WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Kmart closing

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Article about it in the kingman paper. That blows. I like going in there for a change of pace. They have better shoes than Walmart and at least they sell Craftsman. Not a lot but at least some stuff.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I read the article in USA today the other day. they are also closing all the sears in Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

USMC2010

Reaction score
They have been doing a shit job at restocking shelves, they aren't, but what they have has been getting discounted pretty good here and there.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
No Doubt Walmart will move in the Bldg and have incredible success (Walmart Annex)

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Shutting down the nearest Sears about 20 miles away in January. The last one was Sears in 2017 about 10 miles away. It's the end of an era. They own a lot of prime real-estate to be sold off. Craftsman name was bought out and Sears no longer holds it. I gave up on their stuff years ago. The 40-80 year old craftsman hand tools I have that my Dad left me are far superior to anything I have been able to buy at sears in the last 20 years.
Edit to say "buy at sears". Yes I buy high quality tools at other sources. Having a Snap-on plant 7 miles from me is an advantage. :D

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
End of an era for LHC. Can't even think of a store today who could come into that location and replicate what KMart once was in its prime. Seemed the biggest pain in that KMart was checking out. Usually knew what I wanted when I entered, found it in less that 5 minutes then waited 20 minutes at the friggin' check out. IMHO - totally the fault of piss poor management.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I didn’t know K mart was still in business. I thought they had all gone out of business.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
I hope you realize that the Craftsman currently sold at what’s left of sears/Kmart has nothing to do with what it was 10 or more years ago...
That’s the Sad truth, it’s just Chinese junk like all the other Big Box brands.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Sucks to hear.
I actually lived in Havasu when that K mart opened, and it was a big deal for the town.

I remember buying a cassette tape there. Judas Priest
Screaming for Vengeance.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Don't go there too much, but always a bad deal when you lose competition.

RodnJen

Reaction score
End of an era for LHC. Can't even think of a store today who could come into that location and replicate what KMart once was in its prime. Seemed the biggest pain in that KMart was checking out. Usually knew what I wanted when I entered, found it in less that 5 minutes then waited 20 minutes at the friggin' check out. IMHO - totally the fault of piss poor management.

The only way any of the big box stores are staying competitive and relevant is to build their online sales portion of their business model.

The Sears catalogue was the internet of yesterday-year. Sears and Kmart won’t be the last, sadly.

PlanB

Reaction score
I am surprised it lasted this long. It will be interesting to see how long that building sits vacant. The Hastings building has been vacant for many years.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The city was so proud back then they even named that shopping center with the word Mart in it.
If I had to guess I'd say we've been in kmart roughly 3 times a year each year we've come out.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
For 2 years they have been talking about closing it. Wife went there today, nothing but shit , and it still smells like old people.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I remember when the K Mart was built in the late 80’s. Just bought my first house in Havasu a couple years before. Was a big deal at the time.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I remember when the K Mart was built in the late 80’s. Just bought my first house in Havasu a couple years before. Was a big deal at the time.
It wasn’t the late 80s.

Super old guy :D

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
It wasn’t the late 80s.

Super old guy :D
Well I had my house built in 1986 and K Mart wasn’t at its current location at that time. It was a few years after that it was built. Were they in another smaller location some where else in town? Super older guy. :D

SixD9R

Reaction score
Yup the Kmart near me here in Pa. closed last year and I just heard the sears near me is going to close soon as well. As others have said- end of an era for sure. As a homeowner and backyard mechanic I have tons of Craftsman tools but I been forced to move on to other brands.
One decent brand I like is Tekton.
https://www.tekton.com/
Not snap-on but not snap-on prices either.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Sucks to hear.
I actually lived in Havasu when that K mart opened, and it was a big deal for the town.

I remember buying a cassette tape there. Judas Priest
Screaming for Vengeance.
It was actually 1984
Because...I bought the “new” Van Halen tape there too.:rolleyes:

Apparently those two sales were not quite enough to sustain the operation indefinitely.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yup the Kmart near me here in Pa. closed last year and I just heard the sears near me is going to close soon as well. As others have said- end of an era for sure. As a homeowner and backyard mechanic I have tons of Craftsman tools but I been forced to move on to other brands.
The 3 story Sears in Northridge, CA is closing. They are demoing everything back to the concrete structure. I just bid the the new work on 2 levels for future tenants and a new Dicks Sporting Goods which will take most of the 3rd level.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score

This was my experience also, piss poor service, that a shame.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Sad deal.. I always liked that store when I need something random.

