C4F514D4-3593-4FEB-A74B-E0BA6DCD2029.jpeg
3581FC3E-7E5D-4274-AA62-99D1E3DD851A.jpeg
FD18E974-ABFB-40DF-A3A2-0E55851D2820.jpeg
9E163F47-8192-4E9A-887F-8D396B7B66FA.jpeg
165FA822-BC99-4199-8778-D4530C265B56.jpeg
5CEFE0E4-12F5-40A1-90C8-4DFF8F1A1864.jpeg

Duramax

Reaction score
What a great place. How big is your Vector? Smaller boats like my 21 Daytona would be ok?

Hammer

Reaction score
My boy passed out!
BA85D6C8-45BF-4BD9-A3BF-BC588A865277.jpeg

Logan got up first try on the wakeboard. We will keep trying on the waterski! EDIT- that’s my niece.

A4B9B145-950C-436C-B51A-D232E96148F1.jpeg

B8542AEC-C6B5-4278-AC31-489957B4C747.jpeg

We didn’t go anywhere today, hung by the house and my SIL came to visit . She lives in Bernal Heights(San Francisco area)

Spent some time looking at real estate in Disco Bay. Might be cool to have a place up here. Being on the water makes it really tempting. It’s expensive though.

Last edited:

KingofBeers

Reaction score
The Delta and a few of our friends that still live there are literally the only thing I miss about CA. If I could have made it work financially to buy a spot on the water in Disco I probably would have. The Delta is awesome.

There is a secret island oasis right off the San Joaquin that is very small at high tide near the ashes of Moores Riverboat...
20200801_123505.jpg
20200801_141336.jpg

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
The Delta and a few of our friends that still live there are literally the only thing I miss about CA. If I could have made it work financially to buy a spot on the water in Disco I probably would have. The Delta is awesome.

There is a secret island oasis right off the San Joaquin that is very small at high tide near the ashes of Moores Riverboat... View attachment 1141078 View attachment 1141079

Hambone, find this island this week with your 2 boats & u will b there all day. Right where Mokelumne meets SJR

OC Mike

Reaction score
Really enjoying the thread. Thanks for sharing.
For the uninformed ones like me, what is DLB?

707dog

Reaction score
Is Hookie day still an organized deal? It's hard to tell since DLB seems to only be on facebook these days. And I don't do facebook.
Its the most organized group of unorganized boaters that will ruin life and make your life a happy place all in one day🤣 On Facebook seems to be the only place use use to be on performance boats but no clue.

This year will be 17th year going for hookie day

Ricks raft

Reaction score
After you started this thread I started looking at campgrounds in the area and I came across that Tower Park. It looks like an awesome place to stay with the family. TONS of stuff to do.

A bit of stuff for the kids to do but really expensive, at least for us average folks. If I remember correctly some of the RV sites are $165 a night. Some of the other places like Turner cut are $45 a night

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Hello Hammer;

I live near Walnut Grove. You didn't miss anything with Wimpie's. Some of the worst food in the delta. No joke. Some of the best burnt down a year ago and was a mile away - Juicties (wrong spelling - I know.) was great and had real local atmosphere. Looks like you are having a great time and seeing the highlights.

The last week or two have been totally itching to be on the water. I sold my boat last summer to someone who paid silly money for it. I think something needs to follow in the near future. Too many good times out there so close by.

Enjoy!
Assume since you're local you've been there recently. Apparently newer owners. went there over the 4th, average to above average food, really cheap drinks,(5 cocktails, 4 Shirley temples, $30. They were fairly busy and ran out of propane for the grill so we missed one of our orders, they comped us 50% of the tab and that was for 10 people. I'll go back and give it another try.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A bit of stuff for the kids to do but really expensive, at least for us average folks. If I remember correctly some of the RV sites are $165 a night. Some of the other places like Turner cut are $45 a night
Yeah, that does look a bit pricey. Guess you just have to weigh how valuable the included amenities are.

4Waters

Reaction score
Thanks..At first I thought it was a typo for DCB....
But then again, i went about 4 years before I figured out 'Hey LAM' wasn't a person.
Carry on......
It's not?🤣

Hammer

Reaction score
Its the most organized group of unorganized boaters that will ruin life and make your life a happy place all in one day🤣 On Facebook seems to be the only place use use to be on performance boats but no clue.

This year will be 17th year going for hookie day
Hookie Day is the best time!

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Hammer, are you gonna be there tomorrow?

There is a poker run tomorrow. See Unleashed poker run.

