoy passing her at their dock lifted up outta the water. Sweet ride back in her day.

Tank

Reaction score
I say give Tankster the checkbook and get outta his way....... Herbst boys ran this baby around Newport .... I'd always enjoy passing her at their dock lifted up outta the water. Sweet ride back in her day.
Yeah, someone give me their checkbook and I'll make that focker a show stopper. 😆 👍

wishiknew

Reaction score

where is this boat now ??? looks like one that was at oasis storage sitting outside for the last 7 years

hallett21

Reaction score
where is this boat now ??? looks like one that was at oasis storage sitting outside for the last 7 years

I saw it on Craigslist. A few members said the guy selling it buys boats and sells them for parts.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

Joe Malich has it at the old Lavey building in Corona. I saw it today when I was there to look at the 43 Eliminator he has for sale.

Reactions: DWC

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Did not know that

Neither did I. He was telling me about it and when we looked at it I realized I had seen it somewhere before. Then it occurred to me this thread had been posted not too long ago.