WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Spring Break - Fizzled?

Tank

Reaction score
We were recently talking about the debauchery of the past and why it stopped. I think cell phone cameras were the cause of death. Nobody wants to be put on YouTube doing questionable shit. The stuff that went on at the sand bar and Copper Canyon back in the day was epic. The young boaters have no idea how mellow it is now in comparison.
Great point. Evidence of the shit that went on would NOT be ok. I was lucky enough to at least catch the end of the copper canyon hey-days in the late 90's and then the party moved to the sandbar. I shit you not, the VERY first time I went to the sandbar when the party transitioned from copper canyon to there, in like 98/ 99 I want to say, we pull up, it's out of control packed memorial weekend I believe. I Beach the boat, see a big group of people all clustered together, walk over to see what's going on....Find a couple chicks on their knees blowing a bunch of guys in a circle, huge group of dudes and chicks cheering them on. I was like, "WTF!?" LOL Then there were the Girls Gone Wild Videos that started there, the house boats with the shows (bikini aka nude contest, that turned into sex shows, etc) on the top deck. Everywhere you look there was some crazy debauchery and nudity and that was when the sand bar packed in hundreds and hundreds of boats and thousands of people. Wild West shit. I will NEVER forget the crazy times there.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I remember the sandbar in the early 2000’s and watching the top of the houseboat with 5-6 chicks getting pounded on the railing by some yoked out dudes with tribal tatoos lol. Pretty epic.

yes the cell phone and social media killed “the party” with jobs looking at social media now no one wants to be caught doing stupid stuff.

PlanB

Reaction score
Great point. Evidence of the shit that went on would NOT be ok. I was lucky enough to at least catch the end of the copper canyon hey-days in the late 90's and then the party moved to the sandbar. I shit you not, the VERY first time I went to the sandbar when the party transitioned from copper canyon to there, in like 98/ 99 I want to say, we pull up, it's out of control packed memorial weekend I believe. I Beach the boat, see a big group of people all clustered together, walk over to see what's going on....Find a couple chicks on their knees blowing a bunch of guys in a circle, huge group of dudes and chicks cheering them on. I was like, "WTF!?" LOL Then there were the Girls Gone Wild Videos that started there, the house boats with the shows (bikini aka nude contest, that turned into sex shows, etc) on the top deck. Everywhere you look there was some crazy debauchery and nudity and that was when the sand bar packed in hundreds and hundreds of boats and thousands of people. Wild West shit. I will NEVER forget the crazy times there.

Always watched for crowds forming at the sand bar. You knew there was some crazy shit going on if it was drawing a crowd.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I had a beer with a long time LHC cop a few years back and he was in the police boat back in the 90's. He said they would always get calls about people left on the rocks in copper canyon and have to go out in the dark and get them, typically their drunk friends would forget about them and leave them behind.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Did someone say, Drildo?! 😳 🤪

Used to love how people would rent those big house boats at Nautical and the first and last thing they say, "don't go to the sandbar!".....Always like 4 houseboats every year at the sandbar. LOL
No shit! Remember a time where a guy with girls dancing up top kicked a drunk in the face as he was climbing the ladder to join them. It was game on, never seen so many people blasting full beers at the guy who did the kicking. That boat got trashed big time and the guy is lucky to be alive. People don’t like cheap shots like that and they showed it in full force.

FlatBottomGuy

Reaction score
the good old days when cheap "party beads" from the dollar store were treated like 100 dollar bills. I will never forget watching a guy sell his wife for beads. Random dude with spiked hair and bandana asked other random dude with spiked hair and bandana (wifes husband) if he could have some fun with his wife, guys answer was "What beads are you going to give her???" Next thing i saw was the exchange of beads and then the wife and her new boyfriend going under the deck of her husbands fountain. Today's sandbars are NOTHING like it used to be.

BigBeto

Reaction score
Late 90’s were some of the greatest memories of Havasu sandbar. It was 1998, I was 18 years old, saved up all year to buy my first boat. A 16’ Rayson craft with 150 mercury wacker. Sunk It leaving the sandbar But the memories were well worth it. Since then I have owned many boats and now Havasu/Parker has become my family’s favorite vacation spot.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I read Newport Beach, CA was advertising "Spring Fling" ...pile 20 dudes in a house on the boardwalk-Good Times

Reactions: DWC

2Driver

Reaction score
Did someone say, Drildo?! 😳 🤪

Used to love how people would rent those big house boats at Nautical and the first and last thing they say, "don't go to the sandbar!".

