WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Riviera up date

hallett21

Reaction score
Btw after taxes $25 a foot on the 600s. Or $1200 a foot in wire (parallel runs). That’s no conduit, digging, vaults, disconnects, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I measured it. 1800 ft is the shortest run. Not including any labor or conduit.

Copper wire only 3.7 million

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
20210915_160239.jpg

What is this area? It looks like it has been established for a long time and it is never shown in any of the advertisements. In fact, it is always covered by the ledgend in the site maps.

Taboma

Reaction score
I measured it. 1800 ft is the shortest run. Not including any labor or conduit.

Copper wire only 3.7 million

You @Taboma and I don't even know what ya talkin about there sparky. 🤔 I haven't run 12KV UG since the early 90's, if you're even talking about med-voltage distribution. But it reads like you're talking secondary voltages. Those secondaries from the Xformers would surely be UG. I'd think the primaries stepped down to 12 or 5KV to feed the padmounts would also be UG.
So I think this is regarding those med-voltage primaries feeding the development ?
I'm not that familiar with the Riviera, other than pics and seeing it from the water awhile back.
If I do a street view drive South on 95, I see two parallel runs of 3Ph maybe 69KV, then they branch off towards the lake, one seems to head south to feed those homes on the lake side of 95, no clue where the other one goes. I'd assume to the Riviera, or maybe the Safety Center, maybe both ???

hallett21

Reaction score
You @Taboma and I don't even know what ya talkin about there sparky. [emoji848] I haven't run 12KV UG since the early 90's, if you're even talking about med-voltage distribution. But it reads like you're talking secondary voltages. Those secondaries from the Xformers would surely be UG. I'd think the primaries stepped down to 12 or 5KV to feed the padmounts would also be UG.
So I think this is regarding those med-voltage primaries feeding the development ?
I'm not that familiar with the Riviera, other than pics and seeing it from the water awhile back.
If I do a street view drive South on 95, I see two parallel runs of 3Ph maybe 69KV, then they branch off towards the lake, one seems to head south to feed those homes on the lake side of 95, no clue where the other one goes. I'd assume to the Riviera, or maybe the Safety Center, maybe both ???

My question is what current/amperage/wattage can you run for 200 homes plus a marina?

My limited knowledge says you cannot go over 600v underground.

If you and @rrrr say differently that’s fine too. But you two might know a thing or two more than myself. [emoji6]

hallett21

Reaction score
You @Taboma and I don't even know what ya talkin about there sparky. [emoji848] I haven't run 12KV UG since the early 90's, if you're even talking about med-voltage distribution. But it reads like you're talking secondary voltages. Those secondaries from the Xformers would surely be UG. I'd think the primaries stepped down to 12 or 5KV to feed the padmounts would also be UG.

Google earth 95 to the water. That’s a load of power either way.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
View attachment 1049807
What is this area? It looks like it has been established for a long time and it is never shown in any of the advertisements. In fact, it is always covered by the ledgend in the site maps.

That where the dreams of rack storage go to die.

Maybe a launch area for city equipment? Maybe storage for the grading equipment? I don't remember if there was actually a road down to that before.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
View attachment 1049807
That where the dreams of rack storage go to die.

Maybe a launch area for city equipment? Maybe storage for the grading equipment? I don't remember if there was actually a road down to that before.
I think it’s the old water safety center, not sure what they use it for now or, it may be a facility for state parks to transfer trash off the water to the dump.

Taboma

Reaction score
My question is what current/amperage/wattage can you run for 200 homes plus a marina?

My limited knowledge says you cannot go over 600v underground.

If you and @rrrr say differently that’s fine too. But you two might know a thing or two more than myself. [emoji6]

Of course you can exceed 600V underground. We spent years retrofitting all the electrical substations on the various military bases in San Diego with all new 12KV 3 phase primary run UG. In fact their systems are all done in a loop, so it can be fed in either direction in case of a fault.
Most all subdivsions in So Cal built in the last 20 years are all supplied off 12 or 5KV primary run UG between distributed padmounted transformers.
I know in places utilities have much higher voltages run UG, but 12KV and 5KV I believe are what you'll find in most housing developments.

My only real experience with this utility type medium voltage was on Government installations. For large housing and golf course developments, we ran the conduits and set the manholes and Xformer pads, SCE installed the cable and set the transformers.
I'm sure we've got a few utility guys on here that can add to or correct me.

I was going to add, my little rural area where we even own the roads was developed in the mid-70's, all our SDG&E primary is 5KV and not only UG, but direct burial 🤯
You best get a locator or that shovels is going to vaporize ☠

Joe mama

Reaction score
We ran 12k all around Cal State Fullerton UG. Edison brought 69k in to the sub station. This was years ago.lol. Cut overs from 4160v to new 12k were some long nights..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 1049807

That is a government facility where they have patrol boats etc. They are supposed to have some agreement to make it look better because a lot of the houses look down on it

hallett21

Reaction score
Of course you can exceed 600V underground. We spent years retrofitting all the electrical substations on the various military bases in San Diego with all new 12KV 3 phase primary run UG. In fact their systems are all done in a loop, so it can be fed in either direction in case of a fault.
Most all subdivsions in So Cal built in the last 20 years are all supplied off 12 or 5KV primary run UG between distributed padmounted transformers.
I know in places utilities have much higher voltages run UG, but 12KV and 5KV I believe are what you'll find in most housing developments.

My only real experience with this utility type medium voltage was on Government installations. For large housing and golf course developments, we ran the conduits and set the manholes and Xformer pads, SCE installed the cable and set the transformers.
I'm sure we've got a few utility guys on here that can add to or correct me.

I was going to add, my little rural area where we even own the roads was developed in the mid-70's, all our SDG&E primary is 5KV and not only UG, but direct burial 🤯
You best get a locator or that shovels is going to vaporize [emoji879]

Is there an insulation rating at that point? My world is 600v.

Taboma

Reaction score
Is there an insulation rating at that point? My world is 600v.

Oh yes young man, there's a whole new world beyond the realm of 600V 😁 ;)
No seriously, from the conduit size, sweep radius, cable pulling tensions, terminations, splicing, Hi-Pot testing, it's all very precise and exacting and the nature of the voltage demands it.
The switch gear itself is an engineering marvel to behold, but errors, even tiny ones, are usually punished by catastrophic and potentially very deadly consequences.

You ask about insulation, or what voltages go in underground conduit --- well Okonite is a big player, although years past we used a lot of Pirelli wire and cable.
Here's a sample spec sheet from Okonite 115/138KV cable and a link to their medium voltage cable catalog.
Look at all the different layers that these cables are constructed of. Each plays a part in not only containing the extremely high voltage, but shielding to mitigate the Corona Effect that result from these high voltages.
When terminating or splicing, each of these layers must be essentially compensated for by draining or continuing, as the splice or termination is built upon layer after layer.
Of course modern technology has perfected termination and splicing kits that are molded and water proof, reducing much of the labor costs associated with the old hand wrapped methods.
Hell, I don't know if there's anybody still alive who can hand wrap a good splice, that's real old school shit right there.

I haven't a clue how expensive this cable is today, but it was treated like gold in the 80's, so you don't want to make estimating or installation mistakes. :oops:

Okoseal-1.jpg

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Owners of my company are having a tough time finding someone to build their houses.

My next door neighbor can't find anyone either and the neighbor next to that is building it himself. Tough time to build anything in Havasu.

Reactions: DWC

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
My next door neighbor can't find anyone either and the neighbor next to that is building it himself. Tough time to build anything in Havasu.
It’s kinda pathetic how slow this thing is moving. How many years to be 50% built out? I’ll say 20

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Yeah, he told me one of the guys owns a framing company or something. He inquired with a few builders in town and they are quoting 5 figures, just to prepare the quote for the build. They already have plans and everything approved by city.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Yeah, he told me one of the guys owns a framing company or something. He inquired with a few builders in town and they are quoting 5 figures, just to prepare the quote for the build. They already have plans and everything approved by city.
Pay them for the privilege to submit bid? That like bank charging you to make a deposit

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
It’s kinda pathetic how slow this thing is moving. How many years to be 50% built out? I’ll say 20

The first neighborhood, Marina View will be close to 50% built out in the next two years. There are 73 lots getting around 68 homes and there is 10 homes under construction now.

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Pay them for the privilege to submit bid? That like bank charging you to make a deposit

They figure if you have the coin tied up in a lot down there, you have the money to pay them whatever they ask.

I talked to a developer last summer that was done with the whole thing. There is 1000 other ways to make more money, much faster, and bailed.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
They figure if you have the coin tied up in a lot down there, you have the money to pay them whatever they ask.

I talked to a developer last summer that was done with the whole thing. There is 1000 other ways to make more money, much faster, and bailed.
There is a lot more to it. The stipulations and fines the development has put on the contractors are ridiculous so a lot have refused/boycotted working in the development.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
There is a lot more to it. The stipulations and fines the development has put on the contractors are ridiculous so a lot have refused/boycotted working in the development.

Fake news. There is a refundable 10K security deposit against damage to the development paid by the homeowner and a 1,500.00 builders qualification fee for the general contractor to pay. There are no other fees or fines what so ever. As of now contractors can work 24/7 at the development.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Fake news. There is a refundable 10K security deposit against damage to the development paid by the homeowner and a 1,500.00 builders qualification fee for the general contractor to pay. There are no other fees or fines what so ever. As of now contractors can work 24/7 at the development.
You’re right. I completely made it up and that is why every single contractor in town is just waiting for the lucky opportunity to work in there.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

AND still no Contractor wants anything to do with it.o_O

Hammer

Reaction score
Why would any reputable builder want to pay a 1,500 “qualification fee” to build in there? Plenty of work elsewhere.

Glad to see progress on the land though.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
You’re right. I completely made it up and that is why every single contractor in town is just waiting for the lucky opportunity to work in there.

I just did all off the paperwork, paid the fees and started my house last Friday. I have read every single page of anything Havasu Riviera has generated and there are no fines or stipulations regarding working in the development what so ever. As a matter of fact, we helped write the CC&R's for the development and there is nothing there regarding fines to contractors.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Why would any reputable builder want to pay a 1,500 “qualification fee” to build in there? Plenty of work elsewhere.

Glad to see progress on the land though.

I agree and its a bullshit add-on fee. The homeowner is really paying for it, not the general contractor.

Hammer

Reaction score
I agree and its a bullshit add-on fee. The homeowner is really paying for it, not the general contractor.
That’s what I would do as a builder. Unfortunately it makes it a turn off for most to want to be a builder. What are the stipulations of the 10k security deposit ? What’s considered damage?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That’s what I would do as a builder. Unfortunately it makes it a turn off for most to want to be a builder. What are the stipulations of the 10k security deposit ? What’s considered damage?

They are just going to pass the price on to the customer anyway...

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Damage to curbs, gutters, street and other utility infrastructure they have in place.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Drove thru last weekend, 6-7 houses well under way. I will say for such huge $$ these houses are right friggin next to each other..
No idea on ramp ect..

DLC

Reaction score
Can anyone drive through there?

asking for a friend

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
It’s a dirt bowl With a handfull of homes being built let’s hope when the rates go up they could still qualify for that great rate 3 baller investors are on the sidelines just waiting no ramp this year hotel is not happening its coming out soon big bill due