Not sure if I am gonna make it yet but I will do the short course if I do.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hammer, are you gonna be there tomorrow?

There is a poker run tomorrow. See Unleashed poker run.

Not sure if I am gonna make it yet but I will do the short course if I do.
No, unfortunately we are headed home today. It would have been fun to hit the poker run.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hambone, find this island this week with your 2 boats & u will b there all day. Right where Mokelumne meets SJR
We will have to check it out next trip. Kids wanted to do the rope swing again last night. I had to show them how it’s done!
B7BB60FE-DC56-4C12-BD06-A0B2FF72AF51.jpeg

The wife took a pic of me coming in after making a run before putting it on the trailer.
4E928E83-2BE0-4A6A-8B7C-CC608F264767.jpeg

Hammer

Reaction score
Did you open it up?
Did you open it up?
Oh ya… I need some seat time to get comfortable with where it likes to be set. It gets an aggressive bow hop if I pull the tabs all the way up, I couldn’t drive through it and it did it all speeds. It doesn’t like hardly ANY trim at all, maybe two taps from all the way in. I just need seat time to find it’s happy place.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Yes, how did the boat run? Are you happy after all of this time?
I saw 90 and I had the tabs down, it was definitely dragging and the hull wasn’t “freed” up. But it was safe and stable enough to stay in it for awhile. I didn’t get a chance to really mess with tab position and trim as I only went out solo at sunset for a bit. It pulls hard and the acceleration is there anytime you want. I’m happy with how it performs for sure, it’s a really fun boat to drive.

I got the typical hand slap and “the look” from the wife when I jumped on it with her and the kids in it. (I was barely going 70.. hadn’t even stood on it yet) 😄😂. I guess that means it runs pretty good.

The 28p I’m running has a little bit of slip in the early RPM range(22-2500 RPM). 30 MPH at 2k RPM was average cruising speed. The motor pulls hard. I saw around 5k when I was running it hard and had more pedal left at some point while I was out, But I was too focused on where I was going(a lot of turns on the delta, plus the sun was kind of setting, causing a glare) and making sure it was safe to get on it and reading the water to pay too much attention on the speed and RPM while playing with trim/tabs.. I could probably jump up to a 30p or a 5 blade.

I can’t help but think about a Whipple set up next. It’s the gear head in me. My dad is the same way. Lol

The tabs have to be down, It’ll bow hop if I don’t, even with the drive all the way down. I don’t have a trim or tab guages as I didn’t know what style I wanted to go with, or if I wanted to run them at all. The dash looks clean the way it is. I don’t want to ruin it with more gauges.

I need solo seat time and to be able to run it hard and find it’s “happy spot”. I think 95 is an attainable number. I just want to get there safely.

After all this time am I happy? I didn’t have to pull a wrench out all week so that made me happy!

Now I’m really looking forward to getting the set up right. That’s the fun part for me. I need to lake tune it again and clean up the idle and it’s got a fat spot around 1800-2200RPM, it’s inconsistent though. I also noticed if the gas pedal is 1/8” open the boat won’t start. There isn’t enough throttle pressure in the spring to keep it closed all the way. I might add a secondary spring, but it has to be light. I like the pressure of the pedal now, I don’t want it any stiffer.

Now the real fun starts. 👍

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
I saw 90 and I had the tabs down, it was definitely dragging and the hull wasn’t “freed” up. But it was safe and stable enough to stay in it for awhile. I didn’t get a chance to really mess with tab position and trim as I only went out solo at sunset for a bit. It pulls hard and the acceleration is there anytime you want. I’m happy with how it performs for sure, it’s a really fun boat to drive.

I got the typical hand slap and “the look” from the wife when I jumped on it with the her and the kids in it. (I was barely going 70.. hadn’t even stood on it yet) 😄😂. I guess that means it runs pretty good.

The 28p I’m running has a little bit of slip in the early RPM range(22-2500 RPM). 30 MPH at 2k RPM was average cruising speed. The motor pulls hard. I saw around 5k when I was running it hard and had more pedal left at some point while I was out, But I was too focused on where I was going(a lot of turns on the delta, plus the sun was kind of setting, causing a glare) and making sure it was safe to get on it and reading the water to pay too much attention on the speed and RPM while playing with trim/tabs.. I probably jump up to a 30p or a 5 blade.

I can’t help but think about a Whipple set up next. It’s the gear head in me. My dad is the same way. Lol

The tabs have to be down, It’ll bow hop if I don’t, even with the drive all the way down. I don’t have a trim or tab guages as I didn’t know what style I wanted to go with, or if I wanted to run them at all. The dash looks clean the way it is. I don’t want to ruin it with more gauges.

