WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Have to pick out a steering wheel today

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For the 12'er.. We are getting close to rigging time. I have always liked the impy "Daytona" wheel and it is what I usually end up buying.. I figured this time around I would ask the membership.. What do you like?

I don't want to go much further then 5-600.00 Looking for a smaller diameter around 11 inches if possible.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412098280.163444.jpg

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
I've had a hell of a time finding anyone having anything in stock most of the summer.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I put one of those in my boat. When RD saw it he told me "you shoulda bought an Impy ya cheapskate." Lol

if they had a pattern that didnt look like it belonged on a 64 impala low rider id rock it...

impygroup.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The bottom left is the Daytona model I always buy.. Lol

gqchris

Reaction score
I've had a hell of a time finding anyone having anything in stock most of the summer.

This is RiverDave we are talking about here, sir! Im sure he will get a supplier to come thru for him:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I put one of those in my boat. When RD saw it he told me "you shoulda bought an Impy ya cheapskate." Lol

Lol... Steering wheels are important to the overall program!!

BUSTI

Reaction score
The one in the bottom right with the grey leather is the last one I had and it was bad ass.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have an Isotta on the cobra and love it!!kind of pricey for a steering wheel though lol

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I've always like the 3 (120*) Spoke tyle ...

Are you planning on doing in wheel Trim Controls?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the turn signal style trim switches. Very functional, look good, easy to use. Go with a small hydraulic jack plate and run the double switch.

While I can appreciate the functionality, it would be pretty hard to make that work in this setup, and make it look even half way good. The steering column is around 24 inches long.. LOL

RD

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
While I can appreciate the functionality, it would be pretty hard to make that work in this setup, and make it look even half way good. The steering column is around 24 inches long.. LOL

RD

Yeah. No. That would just be silliness. :D

shueman

Reaction score
I've got some 6 hole wheels laying around if ya want one...

Attachments

• WP_20140925_001.jpg
    WP_20140925_001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 66

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I appreciate that Sherman, but I am looking for something pretty specific and different. Have a call into Rex to see if they will custom make me what I want.

SLOPOKE

Reaction score
I appreciate that Sherman, but I am looking for something pretty specific and different. Have a call into Rex to see if they will custom make me what I want.

Just get a two or three spoke blank from Rex and make yours custom. Because it is going in a boat you can weld a reinforcement on the back of the hoop before its molded and it wont bend so easy.

SLOPOKE

Reaction score
Simple stuff

Attachments

• SWCLSC.jpg
    SWCLSC.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 53

Moviemoney

Reaction score
I just put a new wheel in the ol girl.. Company is foreversharp.. I'm very happy with my choice.. Kinda old school kinda hot rod kinda modern

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 66

Moviemoney

Reaction score
Not expensive.. With a billit hub and shipped to my door $140

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Simple stuff

What I want is a Daytona, but anodized black. He said he will check to see if he has any in stock. The annodizing presents a problem though because of the foam guys or something? I told him to media blast it and then have it anno'd for a flat black appearance and it would be less likely to get scratched at the foam shop.

If you make those for Rex, I think he is out of daytonas.. Whatever the min run is I might be willing to nut up for (for him) just to get one.. I have pretty much made up my mind that's what I want. If possible though I would like a slightly smaller diameter. 12 inch if possible.

I want it to match the big boat but in black instead if polished..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412142589.674836.jpg

SLOPOKE

Reaction score
You can put some tape on it before foam buy the only place it touches the foam mold is right up by the end of the spoke. The aluminum is polished before mold and the main issue with scratches is the transport to and from. Trivia question.... why are the wheels so small?

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
You can put some tape on it before foam buy the only place it touches the foam mold is right up by the end of the spoke. The aluminum is polished before mold and the main issue with scratches is the transport to and from. Trivia question.... why are the wheels so small?

They only need to turn a couple times side to side for full steering.

Do I WIN! :D

adam909

Reaction score
the black anodizing in the sun turns to brown. .. just my what i have experienced with black an fittings...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I'm ok with a media blast finish.. So that shouldn't be an issue? If your asking why I want it a little smaller it is going in a mini boat.

Brian

Reaction score

Pre polishing of the spokes is done before the foam molding process. Final polishing is done after the molding process and before the leather wrap. The spokes get covered in tape before leather wrapping to avoid glue and needle scratches from the sewing.
I only know of 1 anodized Impy wheel out there. It came out OK.

I personally think you would be happier with a polished wheel. A lot of the detail will get lost if it's all black IMOP.

2Driver

Reaction score
Saw your boat over at Aaron's a couple weeks ago. Looks really nice. It made my lower back hurt just looking at it. :D

SLOPOKE

Reaction score
Pre polishing of the spokes is done before the foam molding process. Final polishing is done after the molding process and before the leather wrap. The spokes get covered in tape before leather wrapping to avoid glue and needle scratches from the sewing.
I only know of 1 anodized Impy wheel out there. It came out OK.

I personally think you would be happier with a polished wheel. A lot of the detail will get lost if it's all black IMOP.

Maybe that is the process now that rex is doing them.

SLOPOKE

Reaction score
They only need to turn a couple times side to side for full steering.

Do I WIN! :D

Nope. Boyd's rims had a billet center section with two spun outer hoops welded. The drops from the spun parts turned into steering wheels and 15" rims were kind of the norm then which only left so big a part to work with. The offset stamping on the Impy's was done at the same place so the size had to be the same.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Love my isotta it's not a baller one but feels good. Don't go small Dave. I live mine because it's bigger and you don't have to battle it to make turns. I want to say it's a 12". You'll be battling a small diameter one.