WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Have you noticed that people seem to off-road in the hottest part of the summer now?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I've noticed the past several years that people are out riding dirt bikes, quads and SXS in June, July, and August in the desert. I drive by Outlet Center Drive VERY frequently and notice people out in motorhomes and trucks with quads, dirt bikes and SXS ripping around. I grew up riding out there, OCD, SlashX, Hodge Rd. and when summer came that was it you put your bike away till it cooled off and it was a ghost town out there during those months. Now it seems people are out riding in 105 degrees. Its not crowded like winter but I'm amazed when I'm driving through there and see a bunch of people riding. I came back from the river last Saturday to OC and Outlet Center Drive was sort of crowded with riders. It was 103 degrees outside. Am I soft? I've done it a couple times when I was younger but only lasted about an hour and then left. What the hell is up with people?

Last edited:

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I have noticed it as well. Doesn’t make sense to me, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We see a few every day up on sunset point

lantz

Reaction score
I'm friends with at least a couple of people who do regular summer trips (full moon rides) in Glamis. They hang out in the canal or in trailers during the heat of the day and ride all night and through the coolest part of the morning. They've been doing this for years. For a time there were also several groups that would haul big lights to Olds after the sun set. They'd drag the hill until early morning, and then pack up and go home. The desert after dark is kinda cool. Becuase it's so empty, one lone fire attracts a lot of wildlife. Put your boots on and take snake walks with flash lights and walking sticks. I haven't gone in a long long time because we are at the river. I'll bet with more RVs/trailers with better AC, it's grown in popularity. Also, COVID kinda killed it, but Manataba Park across from the CRIT Library/Archive building in Parker used to be lit up well into the night with softball games and kids in the playground all summer long.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It's a new era.
TH's better insulation + cheap - capable - sacrificial generators.

Nights are in the 60's along Trona rd in Spangler with cool mornings 'till noon and tolerable evenings in the 80's. It's not as hot at that higher elevation as Ridgecrest
Predator 3500 keeps the rigs AC on all afternoon for a few gallons of fuel.
Canned Ham has super lighting for cool night runs.
Wifes a day sleeper,,, we love hitting the trails and bars, TH's windows facing a beautiful desert landscape,, works for us. Especially when it rains.

We'll be in Spangler from from the 24th thru Sept 7th. Simple and easy fun.

Two old buzzards Jim and Bill, 87 and 89 years old respectively have MoHos and box trailers full of toys and are out there all the time. They do donuts, 4 wheel drifts, hill climbs all night long. Their several generations of families come and go and have a blast with all the rolling stock they bring.

Wife organizes a caravan and the girls all head out to fuss over the wild mustangs and burros, hit the goldfish pond, Tonka town,, explore thru the gold mines,,, plenty to do.

Pot luck dinners at the Joint, girls BBQ a ton of food and in route drop some off at the fire stations, challenge racing,, Klu Klux Ray getting kicked out for telling n*gger jokes,,, a friendly crowd of funny locals.

All this and it's only a couple hours away.

Last edited:

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I’m a die hard off-roader but once the temps hit 90F I’m putting the SxS and Dirt Bike away for a nap, and am ready for boating season. Riding when it’s 110F or Nightly Rattle Snake Wrangling sounds awfully temping though, lol 😆 ………… not.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I'm friends with at least a couple of people who do regular summer trips (full moon rides) in Glamis. They hang out in the canal or in trailers during the heat of the day and ride all night and through the coolest part of the morning. They've been doing this for years. For a time there were also several groups that would haul big lights to Olds after the sun set. They'd drag the hill until early morning, and then pack up and go home. The desert after dark is kinda cool. Becuase it's so empty, one lone fire attracts a lot of wildlife. Put your boots on and take snake walks with flash lights and walking sticks. I haven't gone in a long long time because we are at the river. I'll bet with more RVs/trailers with better AC, it's grown in popularity. Also, COVID kinda killed it, but Manataba Park across from the CRIT Library/Archive building in Parker used to be lit up well into the night with softball games and kids in the playground all summer long.
I have heard of people doing this out in Glamis, sounds like it could be fun. I think the struggle would be not drinking yourself stupid all day while cooling off in the canal.

We usually park the dirt toys from April to October.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Also, folks with monthly car-like payments for their SxS, want to get more than a few winter trips out of their toys.

Those payments don’t stop when the weather is warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And they don't have boats

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Outlet center is one of the most used areas for Off-Road race teams for testing, there is at least one team out testing everyday I would guess, and when there is a big race, you'll see an increase in cars testing. Vegas to Reno and the Baja 400 is coming up, so you'll see quite a bit of increased traffic at Outlet Center.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Night runs to the Flying X Saloon or Martini Bay in the Can Am. F'N awesome.
SxS doesn't end for us when the temps rise. We work around it.
BTW:

7c3b0abf-9ccb-46a1-b35a-519a5db4b50e-jpeg.1029848

rivergames

Reaction score
When you got the love to offroad, temps don't matter... I must not love it enough cuz I'm sure as shit not gearing up in 110*+ temps!

DLC

Reaction score
Glamis on a full moon is awesome! Jump in the canal to cool off then ride around, it’s a great time and No dirt bags Unless you bring em with ya!

we do hot trip out to Ocotillo Wells also ! It’s a blast to crawl around in Mars or head out to superstition, stop at the train trellis for a coldie.

years ago my buddy and I took my jeep out for a quick night and a few beers, los pretots was having a poker run and we had a blast running around till 2 am!

outboard_256

Reaction score
I am good till about 110 degree's, then it gets to be not fun.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have heard of people doing this out in Glamis, sounds like it could be fun. I think the struggle would be not drinking yourself stupid all day while cooling off in the canal.

We usually park the dirt toys from April to October.

You sleep all day with the AC full blast...

Easy to do when you were out riding all night. Only go when it's a full moon. You can see better when your headlights are off.

😉

As for riding in the desert during the day?? Yeah, pass.

Cdog

Reaction score
Here in N Scottsdale you can hear them at night. Especially after a monsoon down pour.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
same could be said for boating in the winter.. 🤷‍♂️

there are those that do shit to be one of the "cool kids", then theres the rest that do stuff because they love it and dont give a fuck what others think.
Winter boating in Havasu is nice. Way less idiots, just not as much fun to go for a dip.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
Guys that's when all the deaths happen is in July..

According to Mr assclown that wants to regulate sxs...