I need solo seat time and to be able to run it hard and find it’s “happy spot”. I think 95 is an attainable number. I just want to get there safely.

After all this time am I happy? I didn’t have to pull a wrench out all week so that made me happy!

Now I’m really looking forward to getting the set up right. That’s the fun part for me. Need to lake tune if again and clean up the idle and it’s got a fat spot around 1800-2200RPM, it’s inconsistent though.

Man thats great. A week long trip and didnt have to touch a wrench. Awesome!
90 is damn respectable.

Shady

Reaction score
Awesome thread! Looks like a great trip, something I am going to look in to planning.

Hammer

Reaction score
Man thats great. A week long trip and didnt have to touch a wrench. Awesome!
90 is damn respectable.
To be fair, I cracked a beer and checked the plugs out of nervousness the second night, it was hard to believe it would be running this well the first trip out. They all looked great! 👍🍻

I didn’t go through hardly any fuel either which was plus. I couldn’t believe it.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
To be fair, I cracked a beer and checked the plugs out of nervousness the second night, it was hard to believe it would be running this well the first trip out. They all looked great! 👍🍻

I didn’t go through hardly any fuel either which was plus. I couldn’t believe it.
LOL. thats funny but I totally get it.

Now that its "done" get going on 250R

Hammer

Reaction score
LOL. thats funny but I totally get it.

Now that its "done" get going on 250R
Funny you mention it. The motor is in and ready to go. I had a gear backwards and it wouldn’t shift into neutral. All good now. I Went to put the exhaust on a few weeks ago and screw was snapped off. I’ll have it running and finished in a few months. I need a new carb I’m going to ditch the stock axle, it’s rusted and looks like shit.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
Funny you mention it. The motor is in and ready to go. I had a gear backwards and it wouldn’t shift into neutral. All good now. I Went to put the exhaust on a few weeks ago and screw was snapped off. I’ll have it running and finished in a few months. I need a new carb I’m going to ditch the stock axle rusted and looks like shif.
NIce. sounds like it will be ready to ride this season.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Having just drove over the golden gate that water looked pretty big.. 😳. Lol
That is what is so cool about the Delta, I have only been on it one time but have wanted to go back every year. I remember this first time we cruised out of the little slu we were camping at (Turner Cut) and we hit the San Joaquin and holy chit that's a lot of water... The twists and turns of the delta and all the slu's that roll off this area are just awesome.

lenmann

Reaction score
Great thread @Hammer! I have been following your build for a long time. Not only is it great to see the boat wet, that you are happy with the way it runs, but the awesome family vacation is just the icing on the cake.

Well done sir, thanks for bringing us along.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
The tabs have to be down, It’ll bow hop if I don’t, even with the drive all the way down
Do you have any weight you can shift forward? Say tools and fluids, anything dense, and move things like life jackets or fenders aft. Two things typically contribute to porpoise: weight balance fore and aft and hull shape (rocker). You can fix both with trim and tab, but shifting weight will help you use less tab.

Eddie Morenz taught me this. Some of you will know that name.

hallett21

Reaction score

I got the typical hand slap and “the look” from the wife when I jumped on it with her and the kids in it. (I was barely going 70.. hadn’t even stood on it yet) 😄😂. I guess that means it runs pretty good.

The 28p I’m running has a little bit of slip in the early RPM range(22-2500 RPM). 30 MPH at 2k RPM was average cruising speed. The motor pulls hard. I saw around 5k when I was running it hard and had more pedal left at some point while I was out, But I was too focused on where I was going(a lot of turns on the delta, plus the sun was kind of setting, causing a glare) and making sure it was safe to get on it and reading the water to pay too much attention on the speed and RPM while playing with trim/tabs.. I could probably jump up to a 30p or a 5 blade.

Now I’m really looking forward to getting the set up right. That’s the fun part for me. I need to lake tune it again and clean up the idle and it’s got a fat spot around 1800-2200RPM, it’s inconsistent though. I also noticed if the gas pedal is 1/8” open the boat won’t start. There isn’t enough throttle pressure in the spring to keep it closed all the way. I might add a secondary spring, but it has to be light. I like the pressure of the pedal now, I don’t want it any stiffer.

Ok then….. guess I need to order the 400. Killer numbers!!

How much HP and what gear ratio? You’ve taken this boat for a true journey. I’m just pumped to see you driving it with the family.

Is it safe to say you believe it’s a 90mph “family boat?”

