WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett - Teak

Spot

Reaction score
RDP,
Can some of you share your care and maintenance tips for the Hallett teak deck?
Thanks

Hammer

Reaction score
Wipe it down, maybe vacuum it real well. Lay down even coats of teak oil every season or two with a rag.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
My Hallett doesn't have a Teak cockpit sole, but I've been around enough boats that have had more teak than hallett has ever thought of using to know a thing or 2...

Unless the teak is severely sun-damaged and you plan on doing a complete refinish, don't sand a it, you'll lose the non-slip quality. Hallett uses a veneer teak vs traditional teak planking. So depending on now thick the veneer is, you could do some major damage in quick order.

Unless the teak is severely sun-damaged and you plan on doing a complete refinish, use low water pressure, and a medium stiff brush. High pressure can cause the wood to splinter and removes the natural oils.

Oil a little as possible and when/if you do... Oil lightly. Teak is a naturally oily wood and over oiling will cause the additional oil not to fully absorb, which can transfer onto feet/shoes, clothing, carpets, and upholstery.

Don't use abrasive cleaning chemicals on teak. The family daycruiser had teak swim steps, I used diluted SimpleGreen and a medium stiff brush to get the exhaust soot off them. There are guys who use SG religiously, and there are guys who swear that SG will bleach (lighten) the natural color, and perpetuate staining.

I would clean/oil the swim steps on the big daycruiser every other year, and have always used

starbrite_logo.png Products

Spot

Reaction score
My Hallett doesn't have a Teak cockpit sole, but I've been around enough boats that have had more teak than hallett has ever thought of using to know a thing or 2...

Unless the teak is severely sun-damaged and you plan on doing a complete refinish, don't sand a it, you'll lose the non-slip quality. Hallett uses a veneer teak vs traditional teak planking. So depending on now thick the veneer is, you could do some major damage in quick order.

Unless the teak is severely sun-damaged and you plan on doing a complete refinish, use low water pressure, and a medium stiff brush. High pressure can cause the wood to splinter and removes the natural oils.

Oil a little as possible and when/if you do... Oil lightly. Teak is a naturally oily wood and over oiling will cause the additional oil not to fully absorb, which can transfer onto feet/shoes, clothing, carpets, and upholstery.

Don't use abrasive cleaning chemicals on teak. The family daycruiser had teak swim steps, I used diluted SimpleGreen and a medium stiff brush to get the exhaust soot off them. There are guys who use SG religiously, and there are guys who swear that SG will bleach (lighten) the natural color, and perpetuate staining.

I would clean/oil the swim steps on the big daycruiser every other year, and have always used

View attachment 478303 Products

Thanks, a lot of good info in there. The teak is in great condition, I just want to maintain it properly.

TexasJet

Reaction score
I use the three Starbrite products on my swim platform. First, power wash it. Next, Teak Cleaner, Teak Brightener and finally Teak Oil. Usually takes 3 coats of oil. 2 to 3 hours between coats. Comes out awesome!!!uh I

Attachments

• tmp_11292-0318171651781285652.jpg
    tmp_11292-0318171651781285652.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 169

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I used the Watco last season. Always seemed a little tacky to the touch after.

240Hallett

Reaction score
I did mine Saturday morning and when I left Sunday mid-day it was still a little tacky. When I get back out there a few weeks it will be fine, ready to go.