WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

hallett crashed at mead sun...

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I believe they are pretty cheap. Next time you have your boat serviced, take it back to the mfg, and see if they will retrofit one for free?

Why would they do it for free?? It's def worth askin but I can't imagine gettin it done for free. My tub is 4 years old :p. Imma haf to eat this one.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Why would they do it for free?? It's def worth askin but I can't imagine gettin it done for free. My tub is 4 years old :p. Imma haf to eat this one.

Hit up Danny (DCM) he can put one in for you easy enough. He will be putting one in my boat here at the end of the season.. (For different reasons)

RD

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Hit up Danny (DCM) he can put one in for you easy enough. He will be putting one in my boat here at the end of the season.. (For different reasons)

RD

Good idea. Prob is imma have to drag my shit back from Parker. Not feelin that (right now) :p. Wonder if this is somethin tim could handle if I brought him the parts.

JBS

Reaction score
Good idea. Prob is imma have to drag my shit back from Parker. Not feelin that (right now) :p. Wonder if this is somethin tim could handle if I brought him the parts.

Andrew, Tim can handle this for sure.:thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Oh man, I know how you feel but reality is different. A friend of mine with a Top Gun was at a poker run recently here on the east coast. He and a couple friends went out for a spin on Friday. Running along... a jet ski ahead of them decided to do a u-turn right in front of them. :swear

They ran over him.

Think about jumping into water that is boiling with blood. Both props had hit him- tore him up pretty good. Haven't heard if he lost his right arm or not- I'd say he is lucky to be alive. Turns out he hadn't had the pwc very long- just a few weeks. My buddy was really freaked out, I don't think he's over it yet, maybe never.

The answer is probably some sort of mandatory school like a motorcycle drivers license if you are gonna operate one of those things.

that f'n sucks. i hope your pal makes it back out on the water. sucks to have your life ruined by some ingnorant kid.

mbrown2

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder how fast this guy was going in the narrowest part of the narrows. I also think there should be bouys to slow people down in areas like that for situations like this. It's took a big fatal at devils elbow for buoys to go up why is that. There are many areas that rate bouys for saftey on every recreational boating lake. Some one needs to spend a couple of bucks and do something like that. Shit one weekend of unnessicary PD overtime would prob buy the bouys needed.

I don't think bouys are the answer...you could bouy the whole dam parker strip if you were just basing it off speed and narrowness...I don't believe that is the answer.

The jet ski driver was an idiot and you cannot legislate against idiocacy.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Tim can handle it for you as well. :)

RD

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
If crap like this keeps happening, and it will, the insurance compaines will jump in with their answer and jack the rates on the PWC's through the roof. It is simply economics to them, the more crashes these things cause the more money they pay out the more they are going to charge.
And the insurance industry has huge pull with the legislatures, if they think more law will decrease their costs you can bet they will be lobbying their 'connections" for whatever they can get.
Like I've said, idiots with access to cheap money has put morons on the water who should not be there, and these folks are paying the freight for that.
Damn shame.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The jet ski driver was an idiot and you cannot legislate against idiocacy.

Actually protected for the most part.:thumbsdown

One of our Echo crew from back in the day hit a stand up jet skier (when they first came out early 80's) and was found guilty by a Jury of negligence because he did not beach his boat onto Riverland to avoid the jet skiers evasive maneuver.

He was asked could you have avoided him, by beaching the boat he said.

Done.

SuperDave013

Reaction score
Sad to hear for sure. Me personally I'd have ran the jetski over. It's like swerving for an animal in the street. U just don't do it. Hit it then deal with it after. I can't help but wonder how fast this guy was going in the narrowest part of the narrows. I also think there should be bouys to slow people down in areas like that for situations like this. It's took a big fatal at devils elbow for buoys to go up why is that. There are many areas that rate bouys for saftey on every recreational boating lake. Some one needs to spend a couple of bucks and do something like that. Shit one weekend of unnessicary PD overtime would prob buy the bouys needed.

Well I was in a 24' American Offshore cat that was struck by a PWC with 2 people on it. It was ugly to say the least. The driver would have ditched the boat if he could have. I would have too. Put it this way, I've dealt with it after and it just don't compare to hitting a animal in the street. BTW, the PWC (driven by a 14 year old) t boned the side of the boat but his insurance still kicked down big bucks. I never did understand that one.

Faceaz

Reaction score
Requiring licenses / education for PWC's would be a huge step in eliminating boating as a whole.. by yet giving the government more control of our ever dieing hobby. You mentioned taxing to death.. What do you think will happen the instant you are required to have a piece of paper to drive one.. It won't stop with PWC's either.. If you think you can trust the government to do anything part way or correctly, you're mistaken.

