WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Riviera Build

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Well the day finely came and we broke ground last Friday. Super excited to get this party started!

Excavation and grading should be done this week and masonry contractor is supposed to start sometime next week.

IMG_20211120_124259339_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211120_123949982.jpg
IMG_20211120_124129193_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211120_124158312_HDR.jpg

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Finished grading early last week and now I have hit a bit of a road block. Received my masonry bid for the house and it's double of what my GC and I estimated. I did a material takeoff myself and my GC met with the masonry contractor in his office. He won't budge on price and says it's a reasonable bid and will be cheaper than anyone else in town. Going to start working on other options Monday and hopefully we can get this sorted out soon.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Finished grading early last week and now I have hit a bit of a road block. Received my masonry bid for the house and it's double of what my GC and I estimated. I did a material takeoff myself and my GC met with the masonry contractor in his office. He won't budge on price and says it's a reasonable bid and will be cheaper than anyone else in town. Going to start working on other options Monday and hopefully we can get this sorted out soon.

How much block do you need and what size/style?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
8" block = 2,288 ea.

12" block = 1,205 ea.

Plain grey block, Mixed pallets of bond beam with solid
Are you going to stucco it after?.... I'm not a block guy but could ask my cousin if he as this available. Still would need install.

the only block lingo I know is 8-8-16 lol

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Are you going to stucco it after?.... I'm not a block guy but could ask my cousin if he as this available. Still would need install.

the only block lingo I know is 8-8-16 lol
All of the block is getting stucco or stone on the outside and furred out walls on the inside. The block is 8x8x16 and 8x12x16. Full block is used at the ends of walls and corner's. Bond beam block is depressed on the inside to allow for rebar.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
We finally have movement at my house. Mark at MSJ construction dug the footings for the majority of the house this week. Ordered rebar yesterday for the foundations and the plumber should start next week to get some of the underground in.

Attachments

• 28758.jpeg
    28758.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 28756.jpeg
    28756.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 28753.jpeg
    28753.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 28751.jpeg
    28751.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 120

wet hull

Reaction score
We finally have movement at my house. Mark at MSJ construction dug the footings for the majority of the house this week. Ordered rebar yesterday for the foundations and the plumber should start next week to get some of the underground in.
Are you required to get your footing pad soil compaction tested in Havasu? Your dirt looks solid but just curious.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Are you required to get your footing pad soil compaction tested in Havasu? Your dirt looks solid but just curious.
All of the mass grading and compaction was done by the developers and approved by the city, so no footing compaction test necessary. All of the foundations are in solid rock. When Pioneer did my excavation, we had them rip the rock with a excavator so the footings we're able to be dug. There's about a day or two of rock breaking in a few areas to get the footings a 100%.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Looks like the CMU issue not resolved yet? Just wondering if they are still 2 months out.
All of the bids I received were outrageous and we decided to do all of the foundations ourselves to keep this project on budget. My general contractor is doing most of the leg work and I will bring out my employee's to do the rebar, formwork and lay block.

This is going to add some time to the front end of my build, as I am extremely busy with work in LA. I was ready to pay a small premium to get the work done by local Havasu contractors, but the lowest bid I received was more than double of what it should be.

Mark G

Reaction score
All of the bids I received were outrageous and we decided to do all of the foundations ourselves to keep this project on budget. My general contractor is doing most of the leg work and I will bring out my employee's to do the rebar, formwork and lay block.

This is going to add some time to the front end of my build, as I am extremely busy with work in LA. I was ready to pay a small premium to get the work done by local Havasu contractors, but the lowest bid I received was more than double of what it should be.
I hear you! I wanted to start a build up in Sunridge / Bullhead but the prices are insane. Don't want to eat up too much of my newly obtained retirement funds. Shit, even manafactured homes are a 2 year wait right now. Might just have to swing buy the lot and sit on it with a lawn chair and six pack until this mess cools down. Keep us posted.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Now that it's starting to cool down, I brought my guys out to tie all of the retaining wall footing rebar. We are scheduling inspection for next week and hopefully I will finally have concrete in the ground shortly.

IMG_20220924_141215591.jpg

DWC

Reaction score

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Had a solid work weekend. I lined up two of my crew's to come this weekend, but one crew backed out Friday. With four guys we got 100 l/f of pour in place wall back formed and rebar mostly complete. We also got most of the 6' CMU wall at the back of the toy garage laid.
IMG_20221030_162417473_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221030_162423685_HDR.jpg

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Racer,
Incredibile you have the knowledge and resources to accomplish your progress this week-end. 25 years down the road Riviera will be built out,impossible right now to comprehend the value,for sure beyond what we can imagine.
Well Done. 👍

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Racer,
Incredibile you have the knowledge and resources to accomplish your progress this week-end. 25 years down the road Riviera will be built out,impossible right now to comprehend the value,for sure beyond what we can imagine.
Well Done. 👍
Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to the day my wife and I are having a cocktail on the deck overlooking the lake!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Just caught up on your thread. I'm no expert on construction, but IMHO I think some day in the future you'll be glad you did your own foundation. Looking forward to the progress.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Finished the masonry wall at the back of the garage yesterday. Finished rebar and forming of pour in place wall early today. Spent the rest of the day cleaning
IMG_20221107_123512741_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221107_113433546_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221107_123446499_HDR.jpg
up the work area and we are ready for City building inspection tomorrow morning. Pouring concrete and grouting walls Wednesday morning. I have a full semi load of block coming from Angelus in LA Friday.

Englewood

Reaction score
So jealous of this build. Can’t wait to see it finished. Even with the HOA that is gonna be the place to live in Havasu. The views are untouchable. I’m actually hoping some lots come down in price there. Wishful thinking lol.

DWC

Reaction score
Finished the masonry wall at the back of the garage yesterday. Finished rebar and forming of pour in place wall early today. Spent the rest of the day cleaning View attachment 1170130 View attachment 1170131 View attachment 1170132 up the work area and we are ready for City building inspection tomorrow morning. Pouring concrete and grouting walls Wednesday morning. I have a full semi load of block coming from Angelus in LA Friday.
Pretty badass build. Looking forward to seeing it done. PS. Angelus block is good product and good people. 👍

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
So jealous of this build. Can’t wait to see it finished. Even with the HOA that is gonna be the place to live in Havasu. The views are untouchable. I’m actually hoping some lots come down in price there. Wishful thinking lol.
PM me your price range and I will keep an eye out for a lot. There are lots coming up for sale by owner that are not on the MLS. Also there are people selling their lot's with plans that have decided not to build. There is a private Facebook group for the Riviera and I see what comes up for sale before the general public.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Pretty badass build. Looking forward to seeing it done. PS. Angelus block is good product and good people. 👍
Believe it or not, Angelus makes certain types of common block that is not even available in Havasu.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Believe it or not, Angelus makes certain types of common block that is not even available in Havasu.

What do you going to do about the pallet returns? At 37 a pop it adds up. Last time I ordered a semi of pavers from Angelus was 10 years ago. Pallet fee was not bad rhen and it's not to far from here.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
What do you going to do about the pallet returns? At 37 a pop it adds up. Last time I ordered a semi of pavers from Angelus was 10 years ago. Pallet fee was not bad rhen and it's not to far from here.
I'm buying everything from White Cap. They came today and picked up the return pallets and the form lumber I didn't use. My salesman in LA has been taking all of my orders and handling everything for me. It's one of the benefits of using a nationwide building supply company.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Nice. I thought you bought direct from Angelus. My go to spot is Associated Building Materials. They sell a lot of Angelus pavers and block.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Nice. I thought you bought direct from Angelus. My go to spot is Associated Building Materials. They sell a lot of Angelus pavers and block.
I'm buying full block in Havasu and double open end "H" block from Angelus.

