WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu summer homes (rented in winter)

baja-chris

Reaction score
Do many of you guys with second homes in Havasu rent them out over the winter to snowbirds?
How does that work out? Would you do it again? Or more trouble than it's worth?

Thinking a walled off RV/Boat garage that I use all year, but only use house and 2 car garage in summer, renting all but the RV garage out in winter.
What are rents like for a new built 1600-1800 3/2 furnished?

TVMNick

Reaction score
Following. Interested in the same thing, been actively searching for something but would like some more info before pulling the trigger.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not Havasu, but used to rent my riverfront place in Needles. Just a doublewide, but a nice one with a good view. We got real lucky, the couple was perfect. Every year they had the cleaning crew out before they left. Never a complaint from them, or neighbors. I think getting the right renters is the hardest part. It made it nice. In my case, it covered space rental for the year...in effect making the place "free".

jones performance

Reaction score
make sure you have rv parking for them. most of them show up in rvs with all sorts of shit in tow.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Look at renting for 2500 to 3000 3 month min get the right agency they handle everything

PlanB

Reaction score
We did it for over 15 years and now don't rent at all. We started with a management company and eventually ended up with regulars the last 11 years that we dealt with directly. They rented for 6-7 months out of the year and paid us directly. We would work with them to set the dates with some adjustability for weather (if there still too much snow for them to drive back to Minnesota). We only raised the rent on them 100 bucks the entire time we were renting because they were easy.

Our house is a 3/2 with a pool, 1/3 acre flat lot on a corner with a ton of parking and it has a central location (1.5 miles from the bridge). If I were to rent again, I would charge about $1800.00 a month. If you use a management company they will take about 20%, and the company we were using was worthless. If you can manage it yourself, you will be better off.

1askydv

Reaction score
I have a 3/2 2000 built home that we rent out t snowbirds every year. (Recently refreshed)
I use a mgmt company that takes 15% and it’s worth it to me...it seems every year there is a call about a leaking toilet that the mgmt co takes care of without me having to deal with it.
We have a walled off and locked boat garage that I keep the boat and off-road toys in which leaves a 2 car garage for the renters. Of the 20 years we’ve had the house we have rented it approx 15 winters and never had a problem. Most of the time you can’t tell anyone had been over the 4 to 5 months they were there.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Do many of you guys with second homes in Havasu rent them out over the winter to snowbirds?

Thinking a walled off RV/Boat garage that I use all year, but only use house and 2 car garage in summer, renting all but the RV garage out in winter.
I have been renting to snowbirds for 35 years in Havasu. Never had to wall off a garage or had them bring a RV.

Started with a rental company then found a snowbird for about 20 years and did it on my own For 6 months a year.

Now back to a rental agency for $1800 a month for 3 months. They get 10%.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We’re planning on doing this starting this fall. If I can rent it out from November the March it should cover about 70% of our mortgage. I don’t need to do this to pay the bills but instead will use the extra income to pay down the mortgage quicker

baja-chris

Reaction score
The hardest part of this for me will be finding a suitable house in Havasu. In addition to a normal 2 car garage, I need 2 stalls 65-70 ft deep for it to make sense (Lg motorhome, 2 boats, and truck or offroad toy). And I don't want to spend over $600k, prefer $500k. I think such a thing is out there, I see them on the SOLD listings, but not on the FOR SALE listings.

FishSniper

Reaction score

We have a setup with a walled off RV garage and our plan was to do the winter snowbird rentals but now after spending more time out there in the winter and enjoying it we may hold off on doing that for a couple seasons. Nice part is the snowbirds would still have the 2 car to be able to use and our storage is still secured.
C8CBC894-BC64-41CE-9979-6E6A81483215.jpeg

Reactions: mjc

DLC

Reaction score
My buddy rents his 3/2 and just gives them a parking stall so they can parking in the garage. He locks up all the good stuff so it doesn’t walk away. A home warranty is good if you self manage - just call the warranty company !

usually if you net work some, talk to snow birds in your neighborhood you can find a good referral ... my buddy had a snow bird guy Accross the street find his birds he would get his friends to rent it so they could wobble home after happy hour!

PlanB

Reaction score
My buddy rents his 3/2 and just gives them a parking stall so they can parking in the garage. He locks up all the good stuff so it doesn’t walk away. A home warranty is good if you self manage - just call the warranty company !

usually if you net work some, talk to snow birds in your neighborhood you can find a good referral ... my buddy had a snow bird guy Accross the street find his birds he would get his friends to rent it so they could wobble home after happy hour!

The only reason we had a home warranty when we were renting.

Reactions: DLC

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
This year was rough being that Snowbirds were hesitant to travel. Hope next year is better. Keep in mind that the rental pool has changed this last year. Our property manager told me that many owner sold and took the cash and ran. Many owners not renting and using the homes themselves. The market is certainly changing.

thetub

Reaction score
just make sure to change yore insurance policy...

make sure to have it insured as a rental with plenty of liability or LLC the property