WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ham Radio

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Curious if there are any members that hold a amateur license? Im not a very active operator, but I do geek out once in awhile and get in and out of the hobby. I have been enjoying the DMR stuff and learning about it recently.

K6FTW

sintax

Reaction score
yup, I grabbed a tech license a long while back, mainly for offroad use of handhelds.

KJ6ONX

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Had a neighbor that was into it. No way to watch tv when he would broadcast, garbled audio & video on every TV.
I had a cb that I could send/receive to europe when conditions were perfect, usually middle of the night when local transmissions were virtually zero. Odd phenomena that I discovered by accident.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Guy we bought out travel trailer was into it. Left some stuff on the trailer but I don’t know what it is.

troostr

GOT MILK?
Reaction score
KEI5AY (Rich) is my head mechanic at the dairy. Nice to have some equipment out here in case shit hits the fan. He's got everything from tube type to the newest stuff. He participates in all sorts of "events".

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a license.

Sent Using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
KEI5AY (Rich) is my head mechanic at the dairy. Nice to have some equipment out here in case shit hits the fan. He's got everything from tube type to the newest stuff. He participates in all sorts of "events".

ya, theres all sorts of contests and events these guys do. Its pretty cool to listen in on them and see it all go down.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yes I have my HAM... Main reason was 20 years ago pre cell service in Mexico. I had a land based mobile at my house in Baja and I could hit a repeater on telegraph hill in Yuma. That repeater was part of the link from San Diego to Phoenix. I was able to talk to my wife who was/is a HAM that way some 20 years ago before Cell service was good.

I still carry a Baofeng handheld at Lake Powell to hit the HAM station on the top of Navajo Mountain. That opens a link to both southern Utah and the RIM link in AZ... in case of an emergency. I never hear much on that repeater, but in one of my trucks I still have a mobile rig and it will crack open the repeater when I key it recently.

I may or may not have a wildcat cross band repeater setup in mexico that hits the pass out of Valley T, through La Ventana to Mexicali...

Vector

Reaction score
K9DCA. Got my license in 2017 but just recently have been using it quit a bit. I work on a repeater on Sunset Ridge sometimes.

Nordie

Reaction score
KG7KNE

I usually work UHF in 440 range also on DMR, and mess around on GMRS. Don't really mess around on VHF very often.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
KK6VIU Here. Had my lic for maybe 10 years and get on the wed night ham meet in Havasu now and again. I got the license for Jeeping the Rubicon and deep desert spots.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I was a CB geek in the '60s and early '70s. That radio experience let me use the HAM, equipment when the Coast Guard Ice Breaker I was on did phone patches and other comms from the Ice. The only time we could do it, without a full blown Amateur License holder, was above the 60th Parallel North and below the 60th Parallel South. There were about 6 of us on the ship that rotated doing it, so the home and love sick sailors could call their mommies and/or (X) girlfriends.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
My dad was big time into it, KC7T. I think he had some high level license or something to get that short call sign. Then my mom got hers so she could talk to friends in Japan as phone was expensive back then, N7ELN.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Currently studying for it. There’s an app, HRE tech, that is a test study guide. Also a book that is very good.

Nordie

Reaction score
My dad was big time into it, KC7T. I think he had some high level license or something to get that short call sign. Then my mom got hers so she could talk to friends in Japan as phone was expensive back then, N7ELN.

That's working HF, means he was an Amateur Extra

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a license.

Sent Using Tapatalk
it is worth the effort, I like the tech aspect of the radio and figuring the systems and how they are engineered, learning is never ending if you like to tinker.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I have a few that I'd like to get programmed to local channels for emergency use or if the shit hits the fan.

Any shops in the Chino / IE area that anyone know of?

Thank you
FT

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Not ham but looking into a cb Radio in my truck I drive so much it would be nice if need to take frontage roads or dirt 😎😉

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I have a few that I'd like to get programmed to local channels for emergency use or if the shit hits the fan.

Any shops in the Chino / IE area that anyone know of?

Thank you
FT
Closest place to start that I know would be Ham Radio Outlet in Anaheim