WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hard time accepting that I am getting old

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So what is the preference for "higher performance" toons these days? I/O power (Playcraft....etc) or a 350 Verado hanging off the back?
What should one look for when picking a pontoon boat with decent performance? Who are the "go to" manufacturers and those to stay away from?

I know i've ready about lifting strakes, height of the actual pontoon itself....etc. I realized I know alot about fiberglass boats but never really payed attention to pontoon boats, and they have my eye right now as well

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
So what is the preference for "higher performance" toons these days? I/O power (Playcraft....etc) or a 350 Verado hanging off the back?
What should one look for when picking a pontoon boat with decent performance? Who are the "go to" manufacturers and those to stay away from?

I know i've ready about lifting strakes, height of the actual pontoon itself....etc. I realized I know alot about fiberglass boats but never really payed attention to pontoon boats, and they have my eye right now as well

The Playcraft from what I am told was looked at as the Corvette of toons. I think some of the newer ones have caught up. Mine is up on the step around 12MPH and scoots right along to 45. It has the 6.4 350 which was only produced for a couple years. Our next toon will be twin wackers.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Knowing I was spending 70 to 90k. I started with a 60k budget but I just didn't like the looks of everything in that range. They just looked old, dated. It was narrowed down to bennington, avalon and South Bay. Also nordic, which was so close I left a deposit. (Not a toon)
The bennington was great but, for equal to the avalon it's was 20k more. I could not find the added cost. The South Bay was nice, but just didn't look current. So we test drove the avalon in havasu, at got water. They had this toon ordered, about 6 weeks out. So we left the deposit. Seamless from there.

The outboard was for simplicity, very little maintenance. Average mpg, not amazing though. Resale, looks, more deck room with the rear loungers which was a must have. I added a big stereo and modified the storage cover. That's it.
My insurance dropped 500 a year from my magic.
Avalon won't do a 350 on 25' or less, although is did hear it's coming soon. First pic is 27" ambassador, with 350. Mine is 25' ambassador with the 300. The 25 is huge, I can't imagine the 27.
It will go 45mph no matter what the water is like. The roughest day and it's fine. My wife rides on the lounger in the worse water. I'm happy with it. It is a production line product, so think rv for some stuff.
We wake board every trip, very friendly for that.
My toons were acid washed then shark skinned. I wanted a more even color, which aluminum is tough to due. Polished was close, but the spot would have made me insane
Floor never gets so hot your can stand on it, it's does heat up a bit.
Hardest part to get used to is the silence

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
This would be the killer set-up.

playcraft.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That one looks super bad ass! Whats the selling price on an Avalon like that with say, a 300 or 350 horse motor?

Right at the moment the biggest motor Avalon will put on it is a 150.
Didn't get a price.

[video=youtube;LtEMGGfW9F0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEMGGfW9F0[/video]

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I have been in performance boating for as long as I can remember. About five years ago I got the inch for a toon. Wife always said we had to be old to get one. Three years ago decided to start pushing a little on the toon deal. My first mistake was telling her she was now qualified as old and would look ok on a Pontoon.:eek

After many flowers and jewelry I was permitted to start looking. My goal was to buy a cheaper toon and see if we liked it, a deal came along on a great used Playcraft that I just couldnt pass up. After running the boat for a year I feel in love with it and decided to rebuild it from the toons up. It came out awesome!

We have been using the toon now for a couple of seasons along with keeping the fast boat for the occasional speed runs. We are now thinking its time to step up the game on a new pontoon and sell the Playcraft. OP your Avalon has me inspired, I am going to start looking at those a little closer.

Super nice boat you have.

Thanks, there are a lot of nice toon builders out there but my choices came down to Bennington and Avalon. Just liked the overall look of Avalon better and seem very satisfied with the quality of the boat thus far and the Merc 350 is terrific and quiet.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

I went with the 350 Merc so as to have the best top end I could get and the quiet reliable motor. I have a 5 year warranty included with the engine.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Right at the moment the biggest motor Avalon will put on it is a 150.
Didn't get a price.

[video=youtube;LtEMGGfW9F0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEMGGfW9F0[/video]

Oh I see, because it isn't the higher end model. Catalina is around a mid-grade for Avalon

sirbob

Reaction score
The Ambassador model on the web site looks really nice - I could go for one on those with nice big twins.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
The Ambassador model on the web site looks really nice - I could go for one on those with nice bigs twins.

