WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hatch ram wiring

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So i got a question, say one were to show up to get boat, upon opening hatch you realize your batteries are dead, how do you get hatch up?

If your hatch doesn't have an accessible pin on the actuator there are a couple things you can do, if you have a cigarette lighter you can use a cigarette lighter charger. You can also make up a jumper cord that you can connect a regular charger to and run it lower than 10a

If you have easy access to your dash wiring you can clip a jump to any main hot and ground and back feed power into the system with a jumper box, or battery charger.

You can install actual jumper posts into your rear seat base (Halletts that the batteries under the seat base have these standard)

Many times the hatch pins can be difficult and it's just easier to jumper power into the system.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My boat has two access holes under the back seat where I can pull the pin and lift the hatch up manually. I keep a piece of PVC pipe to prop it up with and then do whatever I have to do.

Mine has this as well. I store my boat in the garage, but usually store it with the hatch up enough to reach in for battery access.

But jumper posts in the back seat is a great idea.

boatnam2

Reaction score
If your hatch doesn't have an accessible pin on the actuator there are a couple things you can do, if you have a cigarette lighter you can use a cigarette lighter charger. You can also make up a jumper cord that you can connect a regular charger to and run it lower than 10a

If you have easy access to your dash wiring you can clip a jump to any main hot and ground and back feed power into the system with a jumper box, or battery charger.

You can install actual jumper posts into your rear seat base (Halletts that the batteries under the seat base have these standard)

Many times the hatch pins can be difficult and it's just easier to jumper power into the system.

I have a hallett so i will take a look, only looked in seat bases a few times messing with life jackets and don't remember seeing anything, I was thinking more about when i leave my boat in storage all winter, plan was to hook up a battery charger on last trip of summer and run cord outside of hatch.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I wired in my hatch ram relay b IMG_3579.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
do you brain surgeons have this fucking 3 to 5 wire 'brain buster' figured out yet ?

Even without all the outside BS, this is a 'no brainer', and should have been gone long ago .

Does RDP need to have an 'electrical wiring school' for those who need help ?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If you have access to the hatch pin through the seat , don't close your hatch so tight that it makes it almost impossible to pull the pin , stop it about 1/4 inch of fully closed

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
do you brain surgeons have this fucking 3 to 5 wire 'brain buster' figured out yet ?

Even without all the outside BS, this is a 'no brainer', and should have been gone long ago .

Does RDP need to have an 'electrical wiring school' for those who need help ?

4424514.jpg

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score

HA HA HA

Is this problem solved or not ?

I'd be happy to offer a wiring class for those who don't get what is going on here .

No one knows EVERYTHING, that's why we share info here .

I just can't understand why a 20/25 amp draw motor needs so much 'electrical engineering' in a fucking boat .

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
HA HA HA

I'd be happy to offer a wiring class for those who don't get what is going on here .

I just can't understand why a 20/25 amp draw motor needs so much 'electrical engineering' in a fucking boat .

Mine works just fine :)

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
HA HA HA

Make up your mind. A few months ago you were bitching about everyone asking questions looking for free advice on here instead of going to a certified shop. :rolleyes

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
This is one reason I almost NEVER bother post on forums any longer. Most threads end up like this with someone bitching or being an asshole. I'm available at [email protected] if anyone needs help. Over n out.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
What size fuse did you do between the battery and battery post on the relay?
I'm pretty sure I ran #12 stranded wire, and a 30 amp blade-style fuse. I used it all year and the fuse held fine, it may be a bit larger than I needed to go amp wise but i coudn't find the amp draw listed online and was too lazy to measure it before ordering the parts :D. I figured the the #12 stranded wire I used was rated over 30amps, so it was safe to use.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I ran #12 stranded wire, and a 30 amp blade-style fuse. I used it all year and the fuse held fine, it may be a bit larger than I needed to go amp wise but i coudn't find the amp draw listed online and was too lazy to measure it before ordering the parts :D. I figured the the #12 stranded wire I used was rated over 30amps, so it was safe to use.

Perfect, thanks [emoji106]

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Holy mother of god... that works awesome[emoji106][emoji106]. My hatch goes up at least twice as fast as it ever did.

Anyone contemplating doing this, it's well worth it, and simple to do.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Holy mother of god... that works awesome[emoji106][emoji106]. My hatch goes up at least twice as fast as it ever did.