IMO that what it’s all about. Take the kids skiing and put the hurt on people when you can. 😎😎😍

Hammer

Reaction score
Great thread @Hammer! I have been following your build for a long time. Not only is it great to see the boat wet, that you are happy with the way it runs, but the awesome family vacation is just the icing on the cake.

Well done sir, thanks for bringing us along.
Thank you lenmann. I’ve been debating closing up that thread altogether. I will start it back up now that it runs and carry it into set up and gel repairs and into a custom trailer build out.

This thread was more about a family trip in a 21 footer. It can still be done without the need for a 25 foot deck boat, cat, open bow etc…. We are a family of five and had a blast this week. I hope to tow it behind a Motorhome and hit lakes all over the western U.S. I wanted a hot rod that was still family functional. I think we achieved that.

Hammer

Reaction score
NIce. sounds like it will be ready to ride this season.
Definitely. My oldest is ready to ride on his own on long rides, so I’ll take him on rides on the R and the wife little ones can follow in the RZR. I miss being on three wheels. 👍

Hammer

Reaction score
Ok then….. guess I need to order the 400. Killer numbers!!

How much HP and what gear ratio? You’ve taken this boat for a true journey. I’m just pumped to see you driving it with the family.

Is it safe to say you believe it’s a 90mph “family boat?”

IMO that what it’s all about. Take the kids skiing and put the hurt on people when you can. 😎😎😍

565 CI 760HP/780Torque pump gas N/A HOLLEY EFI motor. XR Drive with 1.50 gears.

It doesn’t take much effort to get to 80-85 with full tanks,4 lawn chairs, skis, two full coolers, a few quarts of various oils a full socket set and a full hand tool box l, anchors etc. with 6 people in the boat. My 3 year old was on the wife’s lap or mine with three 11 year old boys across the back.

When I took it out solo, everything was still under the deck.

I’d feel comfortable saying we have a 90mph family ski boat. 👍

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
Do you have any weight you can shift forward? Say tools and fluids, anything dense, and move things like life jackets or fenders aft. Two things typically contribute to porpoise: weight balance fore and aft and hull shape (rocker). You can fix both with trim and tab, but shifting weight will help you use less tab.

I had stuff all over the place, tool boxes, chairs skis and 36 pack cooler. I only had a short window to go make a run without the kids. I’ll do a guys trip with my good friend and we will bring weight, props and mess with set up another time.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

That a staple for the outboard crew. It's all about weight balance. Batteries under the front seats in this case would likely cure most of the issue I'd bet.

Hammer

Reaction score
That a staple for the outboard crew. It's all about weight balance. Batteries under the front seats in this case would likely cure most of the issue I'd bet.
Not an option with my seats, the bases are pedestals and wouldn’t be tall enough. I probably should have gone with a belly tank while it was apart. A few people have vectors with belly tanks and I’ve heard they make a huge difference.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
Thank you lenmann. I’ve been debating closing up that thread altogether. I will start it back up now that it runs and carry it into set up and gel repairs and into a custom trailer build out.

This thread was more about a family trip in a 21 footer. It can still be done without the need for a 25 foot deck boat, cat, open bow etc…. We are a family of five and had a blast this week. I hope to tow it behind a Motorhome and hit lakes all over the western U.S. I wanted a hot rod that was still family functional. I think we achieved that.
Glad you had a fun trip! Looked like an amazing time. I am very intrigued by the Delta area, would love to check it out someday. This trip blog shed alot of light on the area.

Totally agree though, that we need closure on the Hamlett thread over in the resto-forum. Run and Tune report!! Such a bad-ass build, would be fun for us lurkers to see where you are going next now that it is back on the water. Are you planning to have it at HIH to show it off?

vstdispatch

Reaction score
Not an option with my seats, the bases are pedestals and wouldn’t be tall enough. I probably should have gone with a belly tank while it was apart. A few people have vectors with belly tanks and I’ve heard they make a huge difference.

Mine has a belly tank and a -2 shorty and doesnt have any porpoise

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
thanks for the ride, this trip is a bucket list for sure

Hammer

Reaction score
Glad you had a fun trip! Looked like an amazing time. I am very intrigued by the Delta area, would love to check it out someday. This trip blog shed alot of light on the area.

Totally agree though, that we need closure on the Hamlett thread over in the resto-forum. Run and Tune report!! Such a bad-ass build, would be fun for us lurkers to see where you are going next now that it is back on the water. Are you planning to have it at HIH to show it off?
It’ll be at HIH👍