WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hard starting

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
Wow we need a new thread here.

Ok so I thought it was my carb flooding and it still may be.

Seems to be after the initial start and maybe even the initial start I have to hold the throttle down or at least half way down to get it to start. Spinning it without the throttle almost wide open sounds like it wants to start but just not quite. Even after I pump it a couple of times to get a squirt of gas in there.

This started happening at the end of last year so rebuilt the carb thinking it was flooding.

Still doing it.

I am going to replace the plugs and check the timing next time out but it runs very well after the start.

It has the D.U.I HEI ignition and a 4160 750cfm Holley carb.

Could the carb just be bad and leaking gas somewhere other then the floats? I really don't smell gas.

Could the timing be too advanced and sparking too early or late?

Thoughts please

Thanks,

Chuck

Attachments

• DSC08119.jpg
    DSC08119.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 106

BajaMike

Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel line and fuel filter and fuel pump? Maybe vapor lock?

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Get it started and look down the carb and see if fuel is pouring in. I've had this issue with mine and it was junk stuck in the float needle. Today's fuel is terrible for carbed engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
Added a 40 micron filter before my water seperator type filter which has a new NAPA filter cartridge. New fuel pump and carb was just rebuilt with new needle and seats and I paid close attention to the floats. They seem to be fine.

I am running Lucas ethanol treatment now.

But this was happening last year also before all the new stuff and carb rebuild.

Nordie

Reaction score
New tanks installed?........................;)

This for number 1

Evidently ol CC has some insight on your build. Us inmates need to know full details to help diagnose your problems

Wow we need a new thread here.

Ok so I thought it was my carb flooding and it still may be.

Seems to be after the initial start and maybe even the initial start I have to hold the throttle down or at least half way down to get it to start. Spinning it without the throttle almost wide open sounds like it wants to start but just not quite. Even after I pump it a couple of times to get a squirt of gas in there.

This started happening at the end of last year so rebuilt the carb thinking it was flooding.

Still doing it.

I am going to replace the plugs and check the timing next time out but it runs very well after the start.

It has the D.U.I HEI ignition and a 4160 750cfm Holley carb.

Could the carb just be bad and leaking gas somewhere other then the floats? I really don't smell gas.

Could the timing be too advanced and sparking too early or late?

Thoughts please

Thanks,

Chuck

Holding the throttle 1/2 open tells me only your secondaries are working. I would do a tear down of the primary side of the carb and check the needle and seat. Then check the meter block making sure the jets are not clogged. Also check your float level. With what you have explained I do not think you have a spark issue.

The only time I have seen a (hard start) issue, meaning the fucker barely cranks (like a dead battery), and tied to ignition troubles. Is the motor was warmed up and had too much advance in it, thus replicating an engine cranking like it had a dying battery.

I had a similar issue on an 800cfm holley. I was on the lake cruising, and suddenly I had a lean pop coming through the carb, and the boat ran like absolute ass, unless I stabved the go pedal. The secondaries had enough fuel to eliminate the lean side of things, but on the low end no good.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

BajaMike

Reaction score
I've never understood carbs. Long live fuel injection. Doesn't sound like an ignition issue to me either, if it runs good once it is going.

Good luck!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
This for number 1

Evidently ol CC has some insight on your build. Us inmates need to know full details to help diagnose your problems

Holding the throttle 1/2 open tells me only your secondaries are working. I would do a tear down of the primary side of the carb and check the needle and seat. Then check the meter block making sure the jets are not clogged. Also check your float level. With what you have explained I do not think you have a spark issue.

The only time I have seen a (hard start) issue, meaning the fucker barely cranks (like a dead battery), and tied to ignition troubles. Is the motor was warmed up and had too much advance in it, thus replicating an engine cranking like it had a dying battery.

I had a similar issue on an 800cfm holley. I was on the lake cruising, and suddenly I had a lean pop coming through the carb, and the boat ran like absolute ass, unless I stabved the go pedal. The secondaries had enough fuel to eliminate the lean side of things, but on the low end no good.

Chuck has an older Spectra with glass tanks that have started to delam (another thread). I think he's put some added filters in line and hopes to salvage the season.

I'd guess that the delam glass gunk is everywhere in the fuel system causing low fuel pressure and/or clogging pickups, lines and carb passages.

Fuel tanks Chuck, fuel tanks!

Nordie

Reaction score
Chuck has an older Spectra with glass tanks that have started to delam (another thread). I think he's put some added filters in line and hopes to salvage the season.

I'd guess that the delam glass gunk is everywhere in the fuel system causing low fuel pressure and/or clogging pickups, lines and carb passages.

Fuel tanks Chuck, fuel tanks!

Noted. I had a very si milar situation. I ran a fuel/water seperator, and an AN filter, and teflon kept plugging up my needle and seat, and my jets. I had no clue where is was coming from, but once I figured it out it didnt phase me from boating. When it would clog up again I would tear down the primaries and unclog the situation, and go back to boating. After a couple of trips all the garbage finally wheened itself out and never had a single problem afterwards.

About the delaming tanks, well its time to get them fuckers out of there. Many of people I know had this very same problem due to the new type of pumpgas fuels. I know of a couple boats still running them with no issues, but they are running avgas.

jetboatmatt

Reaction score
Check timing sounds over timed to me!! And then do like others said!! Rebuild the primary in the carb!! It will run strong overtimed if it starts and you will destroy your engine!! You probly know so just disregard hahahaa hope you figure it out! Good luck

MohaveChuck

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I am working on the tanks issue.

Going to get back to it this weekend and check the fuel filters and timing and change the plugs then the carb again if the problem persists.

But the tanks definately are going even if the filters show very little delam.