WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Headed to Hawaii for the first time Wednesday, anything I should be aware of?

kurtis500

Reaction score
I got the negative test and filled out the endless online paperwork.. (joke) Going to Kauai then the big island. Be there a week. I dont have the vaccine but do have a negative COVID test. Are there any Nazi level restrictions for us unlcean non-vaccinated? Should I wear a yellow arm band while Im there noting my unlceaness? Or is it not that bad?

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Can’t offer anything on that as we haven’t been since the stupid began, but know this, you won’t want to come home.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Check with your airline for their restrictions. Last time we went over the summer lots of people in line at the airport had no clue about some of the restrictions and tests required. Some folks didn't make the flight as the didn't have their test results ready or in the correct format.

Other than that be careful at the bars when stopping for lunch. For us a quick cheeseburger turned in to 7 rounds of cocktails. Every lunch was like $300+ LOL

94essex

Reaction score
We were in the big island in July. Stayed in Waikoloa village. Everyone was laid back and cool. Had to wear a mask in doors but they didn't get on us to bad. Restaurants closed early where we were. Other then that they scanned the negative test getting off the plane and we were on our way. Only took and extra couple minutes

HBCraig

Reaction score
Hawaii is part of the region manage and I haven't been since this all started. Mainly because of all the testing requirements. I call me Hawaii customers regularly so it isn't that big of a deal

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
In Kailua- Kona we hung out at LaVerne's Sports Bar, and across the street is On the Rocks. Liked em both. La Vernes is upstairs and has a cool open air deck where you can look down at the action on the street.

Also don't miss Holy Donuts. Amazing artistic donuts.

There's a reef off to the right at Magic beach. If the surf is mellow there's lots of creatures to see. Turtles too!
They don't have many beaches.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
I got the negative test and filled out the endless online paperwork.. (joke) Going to Kauai then the big island. Be there a week. I dont have the vaccine but do have a negative COVID test. Are there any Nazi level restrictions for us unlcean non-vaccinated? Should I wear a yellow arm band while Im there noting my unlceaness? Or is it not that bad?
We have been to Maui a few times during this covid mess. If flying Hawaiian Air ask for them to "pre-screen" you here on the mainland. It will make entry once on-Island a breeze. They will give you a wristband

Boat 405

Reaction score
Nope, have fun, enjoy and post pics so we can live vicariously through you.

DWC

Reaction score
Went for work a couple weeks ago. Biggest pain is showing your paperwork everywhere you go. They still aren’t back to full staffing in most places. The service isn’t as friendly as in the past but still tough to beat the islands. Hope you’re getting a rental car on both islands. There’s ton to see and do and they’re scattered.
Pic of the “secret spot” on Kauai.

A8C14910-8AC5-4539-B2DA-615ECDC73B5E.jpeg

boatpi

Reaction score
I do not believe you need any test you need to upload your vaccination card and have the safe travel Hawaii app on your phone. The number one thing that you should not forget to do besides registering your entire trip including the address of the hotel is filling out 24 hours product travel the form indicates you’re not sick if not you’ll be stuck at the airport 30 minutes going through that.

It’s an excellent state website the best I’ve ever seen it’s not difficult

ssc

Reaction score
Don't leave anything valuable in your rental car. The number of car burglaries is more than you would think.

Cheers, Steve

C-2

Reaction score
Got back from Kauai three weeks ago.
Went for work a couple weeks ago. Biggest pain is showing your paperwork everywhere you go. They still aren’t back to full staffing in most places. The service isn’t as friendly as in the past but still tough to beat the islands. Hope you’re getting a rental car on both islands. There’s ton to see and do and they’re scattered.
Pic of the “secret spot” on Kauai.

View attachment 1072410

South Shore, Maehupele or something like that?

North Shore is where it's at brah :D 🤙

Take lots of masks, indoor compliance is 100% on Kauai.

Reactions: DWC

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Looks like its gonna be a wet one! "Catastrophic Flooding" predicted. Have fun and be safe.

DWC

Reaction score
Got back from Kauai three weeks ago.

South Shore, Maehupele or something like that?

North Shore is where it's at brah :D 🤙

Take lots of masks, indoor compliance is 100% on Kauai.
Just past CJ’s ranch. We took two rental cars over stuff we definitely shouldn’t have. No idea how the tires didn’t pop.

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
Looks like its gonna be a wet one! "Catastrophic Flooding" predicted. Have fun and be safe.
In April 2018, on the North Shore it rained 54" in 24-hours - the most rain ever recorded in US History.

We couldn't get to the family vacay home until Nov 2019. Roads were closed.

Then COVID.

Squatters took over the home.

Thus, our visit a few weeks back to start the process of kicking them the fucc out.

Tank

Reaction score
In kona I’d recommend lava Java for good bagel sandwiches and coffee. Sit there and look right out over the bay in the morning and watch all
The people jogging and walking in the morning along Ali’i.

I’d also recommend getting the ahi sandwich at The Kona Inn which is right down Ali’i from lava Java. But when you enter go right towards the bar instead of to the left which is the fancier (aka more expensive) restaurant. Like I said. Ahi is off the chain good. Fish and chips is bomb and they have a great burger too. Also, probably the best mud pie you’ll have in your life. Made with China coffee ice cream. Bomb. Also, hit the Kona Brewing Co. you may have drank the beers as they’re all over the country but this is the original spot and the pizza is CRAZY GOOD!!

There’s a bunch of cool touristy stuff to do I wrote about on RD’s thread. Drive to havi and around the island are really cool. Snorkel cruise through fair winds is great. Fumin da ditch is fun. Lots of stuff depending on how
Much time you have. Great place. Beautiful. Have a great trip.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
in October on Oahu you needed a negative test in the last 48 hours to eat inside. It was hit or miss on enforcement but many places asked for it so it was best to have it. The testing was expensive one day my GF talked the local test center into a freebie and another day the Polynesian center had free testing prior to entering. I had my vax card a couple times they didn’t look at it but mostly they did. Best to plan most stuff outdoors which is easy to do there.

2Driver

Reaction score
I was talking to the person we rent from in Poipu Kauai, She said make dinner reservations for January right now WTF.
She said with distancing, tables are reduced and the more popular places get booked weeks out. That didnt bother me, we usually hit the fish market and grill it beachside.

I'd be most concerned of what the protocol is if you end up with covid in HI. Do you get on the plane, are you quarantined where do you stay, and how do you get around if you can’t leave. All really good things to know before you go.

Tank

Reaction score
RD said Kona was way less restrictive when he was there a month ago.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
The locals are dicks.
That is why we stopped going to Hawaii, felt like they were doing us a favor by being there. I know it’s not the most popular with the folks here but every trip we take to Mexico is better than the last.

I think we are over traveling anywhere for a while. I am over all the restrictions to get back in to the US but other people can walk across the border.

Fuck it, I am out.

Mikes56

Reaction score
That is why we stopped going to Hawaii, felt like they were doing us a favor by being there. I know it’s not the most popular with the folks here but every trip we take to Mexico is better than the last.

I think we are over traveling anywhere for a while. I am over all the restrictions to get back in to the US but other people can walk across the border.

Fuck it, I am out.
We love Baja, been there several times for off-road races and trips. The people are dirt poor, but so kind.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
doesn't matter if you've been tested or not if you don't follow https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/ to the letter you're fucked. if you aren't vaxxed you will be testing several times or not eating out (this may have just changed??)

To the poster who posted locals are dicks...you get what you give back home and obviously we can tell what you give.

We're going home for xmas...on island less than 4 days. Seeing friends, having the parents see Mak and then GTFO..I don't want to be there right now with all the crap going on...unfortunately we lost one of my first cousins wife this week to cancer so I'll likely be back home within a month or so for a funeral again.

Last edited:

kurtis500

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We did fill out all the paperwork on the online site for visiting Hawaii and should be good to get in. We have numerous copies of the COVID tests and multiple masks. We are all set with Delta also. We fly to Kauai Wednesday and then to Hilo on Saturday I think for the remainder of the trip. Im sitting in Park City now and its suppose to snow 2ft Friday and Saturday so Im a little bummed we're leaving but excited since Ive never been. We have a rental car for the later half of the trip but no car for Kauai.

Im getting worried about having to have the vax to eat. Seems like Im going to need the yellow jew, err.. i mean non-vaxxed arm band in some of these places.

C-2

Reaction score
When you arrive at your airline at the airport, that's where you show your test results/card and then you will receive the pink wristband that shows you have been cleared for the travel "exception." We flew Hawaiian and the check-in for the wristband was at the customer service counter - it was a decent sized line. Even if you check in online, you still need to get your wristband.

You won't need vax cards or test results to eat on Kauai, just masks. And lots of cash. They keep you hungry over there by serving small portions.

Have fun :)

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
When you arrive at your airline at the airport, that's where you show your test results/card and then you will receive the pink wristband that shows you have been cleared for the travel "exception." We flew Hawaiian and the check-in for the wristband was at the customer service counter - it was a decent sized line. Even if you check in online, you still need to get your wristband.

