WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Head on at Topoc?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Agreed. This accident made my lady tell me that we should start wearing vests. We’ve talked about it before but, we think this might be the push. We’re going to call lifeline here soon to get some made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need lifelines for recreational boating...any good life jacket will do...if you're wearing it. In a collision, it's either the impact/head injury or drowning that kills you...any good jacket will prevent drowning, but if you're dead from the impact, the jacket will simply keep you afloat to make it so dive teams for 4 days aren't needed to find your body. If you run north of 80/90mph...then maybe a lifeline, otherwise, just put on a nice comfy vest and boat responsibly. If you do those 2 last things...it is very unlikely that you'll ever need the life vest. If you boat irresponsibly and don't wear a nice comfy vest, it's very likely someone will be wishing you were wearing a lifeline.

poncho

Reaction score
They say that it is not one thing that causes a plane to crash but a series of failures strung together. I think you nailed it here.
Absolute truth when a fishing boat goes down.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

poncho

Reaction score
When we did the Topock night run we did 7 mph all the way back, it was boring as hell but at times still terrifying and we made mistakes reading the water completely sober, but at 7 mph we could laugh about those mistakes versus being dead.
I run as quick as I can without getting on plane after dark, been my policy for many years.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Pretty sure the first set of buoys headed up river say no skiing or towing for the next 17 miles and that takes you right to the no wake zone before the topock marina
Correct, but it’s about 1/4 mile from the bouys to the entrance of Pirates.

rumdad

Reaction score
If you watch the videos of the boats being pulled out you can see one had the stern light up and one did not. I'm not saying it didn't break off from the impact or from sinking. Just a observation

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
You don't need lifelines for recreational boating...any good life jacket will do...if you're wearing it. In a collision, it's either the impact/head injury or drowning that kills you...any good jacket will prevent drowning, but if you're dead from the impact, the jacket will simply keep you afloat to make it so dive teams for 4 days aren't needed to find your body. If you run north of 80/90mph...then maybe a lifeline, otherwise, just put on a nice comfy vest and boat responsibly. If you do those 2 last things...it is very unlikely that you'll ever need the life vest. If you boat irresponsibly and don't wear a nice comfy vest, it's very likely someone will be wishing you were wearing a lifeline.
that's not totally true. a lifeline jacket will float you face up. a regular jacket may float you face up or down. big difference when you're out cold.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I believe if it's CG approved it will float you face up...and most legal ski vests are CG approved..

Taboma

Reaction score
I believe if it's CG approved it will float you face up...and most legal ski vests are CG approved..

CG Approved Type I will turn most unconscious wearers face up. Most recreational lake boaters do not carry Type I, but favor Type II which may turn you up, but in rough water may not keep your head above water.

Here's a great site for explaining the various types of CG approved and a link to each state's requirements

https://www.boatus.org/life-jackets/types/

brgrcru

Reaction score
I trust my lifeline more then any other jacket. it is not coast guard approved.
my race jacket has thigh straps, a place to hook lanyard . and a neck float to put you face up.
my ski jacket, lets just say it will barely keep you up . probably rip off if you take a swim above 90 mph.
the orange jackets that everyone stores in the bow or under seats . not to be seen wearing them. are probably better then regular ski life jackets.
anyone of them is better then nothing.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This accident really makes you think about carrying a lot of people on your boat and the responsiblity you have as driver and owner.

I talked to the Sheriff’s boat around 5pm and he said they were still looking for the last person. So sad

Absolutely. But if people were truly concerned, everyone aboard would all wear life jackets all the time, and helmets. Driver would use the lanyard, no one on board would drink a drop of alcohol all day, and you would boat from dawn to an hour before dusk, and never go out in more than 10 MPH winds, etc.

This wasn’t caused by one mistake. It was a series of mistakes.

And these same people would need to be wearing helmets in the RZRs they drive around town, and have 5 + point harnesses in every seat.

Last edited:

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is hardly anyone wears a life jacket let alone use lanyards.
Very true.I never boated where it was unsafe and at proper speeds to make sure all were safe.It's kinda like riding a motorcycle,you always need to know your surroundings.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Very true.I never boated where it was unsafe and at proper speeds to make sure all were safe.It's kinda like riding a motorcycle,you always need to know your surroundings.

Totally agree with you here on the bike comparison. There is a sweet spot of driving too aggressive and too passive. You have to be a defensive driver at all times. A lot of that is...at least to me....a natural feel and awareness. Some of the cynical people will say it is paranoia. I don't consider it anything other than being responsible and aware and I always want to have an escape route.

RIP to everyone that passed in this accident. Condolences to all the friends and family as well.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
that's not totally true. a lifeline jacket will float you face up. a regular jacket may float you face up or down. big difference when you're out cold.

THe PFD is rated by type. Type I & II PFD is a face up style where even the unconcious wearer is face up. Type III is the typical "ski vest" and will keep you afloat but not face up.

jacket-types.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
THe PFD is rated by type. Type I & II PFD is a face up style where even the unconcious wearer is face up. Type III is the typical "ski vest" and will keep you afloat but not face up.

jacket-types.jpg

Type II will keep "SOME" unconscious wearers face up --- in calmer water conditions. At least according to BoatUSA.
Type I is far superior, especially for face up attitude, but far more bulky to wear.

Type II.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yea.. for all these people coming out of the woodwork saying they ALWAYS wear life jackets (on River Whips especially) a quick peek of their social media pages proves otherwise.

Not to side track the thread but not that long ago there was the “life jacket pledge” deal on there that had hundreds of responses and was largely led by Clayton (Blue Outerlimits). It wasn’t even one weekend and I saw him leaving the nautical and not one person had a life jacket on. Lol. I took pics and texted him “so much for the pledge”

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
that type 1 sure does look a hell of a lot like a lifeline lol. I hardly ever where my lifeline. water's always too jackup to go fast anyway. maybe this weekend.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Speaking of life jackets.
I think ? Pine flat lake (Fresno area) it was, or is mandatory rule, that all boaters must wear life jackets?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I think ? Pine flat lake (Fresno area) it was, or is mandatory rule, that all boaters must wear life jackets?
It was a test program they were trying out on a few lakes in California I believe. I dont know what the oitcome was of it but I believe it has since ended.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
If you watch the videos of the boats being pulled out you can see one had the stern light up and one did not. I'm not saying it didn't break off from the impact or from sinking. Just a observation

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Which boat?
From the videos on RDPFB, the Hallett Video at 2:10 min the guy in back lays a piece of grab rail into boat. Then at 2:20 he grabs stern light on port side that was laying forward in the cockpit and lays it back.
The Sleek video quality didn't play well but it kinda looks like there maybe a stern light bent backwards on starboard side as the boat is being towed in, but can't say for sure.

HitIt

Reaction score
That was a trial program that ended. I have been there since it ended to confirm. They still have racks of life vests at all of the launch ramps so that you can borrow one if you need it.

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
The driver seat was ripped out and sitting on the engine hatch , looks like the brackets were snapped . I could not imagine the impact and fear of what they all went through “ and going through “

buck35

Reaction score
and without casting any blame to either boat, how can one not see a stern light in the darkness? Sixteen people on two boats and nobody sees this coming, I have a hard time understanding how this could even happen . My heart goes out to them, but I just am having a hard time grasping what happened. :(

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Just came across the bridge looked empty as far as I could see. Is it still shut down. Was contemplating a morning burrito run to topock tomorrow.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
I went over the bridge at the 40 this morning around 10:30am. They had a helicopter in the air, a boat in the water and several vehicles on the shore. They were still working the scene diligently. Hope they find her soon.

OceansideRide

Reaction score
one word.....compassion
Important, true. Some situations suck though.

Kirra is the daughter of my good friend. She sadly lost her life. Her mom and sister are completely torn up. Theres nothing that fixes this pain, and we know, having been through it ourselves.
We've had a paid for cabin at Pirates for a year now for this weekend. We've been really wrenching on what to do, with her best friend still missing. Its unimaginable to be on that water in a lot of ways.
This whole thing is terrible. Every death on the river is, and theres been a lot lately.

OceansideRide

Reaction score
The cabins arent going anywhere. Skip the weekend. Your by me, oside. Hit the beach here, you will drive 5 hours and not enjoy one minute once there.
We've got people flying in from Boston for their annual taste of So Cal desert boating. Thinking about launching up at Mojave.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Or drive/tow down to cattail. Launch, float behind the springs, maybe run up to steamboat. Its a hour drive but so what. At least your head would be clear and you will have nice water down there

OceansideRide

Reaction score
Or drive/tow down to cattail. Launch, float behind the springs, maybe run up to steamboat. Its a hour drive but so what. At least your head would be clear and you will have nice water down there
That's a good idea. Just thinking how currents go on the river, and everything ends up in the lake, just sad. Cattail isnt too far. Other people with us were saying just go up river and have a beach day past the peninsula. I would call off the whole trip if it was up to me.

Really hoping for some closure for the Heitzigs.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
and without casting any blame to either boat, how can one not see a stern light in the darkness? Sixteen people on two boats and nobody sees this coming, I have a hard time understanding how this could even happen . My heart goes out to them, but I just am having a hard time grasping what happened. :(

I’ve seen plenty of anchor lights/stern lights, and while they’re legal, they don’t exactly jump
Out at you. Reflections on the water from lights on shore are many times significantly more pronounced. When it’s dark, the brain picks out certain things that it can see out of a bunch of features it can’t, and forms a conclusion. Being tired/impaired can play a roll too. I remember the last time I left Long Beach at 11PM to head out and miss traffic...about 2am or so I thought I saw UFOs or a bunch of emergency vehicles on rice road ...strange lights. I slowed to about 30mph for 10 miles, then finally pulled over, got outta the truck and tried to figure out WTF I was looking at. Wife saw the same thing. We got back after it, at a reasonable pace, until we realized it was just some lights on towers out in the middle nowhere. We’d done that trip 50 times at the same hour in the past, and never experienced that. Now we only drive that road under sunlight.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Ok grads. Helmets?
Absolutely. But if people were truly concerned, everyone aboard would all wear life jackets all the time, and helmets. Driver would use the lanyard, no one on board would drink a drop of alcohol all day, and you would boat from dawn to an hour before dusk, and never go out in more than 10 MPH winds, etc.

This wasn’t caused by one mistake. It was a series of mistakes.

And these same people would need to be wearing helmets in the RZRs they drive around town, and have 5 + point harnesses in every seat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk