WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hay burners?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Of all places Norwalk Ca. They lived directly across the street from us for years. I was their favorite adopted son, the son they never had...
In st g we helped our friends Vickery racing - good people

C-2

Reaction score
Currently we have 3, an Appendix Quarter, a Quarter and a Palomino Quarter. We lost a Paint and an American Warmblood within the past two years. In the past we've had as many as 12 at one time, mostly Paints.

A few goats too, some chickens and 3 feral cats.

My daughter started riding barrels at age 7, but at age 15 she is done with it. Wifey is the horse person, she used to show Western and English.

Daughter was fearless, which scared the crap out of me. Below is her first barrel race, and a pic of Taffy the warmblood and the world's best cattle dog, Hank the Cow Dog; RIP to both.

294616_263990513612276_3247400_n.jpg

11232022_1039955916015728_7849654541309411274_n.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Dad had horses for as early as I can remember, Till the day he passed, You have to love them they are twenty four seven unless your rich enough to pay boarding fees, Had the privliage of feeding en watering, shoveling horseshit, Helping bail hay en straw (in the days when you had two guys on the wagon en two on each side throwin up bales en stackin) learned pretty quick that hay en alfalfa are a hell of a lot heavier than straw. Dad Had some Paliminos and road in parades with THE SHERIFFS POSSE, had the white hats en fancy duds all Paliminos He was a true horse lover. Me not so much, more in the when I park it and winterize it Iam done till next use group

My neighbors growing up had Palominos and were in the Rose Parade every year riding with the mounted posse. My first side job was feeding horses and shoveling horse shit. We boarded a few horses and Brother and I took care of up to a dozen others at times starting at 10 years old. One point we owned a damn feed store. Horses are $$$ and not the smartest creatures. My boat is cheap to own in comparison.

nowski

Reaction score
Speaking of horses my wife just binged watched the whole series of Heartland...

C-2

Reaction score
Speaking of horses my wife just binged watched the whole series of Heartland...

We used to watch it too, it's a cool little show. Reminds me of Little House on the Prairie.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Square bales have strings. Use them......

...Round bales for the most part raising Paints...They roll right out of the PU bed...pretty sure they were more cost effective...gotta keep em dry...

...Maybe a couple of rec. bales of alfalfa for the spoiled show Paints that we’re most of the time barn kept...

...I can hear it all now...Hey...Bill could you go out and throw a flake to the barn horses...while I cook supper???...
...(no flake...no din din)...

Last edited:

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Been into the "horse thing" for the past 32 years, since my youngest daughter was 8. Fortunately she's married now and her horses (six reiners) are now Michael's (son-in-law) problem. A couple of years ago daughter and son-in-law built their own private equestrian center on an eight acre parcel of land in Temecula they purchased several years earlier....an incredible facility. Daughter and grand daughter (now 14) show reiners all over the country. The wife just bought a new western pleasure quarter horse for herself (replacing her all-time favorite horse that died suddenly about 10 months ago). Are they serious about the sport? You bet they are. And is it expensive?....don't ask.

pixrthis

Reaction score
We have two quarter horses at the house that our youngest rides in gymkhanas, barrel races, and advanced drill teams. Went down the English path but stopped before it got stupid expensive.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We do Alfalfa and oat hay everyone ( horses and cows) gets grain every night , cows get more

socalrzr

Reaction score
My family and I raise quarter horses. I have been surrounded by them my whole life.

branier

Reaction score
Growing up, we couldn't afford horses (living in the city) so I rode anyone's horses that I could, which usually meant the crazy ones no one else wanted to ride. I was an adult when I owned my first horse, and I had him for 15 years. My old guy made it to 26, then colic got him this past Sept. He was a TB/Hannoverian warmblood, who got passed to me when he couldn't compete at the level they wanted. He would pack around my novice husband and loved little girls doting on him, but was my fiery low level jumper/dressage dream horse. Man I miss him! I am not in a hurry to get another one just yet, we are about 3 years from retirement and will be moving out of state if all goes according to plan. After the move I will probably get another one or two.

BHC Vic, its hard to tell from the pics but it looks you are feeding your two pygmy goats alfalfa hay, which is perfectly OK. But if you find them getting fat you may want to switch to half grass/half alfalfa or all grass orchard hay for their diet. They are so stinking cute! I can see why you just pulled out the wallet and brought them home.

nowski

Reaction score
I know the Lists. Jens gave me my first shotgun before he passed away.
I was amazed how well Sharon, Rhonda and Dawn did to continue Jen's Legacy.

Jen's offered me a position to work in his shop in Gardena. I turned it down I thought it was to far to drive. He wasn't just pissed I think he was hurt over my decision. Life is based on the decisions we make, looking back that was a blunder on my part...

copterzach

Reaction score
Grew up having horses. Rodeoed all the way through college. No horses rt now but the kids think they want them.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milkmoney

Reaction score
Horses are as expensive as railroad maintenance.......[emoji206][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

socalrzr

Reaction score
Here is one of ours.

Attachments

• CC656C5F-4B15-452A-8F1D-4BB9076AB758.jpeg
    CC656C5F-4B15-452A-8F1D-4BB9076AB758.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 158

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Interesting thread amazed at the "horse" folks here , Just before We got married my wifes' horse collicked (sp) and died I pledged to her I would get her another Horse (and horse property to go with) The Horse for her Was a Registered Half Arab named Star of Rafid/ of "Three bars " linage (Wiley for short) a truly awesome animal he could be ridden even bareback with just a halter, we literally had near unlimited riding area where we lived and roads trails regularly , I volunteered for a reserve Deputy duty with the local SO for some search and rescue and way too many mounted posse parade . We decided years back having livestock was indeed "work" and with growing kids and business our property now gets mowed vs eaten by critters, this thread brought up some good memories from 30 years ago

cowboy tommy.jpg
wiley-mom.jpg

Last edited:

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
We have one at home registered quarter horse... She does the ranch sorting and team penning thing.....I will say that all my shit burns good fuel and is hooked up to a tender when not in use;)

TripleB

Reaction score
Just found out I’m taking 2 yearlings and a 3 year old to Springfield Il tomorrow

C-2

Reaction score
Dang, reading this thread and about colic...reminds me of the animal catastrophe's while away at the river.

Off the top of my head... I lost a reef tank after a snail clogged a line and my mother felt the best way to deal with it was to unplug the tank and lights for 4 days. When I returned home from the river...pea soup.

Another time on Labor Day weekend we were on the ramp at Mead when the 38-year old Mustang went down...for good. Since it was a holiday weekend, we couldn't find a disposal service to pick her up. So, the Mustang sat dead in the stall for 3 days and I feared the worse, but it wasn't bad at all. She was only a little stinky by the time we returned home. That Mustang was older than me at the time!

And then there's all the dog fights...

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Horse catastrophes are usually unexpected and strike quick. Ten weeks ago my daughter's best reiner won good money and several saddles while taking a couple of state year-end championships. Today the same horse has been in the intensive care equine hospital in Bonsall for almost seven weeks, one surgery for a twisted colon and then laminitis set-in due to the stress of the six-hour surgery. In spite of best-of-care available, still no better than a 50/50 chance of pulling through. The on-going vet bill is staggering and still no end in sight.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
This thread is better than average as a place to throw out a shameless plug.
I’ve never had horses, but live in an area with them all around.

Back in October my wife tells me we’re going to a dinner/fundraiser deal and I need to shave.:rolleyes:
Didn’t really know what to expect, sorta dredded going, and had a great time in hindsight.
ACC3BE9C-2B42-482E-B600-B1A5569C1C30.png
B3BF43F9-3E67-4948-86D1-195F5A0AD12F.png
0A486B59-8965-450B-8795-C425E4EBE273.png
0C47B69F-8BBB-490E-9598-9455D33972DF.png
4BD980E1-61A1-41B5-A5AB-E52BFD3187AA.png

They had people of all kinds of issues they are learning to overcome. In addition to kids/adults born with disabilities there were several wounded warriors there representing too.
This was their once a year fund raising deal. They run the place for a year on what they make from this one event.
It’s in the Riverside/Woodcrest area, in the orange groves.
It’s clean, all the pens are plumbed, fans, the barn has plenty of ventilation, all the arenas are lit and well manicured.
Pretty impressive place.
They had a DJ, and a dance floor.
There was this black kid, maybe 24/25ish years old dancing when we got there. He danced the whole time.
As it turns out this kid is a regular there, legally blind.
But put him on a horse in the arena and he’s dunking colored balls in the appropriate colored buckets tacked along the rail around the arena.

They had a raffle, a silent auction, a pretty legit catered taco bar, soda pop of all sorts, wine, and an iced keg on tap:cool:
I’m planning on going again next October.

TripleB

Reaction score
FDC2B849-508E-40FB-B6C2-5E9A285C9378.jpeg
Was at the barn early, now meet the heard

Radar

Reactions: C-2

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have know more then a few very experienced horse people that have had life altering injury from them.

TripleB

Reaction score
EC3E3D96-92B8-45D8-B45B-D2519B374726.jpeg
Windy 12 year old mare, my wife’s main show horse

TripleB

Reaction score
3C59B1B2-B4CC-4AE0-851B-91A44BD76652.jpeg
Wilson our stud, personality wise he’s a 19yo gelding stuck in a studs body:)

TripleB

Reaction score
Plus the outside gang, Hank, Bandit, Jethro, Coco and Chloe

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I won't be showing this thread to wife or daughter...they'd be wanting barn upgrades as well as a couple more head...so the two aren't lonely.

BTW, you have some beautiful animals there, and a nice home for them:)

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
I thought he looked pretty high hipped, any speed or power to him?

TripleB

Reaction score
He’s very strong, he’s stays collected really well at the lope

TripleB

Reaction score
I know we all complain about our hay burners but how many people can say they spend almost every weekend with their family all enjoying the same hobby