WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu WiFi

franky

Reaction score
I just want to put in a plug for Wirefree Communications. After years of putting up with Suddendisconnect we switched to Wirefree two years ago. They come and set up a small antenna and since then we have had great service with few issues which they look into right away.

After these hideous winds this week we had a problem and called and left a message yesterday. An unbelievably polite and professional tech came today and fixed the issue.

Highly recommend them.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I have suddenlink and on my phone and iPad I have to shut off and turn on my internet on the devices after 10 or so clicks but I’m not smart enough to know if it’s the modem or router.

DLC

Reaction score
I have Shitty Link and knock on wood mine is running great Right Now!

it took over 3 weeks and many many hours on the phone to to get 2 techs out ....

this is so stupid!
Tech one - only does inside the house - guessing he is a noob literally less than an hour after he said all done it’s fixed And 15-20 minutes of work... it’s out again!
2nd tech - actually does the work and found 3 bad connections a missing ground connection, and went up to the pole to the drop connection....

one Sunday I spent 4 hrs on the phone, it’s a minimum of a 1.5 to 2 hour call then you get apology Al, all they can do is tell you how valuable a customer you are and apologize for the Shitty Link....

sintax

Reaction score
I have Shitty Link and knock on wood mine is running great Right Now!

it took over 3 weeks and many many hours on the phone to to get 2 techs out ....

this is so stupid!
Tech one - only does inside the house - guessing he is a noob literally less than an hour after he said all done it’s fixed And 15-20 minutes of work... it’s out again!
2nd tech - actually does the work and found 3 bad connections a missing ground connection, and went up to the pole to the drop connection....

one Sunday I spent 4 hrs on the phone, it’s a minimum of a 1.5 to 2 hour call then you get apology Al, all they can do is tell you how valuable a customer you are and apologize for the Shitty Link....

same situation i had exactly. It took me 3 trips out to FINALLY get internet setup. It seems only the gals down at the suddenlink office know how to code the modems. I finally got tired of sitting on hold and dealing with the jokers in the call center. I know its not much help now with all the virus bullshit, but those gals down there are very nice and helpful. Its been bulletproof since I got it working though.

NEVER CALL...

Reactions: DLC

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I really wanted to use wire free, but their speeds are way to slow for the stuff I do on the internet. We had them at the office and had to switch to suddenlink..

spark2678

Reaction score
Wirefree and be done! Works great. If you are looking for a lot of speed, Wirefree is only 12MBS.

gmnhra

Reaction score
we have wirefree at the islander and I have never done a speed check but with all the COVID crap wife and I have spent tons of time here instead of CA.
Wife on a zoom meeting, me on a webex or zoom, Pandora radio on...never a speed issue...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Never have any trouble with Suddenlink. The new house had a wire free antenna on it and they offered me free wifi if I left it up there, I declined, speeds were not what they needed to be and Suddenlink has always worked great, speeds are higher than my office in California.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I just want to put in a plug for Wirefree Communications. After years of putting up with Suddendisconnect we switched to Wirefree two years ago. They come and set up a small antenna and since then we have had great service with few issues which they look into right away.

After these hideous winds this week we had a problem and called and left a message yesterday. An unbelievably polite and professional tech came today and fixed the issue.

Highly recommend them.

Is wirefree better than HughesNet?

sintax

Reaction score
Is wirefree better than HughesNet?

likely, and a good bit cheaper. The other problems with sat is the latency. Sat should be last resort service. The thing I will say, is this carrier grade wireless has come a LONG way, and its going to only get better. It wont be long until this is how we're all getting our internet.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Is wirefree satellite?
Or wireless to a local base?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
likely, and a good bit cheaper. The other problems with sat is the latency. Sat should be last resort service. The thing I will say, is this carrier grade wireless has come a LONG way, and its going to only get better. It wont be long until this is how we're all getting our internet.

Not in the Springs, it won't be. We have HughesNet and its so slow nearly every device trying to use it comes back with "internet limited". Right now we are trying a cell booster so at least those cell enabled devices can work better without trying to use the WiFi off the HughesNet. But its annoying to hot spot phones to provide better internet to laptops, etc. than HughesNet is capable of.

I'm on the list for Starlink when it comes up for beta in the lower states. I want to try it in the Springs. Hopefully it kicks ass and I can drop HughesNet like last nights prom date.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
According to their website its wireless to a local base. Not sure if its using microwave or what.

That right there should put it way above any satellite option...

In Anderson CA we considered this option over the extremely poor uverse, but at that time we didn’t have good line of sight with their base. Would have needed like a 75’ flagpole or something.
That was over 10 years ago though.

sintax

Reaction score
Not in the Springs, it won't be. We have HughesNet and its so slow nearly every device trying to use it comes back with "internet limited". Right now we are trying a cell booster so at least those cell enabled devices can work better without trying to use the WiFi off the HughesNet. But its annoying to hot spot phones to provide better internet than HughesNet is capable of.

I'm on the list for Starlink when it comes up for beta in the lower states. I want to try it in the Springs. Hopefully it kicks ass and I can drop HughesNet like last nights prom date.

I think you're mixing up my response, anything Satellite based should be last resort, there are a ton of technological challenges that have to be overcome to make this work. The smallest one is the distance between the earth and your sat. Modern tech is not really equipped to handle this type of data link, which is why you get "internet limited". The reason being, its expecting a quicker and more reliable method of transportation for those data packets.

The wirefree thats being mentioned above is not satellite, and more closely related to the wireless service you get from your cell provider, just a different band. THIS is what i'm saying will be the future for things.

sintax

Reaction score
According to their website its wireless to a local base. Not sure if its using microwave or what.

so ya, older tech was microwave. It was legit point to point, and super finicky. I'm not really aware of anyone using that these days.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I think you're mixing up my response, anything Satellite based should be last resort, there are a ton of technological challenges that have to be overcome to make this work. The smallest one is the distance between the earth and your sat. Modern tech is not really equipped to handle this type of data link, which is why you get "internet limited". The reason being, its expecting a quicker and more reliable method of transportation for those data packets.

The wirefree thats being mentioned above is not satellite, and more closely related to the wireless service you get from your cell provider, just a different band. THIS is what i'm saying will be the future for things.

Yeah that’s what I was asking. So it’s point to point wireless, not satellite.

Im no tech guy at all, but I know sat Internet is absolutely the last resort.
On the drill rigs it’s all satellite of course, morning reports can get tricky with everyone trying to send of massive reports and attachments all at once.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I really wanted to use wire free, but their speeds are way to slow for the stuff I do on the internet. We had them at the office and had to switch to suddenlink..
This. My last router speed check with suddenlink was
Yeah that’s what I was asking. So it’s point to point wireless, not satellite.

Im no tech guy at all, but I know sat Internet is absolutely the last resort.
On the drill rigs it’s all satellite of course, morning reports can get tricky with everyone trying to send of massive reports and attachments all at once.
Starlink will be a great when it is finished. My son is using it now and other than not having all the satelites up there it is working great so far.

gqchris

Reaction score

It is point to point WIFI. Pretty much an antenna pointed to base stations that they have throught the city. I almost thought of setting this up a few years back as a business there, but the support I am sure kills you and the winds and monsoons certainly dont help keeping the antennas aimed.

We have pretty good luck with them here in So Cal when we have spots that have no choice in coax or Fiber.