WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett Conversion

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
For the kind of money that it costs to put twin whackers on there you could just build a very nice NA motor and even slap a brand new XR drive on the boat....

Apart from very marginal differences, when talking about 4 strokes, HP = Fuel Consumption. If you are using 300 HP in a whacker or 300HP in a big block to go X speed the fuel burn will be very close.

The whackers that get good mileage do it because the boat has been laid up like a tissue box compared to the I/O version, and weighs much less.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Ok….. I’ll take a wack at this.

First…… Have a custom bracket built by Armstrong. You are going to probably need it sealed so it becomes a flotation bracket. This will offset the counter weight of the motors. (Armstrong will do the math) The Armstrong Bracket will set your new twin outboards approx 30” of the transom. Adding 2.5 ft. It will also leave room for several models of boarding ladders.

Next……. Have twin jackplates installed on bracket. This is so much better than having the motors fixed. Why? You will want to lower for hole shots, then lift for proper trim and gas mileage. Easiest way to find the sweet spot.

Optional…….
Get longer or larger trim tabs.
Move additional fuel tank where inboard motor was, but only if the boat is out of balance.
Consider installing outboards wide enough to put boarding ladder in between.
Consider having jackplate controls and motor trim switches mounted directly into steering wheel With thumb controls. Fun stuff!

I am on several ocean boating forums. Conversions like these are done all the time. However, it would be the first Hallett 270 that I am aware of. The Bolt on Bracket is the key element.

hallett21

Reaction score
A full interior Lavey 2750 with 300xs motors touched 90. And they race that boat.

Pretty sure that boat it running 12” bobs jackplates.

Outboards can be trimmed in and out as well as up and down. That alone makes it more versatile than an I/O.

I know there’s blind hatred for outboards but cmon lol.

Attachments

• 755C853C-049C-481F-B8B9-4862795417B0.png
    755C853C-049C-481F-B8B9-4862795417B0.png
    842.9 KB · Views: 97

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just looking around tonight and found a Merc Verado 300CXL in white for $16,357 new in the box. Also a 250XL Pro XS in stock for $10,446. Either of those workable? Looks like both have 25" shaft.

So, not counting motors, what would guestimate cost be to convert from I/O to a single or twin o/b setup? Any guesses?

Does that include the controls? Don't forget about the costs to rewire the boat.

Maybe new gauges. Sensors for sure. Ect, ect, ect...

Could be a Massive can of worms.

hallett21

Reaction score
Mercury 600sci weighs 1392 with a bravo 1 out drive according to mercury. I assume that’s a dry weight? Still need steering of some sorts and I believe exhaust tips?

300r is 512 dry weight. You would need over 300lbs of additional rigging to equal the I/O’s weight.

GregG

Reaction score
But ................... they need (2) 300 R's or 1024lbs total. The Verado's won't work. A big 27 needs the torque of the V8 300R .

hallett21

Reaction score
But ................... they need (2) 300 R's or 1024lbs total. The Verado's won't work. A big 27 needs the torque of the V8 300R .
My 300lbs figured in the twins.

Hallett already built a 290 with 300 Verados (I believe it did high 70s).

Laveycraft’s 2750 pictured above is powered by 2 strokes.

GregG

Reaction score
The small displacement Verado is not close to the grunt of the V8's. I would actually do 300XS smokers with small gearcases before the Verado.

GregG

Reaction score
FYI scale weight of a 300 R with fluids and a Sportmaster is 561 pounds

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Yep, known Breck for a while. He's working on my boat here.
View attachment 1079540

Haven't met Joel in person, but have talked to him via phone and text. However, I am going to meet him this week up in New Braunfels. He's bringing some precious cargo from Havasu, via the RDP Express, for me.

There are a bunch of small batch distilleries popping up around the hill country. Garrison Brothers out in Hye, TX (between Johnson City and Fredricksburg) is one of my faves. I know Breck would probably be up for a little road trip.
I think you may have to come to Havasu for DS.. Breck and I will be there for it..got plenty of room in the boat for a couple more lol. Though I think Tim would like the hill country...lots of epic breweries in the area which is one thing im going to miss when we leave.

hallett21

Reaction score
Does that include the controls? Don't forget about the costs to rewire the boat.

