WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu to Primm UTV ride Nov 5-7

Englewood

Reaction score
Doing a ride from Havasu to Primm on Nov 5-7th.

Nov 5th - Havasu to Primm (155mi)
Nov 6th - Primm to Kingman (165mi)
Nov 7th - Kingman through Hualapai to Wikieup back to Havasu (120mi)

450/500mi total

If you are interested please reply and I'll send you more details. The cost is $100 per UTV for the chase truck driver.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
what's the plan to cross the river?

EDIT: didn't know UTV's were legal on road in NV for less than 2 miles, assuming crossing in laughlin or Aztec Rd

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
according to my gps havasu to primm is not 155 miles. more like 190

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Can a UTV even go 500 miles without breaking ??

Careful, you'll get the golf cart crowd with LOF running point on your ass for that kind of talk.

I've contemplated posting in the Speed UTV thread that even if they do get delivered, they still won't be the best thing out there, but I'm not sure I have enough time in the day to read all the flames that would follow!

Anyway, what's the route from Havasu to Primm? I did a run once to Primm from outside of Laughlin and curious to know if it's the same route.

DLC

Reaction score
I’m interested and I might have a friend interested

Need more info
What is the car limit? How many cars on the ride
Is chase meeting us for fuel stops
Will chase have a trailer?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Careful, you'll get the golf cart crowd with LOF running point on your ass for that kind of talk.

I've contemplated posting in the Speed UTV thread that even if they do get delivered, they still won't be the best thing out there, but I'm not sure I have enough time in the day to read all the flames that would follow!

Anyway, what's the route from Havasu to Primm? I did a run once to Primm from outside of Laughlin and curious to know if it's the same route.
Yea same route

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

You say that as if golf carts aren't beating Ultra 4s in many off road races :)

Last edited:

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Yea same route

Yeah, but what is it? The route I took I created on my own using Google Earth and my knowledge of the NV area on some routes that are probably not very well known by others. Anybody have a file that shows what the route for this ride would be?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah, but what is it? The route I took I created on my own using Google Earth and my knowledge of the NV area on some routes that are probably not very well known by others. Anybody have a file that shows what the route for this ride would be?

PM the OP and ask.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
You say that as if a washed up old Ultra 4 is the best thing out there :) and that UTVs aren't beating Ultra 4s in many off road races :)

You say that as if you know anything that's in my Ultra 4 or how old it is. You and I have already been down this debate road. I won't continue to argue with you because so many of us here are well aware you know everything.

I will say, however, that since we last discussed it, I've had many side by sides (some built with every accessory that could fit) try to keep up. Zero have been able to. I've also learned that all I have to do is go up a nice rock shelf and you guys are toast.

And I do it without having to replace a bunch of parts and for less money than you'll have into your Speed car.:)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
You say that as if you know anything that's in my Ultra 4 or how old it is. You and I have already been down this debate road. I won't continue to argue with you because so many of us here are well aware you know everything.

I will say, however, that since we last discussed it, I've had many side by sides (some built with every accessory that could fit) try to keep up. Zero have been able to. I've also learned that all I have to do is go up a nice rock shelf and you guys are toast.

And I do it without having to replace a bunch of parts and for less money than you'll have into your Speed car.:)

Different tools for different jobs, move on.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Wow, color me impressed.. You beat a golf cart up a pile of rocks. 😂

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Wow, color me impressed.. You beat a golf cart up a pile of rocks. 😂

It's pretty funny how you have to edit your posts to make them more clever than the original. What do you do? Hit "reply", stew on it for a few more minutes, and then say to yourself, "Oh yeah, I should have said that!"

Ol' quick wit strikes again, huh?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's pretty funny how you have to edit your posts to make them more clever than the original. What do you do? Hit "reply", stew on it for a few more minutes, and then say to yourself, "Oh yeah, I should have said that!"

Ol' quick wit strikes again, huh?

Why don't we just leave this at you think you beat a golf cart up a pile of rocks. If you have a bone to pick with me start a new thread.

As far as the edit.. I don't see an edit timestamp there.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Why don't we just leave this at you think you beat a golf cart up a pile of rocks. If you have a bone to pick with me start a new thread.

As far as the edit.. I don't see an edit timestamp there.

