WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Boat Shop Recommendations

gqchris

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know I am asking for a miracle, but can anyone advise me of a shop in Havasu that :

A: Is responsive
B: Does what they promise
C: Emails or Texts when needed to assure that no lines are crossed in communicating and all expectations are met as promised (I'm not against phone calls either)
D: Will be responsible to grab boat from storage, perform work, and return it without me worrying that it has new scratches.

I am out of ideas. I am an easy customer and in no hurry. Just want to be kept in the loop.

Thanks, please advise.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Aaron at Absolute, and AJ at Barrett. Barrett does the current boat...they usually have a long backlog but do exactly as they state, keep the boat clean and finish on time... I like to communicate in writing and they have been good on that... IDK if they do pickup and delivery but im sure most places do anymore..

gqchris

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Aaron at Absolute, and AJ at Barrett. Barrett does the current boat...they usually have a long backlog but do exactly as they state, keep the boat clean and finish on time... I like to communicate in writing and they have been good on that... IDK if they do pickup and delivery but im sure most places do anymore..

Thanks, I will reach out to them.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Barrett has there shit together, my wife calls it the Nordstroms of boat shops in Havasu. I had to book my annual 5 months in advance though, and Im sure its more money then some shops, $2500 for twins, but for the level of service they provide I think its worth it. They give you a date, your boat has a spot inside for that date and they work on it that day. My boat was done the next day. Nothing pisses me off then the normal, book your date for drop off and then it sits in their lot for a week.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I had good luck with Iguana Marine. They are a sponsor here. They called me a couple months ago to see if I wanted to schedule an appointment for service since it had been a year since my last service. 👍

gqchris

Reaction score
Barrett has there shit together, my wife calls it the Nordstroms of boat shops in Havasu. I had to book my annual 5 months in advance though, and Im sure its more money then some shops, $2500 for twins, but for the level of service they provide I think its worth it. They give you a date, your boat has a spot inside for that date and they work on it that day. My boat was done the next day. Nothing pisses me off then the normal, book your date for drop off and then it sits in their lot for a week.
Thanks Walt. My storage is right over there in the "boat shop alley" and when I am returning at night you would shit yourself seeing what sits out in the streets and lots at night.

I am not sure I can wait half a year for an appointment. Would love to, but thats pretty crazy.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Thanks Walt. My storage is right over there in the "boat shop alley" and when I am returning at night you would shit yourself seeing what sits out in the streets and lots at night.

I am not sure I can wait half a year for an appointment. Would love to, but thats pretty crazy.

We just book way ahead based on our trips out here...makes sense to do it that way for us. They usually can wiggle people in a reasonable time but then again nothing has been normal the last year

gqchris

Reaction score
We just book way ahead based on our trips out here...makes sense to do it that way for us. They usually can wiggle people in a reasonable time but then again nothing has been normal the last year
I usually do as well but I have an issue that makes the boat inoperable. In a perfect world, I would book the services a year in advance if I could.

badgas

Reaction score
I had good luck with Iguana Marine. They are a sponsor here. They called me a couple months ago to see if I wanted to schedule an appointment for service since it had been a year since my last service. 👍

I also had good luck with Iguana marine. They picked up the boat from my house and did what they said for the price they quoted. We had boat that had been setting in storage for 6 years and i'm not a boat guy so they could have really raped me and made up all sorts of stuff and they did not.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
JC Marine is a more family type boat shop and does good work, communicates well and try's to live up to what they estimate money and time wise.
My experience with the premier boat shops is that if you don't have a interesting high end boat it will sit in the corner ignored until all the big money boats are taken care of , then when life gets boring they will finally look at your boat and do a half assed job just to get you out the door and out of their hair.

Riverhound

Reaction score
Currently using Quality Marine for basic Merc service and minor repairs with good results. Used Savage back when Steve was still running it and had good results there as well.

dspracing

Reaction score
I really like Chris at Prestige, long term I am sure you would be happy with his service. Skilled, honest, straightforward guy. Not sure if he does the pickup/dropoff thing though.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Mark at Savage Marine just did me a solid - my impeller blew apart right before desert storm (the weekend before!). I knew there was basically no hope in getting it serviced anytime soon without an appointment, but I called Savage Marine on a referral and Mark said bring it down and drop it. I dropped it on Saturday and it was ready by Wednesday, he changed the impeller, chased down all the broken pieces and cleaned the coolers. replaced a melted exhaust coupler and changed the fluids.

He's been around a long time and there is some nice hardware in there, not sure if he picks up / drops off to storage but from my experience Savage did a great job and saved summer......