The checkout is a joke though for sure.

guest hs

Reaction score
I was told a couple years ago the Havasu Kmart was in the top ten grossing stores in the US

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Look back at the wide scope of products Sears offered. Insurance, tools, appliances on and on. I bought bee hives and bees through the Sears agriculture catalog once.
Poor management killed them. Target and Walmart are flourishing Kmart should have been leading the pack.

Hard to imagine but there is a video out there someplace with Bill Gates saying very early on he didn't see much future with the internet. Might have been a poison publicity pill he said deliberately to get competition off the scent.
Evidently Sears bought into that. The company just seized up like an old Craftsman lawn edger.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Is older guy remember life before Walmart (at least on the West coast) and before the internet and Amazon.

K-mart and Sears were staples. I can’t believe they both folded so easily. I remember reading a Sears catalog as a kid. Pretty much anything you could think of was in there.

I can’t say I shopped in that Kmart more than a handful of times, but I will be sad to see it go. I hate that all the old stores are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
Once in a while you could find good deals on tires, and of course Die Hard batteries.

The Riverside location sits on a sizable amount of land; I'm sure a decent size PUD will go in.

Meanwhile, no problems at the KMart in the OC at Costa Mexico, lol

Man, that Sears catalog was the shiznit growing up. They were the original "Amazon," whoever didn't get on that bandwagon should be...

JBS

Reaction score

Sockets look nice. Thx for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
We used to go to K-Mart, buy all our ammo, beer, sandwiches (little ham sandwiches on rolls, yummy) as we headed out to the desert to go shooting. Same with Fishing. Licenses, tackle, bait, sandwiches, beer, ice, styrofoam ice chest. It was perfect. This was before I even knew what a Walmart was.

2Driver

Reaction score
Its funny today how people think they must have access to so much fucking crap

When we got married and moved to Havasu there was only Yellow Front store. ( a variety store about the size of circle K and most of that was car and boat stuff). No online shopping -nothing, no Walmart no kmart no Home depot or Lowes just a few independent entrepreneur stores.
Twice a year we went to Vegas to shop and the rest of the time we simply enjoyed life on the lake and in the desert.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Its funny today how people think they must have access to so much fucking crap

When we got married and moved to Havasu there was only Yellow Front store. ( a variety store about the size of circle K and most of that was car and boat stuff). No online shopping -nothing, no Walmart no kmart no Home depot or Lowes just a few independent entrepreneur stores.
Twice a year we went to Vegas to shop and the rest of the time we simply enjoyed life on the lake and in the desert.

I'd accuse you of being old as dirt but you're my age.:D

Back in my day all we had was dirt. And we liked it. Sonny...!:mad:

River Runnin

Reaction score
They been closing and raising their prices for the past 4 years! ... I'll believe it when I drive by and see the big middle finger pointing at the closed sign!! :)

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Kmart and Sears in Carson both shut down a few years ago...we’ll see them all go away in coming years I think.

guest hs

Reaction score
You guys that support internet shopping should get use to the brick and mortar stores closing up its your lack of support that is killing these company’s

Dirtbag

Reaction score
You guys that support internet shopping should get use to the brick and mortar stores closing up its your lack of support that is killing these company’s
I agree with you...unfortunately i am one of those people....I dont have to spend gas or more importantly my time....but I agree it sucks....

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yep. We are on our 3rd mega online womens clothing distribution warehouse. 4 levels of pick storage bins inside the warehouse. The current warehouse is going thru major changes in their brick and mortar stores.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Customer service plays a big role too. Couple times so far mentioned people liked shopping at Kmart but hated to checkout process. Checkout is were the business collects money. They should make it a good experience for the customer instead of a dreaded one. McDonalds kiosk order stations, home depot forces you to self checkout after 6, grainger is terrible, whitecap, Ganahl Lumber, Sepulveda building materials, bruegers bagels, McDonalds in Page, and more I've forgotten all are terrible at checkout or when you try to purchase something. I avoid all these places unless I have no choice.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Guess $15 an hour minimum wage is really working...

riverroyal

Reaction score
Id go to Kmart but,,,im on the couch and amazon will have what i need dropped at my door tomorrow. I like to couch

hallett21

Reaction score
Customer service plays a big role too. Couple times so far mentioned people liked shopping at Kmart but hated to checkout process. Checkout is were the business collects money. They should make it a good experience for the customer instead of a dreaded one. McDonalds kiosk order stations, home depot forces you to self checkout after 6, grainger is terrible, whitecap, Ganahl Lumber, Sepulveda building materials, bruegers bagels, McDonalds in Page, and more I've forgotten all are terrible at checkout or when you try to purchase something. I avoid all these places unless I have no choice.

Surprised white cap and Ganahl are on your list.