WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hanger Steak

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
So a couple of months ago a buddy took me to the Black Horse Tavern in Norco to try a hanger steak. On Thursday's they are 13$ and boy was it great. Tender and tasty. I think they put a teriyaki or soy type of marinade and it was delicious. I've been barbequing meat for a long time but had never bought or seen that cut at the butcher. This had me thinking so I took a troll to Hottinger Meats in Chino and sure enough he told me they carried them but they were frozen. He asked how many I wanted and not being too sure about what size they were I just said four thinking that would be enough for a dinner. He came back with three and told me that was all he had. I bought them and took them home.
Hanger 2.jpg
Hanger 1.jpg

Hanger 3.jpg

We just happen to be going camping at the beach and I was real anxious to try one. I defrosted a couple and looked up a youtube to make sure I cleaned them the right way. Took a little work cleaning the fat and silver skin off and then you had to cut a fibrous membrane down the middle of them out. I rubbed it with a little olive oil and a simple Kinders seasoning. These things turned out delicious and I was the rave of the camp.👍 Needless to say I was hooked on this cut of meat.

Fast forward to last weekend. I was in Big Bear and went and grabbed a few more from Hottinger and took two up there to cook. The cottages we were staying at did not have a gas bbq so a buddy bought me some auto light charcoal. I cooked them up and they tasted like SHIT! At least to me, but they had a horrible tinny flavor to them that I blamed on the presoaked charcoal. Okay no big deal, I cant be Emeril every time.

Okay, now last night, i defrosted and cooked my last one. Did a little teriyaki marinade and threw them on the grill. Give a slice and a taste and #$%^ they tasted like SHIT again. Again I'm no chef or meat expert, but again the tinny flavor was profound :eek:

Anybody else every experience this taste with this cut of meat?
Hanger Steak.jpg

wash11

Reaction score
It's a tender cut for sure since it's a muscle that doesn't do much work but it's got a flavor. "Iron" is the only word I can use to describe. I'm with you. I've had some that were great and others I just loaded up the condiments cuz I wasn't going to waste it 😁

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Thanks for the meat report, I've had Hangar steak, never cooked it myself.

I'll stick to TriTip. I can't remember the last one I did not love.

Beerme

Reaction score
It's a tender cut for sure since it's a muscle that doesn't do much work but it's got a flavor. "Iron" is the only word I can use to describe. I'm with you. I've had some that were great and others I just loaded up the condiments cuz I wasn't going to waste it 😁
Iron is a perfect word to describe that taste and yes I did double up on the dipping sauce to hide the flavor. 😁

Beerme

Reaction score
Thanks for the meat report, I've had Hangar steak, never cooked it myself.

I'll stick to TriTip. I can't remember the last one I did not love.
No problem. I like to think that I've tried it all, but obviously there are meats out there I haven't. Tri Tip is my favorite go to also not only for BBQ, but I also like to sear and slow cook with a little garlic and El Pato tomato sauce to make some nice Mexican shredded beef 😁

Also, if you are close to the Inland Empire, Hottinger Meats has about 4 different marinated Tri Tips and they are delicious. I mean, cant screw it up tender and I recommend the Garlic Wine marinade. Yummy!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I've read that the difference in Wet aging and Dry aging can make or break that cut of beef.

Beerme

Reaction score
My favorite from hottinger tri tip is the santa maria flavor
I have tried the Santa Maria and it was delicious. The butcher had told me that the Santa Maria was a good one to bbq or smoke, but the wine/garlic not so good for smoking. Honestly, I have not tried to smoke any of their tri tips as they are so tender and take minimal time on the grill.

Beerme

Reaction score
I've read that the difference in Wet aging and Dry aging can make or break that cut of beef.
I'm curious to ask them about this next time I go in. There was a huge difference in taste between the first set I bought and the second set. Odd thing I noticed is the first set, pictured above were vacu packed with no air and the second set, although still frozen in what appeared to be the same packaging, had lots of air inside with the piece of meat. I may head there today if I get time.