WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Happy Monday - WTB A boat....

doc_texoma

Reaction score
Welp I've finally put a few pennies together and am looking to buy something to float on this summer.

There are several Chris Craft Capers available right now but they are all in the NE, and I am in Dallas. I'm not going to pay $1500 to ship a $4k boat.. Fail.

So my budget is $4k or so.. Could go a tiny bit higher. Obviously I'm not looking for an Eliminator Daytona or anything.

What I do seek is :

- Closed bow
- 15' to 20' or so...
- i/o or outboard - either is fine.
- something sporty LOOKING at least.. no family boats.
- speed is not important other than being able to reach 55mph
- reliable...

Some boats that I like: Glastron Carlson, CC Caper (of course), older Baja Sport models, Scarab 1, Chaparral Villain, Donzi z21, Progression/Concept (center console sport), Scarab Sprint IO model, etc..

Not interested in hydrostream or checkmate as I dont wanna deal with recoring, etc.. I don't mind a little work - but dont wanna have to split the boat to tear the whole inside apart because the thing is rotten....

Would love to hear from anyone that has something they fit might meet my needs.

Also - the boat needs to be within 400 miles of Dallas.

Thanks!!!!

Backlash

Reaction score
For $4K this may be a tough find. I think if this economy continues the way it is going, you might be able to come up on something. Kindof a long shot, but give Lanier Liquidators a shot. They are in Georgia. I know they typically sell parts from damaged boats, but sometimes they have inexpensive boats for sale that do need some work. You might find a gem hidden in their inventory. Good luck and let us know what you find! 👍

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
The balance between budget and reliability is going to be your challenge. I have never been willing to be stuck on a lake or lose a weekend over mechanical issues. No advice here just wishes for good luck on your search.

doc_texoma

Reaction score
For $4K this may be a tough find. I think if this economy continues the way it is going, you might be able to come up on something. Kindof a long shot, but give Lanier Liquidators a shot. They are in Georgia. I know they typically sell parts from damaged boats, but sometimes they have inexpensive boats for sale that do need some work. You might find a gem hidden in their inventory. Good luck and let us know what you find! 👍
Like I said - there is wiggle room. I would just prefer to get something a little more rough and spend money over time making it pretty rather than coughing it all up on the spot.. But I get your point - and I know it will take a bit to find whats right...

doc_texoma

Reaction score
The balance between budget and reliability is going to be your challenge. I have never been willing to be stuck on a lake or lose a weekend over mechanical issues. No advice here just wishes for good luck on your search.

Thanks! Fortunately I'm not a new boater so I know SOME of the things that I need to look for at least.. Will keep the thread updated.

rrrr

Reaction score
You might find what you're looking for. There are a lot of people out there that have become unemployed, and they're just not going to make it without dumping the toys.

I don't remember the exact figures, but I think we've all seen the story that some 60% of the population are unable to come up with $500 cash in an emergency. The emergency is here for a lot of people.

Backlash

Reaction score
I did exactly what you're doing and ended up with a complete restoration! 😁 Its OK because I enjoy this type of work and I'm in no hurry. Be patient, you'll find something. 👍

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Cool Carlson

Outboard Commander

Hallett V drive project

Ski eliminator

Galaxie Outboard

Bahner IO

Commander IO

Baker Tunnel

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Omega Day cruiser

Eliminator Mojave

Stevens Flatty

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I've been a bottom feeder boat owner for years.

My advice:

• Don't buy a half completed project. I/O or jet boats with iffy motors are a crap shoot. Bad upholstery usually points to other issues beneath the skin.
  • A 17-19 foot O/B is probably your best bet.
  • Don't buy anything remotely. Go take a look at it in the trailer. Climb in and "stomp" on the floor, it should all be solid. Lift up the seat cushions.
  • Along with the above, go test run it on the lake. Most sellers don't like joy riders, so you can do this after the deal is done but before money changes hands.
  • Unless you only have to trailer a few miles, plan on spending an afternoon in the pep boys parking lot repacking bearings and budget for new tires.

You'll look at some real turds.

Nothing sucks more than spending hard earned money on a boat that works for all of 15 minutes then grenades a motor or drive the first weekend out.

doc_texoma

Reaction score

doc_texoma

Reaction score
Cool Carlson

Outboard Commander

Hallett V drive project

Ski eliminator

Galaxie Outboard

Bahner IO

Commander IO

Baker Tunnel

sure.. plenty of stuff in the desert and west coast.. NOT plenty of stuff in Dallas.
Omega Day cruiser

Eliminator Mojave

Stevens Flatty

thanks for the links.. I watch inland empire all the time just to salivate.. As shown above one of my requirements is the boat needs to be within 400 miles. These are all much further than that. I basically need something in OK, AR, LA, TX or possibly TN/MO/MS - but those are really too far.

doc_texoma

Reaction score
I've been a bottom feeder boat owner for years.

My advice:

• Don't buy a half completed project. I/O or jet boats with iffy motors are a crap shoot. Bad upholstery usually points to other issues beneath the skin.
  • A 17-19 foot O/B is probably your best bet.
  • Don't buy anything remotely. Go take a look at it in the trailer. Climb in and "stomp" on the floor, it should all be solid. Lift up the seat cushions.
  • Along with the above, go test run it on the lake. Most sellers don't like joy riders, so you can do this after the deal is done but before money changes hands.
  • Unless you only have to trailer a few miles, plan on spending an afternoon in the pep boys parking lot repacking bearings and budget for new tires.

You'll look at some real turds.

Nothing sucks more than spending hard earned money on a boat that works for all of 15 minutes then grenades a motor or drive the first weekend out.

great advice.. Thanks for caring!! :)

doc_texoma

Reaction score
My intent is not to buy a project boat in the sense that I cannot put the boat on the water as-is... I *am* willing to buy a project boat that may be ugly as sin inside (fisherman bucket seats, and all the other gawdawful things people do to sell boats) or similar and then as weeks, months, years pass by work on those items until they are where I want them. I am not a mechanic - so zero interest in buying something without a motor. Nor do I want to do much fiberglas work.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Cool Carlson

Outboard Commander

Hallett V drive project

Ski eliminator

Galaxie Outboard

Bahner IO

Commander IO

Baker Tunnel
Those Bakers are badass little boats! If I had some extra cash laying around I'd pick that up, throw my engine on it and go have a blast! The 200 should take it over 80 and they are built like a tank.
My intent is not to buy a project boat in the sense that I cannot put the boat on the water as-is... I *am* willing to buy a project boat that may be ugly as sin inside (fisherman bucket seats, and all the other gawdawful things people do to sell boats) or similar and then as weeks, months, years pass by work on those items until they are where I want them. I am not a mechanic - so zero interest in buying something without a motor. Nor do I want to do much fiberglas work.
Most of us are from the southwest so it we may not be able to help much.

I know a guy who's brother owns a marine repair shop on lake Travis. I'll try to get his name. He could be worth a call since he deals in mostly outboard stuff from what I'm told.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hawgty55

Reaction score
I believe its on the boards here closed bow Howard/outboard i believe asking price was around 8kish. Ive been looking at it every once in awhile but wife doesn't want something that rides so low in the water. And if your name gives an idea of your location its close and could be driven to get.
Screenshot_20200420-152958_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200420-153010_Facebook.jpg