WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hardware You Don't need but can't pass up

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have this problem with Ebay, when I am just looking around I will come across someone selling a "lot" of some sort of hardware. Anything from reusable hose ends and AN fittings to spring pop pins to close out items like throttle mounted trim switches!

Yesterday I stumbled on some nice SS "T" handle compression latches that I have absolutely no use for at the moment but I bought 10 of them anyway???????
Dont get me started on bimini hardware for some reason I am fascinated by putting together round tubing??

Surely I am not the only one with this dis order?

ss compresion latch.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm not quite like that, but I usually tend to pickup a handful of what I may need one of. I figure if I needed it once, I'll need it again.

Problem is, sometimes I don't remember where I put the "spares". That tends to start the cycle over...

Reaction score
I'm not quite like that, but I usually tend to pickup a handful of what I may need one of. I figure if I needed it once, I'll need it again.

Problem is, sometimes I don't remember where I put the "spares". That tends to start the cycle over...
I have the same problem. Cannot remember that safe place I put things. lol

v6toy4x

Reaction score

Oh jesus, I had a thread looking for some specific bow chocks that wrapped over the edge of the boat, found them in brass and special ordered with them chrome plated. They came from Davey & Co. in the UK took a month or so but they got here and I put them somewhere safe, now that my boat build is getting started it was time to retrieve them from said "safe place" mother f**ker I can't find em :mad: :mad:

outboard_256

Reaction score

I do this all the time. If I buy one or two I really buy 4 or 5. I usually put the "spares" in one big box or drawer so I know generally where they are. What my problem is I forgot what spare's I already have, or I need 5 spares and only have 4 so I have to go buy some anyways. Its not a fool proof process at all, haha.

Sherpa

Reaction score
yep I too suffer from the "but thatrs a killer deal on that widget" scenario.......... thats why you can barely walk thru the "trails" in my garage..........

--Sherpa

v6toy4x

Reaction score
yep I too suffer from the "but thatrs a killer deal on that widget" scenario.......... thats why you can barely walk thru the "trails" in my garage..........

--Sherpa

"KILLER DEAL ON THAT WIDGET" is a great way to describe this!!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Years ago a buddy needed a timing cover for his little 4 banger in his ocean going little boat, T-stat housing leaking forever rusting out a little hole in the top of the cover, thustly throwing oil. I knew for a fact I had two of them in great shape hanging on the wall SOMEWHERE. Damned if I could see or find them. He ordered a new one from Chevy and missed two weekends of boating waiting for it but did finally get one. Just like others on here a month later I took a big swig of coffee looking at another wall and there they were just where I hung them, staring at me!!! SOB how embarrassing.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I like to keep stock of everything I could possibly need....I hate waiting for parts, so for my own stuff, I typically order before I need it or order multiples if I do need it.

Example...buy a new (used) GM truck....I order up a water pump, radiator (change that right outta the gate) hubs, fuel pump, any quick connect coolant fittings, etc...and throw 'em on the shelf.

Hardware...if I need one I order a whole box. They get used. Same with gaskets. I just had a merc powerhead swap come over....I didn't have to go to the store, had 2 sets of everything I needed on hand. Finding where I'd put it was a bit of a problem, but it was still faster than shipping.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol, you just caused me to go through my gigantic wish lists and delete a ton of stuff I'd like to have but simply do not need.
Thank you for that, addiction is an evil illness that needs a kick in the ass to overcome. 😁😁

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Guns and watches.

Currently trying to resist the urge to long-travel my truck.
Don't need it.
Sure do want it!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've never met someone that had that illness as bad as my uncle. They had their house in Arroyo Grande, a Condo in Salinas (for work during the week), and their trailer at Naci. Each one had a FULLY stocked garage with full 18v cordless tool set (varied between Milwaukee and Ryobi depending on which property) and enough hardware you could build a running car if you had a drivetrain to start with. They moved from AG to Naci and combined their vacation place with their house. It was in that moment, when my uncle could not fit all of his shit from the 2 garages into a 3 car garage with 10' ceilings us when he realized he had a problem...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have drawers of shit. Lista drawers hold a ton. AN fittings, Brass fittings, Ac hose ends, stainless button heads, standard and metric hardware. People are amazed how much shit have and the fact it is semi organized. You waste to much time chasing shit down when you use it all the time.

franky

Reaction score
I am the same way, need a few but buy a bag so consequently I have a complete fully organized SS hardware inventory. Same thing with adel clamps, AN fittings, ARP bolts and things like that. I like tools too, my new favorite

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I've never met someone that had that illness as bad as my uncle. They had their house in Arroyo Grande, a Condo in Salinas (for work during the week), and their trailer at Naci. Each one had a FULLY stocked garage with full 18v cordless tool set (varied between Milwaukee and Ryobi depending on which property) and enough hardware you could build a running car if you had a drivetrain to start with. They moved from AG to Naci and combined their vacation place with their house. It was in that moment, when my uncle could not fit all of his shit from the 2 garages into a 3 car garage with 10' ceilings us when he realized he had a problem...

This is starting to happen to me. We winter in FL and Summer in TN. Tired of carrying a lot of stuff back and forth, so started buying duplicates. Where does it stop. LOL

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Before retiring I threw in the dumpster, cleaning out 4 "maint. shops" enough shit to fill a garage. I m talking 40 years of bins and drawers full of crap like that sitting for decades.
Shop space was changed to production area. Filled 2 dumpsters. SS crap, Brass fittings. oddball nuts and bolts. Tossed it all. Took us a week.
You woulda been in hog heaven !

