WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hand held gps speedometer

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Anyone use a handheld GPS speedometer? Im looking for a handheld gps speedometer to get me through the season so i can get one installed in the boat im the off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I use my Garmin that I have had for the past 15 years. When we did my shake down run on Elsinore last month I forgot to put batteries in it so my buddy had an app on his phone that had real time GPS speed.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I use my Garmin that I have had for the past 15 years. When we did my shake down run on Elsinore last month I forgot to put batteries in it so my buddy had an app on his phone that had real time GPS speed.

Do you think the phone one is accurate? I tried it and it seemed to lag.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
who really cares how fast you are going,... I mean,... does anybody really know what time it is???

I typically just use the tach and roll but id like to have a reference to speed. But the time doesnt matter.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
What about your garmin? Does it lag?

Only for a second or two at worst. On the lake it usually links up to 20 - 25 satellites. Almost no lag there.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
my google maps GPS has a "MPH" box ......... its true to my truck speedo...

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
PS anything GPS is going to have a little bit of lag. It takes time send and receive the signal from space. If you are looking for close to instant, get a radar gun and point the boat at a standing object then read off of that. Chances are that a newer handheld is going to be more accurate than a GPS speedo.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

All GPS lag. It needs time over distance to figure out how far and fast you went.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Anyone use a handheld GPS speedometer? Im looking for a handheld gps speedometer to get me through the season so i can get one installed in the boat im the off season.

Phone app works great for me. I have an old Garmin you can have if you want.

Justfishing

Reaction score
PS anything GPS is going to have a little bit of lag. It takes time send and receive the signal from space. If you are looking for close to instant, get a radar gun and point the boat at a standing object then read off of that. Chances are that a newer handheld is going to be more accurate than a GPS speedo.
There is no sending involved with gps. The satellites tell the gps where they are at, it is only a send signal. The more satellites it has data from the more percise. From there it is how fast your gps can process. Very little lag with good reception.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
There is no sending involved with gps. The satellites tell the gps where they are at, it is only a send signal. The more satellites it has data from the more percise. From there it is how fast your gps can process. Very little lag with good reception.

Do you think a handheld gps would perform better then an iphone app?

I dont mind the app but really dont want to be fiddling with the phone.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
IMG_20200525_121551030.jpg

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Digital dashboard app works great for speed & tracking where u went & how far etc

gqchris

Reaction score

Its all the same to be honest. I bet your phones GPS is newer than in most older Handhelds.

I mounted this for my passengers in my CanAm. Surprisingly is great! Just so they know how fast we are hitting the whoops at!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Its all the same to be honest. I bet your phones GPS is newer than in most older Handhelds.

I mounted this for my passengers in my CanAm. Surprisingly is great! Just so they know how fast we are hitting the whoops at!

That seems like a good fit. Im not splitting hairs over a mph or 3 and its temporary.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Waze app is pretty good for directions as it factors in traffic speeds and reroutes you. It shows MPH as well, and its free. I assume they are tracking your phone always... Trade Liberty for convenience. Meh.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
You’ve already got a phone...so just download an app (Waze or whatever) and use that.
I lost all my handhelds so I picked up a Dynamite brand speedo/altimeter designed for R/C cars and planes...the refresh rate was slow, every .5 seconds vs every .2 seconds for the real deal, but it worked well enough. The one I got was $50 or so...I think they’re more now. Cool part is you can plug it into a laptop and it plots your path of travel.

Justfishing

Reaction score

Boating for the most part is ideal conditions for gps. Open spaces without buildings, trees etc to block signal. I think a phone or any gps should work.

You have to understand the gps is triangulating the different signals to get your location. Then it has to do it again and again to see your movements and calculate the speed.computers do it really fast. Overall speeds should be accurate and real time.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

My phone app - Speed Box, is quick to respond and shows the exact speed as my Auto Meter GPS Speedo