WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Handmade boots, I had no idea....

wash11

Reaction score
There's a lot of self made, hard working people on RDP- figured at least one of you might appreciate this.

I've got some of the goofiest EEEE wide, high arched feet that have ever walked the earth. I've bought shoes a size too large my entire life just to make it work. It's one of the main reasons I lived in flip flops most of the time. From what I understand, crappy fitting shoes afflict more people than not.

A few years back my life of leisure turned to manual labor and I started appreciating a decent pair of boots. I found several in the $200 range that worked great after breaking in but would blow out in 6 or 8 months.

I'd heard of custom boot makers like Nicks or Whites Boots but the frugal side of me turned away from prices in the high $400 to low $500 range.

At Amy's urging I finally bit the bullet and printed the measuring tools from White's Boots website. There are 10 different measurements for each foot and a surprising variance from the left foot to the right. I picked out a plain Jane pair of farm/ranch boots as the number of options, colors and materials were overwhelming. They wanted the original foot outline mailed along with ordering info so I scratched out a check for $469.00 and sent it off.

A few days later one of the cobblers called to verify what I had put down and said they'd get to work. 4 weeks go by and my new boots showed up complete with 100 hour break in and care instructions.

The attention to detail and quality of materials used are easy to see but the fit is not something I expected. A good comparison is the guy sleeping on a crappy mattress for 15 years and only realizes how bad it was once he gets a new, high quality mattress. There was zero break in period. Zero discomfort, feet are fine after 14 hours in them and the sore lower back I had grown used to has disappeared for good.

Looking back, I feel like a fool for putting this purchase off as long as I did. Spendy? Yes, but for $150 you send them in for a complete rebuild when ready. If you guys are on your feet a lot or just like top quality, custom made stuff- this might be something for you to check out.

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/home

boots.JPG

Heylam

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Whites 23 years ago, and they were around $400 then, so amazing the price hasn’t gone up more. Great boots.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have worn the same model CAT boots for 10 years. They last around a year. Last pair even after break in have been killing my right foot after 12 hours. Nothing I can see or pinpoint but maybe slightly off in size. I have been wearing my shoes lately. Will have to consider a pair to try. Thanks.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Left foot is a size 13D and the right is a 14EE.
I usually buy two pair to make one that fits right.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have mentioned Whites boots on here several times. People just blow them off as too much money. Once someone actually try's them they are sold...... I have a pair that are very similar but a little more "roper" style that I love. What people don't understand is that very few people actually have two identical feet. Whites builds two separate boots not just a mirror image pair. They don't care if you are 3 sizes different, they will fit and fit right. Width and arch support are another thing that post people have all screwed up on their shoes.

I cannot say this enough, get the right fitting shoes.

wash11

Reaction score
I have mentioned Whites boots on here several times. People just blow them off as too much money. Once someone actually try's them they are sold...... I have a pair that are very similar but a little more "roper" style that I love. What people don't understand is that very few people actually have two identical feet. Whites builds two separate boots not just a mirror image pair. They don't care if you are 3 sizes different, they will fit and fit right. Width and arch support are another thing that post people have all screwed up on their shoes.

I cannot say this enough, get the right fitting shoes.

Guilty.

I put it off based on price and the hassle of measuring my feet etc. Easier to swipe my Amazon order for a replacement pair of Ariat Boots that don't fit correctly. Now that I've pulled my head from my ass I realize that I've spent close to $1000 on boots in 5 years that have all been thrown away. Now that White's has my measurements, ordering a different style would be quick and easy.

Shoes that fit correctly are now at the top of my "Simple Pleasures" list. I honestly had no idea what a difference they would make.

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
I have a pair of whites for 20+ years. Best money I ever spent on boots! Completely able to be rebuilt. I still wear them from time to time and have not found anything better for comfort and support when it comes to boots.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
When my parents had their ranch outfitters when I was growing up they were a Whites dealer. Great boots for sure!!

