WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Happy Birthday, "Big Daddy"

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
American hero!
Has a nice museum in Florida if your ever in the area a must see.

Been there twice, nothing like looking at those old swamp rats!
Saw him and talked to him there the first visit WAY back around 1999 or so. But I’d seen him at National events many times at that point.
Literally every advancement we see on todays TF cars is a product of Garlits career and experimentation.
Enclosed Cockpits, rear engines, wings, skinny front tires, the entire configuration of todays TF car can be traced from one swamp rat to the next.
Happy Birthday Large Father!

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Been there twice, nothing like looking at those old swamp rats!
Saw him and talked to him there the first visit WAY back around 1999 or so. But I’d seen him at National events many times at that point.
Literally every advancement we see on todays TF cars is a product of Garlits career and experimentation.
Enclosed Cockpits, rear engines, wings, skinny front tires, the entire configuration of todays TF car can be traced from one swamp rat to the next.
Happy Birthday Large Father!
Was there also in 1999 interesting as his mother must have saved everything from his childhood. Even had all kinds of stuff tracing his path to becoming a Eagle Scout.
His mom must have been 90 back then working the gift shop.

timstoy

Reaction score
Garlits is a true American legend and hero. My dad and I were at Lions drag strip when his front engine dragster sawed itself in half. Didn’t know until later that he lost part of his foot. He came back with a rear engine dragster and as they say the rest is history! Front fender skirts, small front tires, mono wings and canapys he tried them all. Happy birthday Big Daddy!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Garlits is a true American legend and hero. My dad and I were at Lions drag strip when his front engine dragster sawed itself in half. Didn’t know until later that he lost part of his foot. He came back with a rear engine dragster and as they say the rest is history! Front fender skirts, small front tires, mono wings and canapys he tried them all. Happy birthday Big Daddy!

Remember when he was using belts as front tires?

timstoy

Reaction score
Remember when he was using belts as front tires?
Forgot about the belt front tires! I think this just an extension of the greatest generation. After World War Two people didn’t have a lot of money so good old American enginenuaty took over,a lot of trail and error to make their cars faster. Soon companies like Isky, Edelbrock, Weiand and others started a whole new generation of hot rodders.

rrrr

Reaction score
Another birthday on Monday, January 17th...

James Earl Jones, who turned 91. In his first movie role,
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964), he played Lieutenant Lothar Zogg, bombardier of a B-52 flying over the Soviet Union and about to drop a nuclear bomb. Major T. J. "King" Kong, played by Slim Pickens, was the pilot.

Major Kong checking the contents of the emergency survival kit:

Lieutenant Zogg and Major Kong on the bomb run:

General Buck Turgidson, played by George C Scott, when asked by President Merkin Muffley, played by Peter Sellers, if the B-52 could evade Soviet guided anti-aircraft missiles:

When viewing the first video above, watch Pickins mouth as he says "Vegas." The original script called for him to say "Dallas", which he did. But the film was released just after Kennedy was assassinated.

The director, Stanley Kubrick, and production executives thought the mention of the city's name would be seen as insensitive, and "Vegas" was substituted. Since the film was "already in the can", the scene was not filmed again, as they thought the general public wouldn't notice the substitution.

Dr Strangelove has to be one of the funniest movies ever made.

Last edited: