WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hawaii with a 3-1/2 year or without?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Now the obvious is without. We love taking our little guy places that we go to too. This would be a 7 day vacation and other ext family members will be vacationing there with their 4 year old. For some reason I feel like this is one trip I can’t lead him home. Similar to lake powell. (It’s all about the kids there)

DWC

Reaction score
Now the obvious is without. We love taking our little guy places that we go to too. This would be a 7 day vacation and other ext family members will be vacationing there with their 4 year old. For some reason I feel like this is one trip I can’t lead him home. Similar to lake powell. (It’s all about the kids there)
I’d absolutely take him. No different than a few days at the beach. The biggest hurdle is the plane flight. Benadryl is your friend..

DC-88

Reaction score
We took ours absolutely everywhere which is why I'd say without. One time we were on Oahu with the kids at 5 and 8 and they had a blast in the water but the youngest doesn't even really remember that trip. He fell asleep face down in his food every night at 6 PM, and when we were at the Arizona memorial he stomped his feet really hard during the moment of silence leading directly to the sound of my wife's hand smacking him so frickin' hard it echoed through the entire place, which is still something we laugh about as a family. I just took them and their gf's to Kona a couple years back as young adults and that was much more enjoyable !

TrojanDan

Reaction score
Take him, just make sure you keep to his nap schedule or else your evenings will be miserable. My son has been going every year since he was 7 months old. He’s almost 13 now. Can’t wait until he gets certified to dive with me. I love diving in Hawaii.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We never left our son at home from any trip until maybe high school. That being said I know may who have had adult vacations. We wanted to show the world to our son. In the end he benifited greatly from all of his travels. Has gone to many places that I haven’t.

3EF4C693-224E-4C9B-8C35-1C9F8444587C.jpeg

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I think our twin girls were under two when we took them to Hawaii for 5 days. No they don't remember but the whole family goes when we go.

Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score
Take him, you will have a great time.
We have done trips with our little one and without in Hawaii. when we have the kid, it is more relaxing, we did more family things at different beaches, etc. When we are without the kid we don’t sit still. Wife and I did some killer waterfall hikes that required rope ladders, rock climbing etc. Kicked our ass and we did 3 of those in 4 days. I was exhausted and we never made it to the beach, only the hotel pool.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
He’s not going to remember the trip. If you want to do hikes and exploring, don’t take him or pawn him off in other family members :) Other than that it will be fine. We took our 2 kids like 18 months ago to Hawaii. It was fun, but I’m not taking them on another trip like that for a couple more years.

He does good on the car rides to Havasu, he will be good on the plane ride.

DWC

Reaction score
He’s not going to remember the trip. If you want to do hikes and exploring, don’t take him or pawn him off in other family members :) Other than that it will be fine. We took our 2 kids like 18 months ago to Hawaii. It was fun, but I’m not taking them on another trip like that for a couple more years.

He does good on the car rides to Havasu, he will be good on the plane ride.
6hour plane ride is not the same as the Ian express to Havasu. Nothing some allergy meds won’t fix. ;)
1618194344536.gif

We used to do a yearly family trip to different baseball stadiums every summer. I would pay extra attention to which kid was the most worn out of the 3. They would sit with me on the other side of the aisle. Took a few years for Steph to figure it out.

For the record: Steph said we never used Benadryl or any other illegal substance to put them to sleep. Lots of love. That is all.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
6hour plane ride is not the same as the Ian express to Havasu. Nothing some allergy meds won’t fix. ;)
View attachment 991327

We used to do a yearly family trip to different baseball stadiums every summer. I would pay extra attention to which kid was the most worn out of the 3. They would sit with me on the other side of the aisle. Took a few years for Steph to figure it out.

It depends on the time of the flight for sure. They roll slower when towing, and with traffic :).

Every kid is different. Both ours had 0 problems flying that long from 2-4 years old to our surprise. I was prepared for the worst and was gonna take the benedryl myself :).

We didn’t have the kids in their car seat in the plane, I think that helped because it was “new” along with the plane ride experience. Seemed to keep them entertained for the first hour or two, then they just did the same stuff they do on long car rides.

Just dumb luck they took to it. I guess one thing to be aware of when landing is if they get cranky or pissed they may have some sinus pressure in their head or ears.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Take him. You will never forget seeing the trip through his eyes.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
We took our oldest to Hawaii when she was 1.5 years old and it was great. It's a different trip with kids vs without, but that is part of having a family and the new experiences are lots of fun

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I vote take him. I took my kids Everywhere.

As LOF says, they won't remember it, but my kids trip out on looking at the pics I took of them, at all kinda different places!

They definitely don't remember the whole trip, but they remember bits and pieces, looking at all the old pics.

My daughter says she will always remember looking down at the clouds on from a plane.

From what trip, who knows! LoL

P. S. I replied to the PM you sent me. So tag, you're it!

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Not taking my kids on a trip has never crossed my mind. I had kids to spend time with them and enjoy anything and everything we could, not to pawn them off to family members or friends to watch them.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I could see not taking my dog... but not taking my kids on a trip? Really? My little man remembers everything. They’re little sponges. Same with my daughter. Besides whenever my kids aren’t there with me, I just sit there wishing they were.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
We go annually for two weeks right after Christmas. I would never consider not taking our 4 year old son and teenage daughter, we have taken them since they were infants, we have even let her bring a friend many times, Especially with extended family. It’s all about enjoying through their eyes and as a family. Life is so short. Hawaii is totally a family oriented place. The best place to make memories. I would personally miss my kids way too much in Maui as all you see is families making memories. It’s not like a weekend getaway to Cabo or an all inclusive drink fest at sandals in Barbados. Take the kid and make memories that count with the ones that matter most.
2C71960C-D831-4247-8A41-2FB5A6ADAEB4.jpeg
1E9B10C0-6F00-4F19-9193-2F4BF0692622.jpeg
1D31B556-7A64-4662-9AD2-A55CC4E26BE1.jpeg

Last edited:

sonicss31

Reaction score
In ‘88 took our 4 year old son to HI and it was best vacation ever. No problem on flights from Balto. to St Louis to Honolulu. Thanks for bringing back those memories. :cool:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Oh yeah when you do take him be sure to take him out of the resturant if he becomes fussy or crying. There is nothing worse when you are trying to have a nice dinner and a child is loosing it in a restaurant. It does not take much to take them outside, have a take, get them under control and then return to finish your dinner. I did it many times and the wife made the comment a few days ago about how nice it was that I would do that.

When are you going on vacation?

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
We go annually for two weeks right after Christmas. I would never consider not taking our 4 year old son and teenage daughter, we have taken them since they were infants, we have even let her bring a friend many times, Especially with extended family. It’s all about enjoying through their eyes and as a family. Life is so short. Hawaii is totally a family oriented place. The best place to make memories. I would personally miss my kids way too much in Maui as all you see is families making memories. It’s not like a weekend getaway to Cabo or an all inclusive drink fest at sandals in Barbados. Take the kid and make memories that count with the ones that matter most. View attachment 991383 View attachment 991384 View attachment 991389

Kaanapali? We have done the xmas/ new years trip every year since i was in diapers and keep it going with my daugher when she was born. best time of the year over there!

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My wife and I did a weekend trip to San Diego when our kids were young (Maybe 2 & 4) and it was by far the most relaxed and romantic trip we have ever taken but the whole time we both felt selfish and wished we were sharing the experiences with them.
No one can say you don't deserve adult time and no one can say you must take your kids. We simply found we wanted to take them. They will be gone too soon. They are 14 &16 now and I don't regret any trip they went on.

SamMaxco

Reaction score
lol
Kaanapali? We have done the xmas/ new years trip every year since i was in diapers and keep it going with my daugher when she was born. best time of the year over there!
yes. The Alii in Kaanapali. We just love it. Arrive the 27/28 and stay until the 11th or so. Makes the best way to end one and start another year. The whole family looks forward to it. I love it the most I think 😁👍🏼

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
lol

yes. The Alii in Kaanapali. We just love it. Arrive the 27/28 and stay until the 11th or so. Makes the best way to end one and start another year. The whole family looks forward to it. I love it the most I think 😁👍🏼

Nice We're at the Whaler!

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
We always took our little guy with us. First trip to Oahu he was about 5. Then a few years later was Maui. Then we took him to Oahu again when he was 15. On that trip me, him and his mom all got tattoos. It was his first of many now.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Our 10 year old just spent spring break with the grandparents...flew by herself. We're taking the baby at the end of may for her 1st b-day party (we're from HI). Kids are resilient, they may cry a bit..but its nbd. Our youngest was on her first flight at 3 months...in the middle of the scamdemic...she's flown I think on 5 flights now..longest was from Austin to Seattle. Non-stops are your friend. We will either drive out to Havasu, hang out for a few days then fly from Vegas or we will take a direct from Houston. Plane changes and layovers are the hard ones with kids.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
We took Debs kids once...never took them anywhere again.
We’d even sneak out of the house just to go to dinner without them.
And no...I’ve never been father of the year!