Maybe new gauges. Sensors for sure. Ect, ect, ect...

Could be a Massive can of worms.
If it was all about the money you could run 2 smart craft gauges and a simrad screen. Assuming we’re talking about new mercury outboards.

I’m pretty sure you could ditch the gauges and just view everything through one simrad.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If it was all about the money you could run 2 smart craft gauges and a simrad screen. Assuming we’re talking about new mercury outboards.

I’m pretty sure you could ditch the gauges and just view everything through one simrad.

glass cockpits suck. I want my gauges!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Exactly. So now we have dash holes to fill. And we need to mount a display in a dash that wasn't designed for it.

And wiring.

GregG

Reaction score
You will spend $100k and with that in mind you will want some gauges. You can't run a single Simrad for twins.

GregG

Reaction score
Ok….. I’ll take a wack at this.

First…… Have a custom bracket built by Armstrong. You are going to probably need it sealed so it becomes a flotation bracket. This will offset the counter weight of the motors. (Armstrong will do the math) The Armstrong Bracket will set your new twin outboards approx 30” of the transom. Adding 2.5 ft. It will also leave room for several models of boarding ladders.

Next……. Have twin jackplates installed on bracket. This is so much better than having the motors fixed. Why? You will want to lower for hole shots, then lift for proper trim and gas mileage. Easiest way to find the sweet spot.

Optional…….
Get longer or larger trim tabs.
Move additional fuel tank where inboard motor was, but only if the boat is out of balance.
Consider installing outboards wide enough to put boarding ladder in between.
Consider having jackplate controls and motor trim switches mounted directly into steering wheel With thumb controls. Fun stuff!

I am on several ocean boating forums. Conversions like these are done all the time. However, it would be the first Hallett 270 that I am aware of. The Bolt on Bracket is the key element.
The 27 will float a couple of wackers just fine at 2 feet. With a Porta Bracket you only need 20" to fully tilt them up and can still put the swim step in the middle.

hallett21

Reaction score
glass cockpits suck. I want my gauges!
Lol I hear ya.

Everytime these outboard conversations come up no one will compare straight across the board.

We all have our style and that’s all good. If you’re a big block V8 guy then all the power to you.

If you think a Hallett with outboards looks like shit that’s cool too.

But comparing new mercury outboards to garage Rick’s custom build isn’t fair. The warranty alone isn’t comparable.

I hear all the time that outboard boats are only fast because they are laid up like a potato chip. Well our vector is standard layup. We carry a large box anchor, danforth anchor, sand spike, spare prop, 2-3 skis, decent sized hard cooler, ropes and whatever else I’m not remembering. Our boat will hit 68MPH with a 250hp outboard with 30 gallons of fuel.

It takes more than that for an I/O vector to do the same.

2750 Lavey with twins does 90. Anyone with a 600 hitting that?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Lol I hear ya.

Everytime these outboard conversations come up no one will compare straight across the board.

We all have our style and that’s all good. If you’re a big block V8 guy then all the power to you.

If you think a Hallett with outboards looks like shit that’s cool too.

But comparing new mercury outboards to garage Rick’s custom build isn’t fair. The warranty alone isn’t comparable.

I hear all the time that outboard boats are only fast because they are laid up like a potato chip. Well our vector is standard layup. We carry a large box anchor, danforth anchor, sand spike, spare prop, 2-3 skis, decent sized hard cooler, ropes and whatever else I’m not remembering. Our boat will hit 68MPH with a 250hp outboard with 30 gallons of fuel.

It takes more than that for an I/O vector to do the same.

2750 Lavey with twins does 90. Anyone with a 600 hitting that?

apples to oranges....