They do rig them with twins but honestly it might be overkill for the intended purpose of the boat.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Knowing I was spending 70 to 90k. I started with a 60k budget but I just didn't like the looks of everything in that range. They just looked old, dated. It was narrowed down to bennington, avalon and South Bay. Also nordic, which was so close I left a deposit. (Not a toon)
The bennington was great but, for equal to the avalon it's was 20k more. I could not find the added cost. The South Bay was nice, but just didn't look current. So we test drove the avalon in havasu, at got water. They had this toon ordered, about 6 weeks out. So we left the deposit. Seamless from there.

The outboard was for simplicity, very little maintenance. Average mpg, not amazing though. Resale, looks, more deck room with the rear loungers which was a must have. I added a big stereo and modified the storage cover. That's it.
My insurance dropped 500 a year from my magic.
Avalon won't do a 350 on 25' or less, although is did hear it's coming soon. First pic is 27" ambassador, with 350. Mine is 25' ambassador with the 300. The 25 is huge, I can't imagine the 27.
It will go 45mph no matter what the water is like. The roughest day and it's fine. My wife rides on the lounger in the worse water. I'm happy with it. It is a production line product, so think rv for some stuff.
We wake board every trip, very friendly for that.
My toons were acid washed then shark skinned. I wanted a more even color, which aluminum is tough to due. Polished was close, but the spot would have made me insane
Floor never gets so hot your can stand on it, it's does heat up a bit.
Hardest part to get used to is the silence

What is "shark skinned" on the toons?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Great looking Toon Lavey29.:thumbsup
One of the best things l've found as l've gotten older is, it's nice to slow it down a bit to smell the roses so to speak. l to have enjoyed fast boats and cars and still do but, l've also now found the enjoyment of slowing down the pace and having conversations with friends when going somewhere instead of going from A to B at breakneck speed.;)

Is it getting old, maybe yes, but l like to think of it as having a more mature attitude regarding life.:D Mind you l would never sell my Blown Sanger, Blown Sleekcraft Ambassador, my Fastlane 40 and Corvette, l haven't gotten that old yet. :thumbsup:D

That is a terrific mindset to have :thumbsup

sirbob

Reaction score
They do rig them with twins but honestly it might be overkill for the intended purpose of the boat.

Ya but that Ambassador in the video with twins hauling ass looks like he is walking on water!

It never about what you need - it always come down to what you want ![emoji12]

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
To some degree, yes but if you want to go fast keep your big block cat hull. I think the toon is geared much more towards cruising. I could actually talk to my family now while we were boating down the lake, it was so quiet on board.

DickieB

Reaction score
Right on, I hope I am still floatin at 71 like you :thumbsup

Yep, still having fun, try to stay off the water on big weekends and other busy times..........not quite like it used to be but still enjoyable. Now my kids and grandkids are taking over...........

riverroyal

Reaction score
What is "shark skinned" on the toons?

More or less painted on. It's a metal protection coating. It keeps the aluminum from staining and discoloring. I'm told you should reapply every 3 years. I don't leave mine in the water so it should go longer. Without your toons will discolor, change colors and etch badly. I strongly recommend. There are few shops in havasu that do the process. It's clear, so if you polish the toons it is strongly recommended. Mine were 'washed' to try and get them all one color, then shark skin. Shark hide, might be a few other name.
Did I you get it from got water? They have a guy. If not I believe Arizona reflections or adrenaline do it. It not that expensive.

HavasuHaulin

Reaction score
After owning a toons for over 15 years and currently own a playcraft i/o it's always best to have the tops down when docking or putting on the trailer, and like 2ff said you have to drive it on the trailer fast, and there like driving a long truck 3 point turns in tight places...lol

GMD

Reaction score
Very nice. They are relaxing for sure. You will get used to the wind moving you around a little. I found that when boating in the 5mph areas is to add a few hundred Rpms and it will give you a lot more control.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Very nice. They are relaxing for sure. You will get used to the wind moving you around a little. I found that when boating in the 5mph areas is to add a few hundred Rpms and it will give you a lot more control.

Yes for sure that is what I needed to do also to get some response in tight places.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
More or less painted on. It's a metal protection coating. It keeps the aluminum from staining and discoloring. I'm told you should reapply every 3 years. I don't leave mine in the water so it should go longer. Without your toons will discolor, change colors and etch badly. I strongly recommend. There are few shops in havasu that do the process. It's clear, so if you polish the toons it is strongly recommended. Mine were 'washed' to try and get them all one color, then shark skin. Shark hide, might be a few other name.
Did I you get it from got water? They have a guy. If not I believe Arizona reflections or adrenaline do it. It not that expensive.