My next challenge is finding scaffolding. Believe it or not, there is not one single scaffolding company in Havasu. Everyone is telling me I have to go to Vegas or Phoenix to rent scaffolding. @monkeyswrench if you want to open a business in Mojave county with ZERO competition, a scaffolding rental company would be a great money maker.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

My next challenge is finding scaffolding. Believe it or not, there is not one single scaffolding company in Havasu. Everyone is telling me I have to go to Vegas or Phoenix to rent scaffolding. @monkeyswrench if you want to open a business in Mojave county with ZERO competition, a scaffolding rental company would be a great money maker.
Hell no! Times get tight, tweakers will bankrupt me!

NicPaus

Reaction score

The local stucco guys have all there own? I have enough scaffolding to do a decent size house. But majority of my planks rotted. I did not use them for a few years. Tarp went bad. A few grand down the drain. Will have to buy new when the city approves the next houses. I will check with CSS in Gardena. Not even sure what they cost these days.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

I ran a scaffolding company for a couple of years. I really dont think there is a demand for it here in Havasu. As mentioned, all the stucco guys have their own frames and they only need a few to do the rv garages. Not many 2 story houses out here.

It almost sounds like a fun venture though! Maybe Im just burnt out with my current j-o-b

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
The local stucco guys have all there own? I have enough scaffolding to do a decent size house. But majority of my planks rotted. I did not use them for a few years. Tarp went bad. A few grand down the drain. Will have to buy new when the city approves the next houses. I will check with CSS in Gardena. Not even sure what they cost these days.
All of the subs have to have their own scaffolding or they are SOL. This is one of the hold ups for certain trades in Havasu, as they don't have enough scaffolding to get a job ready to go prior to starting and also need to wait on other subs using their scaffolding to finish their work.

The wood planks cost more than the steel scaffolding frames. I have been looking and calling trying to figure out my next move.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I ran a scaffolding company for a couple of years. I really dont think there is a demand for it here in Havasu. As mentioned, all the stucco guys have their own frames and they only need a few to do the rv garages. Not many 2 story houses out here.

It almost sounds like a fun venture though! Maybe Im just burnt out with my current j-o-b
There's a lot of other trades that need scaffolding besides stucco guys. There's a lot of 2 story plus construction going on all over Havasu. Between commercial, multi family, three story town homes and 2 story residential there has to be at least sixty jobs under construction and hundreds more in the near future. Shit, the Riviera has 20+ 2 story plus home's under construction as we speak.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yeah the OSHA planks are expensive. CSS in Gardena on 139th if I recall. Was the best place to buy but that was 15 years ago. Last time I was there was 2013. I needed a few pieces.

Not sure what they charge to rent now days. I spent 10k initially for what would of cost 3500 to rent for a month with setup and removal.

If you can't find any options. Let me know how many frames you would need to use. My project is a ways out. I have all the frames, bars, x bars, legs and more. I have also used form boards for planks but that was owner builder with no other trades using it.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
There's a lot of other trades that need scaffolding besides stucco guys. There's a lot of 2 story plus construction going on all over Havasu. Between commercial, multi family, three story town homes and 2 story residential there has to be at least sixty jobs under construction and hundreds more in the near future. Shit, the Riviera has 20+ 2 story plus home's under construction as we speak.

That is a little surprising, how many of those projects have full scaffolding around them? Someone in town has to have the materials.

Setting scaffolding is something that Ill probably never forget. I set for all the trades as well, it was a fun time, if the owner wouldnt have been such a prick I may have stuck with it.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Yeah the OSHA planks are expensive. CSS in Gardena on 139th if I recall. Was the best place to buy but that was 15 years ago. Last time I was there was 2013. I needed a few pieces.

Not sure what they charge to rent now days. I spent 10k initially for what would of cost 3500 to rent for a month with setup and removal.

If you can't find any options. Let me know how many frames you would need to use. My project is a ways out. I have all the frames, bars, x bars, legs and more. I have also used form boards for planks but that was owner builder with no other trades using it.
Thanks for the offer and I will let you know.