WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu 2 stroke motorcycle service needed.

relaxalot

Reaction score
I have an older 2 stroke that needs minor work.. fluid changes.. chain installed.. carb cleanup and tank flush.. There is a small water leak.. I want to get it in running condition. Who is the go to person in Havasu for thumper?

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Year?
Make?
Model?
Where is the water leak coming from?

relaxalot

Reaction score
Year?
Make?
Model?
Where is the water leak coming from?
1994 CR 500... I am not sure where the water leak is from.. I noticed some coolant leaked out on the garage floor. Probably a seal dried up. Bike is in great shape.. just needs some love and a check out..

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
On the clutch cover there is a small cover(where the hoses come in) for the water impeller. On the bottom side there is a weep hole. Check and see if it's coming out of that weep hole. If so the clutch cover will need to be pulled and both water pump seals and most likely the impeller will all need to be replaced. Also a good time to pull the clutch pack, mic the fibers and inspect the steels. Would be a good time to replace if it hasn't been in a long time.

Love the CR500s I've had a few of them

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
I had issue w/ my 89 CR 500 leaking out of the water pump housing.If I recall, certain antifreeze will eat through.I JB'd it at Glamis, never looked back.Damn I miss that bike.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
There isn’t much to go wrong on a two-stroke, just take the carburetor off and clean it, put a new piston or at least new rings in it and you should be good to go.

77charger

Reaction score
I had issue w/ my 89 CR 500 leaking out of the water pump housing.If I recall, certain antifreeze will eat through.I JB'd it at Glamis, never looked back.Damn I miss that bike.
correct but its not really the anti freeze its the magnesium cover and electralysis which can kill them.

KoolPop

Reaction score
Mobile Moto Sports
AJ Scoggins.....928 575-7556
He used to manage AZ West shop. He really knows his stuff

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
If you are going to pay. Pay for both new crank seals. The original seals were engineered in 92, produced in 93 to make it to the 94.
All seals and o-rings need updating.

77charger

Reaction score
Just saw its a 94 cr500 i think the waterpump housing on that is aluminum so may just be a seal.I read it as an 84 and those had mag waterpump housing.
I have a 2001 cr500 and redid all my bearings and seals as well as had crank rebuilt and new bore and piston about 4 yeas ago have a whole 13 hours on it since then.Was thinking of selling the bike but im up in air about it.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
If you do need a new sidecase, which is highly likely, I think there is a place in Australia that has an improved replacement but they are several hundred dollars. And he only makes a limited run so numbers are limited. However I think I read recently that he had just done a new batch. The OG magnesium cases don't last all that long if you don't drain them when not in use. My 86 needed a new case in 1994.

77charger

Reaction score
If you do need a new sidecase, which is highly likely, I think there is a place in Australia that has an improved replacement but they are several hundred dollars. And he only makes a limited run so numbers are limited. However I think I read recently that he had just done a new batch. The OG magnesium cases don't last all that long if you don't drain them when not in use. My 86 needed a new case in 1994.
90 is the first year in aluminum so i kind of doubt the case will be bad could just be a waterpump seal and there are 2 in there can be a common mistake to install them wrong too spring side should face towards oil side on inner i think and outer seal the spring should face outwards.I did this on an older cr250 and kept wondering why the fuck am i still leaking coolant out the weep hole.

Bad case half will also let water into crankcase oil as will a leaky inner seal,Outer seal will blow coolant out the weephole.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
@77charger Oops you're right. Forgot about the upgrade. Loved my 500 but that kind of power with my declining skills wasn't a good combo.