That's because you like to use the "edit silently" feature. It is possible for some (like a moderator, maybe?) to edit topics without leaving a time stamp. The fact you are denying the smallest thing like editing your posts shows how insanely unwilling you are to admit you have any faults. It's just weird.

But yeah, you're right. I beat a golf cart up a pile of rocks. :rolleyes: Winning's winning.

ANYWAY....Sorry, OP. Sounds like a fun ride. If anybody has a file or something with a route, I'd be interested to see it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That's because you like to use the "edit silently" feature. It is possible for some (like a moderator, maybe?) to edit topics without leaving a time stamp. The fact you are denying the smallest thing like editing your posts shows how insanely unwilling you are to admit you have any faults. It's just weird.

But yeah, you're right. I beat a golf cart up a pile of rocks. :rolleyes: Winning's winning.

ANYWAY....Sorry, OP. Sounds like a fun ride. If anybody has a file or something with a route, I'd be interested to see it.

I only have that option in the P&G forum. I'm not a mod anywhere else on the site.. so I dunno man.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I'm sorry, Oracle. I thought others viewing this thread might like to see that info as well.

Chill out, guy.

😂🤣😂

Would like to know the route as well!
I can’t attend

havasu to primm seems like I would be longer then that holy crap.
hats off to who ever is organizing this! Please make a thread about this.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
😂🤣😂

Would like to know the route as well!
I can’t attend

Then ask him for it like I said.

A lot of times people put a lot of time and effort into developing their routes. A ride this long might take 10-12 hours at a minimum of work to put together.

Not everyone wants to post their work on the internet for every idiot to go out there and ruin the routes they like and flood their low key destinations.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’ve got a non RDP buddy that’s always spending time tweaking on tracks.

his latest trek is up to 40 hrs of map time! for a 4 day trip

I’m sure he just posts it all up in a public place for everyone to take and use for themselves :) He’s coming to the poker run, right?

Mikes56

Reaction score
I just talked to the wifey. She said “let’s go”.
Hotels every night? Which hotels?
Will we refuel on the trail?
Chase truck carry our luggage and fuel?

Englewood

Reaction score
Been away from computer for few days.

To answer some questions:

1. Hotels every night
2. I will share trip with those who are going.
3. This is not a beginner ride.
4. Be prepared to do 200 mi at most.
Will share more details later.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows
A 200 mile day is a long day it’s a good 10 hrs on the trail with quick 10-15 minute drink / piss stop every 45 minutes to an hour.
to do this for 2, 3 or 4 days can be exhausting. Your typically driving faster / more aggressive and trying to stay alert in the dust, if you get tired you start to drive sloppy and then hit rocks, bush wack, pick bad lines Things can go bad really fast!

throw in a flat tire blown belt or some mechanical issues and it’s a really long day. The bigger the group, the more likely you’ll have long day. You also need to be self sufficient with spare parts, hardware nuts & bolts, belts & tire jack and then tools, cooler snacks and a change of clothes for just in case.

this trip sounds like fun!

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows
A 200 mile day is a long day it’s a good 10 hrs on the trail with quick 10-15 minute drink / piss stop every 45 minutes to an hour.
to do this for 2, 3 or 4 days can be exhausting. Your typically driving faster / more aggressive and trying to stay alert in the dust, if you get tired you start to drive sloppy and then hit rocks, bush wack, pick bad lines Things can go bad really fast!

throw in a flat tire blown belt or some mechanical issues and it’s a really long day. The bigger the group, the more likely you’ll have long day. You also need to be self sufficient with spare parts, hardware nuts & bolts, belts & tire jack and then tools, cooler snacks and a change of clothes for just in case.

this trip sounds like fun!
Well said

we did 200 miles last November in a day and it took us 14 hours that was with some sight seeing stops, lunch, and a few mechanicals including a broken axle.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I know it's very trail dependent, but what sort of average speed do you guys see on your runs?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I know it's very trail dependent, but what sort of average speed do you guys see on your runs?
When we did alamo lake and back in a day. We averaged I think around 27 mph. We are doing 40-50 in the washes and dirt roads and 25-35 on ridge lines and goat trails. That is all depending on trail conditions. Obviously some of it is 5 mph.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

You are hustling but not pushing it. Think 6-7 out of 10 on pace.