I still have the pic of that I took while standing below the houseboat. Epic weekend of epic weekends

bk2drvr

Reaction score
My thoughts are that over the past 10 years or so kids fly to more exotic locals for Spring Break, Havasu doesn't really cut it anymore. Kids have more money (or their parents do) and they get on airplanes now headed to their Spring Break destination.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Granted, I’m old now, but I came to Havasu for spring break for the first time in 2004. 22 years old, new truck, new boat, I was living the fucking dream! I fell in love with Havasu that trip, and have been traveling to there ever since. Had to take a few years off when life bitch slapped me back to reality, but the desire to be there never left. I’m a 3-4-5 total times a year visitor now (Still living in Oregon) but that spring break trip 200% shaped me in a LOT of ways!
39 ain't old! Just a different stage.

sirbob

Reaction score
South Beach is the place to be now - hurry down the party is going off!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Cabo and Mazatlan are ' Calling all Spring-Breakers' . . . . there's nothing going on here, move along.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I recall years ago Palm Springs advertised some kind of "Spring Break" event, BIG mistake, drunken fools destroyed Palm Canyon Drive, massive vandalism, looting and riots. I guess the business really baulked the next year saying keep these idiots away. The damage out weigh the added revenue.
AND....I think Huntington Beach-Main Street blew up some years ago too...

boatnam2

Reaction score
I will still always remember the chick de-meating KFC legs of chicken, true talent.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Epic times for sure...

images (7).jpeg
download (3).jpeg
download (2).jpeg

hallett21

Reaction score
Heading out next weekend for my brothers 25th. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Not a single cell of my being finds that attractive.

I’m old.

19-22+ yr old me, yeah I thought it was the best thing and "I'll do this forever"... Today the 38 yr old with a family me... Happy to have had the fun times and lived through it, but I prefer a quiet mellow cove now. I get it.

Water Romper

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score
I recall years ago Palm Springs advertised some kind of "Spring Break" event, BIG mistake, drunken fools destroyed Palm Canyon Drive, massive vandalism, looting and riots. I guess the business really baulked the next year saying keep these idiots away. The damage out weigh the added revenue.

Hell, in the late 60's, Palm Springs was the place to "Spring Break". It was completely off the rails nuts, and the destruction to the local hotels, unbelievable. Police were so outnumbered they couldn't begin to control the masses. That got shut-down quick, as you stated, wasn't worth the carnage.

Water Romper

Reaction score
I think Palm Springs was where I saw my first view of girls riding on the back of a "crotch rocket" wearing just a thong, I thought it was amazing, then, I saw one (bike, guy and girl) go down, hit somthing on the road and slid for at least 50 feet, wasn't amazing anymore.

Taboma

Reaction score
I think Palm Springs was where I saw my first view of girls riding on the back of a "crotch rocket" wearing just a thong, I thought it was amazing, then, I saw one (bike, guy and girl) go down, hit somthing on the road and slid for at least 50 feet, wasn't amazing anymore.

Wait, they had thongs in the late 60's when I was there for Spring Break ? Damn, I was a helpless victim in the wrong riot. 😁 They must have forgotten the annual Spring Break carnage of the 60's or mistakenly thought they could manage it, because with terms like Thongs and Crotch Rockets, we're talking many many years later than when I was there for Spring Break.

HBCraig

Reaction score
It was the OP Pro surf event. It's now called the US Open

Water Romper

Reaction score
Wait, they had thongs in the late 60's when I was there for Spring Break ? Damn, I was a helpless victim in the wrong riot. 😁 They must have forgotten the annual Spring Break carnage of the 60's or mistakenly thought they could manage it, because with terms like Thongs and Crotch Rockets, we're talking many many years later than when I was there for Spring Break.
I was commenting on Palm Springs, not the 60's. I'm thinking it was the late 70's maybe 80's when I saw it, I cant remember the date but I remember the thongs, funny how some things just stick in your mind. 1960- I was 2 years old

Taboma

Reaction score
I was commenting on Palm Springs, not the 60's. I'm thinking it was the late 70's maybe 80's when I saw it, I cant remember the date but I remember the thongs, funny how some things just stick in your mind. 1960- I was 2 years old

I think it was 89', when spring break Palm Springs turned into a riot. In the 60's, it was a lot of partying in the hotels and motels, wall to wall beer cans by morning. Pretty much trashed the place, then they claimed down. Guess 20 years later they'd forgotten and it happened again. 😁

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
From what I hear the town had a lot to do with the decrease in Spring break activity. I agree with Riverdave and think it isn't the best idea for a tourism town.

floatn turd

Reaction score
My worthless 2 cents.

Kids today are different than we were... long ago.😑
Change happens, and sometimes (most times) not for the better.

• The trash left behind during those past "tube floats".
• That crap happening in Florida right now.
• Fights and property damage.
ETC.

They are kind of worthless in my opinion.
But that's just me.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Ok lets open this can of worms. Why did no one complain back in the good ol days that there were too many people at the lake, or the launch ramps were too busy?

Is it because all the current day pontoon owners who tow their botes with F450s that don't drink on the water had 21' boats towed with Ford Rangers and were already drunk by 8AM when this picture was taken?

Asking for @Bpracing1127

:)