Reaction score

sirbob

Reaction score
Dont even think about it !

I totally agree…

I never liked HI.

Tank

Reaction score
Selling our place there. Basically gree up over there part time but the time has come. Moving on.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
LOL Not closed….yet. Still have a few properties to sell there before it is close for our family. I am the last of the generations with assets there. Hopefully that will end soon then the :windowlickers: can enjoy it to themselves. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

C-2

Reaction score
The shit we are going thru on Kauai with our hijacked family vacation property is sickening.

It's completely lawless over there. The courts and law enforcement cannot, or will not help you. A court order is worthless if law enforcement is scared to enforce it.

Greed has driven out natives.

Wait what?

They all cashed out at top dollar, making property taxes and rents unaffordable for those who remain behind. So now they just live wherever the fawk they choose without consideration to whoever owns the property.

We are considering leveling the structures and letting the hau bush turn it into jungle again.

It reminds me of owning a place in Mexico. On paper you own it, but on the ground you are a nothing more than a trespasser.

Think "sovereign citizen" Hawaii edition.

But yes, it's a great vacay spot.

Singleton

Reaction score
Great vacation spot, but would never live full time in Hawaii.

I was asked to transfer to Hawaii back in the early 2000’s and run the KPMG IT Audit practice. That was after commuting to Hawaii for 9 months. Knew the United LA to Hawaii staff very well after that assignment. Thought long and hard, but decided to pass after I convinced folks that one of my staff who was born in Hawaii and wanted to go back was the right resource. He lasted 6 months, then started his own company (sold it to google and retired at 35). KPMG tried again to recruit me back by waving the Managing Director title (one step below partner), but I was already at another company and engaged to get married and said NO. Best decision I made in my career.

Sad to say, but the place went downhill during Covid.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have considered buying a condo over there in one of the market slumps. I love vacationing on the big island.

I would be hard pressed to live there full time. The politics and liberal stupidity of over the top. The current retirement plan is to have a place over there and a primary somewhere like Montana or Idaho. Probably spend 4 months a year there enjoying beach life. but not actually live there. A few weeks here, a month there........

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Parents are moving back--actively looking now.
Mom born and raised there. Tons of family most on Oahu but some on every island. I was born on mainland but grew up there and went to Punahou and Kam schools.
They sold beautiful custom home in Kailua-Kona several years ago just because the lack of medical specialties they needed on Big Island.
So back to Oahu or Maui now.
Crazy bidding wars on homes right now. Nice updated homes under 2MM are gone same day or under a week with multiple offers. Makakilo, Kapolei (no Ewa) all the way to Kane'ohe side is where they are shopping. Single story only is also hard to find.
I always said I would move back and retire there--but to many cars and other things that just wont survive in HI. Maybe part time who knows--I got some time before that comes up..

Reactions: DWC

Heylam

Reaction score
I liken living in Hawaii (I have) to living in a third world country. Hawaii caters to tourists, but lots of poverty within the locals. Definitely a huge gap between those that have and those that don’t. Leads to a lot of crime and drug use.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Parents are moving back--actively looking now.
Mom born and raised there. Tons of family most on Oahu but some on every island. I was born on mainland but grew up there and went to Punahou and Kam schools.
They sold beautiful custom home in Kailua-Kona several years ago just because the lack of medical specialties they needed on Big Island.
So back to Oahu or Maui now.
Crazy bidding wars on homes right now. Nice updated homes under 2MM are gone same day or under a week with multiple offers. Makakilo, Kapolei (no Ewa) all the way to Kane'ohe side is where they are shopping. Single story only is also hard to find.
I always said I would move back and retire there--but to many cars and other things that just wont survive in HI. Maybe part time who knows--I got some time before that comes up..
I was offered a position about 6 months ago to move back. I thought about it for about a week, and declined. The job was the one I wanted back in 2019, but I was under a non-compete with one of their clients. Back then I would have said yes if I could have in a heartbeat. Of my 27 first cousins only about half still live on Oahu. Mom spends about 1-2 months on Molokai and 4 months or so in Kaneohe every year the rest in Havasu. I think when my grandmother is gone, she will move back full time to be around what's left of her generation.. HI is not what it was when I was a kid, and I wouldn't want to raise MaK there at this point though that may change. Going back once or twice a year is enough for me right now..see my friends/family, hit up the old haunts, and then go home.

I still can't believe my in-laws got 1.7 million for a house in Mililani Mauka, Everything in Kaneohe is that range anymore. It's crazy.

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t get it. She is a realtor. And she is telling people to not move there and buy houses? What a marketing genius

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I don’t get it. She is a realtor. And she is telling people to not move there and buy houses? What a marketing genius
A haole transplant telling people not to move to Hawaii....she just looking for publicity.