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I also had good luck with Iguana marine. They picked up the boat from my house and did what they said for the price they quoted. We had boat that had been setting in storage for 6 years and i'm not a boat guy so they could have really raped me and made up all sorts of stuff and they did not.
As did I for having the spray on keel guards installed. Pick up/delivery from my garage on scheduled date. Have not used them for mechanical so no input on that aspect.
I usually do my annuals at end of season/late Fall to avoid any backlogs at the shops. I've used Nordic since owning one.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Regardless of what shop you elect to use, there are somethings to remember.
Havasu is a very laid back atmosphere and many things tend to be agreed on with a wink and a nod. Don't fall into that trap. Follow these steps.
1. Get it in writing so you know what to expect price and time wise.
2. Get valid contact info, not just shop number but also an alternative phone number.
3. Parts is parts but without them shit ain't happening so find out if they stock the parts that are likely to be used for your repair or if they are dependent on outside sources.
4. If it's a bigger project set a schedule for specific target goals and payments. Don't pay up front and don't wait until the project is complete to pay. You have to keep enough money flowing to keep them in the game but if you pay everything up front they have no incentive to complete.
5. If you are suppling some or all parts, (like say the installation of a custom built engine) make sure that all parties understand their responsibilities and the limit of their liabilities.
6. If the shop that you were considering finds all that too much trouble to deal with, go somewhere else.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Always had great service from both Aaron at Absolute and Chris at Prestige both have taken care of when we had some issues that needed to get fixed to get us back on the water ASAP. Not sure how the backlog schedules are now but the prices quoted, work being done were always honest and fair and never had to go back to refix anything they worked on. I hear great things about Shane at @namba860 a member here on RDs that has a shop in Havi...

HBCraig

Reaction score
Mark at Savage Marine just did me a solid - my impeller blew apart right before desert storm (the weekend before!). I knew there was basically no hope in getting it serviced anytime soon without an appointment, but I called Savage Marine on a referral and Mark said bring it down and drop it. I dropped it on Saturday and it was ready by Wednesday, he changed the impeller, chased down all the broken pieces and cleaned the coolers. replaced a melted exhaust coupler and changed the fluids.

He's been around a long time and there is some nice hardware in there, not sure if he picks up / drops off to storage but from my experience Savage did a great job and saved summer......
X 2. He hooked me up big time. Did great work at a fair price.

cole_skier

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know I am asking for a miracle, but can anyone advise me of a shop in Havasu that :

C: Emails or Texts when needed to assure that no lines are crossed in communicating and all expectations are met as promised (I'm not against phone calls either)
D: Will be responsible to grab boat from storage, perform work, and return it without me worrying that it has new scratches.

I am out of ideas. I am an easy customer and in no hurry. Just want to be kept in the loop.

Thanks, please advise.
Chris, give Shane a call at Havasu Marine Specialties 928-412-3808. Had do all the upgrades on my boat over the winter and super responsive and fair and honest.
Tim

JFMFG

Reaction score
I had good luck with iguana they were very helpful and picked my boat up in a pinch.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Another vote for @namba860

My dad had to bring the boat over from another shop after we felt uncomfortable with what they said was wrong with it. I was very glad the boat ended up with Shane. It had a few different issues, and he has fixed it right up. Communicated with updates and got it fixed quickly.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Savage and Barrett have both done my “old toon” solid and treated me just the same as any high end Cat.
I pay my detail guy or a full time friend well to drop off / pick up as I know the boat gets to and from safely.

Last edited:

cxr

Reaction score
Is one supposed to tip if a shop is doing a detail? and a boat service?

Javajoe

Reaction score
Problem are the shops that just can’t say NO when you call and think they can actually do the work but in reality they are way too busy

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
I have used quite a few shops. Never used Barrett but I called on a Sunday one time (think it was maybe forwarded to a cell phone?). Can’t recall what part I needed but AJ met me down there and I picked it up. Thought that was kinda cool.

As of the last 2 years or so, maybe longer, I’ve been using Robert at Coast Motor Group. Can’t say good enough things about them.

ALWAYS available, always texts me updates (and is available by text), doesn’t do shit I don’t ask him to do and pricing is always fair and no surprises. He’s saved my ass a few times and has even went out of his way/gone above and beyond when a few other shops told me to eat shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Nordstrom of boat shops did you mean Nordstrom rack 2500 hundred annual service 500 in parts ok

FishSniper

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks, please advise.
Flat Tops Marine. Never had an issue honest and had it done when they said they would. They will pick up and drop off at storage if needed.