WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARIZONA

Advantage 1

Reaction score
AZ turns 105 today :drink:party::bday:bday

Cheers!!

While people are celebrating Valentine's Day and devouring chocolate hearts on Feb. 14, some Arizonans will be eating cacti and celebrating a different holiday: Arizona Statehood Day.

A little over a century ago, the lovely state we call home became a state. So instead of going to dinner to celebrate with your loved one, you could throw a party to honor Arizona.

Now check out these 12 facts about Arizona so you can impress your friends on Arizona's birthday.

1. Arizona became the 48th state in 1912. Prior to it becoming a state, it was known as a territory of New Mexico, but often referred to as Arizona.

2. Arizona will turn 105 this year.

3. The state flower is a saguaro cactus blossom. It was adopted in 1901 as the territorial flower and in 1930 became the official state flower.

4. Arizona is the 15th most-populous state with a population of 6.7 million, according to the U.S. Census.

5. The official state neck wear is the bola tie.

6. Arizona 's nicknames include the Grand Canyon State, the Copper State and the Valentine's Day State.

7. Arizona leads the nation in copper production, accounting for 68 percent of the United States' copper.

8. The Capitol building in Phoenix contains enough copper to make 4,800,000 pennies.

9. Arizona does not observe daylight-saving time.

10. Arizona is the 6th-largest state at around 114,000 square miles.

11. The state motto is "Ditat Deus" which means "God enriches."

12. The hottest day ever recorded in Arizona was 128 degrees in Lake Havasu City.

So forget that it's Valentine's Day and go celebrate Arizona's statehood! Throw a party, hang out with friends and party like it's 1912.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Looking forward to becoming Arizona residents later this year. :thumbup:

Will still be in CA working, but home will be Havasu.
I will be planting at least one saguaro in the front yard. :)

That Saguaro might cost as much as the house.:eek
I actually have big tax advantages staying a Calif resident otherwise I'd be sportin' an AZ drivers license and cheaper boat registration:p

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That Saguaro might cost as much as the house.:eek
I actually have big tax advantages staying a Calif resident otherwise I'd be sportin' an AZ drivers license and cheaper boat registration:p

Its $65 a foot at the local nursery so yeah it will only be a 4-5 footer. :)

Yeah Trina's preschool biz will be moving to AZ. That's the only real tax shelter we have besides the mortgage interest and property taxes.
No real Advantage for me to stay as a Calif resident.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We were on a houseboat on Lake Mead when LHC went 128. It was also 128 that day at Mead. That was Hot.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We were on a houseboat on Lake Mead when LHC went 128. It was also 128 that day at Mead. That was Hot.

I've experienced 122 in Havasu. Wiping down the boat that afternoon was a real chore.