WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Head on at Topoc?

Slats

Reaction score
Navigation light are a necessary requirement after sunset. But, put them against some back lights and they become very difficult to distinguish. BTW - The USCG definition of sunset is, "When you can no longer see the sun". Therefore when the sun drops behind a hill or mountain, it is "Sunset".

Tragic accident. Let's wait for the facts to come forth. But, IMHO, boating on a major holiday weekend and boating after sunset, bring on substantial increased potential hazards.
I agreee. I used to be a weekend warrior driving from ca to Laughlin for the weekend. Getting all the boating in I could. I’m older and “ wiser” ?? It’s no big deal now a days. Night time on the river is a whole different game than my nights on the lake.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The story just hit the news here in Hawaii. Said 4 are still missing.

riverholic88

Reaction score
The story just hit the news here in Hawaii. Said 4 are still missing.
yes, there are 3 females and 1 male still missing, the owner of the Hallett is the Male, one of his daughters, daughters friend and another female

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
yes, there are 3 females and 1 male still missing, the owner of the Hallett is the Male, one of his daughters, daughters friend and another female
Damn.......[emoji852]️[emoji852]️[emoji852]️

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
WOW........ I hope there is closure for all involved in this at some point. Such an empty feeling.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Very very sad. Thoughts for all involved

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 679035 There are a number of things to get confused with between land and boat lights that you really have to be on your game, and even then. Ive lost all peripheral vison of the banks and its eery.

One thing I hated about my Ultra is that the gauges were on with Nav lights, which is a night blinding recipe for a disaster IMO. We never drove more than a short float from the house. Sad deal for sure

Schiadas are rigged with a separate switch for the gauges so you can turn them off at night if you want.

Last edited:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Schoadas are rigged with a separate switch for the gauges so you can turn them off at night if you want.
Same with my boat. Nav lights and interior lights (including gauges) are completely separate.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JJK94

Reaction score
Heard 3 boats coming up river just leaving the 5 and boat coming down no lights wrong side and at speed

socal0487

Reaction score
yes, there are 3 females and 1 male still missing, the owner of the Hallett is the Male, one of his daughters, daughters friend and another female.

This popped up on Facebook not to long ago.

Attachments

• DA339E21-D578-4276-9657-9CC3106B72E6.jpeg
    DA339E21-D578-4276-9657-9CC3106B72E6.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,010

buck35

Reaction score
I heard Last night that one of the missing is related to my neighbors. They are from the Visalia area.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Very tragic and too late to ever correct the tragedy.... My heart goes out to all involved...

boatpi

Reaction score
Really says something about wearing a PFD at night, of most of the time. Not trying to get ahead of this, but did anyone see the videos, looks like a rear ender or it struck another boat nearly head on with the right front making impact? I see the right front of the deck boat has damage.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
But just a thought. If your floating at night. Why not keep your lights on. Not saying that’s the problem. Just wondering going on current info.

If you are anchored or floating you should only have your white light on. This is why the white light is supposed to be in clear 360 view and the tallest part on the boat, not hidden behind your guests, bimini or tower.

Red and green lights “on” mean you are under power and when viewed in direct sight you cant always tell if the boat is moving or not but if you see them you have the expectation the operator wll be giving way to some degree. If you see only the white nav light, it lets you know you have to give way and the white light boat is the stand on.

Its all great but how many people at thre river know the night nav rules. I bet if you ask: do you pass red to red or green to green you will get a 50-50 answer lol or be asked, what are you talking about

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
All the more reason to own night vision if you night Boat regardless of speed.

thmterry

Reaction score
Posted 1 hour ago
Dive ops starting. The Colorado River will be closed to all boat traffic in the area of the no wake zone near the Topock Marina. Personnel from multiple agencies supporting #MCSO investigation. ⁦@SEBLASD⁩ ⁦@OCSD⁩ ⁦@LVMPD⁩ ⁦@azgfd⁩ ⁦@MCoSheriff

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I think this was the 285 involved. They were pulling it out earlier.

Holland%20285-sm.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
If you are anchored or floating you should only have your white light on. This is why the white light is supposed to be in clear 360 view and the tallest part on the boat, not hidden behind your guests, bimini or tower.

Red and green lights “on” mean you are under power and when viewed in direct sight you cant always tell if the boat is moving or not but if you see them you have the expectation the operator wll be giving way to some degree. If you see only the white nav light, it lets you know you have to give way and the white light boat is the stand on.

Its all great but how many people at thre river know the night nav rules. I bet if you ask: do you pass red to red or green to green you will get a 50-50 answer lol or be asked, what are you talking about

If they're "Floating" they should have their NAV lights on. Anchor light is for anchored or moored only. If you don't have an anchor down or moored, you are technically underway and underway requires Nav lights at night.

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
I used to have white backed gauges in my old Ultimate. I replaced all the gauge lights with red bulbs as red doesnt dialate the pupils and doesnt look look like a hand full of mag lights pointed at you.
Maybe that explains why my 1996 Hallett 210s has red light gauges... they are easy on the eyes. Thanks for the info. I boated a couple of times from the dam down at dusk and into the night just so my family and I could experience the bats flying over the river (presumably getting their evening snack). It was amazing. But on the way back I had to have the floodlight lit up so I could see the shoreline. That part was not fun.

rvrrun

Reaction score
View attachment 679035 There are a number of things to get confused with between land and boat lights that you really have to be on your game, and even then. Ive lost all peripheral vison of the banks and its eery.

One thing I hated about my Ultra is that the gauges were on with Nav lights, which is a night blinding recipe for a disaster IMO. We never drove more than a short float from the house. Sad deal for sure
The gauges probably use a 194 bulb, finding a red led replacement is very easy.

2Driver

Reaction score
If they're "Floating" they should have their NAV lights on. Anchor light is for anchored or moored only. If you don't have an anchor down or moored, you are technically underway and underway requires Nav lights at night.

Be nice to hear from boatcop, seems like a grey area.

The premise is that floating engine off means you are not capable of moving your craft and it signals to the other operator he is the full give way craft.

You can float into backwater, still water and when anchored you can drift from one side of the anchor to the other, the common thread is you are not on power and are not able to move

In a situation I didn't think an oncoming saw me, I would illuminate the boat interior with my spot light for 2 seconds with my eyes closed so as not to night blind myself. The oncoming craft would get a clear 2 second glimpse of my boat without getting blinded.

Last edited:

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Ktla news said 1 of the 4 missing was found this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
Ktla news said 1 of the 4 missing was found this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mohave County Sheriff's Office
46 mins ·
The Mohave County Sheriff's Office Division of Boating Safety is continuing the search for the missing boaters after a boat collision that occurred on Saturday (9/1). One of the missing boaters was located in the Colorado River on Monday (9/3) at approximately 7:30 AM and was identified as Christi Lewis, 51 from California. At this time, the other 3 boaters are still missing. The Mohave County Sheriff's Office will continue to patrol the Colorado River until all the unaccounted for passengers are located.

ssc

Reaction score
i saw that on eye witness news. Very sad situation for all involved and their family and friends.

RIP, Steve

Magic34

Reaction score
Be nice to hear from boatcop, seems like a grey area.

The premise is that floating engine off means you are not capable of moving your craft and it signals to the other operator he is the full give way craft.

That's why it's called an anchor light, you are correct. On the larger boats, when underway, the forward facing anchor light actually turns off, leaving just the rear facing light on.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I might be wrong but theres a hallett similar in the islander
Tragic

Magic34

Reaction score
Though I have no desire any longer to boat in the night hours if I did I would add lights like this to my boat... it is somewhat analogous to riding a street motorcycle ~ the louder the better.

I agree, when on the bay, I'd open the blinds in the cabin and turn all the lights on so as much side facing light was visible as possible. Out in SD though, Blue is everywhere with Navy and Harbor patrol. When we'd take the dinghy out at night, I'd light it up exactly as your photo shows.

Seeing lights should be easy though on the river. Sadly, someone made a fatal error that cost either them and friends lives. A quick flash with a spotlight at an oncoming boat could help avoid disaster as well, it saved me once. Things that are not thought of until it's too late. This is such a sad ordeal for family and friends of the victims. Prayers to them.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Though I have no desire any longer to boat in the night hours if I did I would add lights like this to my boat... it is somewhat analogous to riding a street motorcycle ~ the louder the better.

View attachment 679211

This is actually not good, and illegal for night boating anyway being blue and it may not even be legal in any color for that matter. The legally required Red/Green and 360 white is all that is needed, and why it has centuries of establishment in maritime law. Having this much light ruins your eye's ability to adapt to the night and see the shorelines and other obstacles that are unmarked, and does the same to other boaters in the area.

The problem with night boating is not lack of lighting, it's people that have no business boating in the day time let alone at night, don't understand the rules of the water, or how to safely boat at night.

This whole story is so sad, and so avoidable, i feel sorry for all the victims that were just out to enjoy a holiday weekend and have had their lives completely turned upside down...

instagator

Reaction score
Really? Maybe not the skater nation or mti’s however I think there are plenty of big go fast boats on the water this weekend! How big or fast does a boat have to go to have an incident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did a big go fast boat have an incident ?

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
This is actually not good, and illegal for night boating anyway being blue and it may not even be legal in any color for that matter. The legally required Red/Green and 360 white is all that is needed, and why it has centuries of establishment in maritime law. Having this much light ruins your eye's ability to adapt to the night and see the shorelines and other obstacles that are unmarked, and does the same to other boaters in the area.

The problem with night boating is not lack of lighting, it's people that have no business boating in the day time let alone at night, don't understand the rules of the water, or how to safely boat at night.

This whole story is so sad, and so avoidable, i feel sorry for all the victims that were just out to enjoy a holiday weekend and have had their lives completely turned upside down...
189448.jpg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
There is so much unfortunate misinformation in some of these previous posts. Statements about "floating", "grey areas", lights in addition to nav lights, underway etc. are just plain wrong. Some are asking for input from Boat Cop, when they should have a good knowledge of the rules themselves, if they operate a boat. It isn't rocket science. Believe the most recent publication is the USCG "Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook", dated 2014. In the past this pub has been known as the Rules of the Road, CG 169. Would proper following of these rules have prevented this tragic accident? Maybe. But, at the very least it would have been a good start. At this point we don't know what the nav light situation was for either boat. Racey just said it best, "there are people that have no business boating during the day time let alone at night, don't understand the rules of the water, or how to safely boat at night". Add some alcohol perhaps, and you have a sure recipe for disaster. But, at this point we really don't know what was the cause.

Bleakish Times

Reaction score
To add...
Anchored Vessels

While it is not technically required for recreational vessels to exhibit an anchor light unless they are outside of a designated anchorage, or anchored in a narrow channel or anchorage where other vessels normally navigate, the Rules state that “a vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-around white light where it can best be seen”.

At Fisheries Supply, we are firm believers that showing an all-around white light at the highest possible point on your vessel is an important safety measure. You never know when another boat might be on the move and will need to see you on a dark night – so why not make it easier on everyone and let them know you are there?

When anchored in a crowded anchorage with its attendant high speed vessel traffic, some skippers opt to show a light at deck level – perhaps a cabin or cockpit light – in addition to their anchor light, to alert speedboat operators who might not notice a light at the top of a tall mast. If you are concerned about the overnight power draw of lights displayed while at anchor, there are now plenty of LED options available – some of which even turn themselves off when the sun comes up.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
This is so tragic and scary. My 3 children were raised boating at night in Havasu. They were taught ,at night, how to navigate the shore lines on both sides while constantly watching for other boats, floating still or moving. They were taught what a safe speed is for the conditions, which for me, is usually just fast enough to be on plane with the bow down for an unobstructed view.
One thing I’d like to suggest for anyone boating at dusk or night. Get some clear lens goggles. No squinting from wind in your eyes. I have a few pairs in my boat at all times. There are always at least 2 sets of eyes keeping watch while driving at night.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Despite the horrible nature of this whole incident, some focus on proper lighting etc. may be a positive that can come from it.

I agree with BDM, and actually believe that trim tabs are a safety item for night boating. I too run just on plane, and can keep the bow down as low as 13 MPH on some boats I've run. That was a Carrera 228 with Eddie faux K-planes. My 270 will hold a reasonably flat plane with tabs full down at 18 MPH. I'm considering going to larger tabs for this exact reason, I'd like to be able to run a little slower.

My other input is please keep the spot use to a minimum and turn your "docking lights" off unless you are approaching a dock. Hate those things!

Last edited:

socal0487

Reaction score
Sounds like the sleekcraft was underway with lights and the hallett did not

Attachments

• 190B87A3-908A-4AAD-ADAA-C801A19A5238.png
    190B87A3-908A-4AAD-ADAA-C801A19A5238.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 642

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Some asked for my input, so here it is.

Navigation lights are required from sunset to sunrise and in periods of reduced visibility whenever a vessel is:

1. UNDERWAY: (not moored, anchored or aground) - Red/Green forward lights and all around white light. (can be a split mast-light and stern light)
Drifting with propulsion off is UNDERWAY. Anchor deployed, but dragging, is UNDERWAY

2. ANCHORED: 360 degree white light on single pole/mount (cannot be split, as above)

And I agree. There is no "gray area". If you consider yourself a boater and don't know this, one of the most basic requirements, then STAY ON THE FUCKING BEACH!

5abf1aa5112bb935cc46d46743f7c66a.jpg