WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Head on at Topoc?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
This boater has a structure scan sonar and having trouble staying away from the area! I found the boat that sank at the last 336.
The resolution on this thing is well... remarkable!, Plus I also have a tr-1 Auto-pilot that have a couple programs and will work exceptional for search patterns!
Troubled!... I'll know when I get to the boat tomorrow! :( :(

336? Troubled? Please explain RR, You lost me....:confused:

River Runnin

Reaction score
336? Troubled? Please explain RR, You lost me....:confused:

There was a boat come apart at the Last 336 Enduro. I was Rescue 3 with EMT/Divers on board for the race. when it was over I searched the area and found the top half and divers got a rope on it for recovery.

Rescue3 01.jpg

We had the driver ready when the crane boat got there.

Rescue3 04.jpg

Divers attached to the the top pic.
Rescue3 07.jpg

This was the third 336 maybe fourth, several National ski races, and a couple others races here I've helped out on as a Rescue boat.

Troubled, cuz I feel bad for the loss and haven't went up earlier....

spectracular

Reaction score
Hey River Runnin...do you or does anyone else know if the LEO uses side scan on their boats? Just spent a bunch of time looking at side scan on YouTube. Seems like it’s pretty freaking fantastic for seeing through the water regardless of time of day or water clarity and about 1000x safer than putting divers in the water. I’d rather it was used for fishing though. Amazing tech.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
There was a boat come apart at the Last 336 Enduro. I was Rescue 3 with EMT/Divers on board for the race. when it was over I searched the area and found the top half and divers got a rope on it for recovery.

View attachment 681602

We had the driver ready when the crane boat got there.

View attachment 681603

Divers attached to the the top pic.
View attachment 681604
This was the third 336 maybe fourth, several National ski races, and a couple others races here I've helped out on as a Rescue boat.

Troubled, cuz I feel bad for the loss and haven't went up earlier....

Wow. That's impressive RR. Appreciate you sharing that experience and helping the community with your service.
25 years ago I was a volunteer firefighter for a while and the experience helped change me. Certain callouts were tough to stomach, especially when injured children were involved, but time and experience conditions & numbs you. On the flip side there is no greater high or honor or better feeling than helping someone out of desperate situation or saving a life. :):)

River Runnin

Reaction score
Hey River Runnin...do you or does anyone else know if the LEO uses side scan on their boats? Just spent a bunch of time looking at side scan on YouTube. Seems like it’s pretty freaking fantastic for seeing through the water regardless of time of day or water clarity and about 1000x safer than putting divers in the water. I’d rather it was used for fishing though. Amazing tech.

No Idea what they're using, but would hope they have something along them lines. I'm amazed at what comes across my screen!

rrrr

Reaction score
Damn...I didn't know Sosa died after all that.
I remember hearing several versions of what supposedly transpired.

Schieb was a great guy,everyone liked Steve.
(RIP).

In 2005 I was driving through Kansas, were Steve is buried. I called his sister, got some directions, and visited his grave.

It's in the middle of nowhere in a small town. The family lived there before moving to NM. I was glad to have the opportunity to visit with my friend and roommate again.

Edit: I'm sorry I keep posting OT in this thread. I'll stop now.

I'm really hopeful they can bring Raegan home soon. This is one of the worst boating accidents that's happened in the 17 years I've been a virtual LHC resident.

Last edited:

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I was looking on the net to see if there was any follow up today. Couldn't find it which brought me back into here and then into the above discussion. That is a horrible situation for anybody involved.

Well, I'm not sure about a "snug" fit on a real application unless you are at the doctors office for blood pressure and such. In a real life application (we go this far in training) if you are putting a tourniquet on, the intent is beyond comfortable, and tight enough to cut off the blood flow. There are some issues regarding placement in regards to where the damage to the artery or vein is. Artery's are a bit elastic, and if the injury is up high enough on the limb, it can retract up into the joint. That is why as a matter of practice for the type of application I am concerned with, that tourniquet is going high and tight in the joint every time. As a matter of practice in a non dynamic situation where you are not running from gun fire, 3 inches above the wound is recommended. I don't like that very much because if that puts the application in the middle of a muscle mass, and the victim starts to move, it can come loose. So many factors involved.... If you can remember High and Tight you will be good. I'll take a couple pics of a good application here in a bit so you can see the difference.

Another issue with the old thinking if 3" above the wound is that in the lower arm and the lower leg, the artery actually runs in between the bones which makes it a near impossibility to get good occlusion of the artery.

I was in a range class where a student caught some shrapnel off of steel (brand new steel, fluke thing) right underneath her watch and was a pinprick squirter of the ulnar artery. Instructor took the opportunity to teach and talk through the things he was doing. Since there was still some of the jacket in her arm he didn't do direct pressure and threw the TQ on high and tight and it was crazy watching the squirt diminish with each crank of the windless. When fire/medic showed up, the instructor got lectured about "improper use of the TQ for a small injury, you should have used direct pressure or put the TQ 3in above the injury blah blah blah you better hope her arm isn't permanently damaged" A few weeks later in a post class debrief email that he sent out, the trauma surgeon followed up with him and said he did everything right because there was shrapnel on the ulnar artery and sitting on top of the nerve, direct pressure would have shredded the artery and probably causes irreparable nerve damage.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge they have not found her yet. I have read they are now moving more towards the lake area. I hope they find her soon so that the family may have some closure.

RD

guest hs

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge they have not found her yet. I have read they are now moving more towards the lake area. I hope they find her soon so that the family may have some closure.

RD
Me too I think about her everyday and can just picture that poor girl sitting on the bottom of the lake

Reactions: t&y

j21black

Reaction score
Not to side track the thread but not that long ago there was the “life jacket pledge” deal on there that had hundreds of responses and was largely led by Clayton (Blue Outerlimits). It wasn’t even one weekend and I saw him leaving the nautical and not one person had a life jacket on. Lol. I took pics and texted him “so much for the pledge”

And the response was? You follow him on FB?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Has there been any updates on this? I have been in my own little world with Adam's deal.. Just wondering if they have found her yet, or where they are searching now?

RD

DLC

Reaction score
Is there anything we (RDP) can do to help out? Boat along the Ca side of the lake make passes with the fish finder...

Crazy it’s been this long, she is trapped and we need to find her! We all need to bring her home!

I keep reading this thread hoping they find her and she gets to go home!

This is a sad deal and it needs to end, her family needs it to end

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Dave.
You should ask if they need help. I am sure a lot of us would go launch and help out.
This is actually a good idea. Slow trolling the shore lines in a grid like pattern. I'd be we could get a ton of boats together and handle it.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
From what I understand a body will float up at a point.Sorry to be vulgar.Please correct me if I am wrong.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Just an FYI!... I went up river today, (took a friend that had nothing better to do and wanted to go for a boat ride!) and put a couple sets of eyes and electronics to work.

Entering on the no wake side has spots less than a foot deep and it's Full of Debris! -- As was the rest of river! -- ...Coming back out the other side had it's shallow areas but not bad.

Polarized glasses are a must! ...Water depth changes quickly especially when dodge'n Debris!....

... And thought just about the whole time! ...An Airboat would be an ultimate search platform for checking out all the nooks, crannies, reed beds, able to run in minimal water, eddies, set-up for night ops!....Anyway!

From what I understand a body will float up at a point.Sorry to be vulgar.Please correct me if I am wrong.

I was thinking the same thing!.... Then thought that might not be the case if a prop (or something else?) was involved!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A body will, if no outside forces act upon, float after a given time submerged. They may also sink again after a given time exposed to atmosphere. The problem may be the outside forces. The poor girl could be caught on debris, preventing her from doing so. No matter how you look at it, vulgarity, scientifically, it's just sad she isn't home....

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Just an FYI!... I went up river today, (took a friend that had nothing better to do and wanted to go for a boat ride!) and put a couple sets of eyes and electronics to work.

Entering on the no wake side has spots less than a foot deep and it's Full of Debris! -- As was the rest of river! -- ...Coming back out the other side had it's shallow areas but not bad.

Polarized glasses are a must! ...Water depth changes quickly especially when dodge'n Debris!....

... And thought just about the whole time! ...An Airboat would be an ultimate search platform for checking out all the nooks, crannies, reed beds, able to run in minimal water, eddies, set-up for night ops!....Anyway!

I was thinking the same thing!.... Then thought that might not be the case if a prop (or something else?) was involved!
Thank you for taking your time to help look.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
A body will, if no outside forces act upon, float after a given time submerged. They may also sink again after a given time exposed to atmosphere. The problem may be the outside forces. The poor girl could be caught on debris, preventing her from doing so. No matter how you look at it, vulgarity, scientifically, it's just sad she isn't home....

And given the amount of water exposure, heat, sun, and decay... I would let the authorities handle it. What has been seen can not be unseen.
I’ve looked for someone that was in a swift water accident after 10 days and was briefed on what to look for. I wanted to find him, but didn’t want to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectracular

Reaction score
To anyone in contact with the Search teams,

I sent a dozen emails out last night requesting help from companies that either Rent or Manufacture or Sell side scan sonars. I already have one company (SeaFloor Systems, Inc.) that is willing to "provide a small sidescan sonar tool from Hummingbird for the search if someone can mount to a boat and use it to search the bottom."

I left a message with Mohave Sheriffs Office, but if anyone can relay this info to the local authorities, I would appreciate it.

Edit: Another company (Rental Tools Online rentaltoolsonline.com) is willing to help by providing a side scan as well. They have reached out to the Sheriffs office directly.

Joel
joel dot blauvelt at gmail dot com

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know how to quote(I'm on the "trailing edge" of technology)... But DURAMAXYFZ pointed out that what is seen, cannot be unseen. Although I applaud the people who do this type of work, I surely do not envy them. I don't know if I am...was going to say "normal", but I know that's not the case...the exception or the rule. I have been at several fatalities. I can close my eyes and see the images like they are right in front of me. These are images you don't want to ever see, and yet there they are. I can't remember where my keys are, but could tell you what was on a T-shirt six years ago?! I hope Raegan is found soon, but I hope it's by a "professional". I know we all (I hope) mean to be good people. I just don't want someone to be scarred forever, by trying to do good. That being said, I don't know how the pro's deal with it either.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there. There's this couple that travels around and searches for bodies in the water and they are considered the best. When all else fails people call them to locate the people in the water. In fact when my friends couldn't be found we called this couple and they were headed our way. We found them before they arrived.

They don't charge anything, they just ask for room and board. They have located many bodies here in NorCal that authorities couldn't including areas like The Delta and Lake Tahoe. Someone might want to give them a call.

Gene Ralston

http://gralston1.home.mindspring.com/Sidescan.html

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I'm just going to throw this out there. There's this couple that travels around and searches for bodies in the water and they are considered the best. When all else fails people call them to locate the people in the water. In fact when my friends couldn't be found we called this couple and they were headed our way. We found them before they arrived.

They don't charge anything, they just ask for room and board. They have located many bodies here in NorCal that authorities couldn't including areas like The Delta and Lake Tahoe. Someone might want to give them a call.

Gene Ralston

Yes , we should’ve called these people right away , that’s a great service .

endobear

Reaction score
Sad deal.
Buddy of mine and his dad used to train cadaver dogs among others. He mentioned to me that they would have a real good chance to find her fairly easy with the right dog and handler.

spectracular

Reaction score
Perhaps one of the Mods can create a permanent post somewhere that is a list of contacts that have helped/willing to help. No doubt this will happen again, but some of the info here is gold. Best to keep it somewhere useful for future reference.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Sad deal.
Buddy of mine and his dad used to train cadaver dogs among others. He mentioned to me that they would have a real good chance to find her fairly easy with the right dog and handler.

I would be shocked if they are not using a dog already, the scent would be coming up through the water, likely not above, but down stream a bit.... a dogs nose is incredible. For one thing, they possess up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, compared to about six million in us. And the part of a dog's brain that is devoted to analyzing smells is, proportionally speaking, 40 times greater than ours.Dogs' noses also function quite differently than our own

SoCalDave

Reaction score

Gene Ralston

Apparently they have already been contacted. I posted that info to the MCS FB page and below was what I was told.

Capture.JPG

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know how to quote(I'm on the "trailing edge" of technology)... But DURAMAXYFZ pointed out that what is seen, cannot be unseen. Although I applaud the people who do this type of work, I surely do not envy them. I don't know if I am...was going to say "normal", but I know that's not the case...the exception or the rule. I have been at several fatalities. I can close my eyes and see the images like they are right in front of me. These are images you don't want to ever see, and yet there they are. I can't remember where my keys are, but could tell you what was on a T-shirt six years ago?! I hope Raegan is found soon, but I hope it's by a "professional". I know we all (I hope) mean to be good people. I just don't want someone to be scarred forever, by trying to do good. That being said, I don't know how the pro's deal with it either.
My son at 18 started in ER at Pomona valley working night shifts.He has seen a lot of shit I would not want to see.He went though a few bad times there with children but 10yrs later he is a great pro in his field.With that being said,I really hope they find her soon.

guest hs

Reaction score

Gene Ralston

Great idea see,Grads you are useful

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I don't want this to sound cruel and insensitive. My thoughts and condolences are with the families and loved ones of the victims. I was once told by a LEO that Body Beach did not receive that name due to sun bathers. Currents and prevailing winds had often positioned searched for bodies in that area.

thmterry

Reaction score
Just saw this on FB
*UPDATE*

Hey everyone,
We haven’t found her yet. The search team has slowed their efforts but their efforts are still continuing. There are still boats, jet skis and sonar being used to look for Raegan. We are not giving up hope in finding her however, we are coming home to California. Our hearts are hurting that her physical body is not with us. We know her spirit is at peace and all around us.

To everyone that has donated your money, time, prayers and emotions...thank you. Truly thank you for your love. We are devastated, frustrated, angry, sad, confused and nearly every other emotion you can think of. Through this waiting game and being in Havasu, we were able to be together and tell stories, be a big family and most importantly support Scott, Jordan and Morgan.

Tabby is healing well and Brian’s funeral is tomorrow. Brian was on the boat with Raegan and passed away as well. Kirra’s funeral is the 22nd in Ventura. It is all public information you can search if you want more details.

We do not have a date for the funeral set yet but as soon as we do, we will let you all know. It’s going to be a celebration of life, something colorful and beautiful just like Raegan.

This grieving process is a lot harder without physically having her. Scott is staying and assisting in the search and is coming home to Visalia soon.

Please be sensitive with your questions towards the family when you do see them. Shower them with love, don’t ask 21 questions.

Light a candle tonight, say a prayer that they find her as soon as possible and take a picture with the hashtag #thinkbeautifulthoughts for our Rae Rae

Thank you for all your love and prayers
2764.png
❤️

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Do you think the current could have pulled her into pirate cove or topic Marina?

LBLL

Low Budget Livin' Large
Reaction score
Sheriff’s boat has been scanning the shores all day. We saw them in front of our place and working their way up the gorge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound insensitive but I learned more about this process than most people should. I hate the terms 'body" and "it" but I don't know how else to describe this. In normal water temperatures and normal depths the body will most likely float somewhere between 5-8 days unless there is major trauma to it or it is caught on something. Maybe the efforts should be focused in the coves, shores and way downstream in the lake area. I'm not familiar with the area but it sounds like a fairly fast moving river that empties into a big lake.

I feel sorry for the family and friends....and this is hard to explain but it feels like they die twice. When the initial accident happens and you know they're gone and then once again when they recover their body. And in fact it was tougher on me when they actually recovered the body.

Last edited:

Jetdriver951

Reaction score
For such a unfortunate event I try to find the positive. While I constantly check to see if there are any updates on the search I thought to myself I am truly proud of the amount of love and support that my fellow RPD members have given. With all the bullshit and evil in this world my faith in humanity rises as strangers help strangers during this tragic event. Just like the September 11th terrorist attacks. We as Americans will do whatever is neccessary to preserve our freedom and our petty differences suddenly mean nothing. In this case we stand together and represent that we are boaters. We love the water and we understand the risks involved. It doesn't matter if your a power boat, cruiser, wake board, fishing, or simply a jet ski boater. Seeing us come together to offer our homes, our own time and equipment to help the victims put closure on this tragic event makes me proud to say I am a RDP member. Thank you all for the hard work, suggestions, and advice that is put out on this forum. Lastly and certainly not the least to the survivors that have lost so much I pray and stay positive that the last girl is found and the hearts of the survivors can start to heal.