I will research it,,,thanks...picked it up from Pacific Marine in Madera and had it delivered to the house. Hey did you have that done as the boat was being put together or can they do it after the toons are already attached to the frame of the boat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That toon is straight gangster!! I love it!

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I will research it,,,thanks...picked it up from Pacific Marine in Madera and had it delivered to the house. Hey did you have that done as the boat was being put together or can they do it after the toons are already attached to the frame of the boat?

You can do it after the fact. Its probably easier to do with with the toon off the trailer since youll have access to the surface thats sitting on the bunks.
Im going to do this next right after i skin the entire underside of the deck.

[video=youtube;vhW1O-SOL28]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhW1O-SOL28[/video]

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Nice toon Marc, congrats. Hope to see it on the water soon![emoji106]

riverroyal

Reaction score

Is a great guy. Talked with him a few times.

underpressure

Reaction score
I'm right there with you! Enjoying the Nordic, but can definitely foresee a toon in the future That's a bad azz toon you got!

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to take my dad down to Got Water and speak with Vaughn yesterday. The Avalon Toons are very nice and that Ambassador is nothing short of stunning!!!!

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I'm right there with you! Enjoying the Nordic, but can definitely foresee a toon in the future That's a bad azz toon you got!

Thanks, it is still weird getting used to not having the speed and coolness of the deck boat but overall the family really enjoyed the experience on the toon much better I think. I was not as worried at all about keeping stuff spotless clean, you can park these things on a volcanic island pretty much and not hurt them.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to take my dad down to Got Water and speak with Vaughn yesterday. The Avalon Toons are very nice and that Ambassador is nothing short of stunning!!!!

Thanks, I sent you PM regarding my buying research and experience just so you could have some more info as you check them out.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
WOW...... nicely done. You stepped WAY up. You and the Fam will Love it. Glad you bought from Jack, Really a great guy. :thumbsup

Now order a slide for the kids. :)

image.jpg

TOBTEK

Reaction score
SJP needs a slide like that to get out of the rear of the DCB.

I'll bring it right over, if I get to come along in his Whip :thumbsup One of the (if not Best) best looking new DCB's made in a LONG time. Behind mine of course....LOL

KAP

Reaction score
Congrats Marc:

I know you will have many new memories on your new boat.

Once you get some hours on it the docking will be a piece of cake.

Wind is the real culprit but it is like flying a plane start on one side and drift it in to the trailer.

You will have 5 years of trouble free boating with your outboard. Lastly, the speed guys can fly past but you can relax and take it easy stop and barbeque all on the water.

Once again congratulations on your new ride.

KAP

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Kap, the family is really enjoying it and as you can see below the electric wine (tequila) rack is a nice option.

Attachments

• 20160730_170904.jpg
    20160730_170904.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160730_171013.jpg
    20160730_171013.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 22

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A guy showed up at the sandbar in parker with one of those slides. Every kid at the sandbar was going nuts over it. It looked like an ant trail from the rear swim ladder to the top of the slide, and you could see all the wives looking at the program with envy.. Their was most likely quite a few conversations on the way home about selling boats and buying that exact program..

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
A guy showed up at the sandbar in parker with one of those slides. Every kid at the sandbar was going nuts over it. It looked like an ant trail from the rear swim ladder to the top of the slide, and you could see all the wives looking at the program with envy.. Their was most likely quite a few conversations on the way home about selling boats and buying that exact program..

Exactly... My wife is all over me for another toon. I'd sell the Hallett tomorrow if I had a place to store a pontoon inside. The Hallett fits in my garage with a break away trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Exactly... My wife is all over me for another toon. I'd sell the Hallett tomorrow if I had a place to store a pontoon inside. The Hallett fits in my garage with a break away trailer.

are we gonna have another talk about giraffes? lol

rightytighty

Reaction score
Is a great guy. Talked with him a few times.

FYI- I have lived in this area a long time. Glad your deals have gone well. But beware. Google "Fresno State point shaving", if curious. Vartainian is owner of Pacific. Transferred to sisters name after "incident" but what ever.

Good guy??? Umm....maybe?