WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Have you ever "Really" seen a flash flood

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
So in and around many parts of our river communities we have "Washes". Like many of you I've seen and heard Flash Flood warning throughout the years but always thought......who'd be crazy enough to not be able to get out of the way of a FF.

Well.............This video sure brings it home........WOW!!!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Pretty crazy video. You can safely view a nice wash from the top of Cherry Tree every big storm. It is really cool.

Icky

Reaction score
And that's why we started storing the boat in Parker, crossing those Damm things would get the boat filthy

boatnam2

Reaction score
I lived in Hesperia in the late 80's, My whole block got completely washed away, like 10 homes gone expect mine, neighbor saved it with his backhoe by diverting the water, so i wont say it was a major flash flood but pretty solid damage.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Back in the 1978 tropical storm Amelia dumped close to 30 some inches on the TX hill country in a day or so. We had friends camping at Garner State Park which has the mellow Frio River passing through. A flash flood came barreling down the river and left debris 10-15 feet high in the trees. Other areas had camps and villages literally wiped out and numerous deaths. People climbed trees and were stranded for hours. They were the lucky ones.

The Guadalupe River rose 10' in less than an hour. It was unbelievable how quickly it cane and the damage from typically docile creeks and streams
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Amelia_(1978)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I've seen videos of a dude that ran in front of one of these and while filming he was saying if he falls down he's a gonner.

These guys got caught in a rainstorm in Utah navigating a slot canyon. Bad timing.

farmo83

Reaction score
Memorial Day 2016 Lake Travis which is over 70 miles long and plenty wide came up 8 feet in 8 hours.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Memorial Day 2016 Lake Travis which is over 70 miles long and plenty wide came up 8 feet in 8 hours.
Years back, I was in Austin driving down Barton Springs Dr when a thunderstorm let loose......Water coming down the gullies/washes from above was damn near washing cars off the road. Heavy rains and hills can be really bad news.

rivergames

Reaction score
When I was a little grom, my pops and I were heading to the river. Serious rain picked up right after we got to Desert Center. Half way down Rice Road, we had to stop, sit and wait for a while as water was raging through one of the dips. From what I remember, the speed and amount of that water would have took a semi with it

farmo83

Reaction score
8 to 10 hours apart from Perdenales that feeds Travis from the flood I mentioned above.

flood.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I was a little grom, my pops and I were heading to the river. Serious rain picked up right after we got to Desert Center. Half way down Rice Road, we had to stop, sit and wait for a while as water was raging through one of the dips. From what I remember, the speed and amount of that water would have took a semi with it

Dealt with it many times over the years!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So in and around many parts of our river communities we have "Washes". Like many of you I've seen and heard Flash Flood warning throughout the years but always thought......who'd be crazy enough to not be able to get out of the way of a FF.

Well.............This video sure brings it home........WOW!!!

As a matter of fact I have, while driving into Flagstaff from the east. It went rolling through a neighborhood. We barely made it through before it was to deep across highway. There was a gas station slightly elevated that was an island in the middle of the muck and debris. Sadly, we saw on news later it killed a young girl.

Justfishing

Reaction score

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
In Colorado Big Thompson Canyon flooded in 1976. This is by Estes Park.

A year or 2 before we stayed in a cabin literally on the bank of the river. Steep Rocky canyon walls with not much more than the river and the road in many places. When it flooded that time there was no where to go plus it was at night, 144 were killed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...OACQQFgh_MA0&usg=AOvVaw17m_ovsX5rtGssfKRHI0jx

Thanks for posting, a very good reason NOT to camp by a river in a deep narrow canyon.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, a very good reason NOT to camp by a river in a deep narrow canyon.
Lol, that's like saying you won't drive anymore because accidents happen.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Lol, that's like saying you won't drive anymore because accidents happen.

I like limiting my risk when possible. Just knowing things can happen opens your eyes to things you wouldn't normally think of.

I just have to drive a bigger car then everyone else lol

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I often think about this when jeeping or hiking Havasu, the issue is it may not be raining where you are but it is 10 miles up canyon, thats what fucks people, sun is out and life is good but, a few miles up canyon there is a cloud burst and you are toast.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I like limiting my risk when possible. Just knowing things can happen opens your eyes to things you wouldn't normally think of.

I just have to drive a bigger car then everyone else lol
I often think about this when jeeping or hiking Havasu, the issue is it may not be raining where you are but it is 10 miles up canyon, thats what fucks people, sun is out and life is good but, a few miles up canyon there is a cloud burst and you are toast.
Without paranoia, using ones common sense is about all you can do to combat what mother nature dishes out.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
In Colorado Big Thompson Canyon flooded in 1976. This is by Estes Park.

A year or 2 before we stayed in a cabin literally on the bank of the river. Steep Rocky canyon walls with not much more than the river and the road in many places. When it flooded that time there was no where to go plus it was at night, 144 were killed.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...OACQQFgh_MA0&usg=AOvVaw17m_ovsX5rtGssfKRHI0jx

I came close to buying a place at the top of Storm Mountain Road up from Drake. Highway 34 was still closed east of Drake to Loveland to do long term repairs because of previous flooding. The Estes Park realtor told me that the road gets shut down to Estes occasionally as well basically trapping you. During the last flood residents were evacuated but many chose to stay because they were stocked up on supplies and were self sustaining.

I decided not to buy there!

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
You don't need to be by a river. I was camped in Glamis with my friends. Flash Flood came and took out my tent. I was the only one in the camp that got wet. lol. :D

jones performance

Reaction score
seen it wash11's ranch. wasnt raining at his place but it was way off in ashfork, water suddenly came running thru the washes near his place from it.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Seen Sperry wash in Dumont go ape shit in about 5 minutes before.
From narely a trickle to 50 feet wide, 3 ft deep and hauling ass.
Sperry_Wash_Lg.jpg

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
The family and I were at Cottonwood cove putting the boat on the trailer after a day on the water when a flash flood hit. We made it to high ground to watch first hand. First we heard it coming down the canyon then it took out the first two rows of vehicles in the parking lot with mud completely covering them as it pushed them towards the boat ramp. It took a few hours to reopen the road to search light and the docks with the gas pumps were tore up pretty good and they closed the marina for a few days. Our truck and trailer were in 4” of mud and there were snakes everywhere.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
1979 ?

Coolchange and I were at Waterwheel campground in Blythe.. on the river

Midday, during an intense rain, a wall of muddy water came down out of the hills, through the campground and into the river

Mad dash to get the boat on the trailer... not knowing what to expect next

The river was a rootbeer float for a few hours and finally cleared

no casualties, just dirty boats and a lot of debris

nowski

Reaction score
Don't ever take flash flood warnings lightly. These guy's and gal's were all experienced hikers, the weather changed quickly and it cost them dearly. My daughter attended high school where Muku Reynolds (third from the left) had worked... RIP "VHC 7" RIP
zion 2015.jpg

TX Foilhead

Reaction score
8 to 10 hours apart from Perdenales that feeds Travis from the flood I mentioned above.

View attachment 611515
In the Christmas floods of 91 the river hit 200000 cfs. I was living up the road in Dripping Spgs and went to see the Falls, you could feel the ground shaking from 1/4 of a mile away in the parking lot. For those who are familiar with the area, Lake Travis filled up to 710ft, 30 ft above normal, and backed up past the low water crossing on Hamilton Pool rd.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Rice rd have seen and hit many over 60 years

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Had that happen in the University District in Seattle while at work back in 2006. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Record amounts of rainfall and wind were predicted for that day but it started out sunny and we had a schedule to keep. Placed several hundred LFT of colored and stamped concrete sidewalks in the morning. The storm hit us around 4:00pm as we were putting the finishing touches on the concrete and dropping the tarps down. The labor foreman left early and didnt tell me or the Supt. At 5:00pm while me, the Supt and 3 of our engineers and 3 finishers were trying to protect the sidewalks from the 3" of rain we were getting in a couple of hours, we all heard this crazy loud rumble. It was a 3' deep wall of water coming down from Ravenna hill and it plowed through a fence on the property line and washed through our site in a matter of minutes. It was crazy, our boneyard was in a parking lot next to the site and the wave of water floated bunks of 2x4 and plywood instantly washed them up against the site fencing. The fence had zero chance of staying upright and flopped over in to the University of Washington's Oceanic Research facilities parking lot.

When the wall of water flooded their parking lot my boss told me " go in their and let them know whats going on!!". I did and all of the people that worked their ran out, all women I might add. The old grizzley dike bitch that ran that place was always bitching about us and when I told her the parking lot was flooded, she shrieked ( think HRC screech) " what did you assholes due??".The lot had 3' of water in it, I offered to retrieve their vehicles and did. When it was the cunts turn, she gladly handed me her Subaru keys, I felt like tossing them as far as I could, but didn't, becuase I am a man know some women are just fucking stupid. Her car was under water by a couple of feet and was a stick shift. I smoked her clutch driving it out of the pond, didn't need to but she deserved it. Flash floods aren't always bad.

rrrr

Reaction score
I grew up playing in the deserts of Arizona and New Mexico. My parents would let me and my brothers hike miles away from our house.

By the time I was six or seven the dangers of arroyos had been pounded into my head by my dad. We were always aware of distant thunderstorms and the danger of flash floods.

Ol Man

Reaction score
A friend an I were jeeping in the canyons west of Montrose, Colorado a few years ago. We had just gotten his Jeep up a waterfall. It was not raining where we were at the time. As I was walking back to get my Jeep I noticed water starting to run under his. I told the other couple and my wife to go to high ground. I drove my rig up a side wall as high as I could get. Within minutes we had water hood high on his Jeep and the water was running through the door of mine (I had soft doors on that day). It started raining real hard. When the rain and water stopped, we checked his Jeep. The flood had pushed a bunch of boulders in front of his. We decided to leave his Jeep there overnight and come back the next day. Once in town I spent a fortune at the car was trying to get all the muck out of the inside and especially the frame rails. The next day we took a lot of water and bought spray bottles to use to clean sand out of the radiator. We came from the top of the wash. We had to winch a few boulders before we could move his Jeep. We were lucky that no water got in his intake. The air cleaner was dry. It took some work to get him out and a lot of time at the car wash. That was quite a learning experience.