RD

I don't see the requirement for a Drivers License eliminating cars. I think there should be a training requirement & would be great if it could be done privately. But, the problem is only the government can mandate it.

Everything in Ca. is just way too complicated. I took a Boating Safety Course as result of a ticket in AZ. Like Drivers Ed for cars. The course was funded by the entry fee & reasonable. The requirement of such course might cut down on the Lake Lice out there. I'm sure a certain percentage would rather just not be hassled with it & just stay home.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
SHIT, I STILL RAISE MY HAND WHEN PASSING BOATS WITH RED FLAGS, OR EVEN IF I SEE A PERSON IN THE WATER! EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

Still, glad everyone is O.K.

I practically wear out my arm doing this when I go out these days.
Doesn't seem to be appreciated anymore, and makes me feel even older than I am, and when Im out with newbies I get questioned as to what Im doing- seems pretty self explanatory to me, but then courtesy seems to be rare anymore.

As for the lice, Ill back off or speed up-defensively- but hard swerves aren't the norm anymore- not happening. Ill go around someone, but I wont jack the wheel for an avoidance with lice.

10-15 years ago there just weren't as many people out on the lakes/rivers and you could risk a blind swerve- no more.

My fear is exactly what I see in these picts- the driver endangered himself and his crew to "save" another guy from himself.

This is a matter of the people that trust me to take care of them vs a douchebag with no regard for himself or us.

The people whose kids are riding with me, and those close to me count on me making the right vote when "captain left turn" shows up to the party

I vote me/us, and the ski and maybe its driver end up on the bottom of the lake.

Sucks, but it is what it is at that stage.

Uncle Dave

Kyote

Semper Fi Member
Reaction score
My boat did not come with a lanyard for whatever reason. Anybody know what it would take to equip my boat with one aftermarket? Cost/time?

We have a 'not so fast' 22' Schiada Whaler. We intalled a kill switch and a lanyard. Our sons 21' Schiada has a kill switch and lanyard. The installation is easy and relatively inexpensive. It is possible for a driver to be tossed out of a boat under several circumstances. I know from experience as it happened to me. My boat was dead in the water a few feet away thanks to the lanyard & kill switch. A loose boat under power is not a good thing. Install the kill switch and use the lanyard it is a good piece of your safety equipment.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Nate over at Parker Power Sports could do it easily. He even picks up and delivers, Nate rules!

:thumbsup

hawkes24

this ***** sux
Reaction score
my question is how are they gonna get that thing back to dock? im sure its leaking crap in the water too is the owner reposnsible for the enviormental cleanup too?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
my question is how are they gonna get that thing back to dock? im sure its leaking crap in the water too is the owner reposnsible for the enviormental cleanup too?

They are sending a barge for it, if it did leak anything it would probably be just the gas, which there is no way to cleanup after this much time, it's long gone by now if it was leaking.... So there is no one to pay for the 'cleanup' since there is no cleaning up to do. The insurance company will pay for the recovery of the vessel, the recovery agency may charge some type of enviroment fee, even though they won't be doing anything except dragging the boat onto the barge.

OGCroz

Reaction score
I agree 99% of all PWC riders suck!! But that 1 % usually on a stand up jetski are very cautious.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I agree 99% of all PWC riders suck!! But that 1 % usually on a stand up jetski are very cautious.

Well well well....look who decided to join RDP! Welcome Greg!! Tell the Armstrong crew I said hello....:D

work2ski

Reaction score
My boat did not come with a lanyard for whatever reason. Anybody know what it would take to equip my boat with one aftermarket? Cost/time?

I installed a kill switch in my boat last week. It was extremely easy. I bought it at West Marine. It has 2 wires, i spliced it in to the ignition switch after the key. I was done in less than an hour, including mounting it!

funkcity

Reaction score
And Gelcoaters boat no less!

We're up at Lake San Antonio right now and although traffic is light during the week there are still PWCs moving too close for comfort.
I told al lmy passengers that their eyes are important too.
Don't assume the driver...me or my wife or son sees what they see.

I recall a Hallett 36 up against the rocks there a few years back.

It seems step bottom boats as efficient as they are might not be the best choice for quick evasive maneuvers ?

In order to get NMMA certification companies like Malibu must include a kill switch and lanyard....and they can't/don't exceed 46 MPH!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I don't see the requirement for a Drivers License eliminating cars. I think there should be a training requirement & would be great if it could be done privately. But, the problem is only the government can mandate it.