It is really about spreading out far so each person is out of the dust, and each person being responsible for the person behind at major direction changes.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
You are hustling but not pushing it. Think 6-7 out of 10 on pace.

It is really about spreading out far so each person is out of the dust, and each person being responsible for the person behind at major direction changes.
Also on a ride like this. Save the beer drinking for night. Other wise is stop every 15 min lol for pee break and refil. Repeat as often as needed

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
All makes sense, I already have another trip planned for this weekend but I won't be involved, but always nerve wracking going on a ride with a new group. You don't want to be "that guy" holding people up or "that guy" driving like a dickhead and breaking their shit.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
All makes sense, I already have another trip planned for this weekend but I won't be involved, but always nerve wracking going on a ride with a new group. You don't want to be "that guy" holding people up or "that guy" driving like a dickhead and breaking their shit.
Very true. As said this is not a beginner ride. If you havnt driven 100+ miles a day in the dirt I would reconsider for a smaller ride to get your feet wet. Patience is required and not driving like a asshole (I know me right) but also being prepared for a breakdown is a must too.

prepping the car before the trip is key to handle any potential issues before they arise.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Very true. As said this is not a beginner ride. If you havnt driven 100+ miles a day in the dirt I would reconsider for a smaller ride to get your feet wet. Patience is required and not driving like a asshole (I know me right) but also being prepared for a breakdown is a must too.

prepping the car before the trip is key to handle any potential issues before they arise.

Yeah 100+ miles doesn't concern me, my longest day in the XX is 170miles and longest day on a bike in the dirt is 220 (race). Where I would be nervous on a trip like this is being prepared for a breakdown. Knock on wood, I haven't broken anything on my xx yet so I wouldn't know what to prepare for. Haven't even smoked a belt yet. Also, because textron/AC only sold like 4 of these things, there isn't much data on common stuff that breaks, except for the transaxle but we aren't replacing that out there.

Things I can think of bringing would be a spare axle, spare steering rack (other common xx issue) and associated nuts and bolts.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yep, I have spare radius rods, steering rods, belts, tire. Beyond that, there is a chase truck here. So that helps.

Englewood

Reaction score
Just got back into town...

To clear some things up...This isn't for everyone with a UTV. This is for experienced riders only who have PREPPED machines. Breakdowns are part of the program, however, a prepped UTV will ensure breakdowns are limited to a minimum.

There is a chance we will get in after dark. Please be willing to go with the flow and enjoy the process. If that does not sound like you, then this isn't the ride for you.

Day 1 Havasu - Laughlin - Primm = 146 Miles
Day 2 Primm - Laughlin - Kingman = 123 Miles
Day 3 Kingman - Wikieup - Havasu = 130 Miles

I've gone 275 in a day in Mexico. Under 150mi isn't too tough. It's a 6-8hr ride including stops, without any major breakdowns. My 10yr old son was my co-pilot last year.

At a minimum, all cars need the following:

- 2 belts
- Spare tire/wheel + Plug kit
- PCI/Rugged Radios w/ race channels
- Good attitude and patience
- Toolkit

I recommend:

- 2nd spare wheel and/or tire
- Portable Charger
- Survival blanket/tent (I've carried for years)
- Snacks/Water/Beer
- Oil/Trans fluid

For the risks...

You could spend a night in the desert (highly unlikely but always a risk). It's part of the adventure. We'd like to get to each spot and have a good time but things CAN happen. At no point will any rider be left behind. We will wait as a group until that rider is picked up.

May need some help on the chase truck driver. My driver is booked but I have the truck/trailer avail ($500+ room and food paid). This isn't a race but we will be going at a good pace to ensure we make good time.

If you're still interested, please confirm.

Last edited:

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Still in for me. Ride will be prepped and ready to go. I have done 190 miles in one day. We had some stops and breakdowns but we did it. All fixable on the trail. Took us 14 hours door to door.

150 miles shouldn’t be any issue in a day with a good pace.

Also recommended helmet with pumper so not breathing dust for 3 days straight

Mikes56

Reaction score
We’re still in.

We did 250ish miles a day, for 7 straight days in Baja, with Off The Grid Expeditions. Long days but the beer tastes so much better when you get where you’re going.