600s (inboard) make a shit load of down low torque and have to fight prop slip while they get up to speed not to mention your putting that through a single prop blade in contact with the water while the 300s have to wind up to start making power and have 2 props in contact with the water.

but like you said, it s whatever floats YOUR boat. only so long as were not talking about destroying and ruining a beautiful and otherwise perfect 270 Hallett. its not like this thing has a blown motor or something. Its a perfect running and cosmetically perfect boat as it sits. I would seriously hurt Pat if he ever seriously tried to do this with this boat. my hands have been on it so whether he likes it or not, I have a say now.

shunter2005

Reaction score
but like you said, it s whatever floats YOUR boat. only so long as were not talking about destroying and ruining a beautiful and otherwise perfect 270 Hallett. its not like this thing has a blown motor or something. Its a perfect running and cosmetically perfect boat as it sits. I would seriously hurt Pat if he ever seriously tried to do this with this boat. my hands have been on it so whether he likes it or not, I have a say now.
🚤🚤o_Oo_O

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I love the idea. @Outdrive1 had an older one for sale on here maybe 9 months ago with twins. I would ask him for the owners number. Talk to someone who's done it.

Not sure I would do it to a boat as nice as yours.... Might be better to go buy a new one from Nordic special built. Or make lavey break out the 2750 mold.

hallett21

Reaction score
Has anyone priced a 270 or 290 recently with a 540 or 600? MCOB. Curious what the going rate is.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Has anyone priced a 270 or 290 recently with a 540 or 600? MCOB. Curious what the going rate is.
Too much and a long ass wait time. 290 With a 540 Jr said 205k. Have it sometime in 2023 hahaha

hallett21

Reaction score
Too much and a long ass wait time. 290 With a 540 Jr said 205k. Have it sometime in 2023 hahaha
Jesus. Replace that with 600 and it seems fair. I know demand is there so I can’t fault them.

This was from Nordic or Barron?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Jesus. Replace that with 600 and it seems fair. I know demand is there so I can’t fault them.

This was from Nordic or Barron?
Nordic. Yeah with demand and cost to produce it is understandable. Right before Hallett sold in 2016 Jerry quoted me 146k for a 290 with a 600.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I would seriously hurt Pat if he ever seriously tried to do this with this boat. my hands have been on it so whether he likes it or not, I have a say now.
He just left the house about 30 min ago. We had a long chat about the conversion and he has decided that he wants to go for it while also going green. Instead of boring ICE Mercury's he wants to go electric! 🤣😅😅😅 JK Nice chatting with you @shunter2005 , safe travels back to Houston.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Personally I would do it with twin 300’s.. I would abandon any idea of the porta products.. I’d go with the sea star hydraulic jack llates if you can get them and I’d do the 4.5 inch setbacks to get them as close to the transom as possible.

Your gonna be into this thing a cubic truck ton of money when you are done..

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Personally I would do it with twin 300’s.. I would abandon any idea of the porta products.. I’d go with the sea star hydraulic jack llates if you can get them and I’d do the 4.5 inch setbacks to get them as close to the transom as possible.

stop encouraging him!

😨

GregG

Reaction score

4.5 inch setback on a 27 foot I/O Dave? Where is the math on that thought lol. Agree on the cubic yards of $

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
4.5 inch setback on a 27 foot I/O Dave? Where is the math on that thought lol. Agree on the cubic yards of $

What do you figure the gain is by setting 1000+ lbs 20 inches off the transom is?

Most the high performance cats are actually trying to bring the motors closer to the transom in modern setups instead of further away.

Granted this is a vee, but I’m not sure what’s to gain by hanging it out that far?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
What do you figure the gain is by setting 1000+ lbs 20 inches off the transom is?

Most the high performance cats are actually trying to bring the motors closer to the transom in modern setups instead of further away.

Granted this is a vee, but I’m not sure what’s to gain by hanging it out that far?

the operating theory is that by placing them further off the back of the transom, you can raise the x dimension to reduce drag and go faster. theres a lot less aeration of the props going on behind a vhull vs a cat so the props are getting cleaner water. I believe the operating standard is 1/2" of altitude for every additional 6" off the back of the transom.

Last edited:

braindead

Reaction score
the operating theory is that by placing them further off the back of the transom, you can raise the x dimension to reduce drag and go faster. theres a lot less aeration of the props going on behind a vhull vs a cat so the props are getting cleaner water. I believe the operating standard is 1/2" of altitude for every additional 6" off the back of the transom.

that’s a lot of transom work to hang that much weight that far back!

hallett21

Reaction score
Is that assuming you don’t have jackplates? I get the cleaner water for the props but driveshaft height could be adjusted on the jackplates.

As these motors get heavier it seems like you’d want to bring them in closer to the hull.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That has kinda been the theory forever.. In reality though the water isn’t any cleaner further away from the boat then it is at the keel. The ole theory was you can run a higher x the further back you go..

I think the reality of it is they were originally seeing gains because as others have said they weee laying up lighter weight boats snd putting that much weight that far back they were able to leverage them harder..

Most the new outboards are considerably heavier than the old two strokes..

In looking at the trends the newer more tech orientated guys are sticking them much closer to the transom then the more traditional guys..

For example if you look at some center consoles they will bolt a giant platform to the transom that sets them back 18-24 even more.. but if you look at the newer high end ones the outboards are right on the transom sometimes with manual
Jackplates sometimes right on the transoms and occasionally with hydraulics.

I am not a know it all by any means, but when I reason it out in my head I think you’d be better off as close to the transom as possible in “most” situations with modern outboards.. especially on something like a 270 where the transom isn’t going to have knees built into it etc to help deal with the leverage.

The cool thing about outboards though is the ability to adjust X and trim.. you can pretty much put them anywhere and make the boat run “well.”

It may not be the “best” but well is good enough..

To make a boat “balanced” though? Now your setback is going to start coming into play.

I have driven a lot of 270’s both singles and twins..

If I was running twins on a 270 I don’t think I’d be hanging them out that far. A single engine I/O 270 is a nice running boat. Two outboards is gonna be similar to one big block, abd you just moved all the weight three feet back at a minimum..

My .02.

I could be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time.. lol

RD

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Is that assuming you don’t have jackplates? I get the cleaner water for the props but driveshaft height could be adjusted on the jackplates.

As these motors get heavier it seems like you’d want to bring them in closer to the hull.

jack plates are a wonderful thing. you can adjust your x dimension on the fly and really fine tune the drove/props contact with the water for any condition.

as the engines get heavier you should just consider an IO 😉

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That has kinda been the theory forever.. In reality though the water isn’t any cleaner further away from the boat then it is at the keel. The ole theory was you can run a higher x the further back you go..

I think the reality of it is they were originally seeing gains because as others have said they weee laying up lighter weight boats snd putting that much weight that far back they were able to leverage them harder..

Most the new outboards are considerably heavier than the old two strokes..

In looking at the trends the newer more tech orientated guys are sticking them much closer to the transom then the more traditional guys..

For example if you look at some center consoles they will bolt a giant platform to the transom that sets them back 18-24 even more.. but if you look at the newer high end ones the outboards are right on the transom sometimes with manual
Jackplates sometimes right on the transoms and occasionally with hydraulics.

I am not a know it all by any means, but when I reason it out in my head I think you’d be better off as close to the transom as possible in “most” situations with modern outboards.. especially on something like a 270 where the transom isn’t going to have knees built into it etc to help deal with the leverage.

My .02.

I could be wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time.. lol

RD

I've been accused of being pig headed and too old school more than once. 🤣 to that regard, the best way as far as economics to do this conversion (if I were to let Pat do it) would be to use a structural swim platform extension with the outboard mounts built into it and use jack plates. they make the conversion easy, the motors get hung off the back by about 18" and it can be tuned easily without multiple re rigs to find the sweet spot.

hallett21

Reaction score
jack plates are a wonderful thing. you can adjust your x dimension on the fly and really fine tune the drove/props contact with the water for any condition.

as the engines get heavier you should just consider an IO 😉
I made a lot of statements above that no one bothered to refute lol 😁😉

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've been accused of being pig headed and too old school more than once. 🤣 to that regard, the best way as far as economics to do this conversion (if I were to let Pat do it) would be to use a structural swim platform extension with the outboard mounts built into it and use jack plates. they make the conversion easy, the motors get hung off the back by about 18" and it can be tuned easily without multiple re rigs to find the sweet spot.

I’d do the same thing but without the platform and jackplates, in particular short ones. Lol

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
There is a guy that has a summer house here in Boulder City that has an older 27 with twin 2.5's or something on it. Been running it for years but i never see him up here or on the lake that much anymore. Cant remember his name but @Racey might. I did the remodel on his house when i was like 25, he'd come up with his family and go boating while we worked and his daughter was beautiful. Thats all I remember. lol