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
This is starting to happen to me. We winter in FL and Summer in TN. Tired of carrying a lot of stuff back and forth, so started buying duplicates. Where does it stop. LOL
It doesn't. I have a fully outfitted tool set @ work, @ the rental house, @ home and @ Havasu. Now my daughter just bought her first house a month ago and I already started appointing her garage with tools that might be needed anytime I'm there and something needs attention. 😁

NicPaus

Reaction score
I buy stuff for work all the time. Costco currently has faucets lights and a few other things on special. The faucets with $15 off are $50 less than anywhere else. I have 10 on hand. Clearance items from lowes. I have 2 kohler villager tubs they quit stocking them got them for 118$ instead of $400. I have a industrial 4 shelf rack of nails and screws. With current prices probably 2g to buy. I have a shed full of paint. I can rehab a rental and only buy half the stuff needed.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I am the same way, need a few but buy a bag so consequently I have a complete fully organized SS hardware inventory. Same thing with adel clamps, AN fittings, ARP bolts and things like that. I like tools too, my new favorite

That has been on my wish list for awhile now. I am just waiting for the project that I need it on to justify buying it.

I sometimes feel like there should be meetings or something:

Hello, my name is Waterjunky and I am a tool whore.......

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have drawers of shit. Lista drawers hold a ton. AN fittings, Brass fittings, Ac hose ends, stainless button heads, standard and metric hardware. People are amazed how much shit have and the fact it is semi organized. You waste to much time chasing shit down when you use it all the time.

Words to live by, I am the same way, bolt bins, SS fastneners, elec terminals, steel and wood racks, I hate having to go to the hardware store mid project!

I do NOT have LISTA drawers, that baller stuff, I have dorman and proto

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Before retiring I threw in the dumpster, cleaning out 4 "maint. shops" enough shit to fill a garage. I m talking 40 years of bins and drawers full of crap like that sitting for decades.
Shop space was changed to production area. Filled 2 dumpsters. SS crap, Brass fittings. oddball nuts and bolts. Tossed it all. Took us a week.
You woulda been in hog heaven !

I am so GLAD i was NOT there!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I love those quick release pins. If I had a drawer full of those I would find all kinds of uses for them.

Thats the worst part, you will see some cool hardware at a huge discount and say "gee I bet I could figure out something to use that for" next thing you know you got more crap to find a place for!!

v6toy4x

Reaction score

AHHH!! I just bought that as well, I then bought a 1400 pc assortment of the rivnuts and a dorman box to organize them in
I don't know about you but I bet before I die I might use 100 of them!

franky

Reaction score
AHHH!! I just bought that as well, I then bought a 1400 pc assortment of the rivnuts and a dorman box to organize them in
I don't know about you but I bet before I die I might use 100 of them!
I used the ten 5/16-18 inserts that came with the tool and ran out. Needed 4 more for my project. Could have ordered 10 but got 50. I love this thing.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I used the ten 5/16-18 inserts that came with the tool and ran out. Needed 4 more for my project. Could have ordered 10 but got 50. I love this thing.

Good to hear. I want one of these bad! Have you ran into any issues with using the tool in confined spaces?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Got to use some of the stuff I have "needed"
A friend came by and wanted to replace his RV batteries, 3 new group 31 AGMs and needed a few new cables

Battery cable lugs
battery 1.jpg

Bulk battery cable
battery 2.jpg

Heat shrink
battery 3.jpg

Hyd crimper
battery 4.jpg

Finished product
battery 5.jpg

battery 6.jpg

nothing mind blowing but I got to say, "NO PROBLEM" we can whip those right up!!

DLC

Reaction score
What time do you guys open the garage?

SOMEDAY .... I might need some parts, bolts, or even battery cables..... thinking beer and cash might be the ticket...

that is some nice STUFF to have just hanging around....

v6toy4x

Reaction score
What time do you guys open the garage?

SOMEDAY .... I might need some parts, bolts, or even battery cables..... thinking beer and cash might be the ticket...

that is some nice STUFF to have just hanging around....

Beer will pretty much open us up!

I wasnt kidding about having a problem with hardware!

Reactions: DLC

TimeBandit

Reaction score
My saying is "I think I have one of those in the garage".

I can't ever find it when I need it.... so I buy another one.

A few weeks/months later I find the original one.

Murphy's Law of spare parts.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
My saying is "I think I have one of those in the garage".

I can't ever find it when I need it.... so I buy another one.

A few weeks/months later I find the original one.

Murphy's Law of spare parts.

2 of everything is good AND Murphy sux!!!

4Waters

Reaction score
Got to use some of the stuff I have "needed"
A friend came by and wanted to replace his RV batteries, 3 new group 31 AGMs and needed a few new cables

Battery cable lugs
View attachment 1002821

Bulk battery cable
View attachment 1002822

Heat shrink
View attachment 1002823

Hyd crimper
View attachment 1002824

Finished product
View attachment 1002825

View attachment 1002826

nothing mind blowing but I got to say, "NO PROBLEM" we can whip those right up!!
Nice crimper, I usually just solder those on and finish with heat shrink.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I used to solder and then I read too much and convinced myself crimping was better??

Its definitely quicker and easier?

4Waters

Reaction score
I used to solder and then I read too much and convinced myself crimping was better??

Its definitely quicker and easier?
Honestly, it's a problem if the connection is loose. A loose connection can leave you stranded or worse yet cause a fire. Crimped or soldered, as long as it's tight.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Not to mention your affliction for bringing home stray square bodies. 😊

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

I put shit up all the time so I won't loose it. I then find it about a week after I bought some cause I couldn't find it.