Everything in Ca. is just way too complicated. I took a Boating Safety Course as result of a ticket in AZ. Like Drivers Ed for cars. The course was funded by the entry fee & reasonable. The requirement of such course might cut down on the Lake Lice out there. I'm sure a certain percentage would rather just not be hassled with it & just stay home.

In our society, cars are an everyday neccesity, boats are not. And a piece of plastic in your pocket doesn't make you a good driver. Start putting restrictions on who can and can't operate them through a licensing scheme and recreational boating will be dead (or at best greatly diminished) within a generation. Coming from an aviation perspective, oversite and regulations quickly drain the fun out of some things and drive up the costs.

For starters, think of the bueacracy that will spring up around that requirement, who's going to pay for it?

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
And Gelcoaters boat no less!

We're up at Lake San Antonio right now and although traffic is light during the week there are still PWCs moving too close for comfort.
I told al lmy passengers that their eyes are important too.
Don't assume the driver...me or my wife or son sees what they see.

I recall a Hallett 36 up against the rocks there a few years back.

It seems step bottom boats as efficient as they are might not be the best choice for quick evasive maneuvers ?

In order to get NMMA certification companies like Malibu must include a kill switch and lanyard....and they can't/don't exceed 46 MPH!
umm?no,not my boat.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
If crap like this keeps happening, and it will, the insurance compaines will jump in with their answer and jack the rates on the PWC's through the roof. It is simply economics to them, the more crashes these things cause the more money they pay out the more they are going to charge.
And the insurance industry has huge pull with the legislatures, if they think more law will decrease their costs you can bet they will be lobbying their 'connections" for whatever they can get.
Like I've said, idiots with access to cheap money has put morons on the water who should not be there, and these folks are paying the freight for that.
Damn shame.

The problem is the PWC rider's insurance would not be affected as he fled the scene. The boat owner's insurance is the one that would go up (as will all of ours). As in a lot of cases, the driver that caused the accident is not involved.

I wonder how many boat accidents are caused by PWC's but are not recorded as such because the PWC was not directly involved?

It's too bad someone couldn't have given chase and caught the PWC driver. Even if they had I wonder if LE would have charged them?

I think I'm going to install one of these on my boat and blast the focker when ever a PWC comes near me!:D:thumbsup

[video=youtube;BGYcnYLK_50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYcnYLK_50[/video]

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
I think i'd rather deal with PWC's than listen to you blasting that all day up and down the river.

Yes very annoying when they don't know when to STOP!!!
Some:bang: has one at our river spot on that thing anytime day or night:swear

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I'd like to see the recovery operation. I'm interested to know how they are going to drag that boat off the rocks and how they are going to keep it from going down before they secure it to a barge or get air bags under it.

There was a big SeaRay, maybe 40+ feet or so at Lake Pleasant. The owner had been thrown out of the marina for non payment and they were trying to reposess his boat. So the guy took the boat and rammed it up on island out in the middle of the lake. The state finally had it removed. We just happened to be at the ramp when they brought it in. The whole airbag deal is pretty amazing. They also had trash pumps in it trying to keep it from being swamped I guess. Interesting to watch for sure.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Chili I agree with your point,; we'll all take it in the shorts, but when the bean counters and risk managers start zeroing in and they see the payouts start going against the PWC policies, things will shift focus.
We all pay a premium for Hit and Run, but not all of the little pricks get away, and the ones that get caught will pay.
The civil liability for mulitiple injury or death cases is enormous.
My wife has 20 + years with a national insurance firm, and she says their underwriters and risk evaluation folks are eyeballing this stuff right now.
It is all about the money.

-I know a guy with the locomotive horns on his truck. I cannot imagine the blast across a lake.
Maybe just a dozen of those horn in a can things for a weekend would be fun.

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Picture of the boat from the bow

The rocks are so steep there i'm surprised it faired this well.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 376

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Picture of the boat from the bow

The rocks are so steep there i'm surprised it faired this well.

Holy shit. I didn't realize it was this bad.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Those rocks are pretty much straight up and down. I'm surprised someone was able to scale their way up there to get a picture.

RD

swtd

Reaction score
Why would someone post that on Craigslist? :hmm
Smart!!! put out information about a bad incident like this situation to a public sight or forum like pb craigslist other boat forums this info will get noticed. big loss! someone will hopefully speak out! thank god the people are okay. we do east side mead (Meadview) and hate to hear this kind of info.

Enen

Reaction score
I guess its a good thing no one was onboard when it hit the rocks.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
That is just crazy. Thank God no one was aboard when it went up there.

hawkes24

this ***** sux
Reaction score
anyone noticed how it looks like the last picture that was posted by racey that the front of the hallett looks like it was peeled back after the fact of crashing onto the rocks???