WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hardin Marine Stainless impeller housing - any regrets?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting the Hardin stainless seawater pump setup and installing it next week.

Any regrets? Any gotchas?

My brass pump housing still works fine, should I just convert what I have to a stainless wear plate setup?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Installed one on my 496 HO, when my original crapped out. Never one issue after that. Put one on my current 540. I'm at 80 hrs 2 seasons so far with it and the impeller looks brand new. FWIW I also have a 1 gallon sea strainer that ensures that I always have water right at start up.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I went to the SS early last year and it just didn't have the flow the stock plastic POS one makes. So i switched it all back after a few times out.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I went to the SS early last year and it just didn't have the flow the stock plastic POS one makes. So i switched it all back after a few times out.

FWIW I have the all brass “Gen 7” pump, not the plastic housing one.

farmo83

Reaction score
Yes I regret they don't make one for my application ! Seriously though my dad has one and he loves it. 0 issues since install.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
Installed one last season on my 496 no issues or regrets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I put one on each of my 496HOs and they've been trouble free for one season so far. Producing 32PSI, which apparently is good enough to not trigger any alarms.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My boat should have 1. But after last service realized they only changed impeller and left stock 1 charged my buddy for it though. Just bought a new stock water pump as they had it on stock.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yes I regret they don't make one for my application ! Seriously though my dad has one and he loves it. 0 issues since install.

Only thing to remember is that the hardin pumps use the older style single notch impeller that's found in the plastic housing pumps.

Farmo: I'm pretty sure I just saw an all stainless older style merc housing in my new merc catalog today. I can probably get you one since you're nearby. Do you have a fuel pump partition on yours?

dribble

Reaction score
Been running one for eight years now. The best single purchase I've made for my boat.

69hondo

Reaction score
I put one on my boat last year and so far so good.

spectras only

Reaction score
The OEM impellers are fine for at least two seasons, providing water will be in the pump on startups. Only problem with the pump design, the impeller starts to deform after long, sometimes up to six months of boats sitting during winter. Mercruiser's recommendation to change/service WP is after 100hrs of continuous operation. I was lucky so far having at least two seasons out of the OEM neoprene impellers, even with four months of winter storage.BTW, both pumps on my 2004 model year 6.2s are brass. Never understood why the 496 setups used the cheap plastic ones.:rolleyes: If I boated in sandy, muddy type waters, I would install a sand trap before the pump, like in jet boat setups.

there are few different types out there
https://kls-marine.com/jetboat-sandtraps/
148100.jpg

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The OEM impellers are fine for at least two seasons, providing water will be in the pump on startups. Only problem with the pump design, the impeller starts to deform after long, sometimes up to six months of boats sitting during winter. Mercruiser's recommendation to change/service WP is after 100hrs of continuous operation. I was lucky so far having at least two seasons out of the OEM neoprene impellers, even with four months of winter storage.BTW, both pumps on my 2004 model year 6.2s are brass. Never understood why the 496 setups used the cheap plastic ones.:rolleyes: If I boated in sandy, muddy type waters, I would install a sand trap before the pump, like in jet boat setups.

there are few different types out there
https://kls-marine.com/jetboat-sandtraps/
148100.jpg

496's are factory brass. The plastic housing is found on almost every Mercury motor. They updated in 98 I think to one piece, but still plastic. 500's, 525's, 600's, 700's etc.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought one this morning. It should meet me in AZ next week. This will be for a 6.2 small block, but it has the same pump and pulley as the 496.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought one this morning. It should meet me in AZ next week. This will be for a 6.2 small block, but it has the same pump and pulley as the 496.

You will like it. Threw one on our 496 in 2012. Has been great since. Best part is using the standard impeller. Can always find one if needed in a pinch.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You will like it. Threw one on our 496 in 2012. Has been great since. Best part is using the standard impeller. Can always find one if needed in a pinch.

I was looking at $100+ for a new impeller for what I have, and a wear plate kit. Considering this one is completely rebuildable and uses the more popular standard impeller, it seems like a decent investment for another $400. I was going to buy the one without a pulley and save $95 but the pulley press and puller are $70. It is easier to spend another $25 and get it ready to go with a new pulley installed.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yeah those sucked been there done that I think RD ran a couple back in the day with dismal results as well if I remember correctly

Not me.. I asked why nobody used them.

I asked a couple service shops about them and they said DONT PUT THAT SHIT IN YOUR WEBSITE! Lol

Apparently the idea of run dry / forever impellers wasn’t appealing to the service industry.

That said I have heard they didn’t work as advertised as well.

RD

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Not me.. I asked why nobody used them.

I asked a couple service shops about them and they said DONT PUT THAT SHIT IN YOUR WEBSITE! Lol

Apparently the idea of run dry / forever impellers wasn’t appealing to the service industry.

That said I have heard they didn’t work as advertised as well.

RD
I tried a couple of them in different application's and wasn't impressed. Old neighbor had one come apart and was never ran dry

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ok got my pump on and installed this week. Seems to work great. It was a pretty easy deal. The pump is a nice piece, and came ready to install.

It didn’t just directly fit on the pump mount as advertised which was a little annoying, but it is dialed in now.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Ok got my pump on and installed this week. Seems to work great. It was a pretty easy deal. The pump is a nice piece, and came ready to install.

It didn’t just directly fit on the pump mount as advertised which was a little annoying, but it is dialed in now.

I going to have to pick your brain about that install and servicing myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk