WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu RV Garage Addition

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Well it looks like things are starting fall into place with us spending a few months a year in Havasu. When we were looking at properties last year I wanted to find a lot and build a new home. That was not in the cards at that time so we went with a home purchase on the south side of town. Our neighbor/friend informed me that they had their house surveyed and was moving forward with their RV garage build that we had been discussing for 2 years now. So I figured that if I was going to help with his build I might as well build mine at the same time or right after. I created the existing floor plan of our homes in CADD and handed it off to our son, who is an architect. He was able to create a quick 3D modeling to use for discussion purposes. I am interested to see how things go......

F581FAFD-F50F-4CD2-B5CE-685FD127DE8A.jpeg

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Alright looks like we are coming to the mainland and Havasu in a couple of weeks. Our house we surveyed a week ago tomorrow. We are waiting on the CADD files to insert the home layout that we have. I have have the remodel kitchen dialed in and our son is modeling it for the cabinet layouts.

During our travels I hope to dial in what is needed front he planning department as far as detailing the work to be completed. If anyone has any suggestions please post up. If not no worries I have a few contacts that I am reaching out to as well.

👍

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
whats the pad cert for the house???/ you can only be 15' above that, the drawing looks to be about 18'... so you will need to dig down about 3'...

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
whats the pad cert for the house???/ you can only be 15' above that, the drawing looks to be about 18'... so you will need to dig down about 3'...

Yeah, that was a thought of mine as well. I am waiting on the information from the survey company so that I can get the height squared away. I should have the file tomorrow. 👍

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
If you need the rear door to get equipment in your yard, I get it. But if not, Consider a loft across the back for storage. My yard was done when we did the RV garage, plus we have 10' set backs on the side so a CAT could get back there if needed. So a loft made sense for us and provided tons of storage instead of taking up parking space with cabinets. You can see my build in the Construction/Remodel forum. Good luck with the project

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
If you need the rear door to get equipment in your yard, I get it. But if not, Consider a loft across the back for storage. My yard was done when we did the RV garage, plus we have 10' set backs on the side so a CAT could get back there if needed. So a loft made sense for us and provided tons of storage instead of taking up parking space with cabinets. You can see my build in the Construction/Remodel forum. Good luck with the project

That is a good point might have to look into loft and a shorter door on the back. I would like to see and talk to anyone that might have built an RV garage with a limited width. I have options that I am considering similar to Wmc. Grabbing some width by grabbing interior sq ft by moving a few things.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
That is a good point might have to look into loft and a shorter door on the back. I would like to see and talk to anyone that might have built an RV garage with a limited width. I have options that I am considering similar to Wmc. Grabbing some width by grabbing interior sq ft by moving a few things.
I built my RV garage as a owner builder about 15 years ago. I had limited width issues. I used moment beams on both side of the garage door to make it work. I also busted out part of the exterior wall to join the 3 car and RV garage. I like the large back garage door to get the air in the garage moving. And added a bathroom.
IMG_4020.jpg
Havasu 014.JPG
Havasu 013.JPG
Havasu 017.JPG
Rhino and Golf Cart 8-24-09 001.jpg
CCF08252008_00000.jpg
IMG_4022.jpg

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bobby. What is the width that you have on the RV portion of the garage?

Also what part of town are you at and what you your self serve hours on the ice machine? LOL

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bobby. What is the width that you have on the RV portion of the garage?

Also what part of town are you at and what you your self serve hours on the ice machine? LOL

I think its about 12' -13' wide. Not sure the plans are in Havasu.

Ice machine needs a service call. It stopped working last year. :p I just fill up the coffin freezer with ice for now.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Just checked. 13’-3” inside with a 11’-0” wide door.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Thanks for checking Bobby. THat is really helpful.

Tank

Reaction score
If any of you don't mind me asking...What's a ballpark of adding a "basic" single RV garage to the side of a house? When looking at houses in Havasu and find ones that are bitchen but don't have an RV garage, I always wonder how much to slap one in.

NicPaus

Reaction score
If any of you don't mind me asking...What's a ballpark of adding a "basic" single RV garage to the side of a house? When looking at houses in Havasu and find ones that are bitchen but don't have an RV garage, I always wonder how much to slap one in.
From what I have seen $65 a sq ft. About half the price compared to So Cal.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score

I have had a couple of people that I know say that they have had quotes for 60-90K for a 14’x75’. The high side is what NicPaus has noted. I will be running the material cost shortly aNd see what that will be running. I have a couple of guys that will be helping me to frame and finish as well. Just have to put everything to see the final $$$$$

I will be in town Memorial Day Weekend and going to meet with labor, engineer and working with the city for a permit. Will not be starting anything until February at the soonest.

Tank

Reaction score
I have had a couple of people that I know say that they have had quotes for 60-90K for a 14’x75’. The high side is what NicPaus has noted. I will be running the material cost shortly aNd see what that will be running. I have a couple of guys that will be helping me to frame and finish as well. Just have to put everything to see the final $$$$$

I will be in town Memorial Day Weekend and going to meet with labor, engineer and working with the city for a permit. Will not be starting anything until February at the soonest.

You're going to save a ton doing it yourself! That's going to be really nice.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Funny how things change as time goes on. We are still moving forward with our garage. Our friends have a little sticker shock. The pricing that they are getting back on the RV garage is about $130k for the 16’x 60‘.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
It has been a great project so far. Everyone that we have come in contact with have been amazingly nice and helpful.

On 10.05.20 we submitted the drawings to the building department of Lake Havasu City. The website said that they will get back to you within 5 business day. Turns out they are a little backed up. I called 2.5 weeks in and they had not touched it. Once I was asking about it they took a couple of more days.

Turns out that the building department is requiring structural calculations for the garage and trusses. Sooooo after. A few calls we are back on track with calcs getting generated. That should be done the first part of December and we will be resubmitted shortly after. This works out well because we don’t want to start untilMarch when our tenants will be moving our.

Our son also created a rendering of the garage. I am annoyed that he chose the colors tha the did because I like it and now will need to paint the whole house. LOL

6B066000-ACA4-4240-9983-AAEEA5052114.jpeg

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
IT has been a great project so far. Everyone that we have come in contact with have been amazingly nice and helpful.

On 10.05.20 we submitted the drawings to the building department of Lake Havasu City. The website said that they will get back to you within 5 business day. Turns out they are a little backed up. I called 2.5 weeks in and they had not touched it. Once I was asking about it they took a couple of more days.

Turns out that the building department is requiring structural calculations for the garage and trusses. Sooooo after. A few calls we are back on track with calcs getting generated. That should be done the first part of December and we will be resubmitted shortly after. This works out well because we don’t want to start untilMarch when our tenants will be moving our.

Our son also created a rendering of the garage. I am annoyed that he chose the colors tha the did because I like it and now will need to paint the whole house. LOL

View attachment 944378

White and grey is the new tan. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
This is going to turn out nice! I would add a utility sink in the garage and if you ever want an ice machine you’ll need a drain line by the ice maker

6B058886-60A1-40F5-BEDA-C109D26DAF69.png
4895199A-E7B7-42F5-88E2-14E250BD19DD.png

DLC

Reaction score
You could also square off that corner and make it a utility closet so everything is hidden.

0E942923-B800-4E3F-93C7-5B393DE8F0BC.jpeg

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
This is going to turn out nice! I would add a utility sink in the garage and if you ever want an ice machine you’ll need a drain line by the ice maker

View attachment 944406 View attachment 944407

Thanks.

Funny thing is that first image is for our friend’s house that we drew up a while back. Their house is so close to ours in the layout.

I agree on the sink and Ice maker. The issue is that I am not sure if I want to loose the space. The garage is smaller than i wanted because of placement on the lot. I really need to get into the space and see what it is like. I might plumb in the rough in for it and do it at a later date If it will work.

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Thanks.

Funny thing is that first image is for our friend’s house that we drew up a while back. Their house is so close to ours in the layout.

I agree on the sink and Ice maker. The issue is that I am not sure if I want to loose the space. The garage is smaller than i wanted because of placement on the lot. I really need to get into the space and see what it is like. I might plumb in the rough in for it and do it at a later date If it will work.

Once it’s framed you can get an idea for general placement if you want it. We have bar type ice machine ( under cabinet )and I just bag ice and keep it in the freezer, works really well but it would be great to have a big machine that makes 150lbs a day.

The summer heat kills my ice maker. Say a water temp of 90/100 then chill it to below 32 takes forever. I have to use a pre chiller to cool the water before the ice maker. Luckily I got a free refrigerated (chiller) drinking fountain and that pre chills the water before the ice maker. It was a free be off a job site, they wanted it gone!

J&k beer can

Reaction score
We are doing a rv garage build..
We started the process back in February. then the bullshit hit so we wanted to wait n see what would happen in this country..
We decided to move fwd in sept.. everything went up in price and city has been a pain in the ass.. they are busy n take longer then they say.
Plus they approved plans then said nope on inspection and try to put the blame back us..
We have walls up and trusses should be up anytime now..
I won't go into who's(great folks) building it yet or the cost till its done.
But 80k is somewhere up or down.
Its a single rv garage 13x60.
It will have 10.6 wide door and 13 high..
We didnt want to lose any side yard. I can park car hauler or toy hauler on side..

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
We are doing a rv garage build..
We started the process back in February. then the bullshit hit so we wanted to wait n see what would happen in this country..
We decided to move fwd in sept.. everything went up in price and city has been a pain in the ass.. they are busy n take longer then they say.
Plus they approved plans then said nope on inspection and try to put the blame back us..
We have walls up and trusses should be up anytime now..
I won't go into who's(great folks) building it yet or the cost till its done.
But 80k is somewhere up or down.
Its a single rv garage 13x60.
It will have 10.6 wide door and 13 high..
We didnt want to lose any side yard. I can park car hauler or toy hauler on side..

Thanks for the input. I assume you are in Havasu as well?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thanks.

I wasn't able run a drain line to a drain for my ice maker. I attached a clear plastic 1/2" hose and ran it along the stem wall and let it drain out the back garage door.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
garage is just about done..
we used Mitchell Construction.. joe , trevor and teresa are awesome to deal with and just flat out great people..
thank you to william n wendi he posted up his garage build and gave me joes contact info..
he is some pictures..
havasu garage.jpeg
havasu garage 1.jpeg
havasu garage 2.jpeg
havasu garage 3.jpg
havasu garage 5.jpeg
havasu garage 4.jpeg
havasu garage 7.jpeg
havasu garage 8.jpeg
havasu garage 9.jpeg

FishSniper

Reaction score
we used Mitchell Construction.. joe , trevor and teresa are awesome to deal with and just flat out great people..
thank you to william n wendi he posted up his garage build and gave me joes contact info..
he is some pictures..
View attachment 972034 View attachment 972035 View attachment 972036 View attachment 972037 View attachment 972039 View attachment 972046 View attachment 972043 View attachment 972044 View attachment 972045
Mitchell construction did the rear door on our RV garage last summer and we were also very happy with their work.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
he is some pictures..
View attachment 972034 View attachment 972035 View attachment 972036 View attachment 972037 View attachment 972039 View attachment 972046 View attachment 972043 View attachment 972044 View attachment 972045

Looks great. What is the width of the garage as well as the door opening?

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Got the call this afternoon. The plans are approved and ready to be picked up. Woooohooooo!!!! The best part is the cost. somewhere in the $499 range. I guess that i now need to get ready for work in the fall

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
It has been a great project so far. Everyone that we have come in contact with have been amazingly nice and helpful.

View attachment 944378
I would Jamaica wrap the house and do a dash finish on all of it, for the small amout of $ , it would make it all look brand new...also put the amout of brick on the front of the house to tie it all together instead of down the side of the garage....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I built my RV garage as a owner builder about 15 years ago. I had limited width issues. I used moment beams on both side of the garage door to make it work. I also busted out part of the exterior wall to join the 3 car and RV garage. I like the large back garage door to get the air in the garage moving. And added a bathroom. View attachment 872011 View attachment 872013 View attachment 872014 View attachment 872008 View attachment 872009 View attachment 872010 View attachment 872016
nice.... I like how it all ties together and looks like it came that way, the pop outs and Jamaica make it!

135pilot

Reaction score
he is some pictures..
Those wall mounted AC units are great idea! Gonna have to keep this in my back pocket of ideas.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
House roof got a trim and some racing stripes were added today while we were out in Phoenix….

D6236446-30AD-4329-80B9-37BE06C824DE.jpeg

3890262B-90B3-4BF8-B235-B5FB4A8AEB5E.jpeg

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Forgot to add that the survey was done for the corners. That was the what the hold up was from getting started a few weeks. But now we are moving. 👍

919FB84A-6F39-46D0-BBF2-E8F3CE7120EF.jpeg
C254FF17-3DB2-4900-A1D2-24CEC8FB6BBF.jpeg

Springfield

Reaction score
Is Shane doing yours also? I see the yard sign in the last pic.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Is Shane doing yours also? I see the yard sign in the last pic.

Yes, he is. Was going to hold off with the bit of info to the end. I guess that I screwed that one up. Is he doing your’s too?

Joe mama

Reaction score
Well if this thread goes well I’m sure he will get a lot more. Keep up the posting.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
he is some pictures..

Where did you get that 3x 3 metal door above the regular door? Could you get storage bins into the attic through it? Big enough for a person?

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Where did you get that 3x 3 metal door above the regular door? Could you get storage bins into the attic through it? Big enough for a person?
they ordered it from home depot(havasu)..
its the access into the attic.. not a problem getting stuff through it.. biggggerrrrrr person maybe a issues

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Forgot to add that the survey was done for the corners. That was the what the hold up was from getting started a few weeks. But now we are moving. 👍

View attachment 1071782 View attachment 1071783
nice.. finally getting it started..
upgrade things if you can and put outlets and switches were you want and add extras.. there was things on our part we still missed.. we should of had done while it was being built..

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Got the water main relocated and Monday should get the forms set for the concrete. They are hoping to get the concrete poured before Christmas. Ended up changing things around with the mechanicals and put in a few extras like ice maker and soft water outlet in the garage if I ever want to use it for washing cars. Not sure if I will use it much since my wife LOVES to go to the car wash. LOL I spend a good amount of time getting the Jeep dirty only to hat the wife wash it the next day. LOL

FFC02275-5891-4DE1-BBB7-BC82A5582111.jpeg
1C021CC4-72B7-4D5F-AC31-8FC8EA3462CE.jpeg