Anyone contemplating doing this, it's well worth it, and simple to do.

Big difference. No noticeable draw in power. Rams work at full speed.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Mine was painfully slow and sometimes wouldn't work when it was 115 degrees. Keep in mind my boat is a 1991!

[video=youtube;N9W7eJg804k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9W7eJg804k[/video]

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Cool. That is about as fast as mine.

Is there a "travel" adjustment on these rams? I have 2 and one closes 1/2 in before the other one.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
The rams are a screw type deal. I wonder if you can disconnect one from the hatch and spin it as few times to even it out?

rrrr

Reaction score

Anyone considering replacement of circuit wiring to minimize voltage drop in a DC circuit should consult a wire sizing chart. The chart will indicate the proper wire size, taking circuit current and voltage drop Into consideration.

When calculating voltage drop, remember to double the length of the circuit from point A to point B, because the length of the positive and negative wires together make up the circuit distance. I use Ancor marine wire exclusively for installing circuits in my boats. The wire is drawn to a finer diameter for better flexibility and endurance. Each strand is also tin plated to practically eliminate corrosion. The service heat rating of the wire insulation is 105 degrees F, twice that of Walmart or Auto zone primary wire.

I always use Ancor compression connectors that have an extended insulation sleeve made from heat shrink materiel and lined with a heat activated adhesive. Don't overstrip the insulation. It must not allow bare wire to be outside the coverage area of the connector insulation.

Buy a good calibrated crimper with machined steel dies. Throw away the piece of crap you've owned since you began fixing the wiring problems on your first jet boat. They're worthless.

45501.jpg

Here's a wire sizing chart. When you look at it you'll think "these people are crazy, that's way too big.

But it's sized for a 3% voltage drop. Excessive voltage drop caused this thread to be generated. Just shut up and pull the recommended size. Another place where wire size is almost always incorrect is the power circuit for MSD ignition boxes. MSD recommends a negative and positive #12 AWG from the box directly to the battery. If your box is mounted more than 10' from the battery, upside the wire to #10.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

Anyone considering replacement of circuit wiring to minimize voltage drop in a DC circuit should consult a wire sizing chart. The chart will indicate the proper wire size, taking circuit current and voltage drop Into consideration.

When calculating voltage drop, remember to double the length of the circuit from point A to point B, because the length of the positive and negative wires together make up the circuit distance. I use Ancor marine wire exclusively for installing circuits in my boats. The wire is drawn to a finer diameter for better flexibility and endurance. Each strand is also tin plated to practically eliminate corrosion. The service heat rating of the wire insulation is 105 degrees F, twice that of Walmart or Auto zone primary wire.

I always use Ancor compression connectors that have an extended insulation sleeve made from heat shrink materiel and lined with a heat activated adhesive. Don't overstrip the insulation. It must not allow bare wire to be outside the coverage area of the connector insulation.

Buy a good calibrated crimper with machined steel dies. Throw away the piece of crap you've owned since you began fixing the wiring problems on your first jet boat. They're worthless.

View attachment 555328

Here's a wire sizing chart. When you look at it you'll think "these people are crazy, that's way too big.

But it's sized for a 3% voltage drop. Excessive voltage drop caused this thread to be generated. Just shut up and pull the recommended size. Another place where wire size is almost always incorrect is the power circuit for MSD ignition boxes. MSD recommends a negative and positive #12 AWG from the box directly to the battery. If your box is mounted more than 10' from the battery, upside the wire to #10.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

This would mean re-wiring my whole boat. Which one of these days I will probably do!

Rexone

an ordinary American
Reaction score
That's the value of the relay. It keeps you from having to rewire the whole boat. The stock wiring is adequate to run a relay but not to run the hatch ram. And check the dash switch they do fail from trying to pass too many amps over time. All problem areas. I've only seen a couple cases that couldn't be solved with a relay. Unless the motor's toast from operating at low voltage and amperage for years.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
I don't have time to read this whole thread but it appears to be a good one. Has anyone posted the marine wiring color code chart? I have on my wall in the garage a print out of a thread on hotboat forums that has the whole color code. more usefull stuff. It's been on the wall since 2003 lol

bajaleo

Reaction score
Just added the Rex Marine relay to my Renagade and the difference in hatch opening and closing is like night and day. Highly recommend.

Last edited: