WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hawaiian Oceanfront Yurt Adventure - Guesses?

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I am NOT a camping girl. Not even a glamping girl. This girl goes hotel all the way. But a few weeks ago, when searching for something different to do on my upcoming North Shore Hawaiian vacation, I became intrigued with staying in an oceanfront yurt. I tried talking myself out of it. Why in the world would I want to stay in a fancy tent on the beach where the bathroom was out back? If there was any inclement weather, bugs, or wild animals this would be a bust. I should just stay in Waikiki and be pampered at the Hilton with the herds of other tourists. Then I saw the yurt beach pictures. It was a private, virtually untouched gorgeous strip of deep white sand with that unbelievable turquoise blue tie-dye color ocean. I could sleep just steps away from the water, where I could not only hear but feel the pounding North Shore surf. Be one with the beach. I was sold. I had to try it. I thought I was crazy. But I am a beach girl and this would be either the best or the worst adventure I'd ever done. Does anyone have any guesses on which way it went?

I attached a photo of how close the Yurt was to the ocean for reference and will disclose how my adventure went soon. I can't wait to hear your guesses.
IMG_5551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I guess that you never saw the thread I started after I arrived in Honolulu. LOL. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/team-rdp…-amy.264172/

I hope that you were able to enjoy yourself with all the rain we had in the islands. I assume that you went for the yurt and enjoyed EVERY minute of it. Now we have the rain here is Havasu. Oh well the summer is coming soon!!!!!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I guess that you never saw the thread I started after I arrived in Honolulu. LOL. https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/team-rdp…-amy.264172/

I hope that you were able to enjoy yourself with all the rain we had in the islands. I assume that you went for the yurt and enjoyed EVERY minute of it. Now we have the rain here is Havasu. Oh well the summer is coming soon!!!!!
I saw it now! LOL! We had a great time and did get wet a lot - but coming from the desert we don't mind the rain. It is odd to have it back in Havasu though.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I will stay in a van if it gets me to the north shore lol, i was staying at a nice VRBO on an acre next to skate park for a long time before they blew up the STR on NS for 150 a night, now there isn't much to look at and way over priced, glad I got to enjoy quite a few trips there before it STB.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I'm down for all that if it was a solo trip. I would be fishing all day and wouldn't even care about a shower. If I'm taking the wife though, I'm gonna need a shower lol.

You just compensate by washing her in the ocean also🤣

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
by the way, as a high schooler in the 80s we’d drive out after school on a Friday with a case of beer, surfboard and sleeping bag. We’d stay up drinking in the night. Crash on the sand in the sleeping bag and then get up in the AM to surf most of the day. One weekend I had to return a friend to Hawaii Kai from Pipeline and was able to pull it off in 40 minutes. I want to see someone try that these days. LOL.

Then you have my father who did the same back in the 60s. I really wish that they had cameras back then with them. I guess it was like the Endless Summer Movie. Oh the good old days….

Wayn-o

Reaction score
We stayed in a Yurt in Animas in Baja. It was great. Compsoting toilet has no smell, sun shower, super nice inside.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Did you find a homeless guy in your outhouse?
I had a good friend that used to live in his VW bus on the beach. Never really understood why at the time, guy had a substantial trust fund, a few MM in his accounts--but I understand now that Im older.

Never "camped" on the beach myself. It was always a fishing trip where we would fish from 9-10 at night till about 7-8am. Night time spear fishing is by far the scariest. Remember 3 of us walking out the water with fish on the spike as my Uncle was pulling in a Hammerhead.

Anyway--I hope it was a trip of a lifetime and one worth repeating. Sunsets should have been epic.
If you do it again--try going down to Hale'iwa Boat Harbor during the day and see if any of the fishing charter boats want to sell any fish. You can find the time they are due back by calling their reservation number. The charter guests always get a cut but never take it because they stay at the Hilton in Waikiki and have no way of cooking. So Captains sell to local restaurants or others on the docks

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
LOL! I don't want to give it away yet but yeah sounds spoiled a bit huh?

Totally! Nothing like fresh linens, gas tiki torches, and an ice-cold mai tai served in a pineapple!
Now you’re talking…..some of us like to be pampered.😎

Last edited:

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I will stay in a van if it gets me to the north shore lol, i was staying at a nice VRBO on an acre next to skate park for a long time before they blew up the STR on NS for 150 a night, now there isn't much to look at and way over priced, glad I got to enjoy quite a few trips there before it STB.
Honestly, yeah. Most of the locals stay in their vehicles when they go to the North Shore so you'd be in good company!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I would take the yurt over the Hilton all day long🥳 but I'm a hilllllbilllllly🤦‍♂️
There are definitely strong preferences both ways. The yurt was totally outside my comfort zone but I think that was why it had such appeal.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Yurts are awesome, I would seriously consider one at the cabin for a little extra sleeping space for the kids. But the rest of the family think yurts are to hippy-dippy.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Every time i have ever been there guy is always selling fresh fish at road the goes up to motocross track, pretty awesome track by the way.

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
Yurts are awesome, I would seriously consider one at the cabin for a little extra sleeping space for the kids. But the rest of the family think yurts are to hippy-dippy.
You talking about Mike? I don’t know he is starting to get a little Libby lol

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I'm down for all that if it was a solo trip. I would be fishing all day and wouldn't even care about a shower. If I'm taking the wife though, I'm gonna need a shower lol.
That's totally me too buuuuuut there was something about this yurt...

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
by the way, as a high schooler in the 80s we’d drive out after school on a Friday with a case of beer, surfboard and sleeping bag. We’d stay up drinking in the night. Crash on the sand in the sleeping bag and then get up in the AM to surf most of the day. One weekend I had to return a friend to Hawaii Kai from Pipeline and was able to pull it off in 40 minutes. I want to see someone try that these days. LOL.

Then you have my father who did the same back in the 60s. I really wish that they had cameras back then with them. I guess it was like the Endless Summer Movie. Oh the good old days….
Hawaii Kai and back in 40?! There is no way anymore! The traffic is horrendous now! Sounds like a great way to spend your youth! So jelly!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
We stayed in a Yurt in Animas in Baja. It was great. Compsoting toilet has no smell, sun shower, super nice inside.
Yurts are really neat lodging options. I was totally surprised when I looked more into it how comfortable they make them. Thanks for sharing!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Did you find a homeless guy in your outhouse?
I had a good friend that used to live in his VW bus on the beach. Never really understood why at the time, guy had a substantial trust fund, a few MM in his accounts--but I understand now that Im older.

Never "camped" on the beach myself. It was always a fishing trip where we would fish from 9-10 at night till about 7-8am. Night time spear fishing is by far the scariest. Remember 3 of us walking out the water with fish on the spike as my Uncle was pulling in a Hammerhead.

Anyway--I hope it was a trip of a lifetime and one worth repeating. Sunsets should have been epic.
If you do it again--try going down to Hale'iwa Boat Harbor during the day and see if any of the fishing charter boats want to sell any fish. You can find the time they are due back by calling their reservation number. The charter guests always get a cut but never take it because they stay at the Hilton in Waikiki and have no way of cooking. So Captains sell to local restaurants or others on the docks
We saw the homeless guy but thankfully not in the outhouse!
Holy cow a hammerhead while night fishing IN the water?! Yikes! Sounds a little too exciting to me!
My trip was amazing and the sunsets AND sunrises were spectacular. That is cool to know about fishing charter boats. Thank you for sharing!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Haha - hippy dippy! Yurts are fun and totally perfect for temporary lodging, especially for kids!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Every time i have ever been there guy is always selling fresh fish at road the goes up to motocross track, pretty awesome track by the way.
I love all the fresh farm stands with flowers, fish, and fruit. (that's a lot of F's - say that fast five times! HAHA!)

shock22

Reaction score
Oh but the shark stories. Around 74 friends and I grab the boards and jam up to the North Shoe for crack of dawn surf . Lanikea lined up perfect 5 to 6’ great day on the water no one out could not figure it out . Got home on the news over 10000 sharks mating off shore. Oh well it was uncrowded .

boatnam2

Reaction score
We stayed at a nice pad on NS at chuns in 2015, day after we left guy got his leg taken off at leftovers by a 10-12 foot tiger. My sister who had never been to Hawaii asked me while we swam ever day, is there sharks here, I said nope. Followed the guy after donating to his go fund me page, think he ended up winning gold in surfing in Para Olympics.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
I have been telling the story of a high school friend that had an encounter with a shark. Back in the 90s. I found information on the event.

I think that some of the back story is classic. He worked for his father who was a contractor. The waves were good that morning so he called in sick to work. Only to be on CNN all over the world. BUSTED!!!! Then when I saw him a few months later after I returned to Hawaii. We were surfing our favorite break in Hawaii Kai and I asked him about the event and if it changed his view on surfing. The one thing that I left with is that he is not concerned with being attacked a second time being that the odds are that he will not be attacked again.

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Well.....Let's hear it. How was it? Anymore pictures of the accommodations?
And the answer is... I did both the yurt AND Hilton! The yurt was incredible. I absolutely loved it and the beach was the BEST beach I have sunk my toes into for a long time. The white sand was deep and warm, and the reef went out a ways so the waves really rolled making that perfect-looking white ripple on the turquoise water. We did not see a soul! The entire beach was ours - well with exception of the "moving rocks" that turned out to be lazy seals sunning themselves. The sunrise was spectacular! The gorgeous green mountain cliffs were right behind us, with this dream beach right in front of us. The stars were just unreal and twinkled so brightly. It was just paradise found! I am hooked on the yurt and would absolutely go back.

For those of you wondering what the yurt was like, I have attached a couple of videos. The inside was spacious, with two double bunk beds, a mini fridge, and a microwave. The yurt was built up on an elevated wooden deck that had a patio table set, gas grill, pump-style sink basin, trash can, and deco lighting. The private toilet and shower had no roof so you couldn't leave your TP out or it would get wet during one of Hawaii's quick rains. And the shower did not have hot water so that was probably my biggest issue. (first world issues - LOL!) I not only survived glamping - I LOVED it!

Every camping trip has that one crazy story so
stay tuned for the final yurt story - the bathroom adventure! HAHA!

Attachments

• IMG_5591.jpg
    IMG_5591.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5543.jpg
    IMG_5543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Oh but the shark stories. Around 74 friends and I grab the boards and jam up to the North Shoe for crack of dawn surf . Lanikea lined up perfect 5 to 6’ great day on the water no one out could not figure it out . Got home on the news over 10000 sharks mating off shore. Oh well it was uncrowded .
Holy crap!! That is a crazy story! Glad you are around to tell it! WOW!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
We stayed at a nice pad on NS at chuns in 2015, day after we left guy got his leg taken off at leftovers by a 10-12 foot tiger. My sister who had never been to Hawaii asked me while we swam ever day, is there sharks here, I said nope. Followed the guy after donating to his go fund me page, think he ended up winning gold in surfing in Para Olympics.
Yikes! That would be terrible. I am glad to hear the guy is ok and looks like he did not let that tiger shark get in his way for greatness!

Amy@Team RDP

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I have been telling the story of a high school friend that had an encounter with a shark. Back in the 90s. I found information on the event.

I think that some of the back story is classic. He worked for his father who was a contractor. The waves were good that morning so he called in sick to work. Only to be on CNN all over the world. BUSTED!!!! Then when I saw him a few months later after I returned to Hawaii. We were surfing our favorite break in Hawaii Kai and I asked him about the event and if it changed his view on surfing. The one thing that I left with is that he is not concerned with being attacked a second time being that the odds are that he will not be attacked again.
LOL! Yeah totally busted in the worst way! That is an amazing attitude and a great way to live positively!