You won't need vax cards or test results to eat on Kauai, just masks. And lots of cash. They keep you hungry over there by serving small portions.

Have fun :)

Wrest band change colors…..

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! We did fill out all the paperwork on the online site for visiting Hawaii and should be good to get in. We have numerous copies of the COVID tests and multiple masks. We are all set with Delta also. We fly to Kauai Wednesday and then to Hilo on Saturday I think for the remainder of the trip. Im sitting in Park City now and its suppose to snow 2ft Friday and Saturday so Im a little bummed we're leaving but excited since Ive never been. We have a rental car for the later half of the trip but no car for Kauai.

Im getting worried about having to have the vax to eat. Seems like Im going to need the yellow jew, err.. i mean non-vaxxed arm band in some of these places.
There is a lot to explore all over Kauai, from one side the wettest place on earth to the other dry Grand Canyon like.. You’ll need a car

FreeBird236

Reaction score

Not sure if things have changed in the last 6 months, but you'll need to be proficient with QR codes and cell phones, and that's not for menus, it's for getting through the airport, rental car, hotel check-in, etcetera.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

FYI the islands are getting massive amounts of rain and flooding right now. The whole "turn around don't drown" slogan is important at the moment. Enjoy your trip, Kauai is a fun place

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
Check the airline you’re flying on, I just got a notification that Hawaiian is delaying flights until Wednesday the eighth. Rain is a bitch

gqchris

Reaction score
agreed,they bitch about the tourists but without us they aint got jack shit. fuck your mahalo
Almost sounds like a tweaker desert town I know of............. called Havasu 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
agreed,they bitch about the tourists but without us they aint got jack shit. fuck your mahalo

Do the locals of Havasu truly appreciate their California visitors who bring the $$$ with them and leave them there ?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
The volume of tourists going there is unreal now, and is having a negative impact. IG "influencers and such really fucked a lot of local spots by posting and doing things they shouldn't. One of my uncles lives right by the start of haiku stairs aka stairway to heaven. I'd sell if I was him just over the BS they deal with on tourists parking/pissing etc. Tourism is 20% of the economy...Its far from the only industry. Military, Healthcare, Real Estate, and manufacturing are the biggest industries in HI outside of tourism. If bases closed then there would be a shitshow economic wise.

Last edited:

mobldj

Reaction score
The volume of tourists going there is unreal now, and is having a negative impact. IG "influencers and such really fucked a lot of local spots by posting and doing things they shouldn't. One of my uncles lives right by the start of haiku stairs aka stairway to heaven. I'd sell if I was him just over the BS they deal with on tourists parking/pissing etc. Tourism is 20% of the economy...Its far from the only industry. Military, Healthcare, Real Estate, and manufacturing are the biggest industries in HI outside of tourism. If bases closed then there would be a shitshow economic wise.
not on kauai.have family by marrage there.that island dont have shit but tourism. unless you count red dirt shirts and shaved ice as a industry

Dettom

Reaction score
Apparently,you’ll need a raincoat and galoshes…

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
OP just an FYI you couldn't pay me to get in the water even after the rain subsides. If the water is brown at all stay out of it.. It's going to be a mess over there for a bit over this kind of rain.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
Check with your airline for their restrictions. Last time we went over the summer lots of people in line at the airport had no clue about some of the restrictions and tests required. Some folks didn't make the flight as the didn't have their test results ready or in the correct format.

Other than that be careful at the bars when stopping for lunch. For us a quick cheeseburger turned in to 7 rounds of cocktails. Every lunch was like $300+ LOL
You must have been with some real party people!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Funny, this is from my coworker in Hawaii today. View attachment 1072596
My in-laws were in Vegas for a raiders game, they got delayed on going home. The pics my cousins/friends have posted on IG are crazy. There is a ton of damage. he's right on the trash though...the beaches/ocean are going to be NASTY for a while.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Yes. Make sure you get permission to surf Haole... And if you do get to paddle out, don't shred so bad you break your stick! Oh.. and slippahs are a must.🤟

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Do the locals of Havasu truly appreciate their California visitors who bring the $$$ with them and leave them there ?
As long as they go home we do.

kurtis500

Reaction score
First full day here. Kauai is amazing! Starting to go over the list you guys gave us before heading to Hilo on Sunday for 4 more days.

Rain is over thankfully

Attachments

• B0D294E8-4E6A-4B63-9458-9C4E4989418F.jpeg
    B0D294E8-4E6A-4B63-9458-9C4E4989418F.jpeg
    830.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 5A94ECAE-9568-4CF9-87F0-918036BDE3FC.jpeg
    5A94ECAE-9568-4CF9-87F0-918036BDE3FC.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 26