WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu - Garage size to house question...

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Does anyone know the garage size to house percentage that you can do. I would like to add a huge garage in my back yard I am hearing diffent ratio's. Currently the house is right at 2000sf and the attached garage is 900 sf. I am hoping to get over to city hall this week and check with the building dept. but was hoping someone (summitcarl??) might know.

TCHB

Reaction score
My house is 2,000sq ft. and my RV garage is 1800sq ft. Not sure what the ratio actually is in Havasu.

Sun burners

Reaction score
My house is almost 1600sq' garage is almost 1400sq'. Garage is too small.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
I was told by a local builder that the max was 50/50 but I have seen many that have garages over this ratio. I have plans and would like to build a 5400ft in the back.

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score
I believe the code specifies a maximum of 60% coverage on your lot. Coverage is defined as buildings, parking areas, driveways and maneuvering areas. Scroll to the bottom of the linked page, note (7).

We built a garage twice the size of the house. 1200 sq ft house and 2400 sq ft garage.

Garage at Night.jpg

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=jumplink$jumplink_x=Advanced$jumplink_vpc=first$jumplink_xsl=querylink.xsl$jumplink_sel=title;path;content-type;home-title;item-bookmark$jumplink_d=arizona(lakehavasu_az)$jumplink_q=[field%20folio-destination-name:%2714.08.030%27]$jumplink_md=target-id=JD_14.08.030

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
I believe the code specifies a maximum of 60% coverage on your lot. Coverage is defined as buildings, parking areas, driveways and maneuvering areas. Scroll to the bottom of the linked page, note (7).

We built a garage twice the size of the house. 1200 sq ft house and 2400 sq ft garage.

View attachment 393569

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=jumplink$jumplink_x=Advanced$jumplink_vpc=first$jumplink_xsl=querylink.xsl$jumplink_sel=title;path;content-type;home-title;item-bookmark$jumplink_d=arizona(lakehavasu_az)$jumplink_q=[field%20folio-destination-name:%2714.08.030%27]$jumplink_md=target-id=JD_14.08.030

If that is the case, I am golden as my lot is 1.67 acres. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

View attachment 393569

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway....jumplink_d=arizona(lakehavasu_az)$jumplink_q=[field%20folio-destination-name:%2714.08.030%27]$jumplink_md=target-id=JD_14.08.030
I would ask Campbell Carl..........he probably would be the best source here on RDP for that kind of info........From a Realtor perspective I've seen all kinds of stuff including a 950 SqFt house with a 4500 SqFt garage on an R1 lot :cool

The other thing is a quick call to the city............I have found them to be pretty available for these kind of questions on the phone....Good Luck:thumbup:

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
I would ask Campbell Carl..........he probably would be the best source here on RDP for that kind of info........From a Realtor perspective I've seen all kinds of stuff including a 950 SqFt house with a 4500 SqFt garage on an R1 lot :cool

The other thing is a quick call to the city............I have found them to be pretty available for these kind of questions on the phone....Good Luck:thumbup:

How can I be of assistance?

:D

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I was wondering if he meant u or summitKarl

Twisted Liquid Marine

Reaction score

View attachment 393569

Zoning variables:

RA = no coverage limits
RE & R1 = 50% coverage
R2 - R5 = 60% coverage

Note (7) is specific to R5 lots.

The original link is to the LHC building codes. Call Stu Schmeling - Senior Planner/Zoning Administrator 928-854-0714.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
How can I be of assistance?

:D
Oops.....I did mean Summit Karl..............it was late and I spent the previous 2 days laying floor............Sorry Carl/Karl:thumbup:

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Summit Larry says 3000 sqft max at original permit after that you cannot have structure covering more the 65% of the property

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Summit Larry says 3000 sqft max at original permit after that you cannot have structure covering more the 65% of the property

I'm a little slow as I've always had to ride the short bus. Can you explain the 3000sqft max at original permit? Thanks for the help.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I'm a little slow as I've always had to ride the short bus. Can you explain the 3000sqft max at original permit? Thanks for the help.
3000k sqft = new construction on empty lot.
you still in CB. estates? the HOA may have other guidelines, but typically it's 60% - 65% (depending on zoning) of max amount of structure sqft to property sqft so 10k sqft lot can have 6500sqft of structure

I don't know what the HOA will tell you but you can encroach your rear set back if 20' up to 10', if 25' up to 15' but building must be detached with 10' between eves, or 6' between eves if you do not encroach