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
My dad is from the Northeast of England, the reputation for being ridiculously cheap is accurate. His guilty pleasure right out of grad school though was custom made shoes for the reason you are describing. That and mattresses he always told me to never go cheap on. Think about it, 23 out of 24 hours a day you are probably relying on one for comfort. I have heeded his advice particularly on the mattress side and noticed a change in energy levels, sleep quality, and general health. When I worked at the car lots my shoes were custom, since I am desk jocky now I don't tend to as much, but if I was in a trade I would definitely go that way. Money well spent.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Kind of like ECCO dress shoes, for years I scoffed at the $300 plus price and bought lessor brands. Finally broke down and bought a pair, FAK, what an idiot I had been, life changing. I went back a few days later and bought two more pairs so I had all colors needed for office stuff.

tkrrox

Reaction score
Where do you go to get your feet properly measured for whites???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

great_escape

Reaction score
I wear Nick's, same operation as Whites. The best money I've ever spent. I wore Redwings for years and they just feel cheap compared to the Nicks/Whites.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
For that price tag, that is extremely reasonable. The red wings I lace up every day are $319 out the door. I'll have to take a look at them In a month or 2 when I'm ready for new ones.

wash11

Reaction score
Where do you go to get your feet properly measured for whites???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We used a cloth tape measure and did it ourselves. Pretty straight forward using the instructions they give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Do they make pull on styles?

Lace ups are not an option for me.

Taboma

Reaction score
Kind of like ECCO dress shoes, for years I scoffed at the $300 plus price and bought lessor brands. Finally broke down and bought a pair, FAK, what an idiot I had been, life changing. I went back a few days later and bought two more pairs so I had all colors needed for office stuff.

I'm so pissed at Ecco :mad: For years I wore and loved the comfort of their work boot. Wasn't a hard core work boot, but one I could wear to meetings looking appropriate, or for job site visits and feel comfortable all day. Then a couple of years ago they changed something with the inner sole mold and there's a ridge line that causes my feet to scream in pain within about a half hour of wearing them. An analogy would be like a grain of sand under your mattress, barely discernible to my fingers, but feels like a curb to my feet. Tried every style of new boot and took them all back for that reason. I've even tried insoles, I still feel it. Had to give up. My wife's having the same problem with new Ugg classics, she's had to go much longer to keep them from killing the tops of her feet. Why do these ass-clowns have to change those things that doesn't need changing, just for the purpose of changing ??? :mad:

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I have been wearing Whites and Wesco's for 30 years. Nothing compares. Even their pull-ons outside of work are amazing.

wash11

Reaction score
It's been a bit over 2 years of daily wear on these boots. Other than flip flops, I don't have any other shoes. The leather is nice and soft with no wear patterns or weak spots. The soles are showing wear but not completely scuffed off. I'm still on the original laces they came with as well. I can't remember being more impressed with a purchase in my life. Ever.

89868951_10220176946121105_5274206834327027712_o.jpg

brownsuger

Reaction score
First, I totally misread the title to this thread I thought it said "Boats" and I was like... Cool...

Having said that, I have been searching for a good pair of boots for literally 40 years.... I wear mine 7 days a week, and I am going to check them out now... Thanks

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70's when I was on the hot shots we wore Whites......best boot made IMHO. Lots of wildland firefighters still wear them. I'm told Nicks are just as good as they (the owner) worked at Whites

sintax

Reaction score
I have a pair of whites for 20+ years. Best money I ever spent on boots! Completely able to be rebuilt. I still wear them from time to time and have not found anything better for comfort and support when it comes to boots.

Its funny how well a pair of quality boots can last. I never quite understood coming from a tennis / skate shoe world. I bout my first pair of Redwing Heritage maybe 8 years ago and they are still going strong. I have not even had to resole the original yet since I grabbed a second pair, in a different style. Give the leather some love twice a year and they look brand new.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I had Redwings for years. Till they decided Not to warranty a pair of their shoes.

Been buying cheap boots and tossing them every couple of years ever since.

Sounds like it's time for a change of habits. Thanks Joel!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I wear Redwings, have for the past 20yrs. I get roughly 2 years out of a set now, a year when I was roofing. I wear them pretty much unless I'm on the water. A wildland guy told me about White's a few years ago. I may look into them. Getting about that time, and Redwing discontinued my model :mad:

Nordie

Reaction score
I had to look into these, I also have the stupid wide, but extremely flat feet. Down the road I might have to look more into this. Only downfall I have noticed is there are not a ton of choices in a wedged sole. I tie rebar for a living and having a heel is almost a guarantee for falling on a rebar mat.

Danner Boots has been what I have been using for the past couple of years. The White boots look awesome, and will eventually try.