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
3000k sqft = new construction on empty lot.
you still in CB. estates? the HOA may have other guidelines, but typically it's 60% - 65% (depending on zoning) of max amount of structure sqft to property sqft so 10k sqft lot can have 6500sqft of structure

I don't know what the HOA will tell you but you can encroach your rear set back if 20' up to 10', if 25' up to 15' but building must be detached with 10' between eves, or 6' between eves if you do not encroach

Ok, that makes sense. No, moved out of the estates a few years ago and this home is in the center of town. So being on 1.67 acres sounds like the only limit to my size will be my damn bank account. Thanks for all the info.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. No, moved out of the estates a few years ago and this home is in the center of town. So being on 1.67 acres sounds like the only limit to my size will be my damn bank account. Thanks for all the info.

let me know if anything I can do to help, it don't cost anything for me to stop bye and look at what you want to do. Things are getting strict at the LHC building dept, whole lot of new changes and procedures

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
let me know if anything I can do to help, it don't cost anything for me to stop bye and look at what you want to do. Things are getting strict at the LHC building dept, whole lot of new changes and procedures

Will do!

BajaT

Reaction score
You don't need that much garage to lift the front of my truck! :D

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score

That's why I don't live in the "city". I bought in the County and built a 6,000 sq ft shop and then built a 3,400 sq ft home on just over an acre. I hate building departments and I didn't have to deal with them as I got my use permit just before the County required building permits. Got very lucky on the timing...

Steve

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
That's why I don't live in the "city". I bought in the County and built a 6,000 sq ft shop and then built a 3,400 sq ft home on just over an acre. I hate building departments and I didn't have to deal with them as I got my use permit just before the County required building permits. Got very lucky on the timing...

Steve

hey I know I crossed the 50yr mark a while back, but my memory still works :D

I figure the county plans examiners seeing eye dog must be going blind, I must have sent a dozen plans to the county last year and never heard a word other than "permits ready" :D yet almost the same set goes to LHC and they bleed all over it, the days of first time pass are gone or very rare now and it takes them about 3-4 weeks to review a set of plans. You now also have to get the placement of the house or structure on the lot surveyed before you pour concrete, so you get to pay for 2 surveys now..progress they call it :rolleyes

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Progress your ass. Its get your money and give it to us. You are too stuuuuuuuupid to have it and we want it. That's what the damn City asshats want. It is never "How can we help you?" when you come to the desk either. It's "How can we fuck you?" God I hate em. I am so glad that I don't have to deal with them any more!!!!! I really think that if I hadn't retired when I did you would of read about me in the newspapers. Local builder rep goes postal at City Building Department.:yikes

Steve

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Progress your ass. Its get your money and give it to us. You are too stuuuuuuuupid to have it and we want it. That's what the damn City asshats want. It is never "How can we help you?" when you come to the desk either. It's "How can we fuck you?" God I hate em. I am so glad that I don't have to deal with them any more!!!!! I really think that if I hadn't retired when I did you would of read about me in the newspapers. Local builder rep goes postal at City Building Department.:yikes

Steve

Damn, You're making me all excited to get started on this... :grumble:

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Damn, You're making me all excited to get started on this... :grumble:

that is what I am hear for the city B.S. don't bother me, it is what it is and I just do what they want to get the job done. it makes life much easier ;)

BasilHayden

Reaction score
hey I know I crossed the 50yr mark a while back, but my memory still works :D

I figure the county plans examiners seeing eye dog must be going blind, I must have sent a dozen plans to the county last year and never heard a word other than "permits ready" :D yet almost the same set goes to LHC and they bleed all over it, the days of first time pass are gone or very rare now and it takes them about 3-4 weeks to review a set of plans. You now also have to get the placement of the house or structure on the lot surveyed before you pour concrete, so you get to pay for 2 surveys now..progress they call it :rolleyes

Sounds like they hired building officials from Southern California :yikes

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Sounds like they hired building officials from Southern California :yikes

they did all former SoCal contractors, they are going to show us backwards hicks how to do it now:rolleyes
and it seems they are paying back all the subs for all the years of turn downs they got as contractors :(
the times they are a changing for LHC contractors. lots of rumble going on with the local GC's, don't know if that is just because of change or a revolt is coming.
but like I say "it is what it is", just do it and move on to the next.